• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Semi-Weekly AMA: Hat N' Clogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

1579392563880.png

Hat N' Clogs

This AMA's subject is all dressed up from head to toe, ready to answer some questions: Hat N' Clogs!

As always, all site rules are in effect. Please try and limit yourself to one post containing up to three questions until Hat N' Clogs has answered, then you may ask more. And when asking questions, please keep it civil. Have fun! If you're curious about if you're on the list of future AMAs, refer to this post over in the Social thread. If you're not and you'd like to be added, please send me a message. We'll try to draw two names for two AMAs each week, so stay tuned! And if you wanna check out some of the older AMAs, please refer to this post in the Social Thread

alrighty, Hat N' Clogs Hat N' Clogs , you ready?

I'll start:
  1. What would you say was your most hype Smash reveal?
  2. What are your top 3 favorite movies?
  3. What are your overall thoughts on the first fighter pass, and are you picking it up if you haven't already?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Howdy!

1) What would you name a duck?
2) You are tasked with creating an animated series. What’s the plot?
3) How ya doin?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1. You ever play Quest 64?
2. Any specific brand of clogs you wear?
3. You ever watch Sonic Boom?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

alrighty, Hat N' Clogs Hat N' Clogs , you ready?

I'll start:
  1. What would you say was your most hype Smash reveal?
  2. What are your top 3 favorite movies?
  3. What are your overall thoughts on the first fighter pass, and are you picking it up if you haven't already?
My body is indeed ready :mybodyisreggie:

1. Right now... there are two nominations: Miles "Tails" Prower from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, and Lena "Tracer" Oxton from Overwatch. Tails is my favorite character from the Sonic franchise, and with how he's a ton of fun to play in Smash Flash 2, I'd probably love him in