• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Semi-Weekly AMA: redfeatherraven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

1577834023176.png

redfeatherraven
This is it, folks! Our last AMA of the year and decade. See y'all in 2020!

This AMA's subject is the raddest 25th Pokemon on the boards: redfeatherraven!

As always, all site rules are in effect. Please try and limit yourself to one post containing up to three questions until redfeatherraven has answered, then you may ask more. And when asking questions, please keep it civil. Have fun! If you're curious about if you're on the list of future AMAs, refer to this post over in the Social thread. If you're not and you'd like to be added, please send me a message. We'll try to draw two names for two AMAs each week, so stay tuned! And if you wanna check out some of the older AMAs, please refer to this post in the Social Thread

righty, redfeatherraven redfeatherraven , ya ready?

I'll start:
  1. What would you say was your most hype Smash reveal?
  2. What are your top 3 favorite movies
  3. What's your favorite variation of your many Pikachu edits?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Howdy!

1. Exactly how many Pikachu do you have in there?
2. You are tasked with creating an animated series. What’s the plot?
3. How ya doin?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Sure thing, lemme just get comfortable.

avi_sitting.png

I'll start:
  1. What would you say was your most hype Smash reveal?
  2. What are your top 3 favorite movies
  3. What's your favorite variation of your many Pikachu edits?
  1. Hard pressed to say, as I haven't had anyone I've really been pining for. But if I had to pick I'd either go with the cavalcade of reveals in the Everyone is Here trailer (just pulling it off, I thought they were mad), or the Joker reveal (as I'd recently finished P5 and was both blindsided and caught up in the hype cycle).
  2. The Blues Brothers takes the top slot just for its place near and dear to my heart. After that, it's difficult to place; probably two of Inception, The Dark Knight, Snatch, or Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
  3. Got a handful of favorites, each for slightly different reasons: Computer, Twili, Red Mage, Robin, and Space Ghost.

avi_computer.png
    avi_twili.png
    avi_redmage.png
    avi_tactician.png
    avi_space_ghost.png

Each of these was made between 2013 and 2015. There's a joke in here about "they don't make em like they used to," but honestly it makes me feel old to say.

Besides, ain't like I'm done.
How did you become known as the Pikachu guy? When did it all begin?
Depends on the definition.

If you mean the edits, I've always been a little artsy and used visual gags for humor. Did a lot of ****ty edits on other things which have evolved into marginally less ****ty edits over time.

Modifying the avi pretty much came from practical reasons - i.e. wanting to trim it out of the source image and tweak it a smidge.

The Halloween after I joined, I slapped the shades on something else and called it a day.
halloween_avi.gif

And after that I took to filling out the missing parts of the original avi.
avi_full.png

From there it'd been my face for a year from the time I'd joined, so it kinda became my stand-in, letting me insert myself into visual gags.

wordsinyourmouth.png

And also let me do avis for other holidays.
avi_xmas_cropped.png
avi_newyears_cropped.png

Then I started doing visual gags involving changing my avi before a post. Had to dig up when, and I can't really recreate the effect on the new Xenforo design, but a bunch of PGD regulars got sick at once and I checked in on em wearing this.
doctoravi_full.png

A boatload of night shift IT work gave me ample time to mess around, it just kinda snowballed as my ego did. I liked doing it, people liked the results. Good **** all round.

As to why I seem to get so strongly associated with pikachu now, I'd imagine the real tipping point was the release of Smash 4.

Up till then I was hanging out in the Brawl PGD and sure, I'd established myself as this pika, but we were all pikas. Didn't really branch out or hop anywhere else until Smash 4 arrived and the Brawl board populations mostly went pop in the aftermath.

Despite my efforts - which, I'll admit, weren't much - I couldn't really bring the old PGD feel to the new crowd, and I dipped. When I wandered off to find other places to chill, I mingled with people who mained all sorts of other chars and being a pika was suddenly kind of novel - especially when I found myself close to the only pika on the Robin and Zelda GDs, or in the Disco Room while it thrived under Hong.

And when I kinda dipped in playing and maining a pika was no longer The Point™ and after three to four years of rolling up in mostly the same name and avi I figure I was just the most consistently visible pikachu in the room for a long while.

The last part is, well, I kinda fell into it for identity's sake.

When I joined, I'd just jumped into my first real tech work position, having finally escaped lolling about from soulless job to soulless job for something like four years. I wanted to get in good with the crowd there, and Smash was a way to do that. Then I wanted to get in good with the crowd here, and pika pride became a way to do that. Then I wanted to get in good with other people around SB, and funny edits became a way to do that.

By the time the validation cycle had completed, I'd grown fond of it above and beyond just being a rock to cling to. It was me, for all intents - some kinda I am thou, thou art I **** that I just kinda adopted and grew to enjoy.

So. Me bein full of myself aside, that's bout every angle I can think of.

Howdy!

1. Exactly how many Pikachu do you have in there?
2. You are tasked with creating an animated series. What’s the plot?
3. How ya doin?
  1. It's real hard to say because of the way I store my stuff but the main folder looks something like this:

1577842463730.png

2. The sitcom-like misadventures of an acerbic psychopomp and a host of denizens stuck in limbo between this world and the next.

Doodled a stack of comics for it in high school, can't find em now. Would prefer to use updated material, but wrapping my head around an episodic format is something I'd have to get used to again.

3. Been better, been worse. Ain't dead, got plans, look pretty. Can't ask for a lot more.
1. You ever play Quest 64?
2. Did Red Herring do it?
3. Do you know Feather Dance?
  1. Nope. Only time I've ever seen a copy was at my cousin's; passed it over for Kirby 64 at the time.

2. 1577843539737.png

I mean if by "it" you mean got a tattoo at like age 8 which holy **** dude why then yes he certainly did.

3. It's not very effective.
    avi_shoddyfeatherpasting.png

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
  1. Isn't a red feathered raven just a cardinal? (Oh **** I think I just got it.)
  2. What's your favorite Pikachu edit you've made?
  3. Didn't you already have one of these? I swear you already had one of these.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
  1. Isn't a red feathered raven just a cardinal? (Oh **** I think I just got it.)
  2. What's your favorite Pikachu edit you've made?
  3. Didn't you already have one of these? I swear you already had one of these.
  1. Corvids, regardless of their color, are actually completely ineligible to hold any office in the Roman Catholic Church, and are only very rarely consulted on the selection of popes.
  2. Alas, Ramen beat you to it.
  3. Possibly during the series of Disco Room interviews a few years ago, though not recently.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Alright then, I need to ask a new round of questions since my last two were duds.
  1. What is the single best bourbon in Kentucky? Like, if you could only pick one. THE best.
  2. Did you ever at any point consider switching to Alolan Raichu on the basis that Alolan Raichu is ****ing awesome?
  3. When I come out there for Louder Than Life this year can I crash at your place? I'll bring snacks.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Scuse the delay, it's been a busy weekend.

Alright then, I need to ask a new round of questions since my last two were duds.
  1. What is the single best bourbon in Kentucky? Like, if you could only pick one. THE best.
  2. Did you ever at any point consider switching to Alolan Raichu on the basis that Alolan Raichu is ****ing awesome?
  3. When I come out there for Louder Than Life this year can I crash at your place? I'll bring snacks.
  1. Can and will vouch readily for Boone County Bourbon Cream, but that's like vouching for Bailey's as a whiskey. Oddly, never pinned a best bourbon down, for me at least. Will have to put that on the to-do list. I'll get you an answer once I got one though.
  2. I did not, but it is awesome.
  3. Alas, my couch is the world's most uncomfortable piece of junk. Wouldn't host anyone on it. But it's looking to be replaced sometime, so maybe nearer to the event there'll be an option.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
1. Ham or Tuna?
2. How many Pikachu variants do you have?
3. Are you more of a cute person with a bad attitude, or ugly yet wholesome?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
1. Ham or Tuna?
2. How many Pikachu variants do you have?
3. Are you more of a cute person with a bad attitude, or ugly yet wholesome?
  1. Normally I'm on Team Seafood, but ham wins out over tuna.
  2. Difficult to count, but at least 315.
  3. The former by miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom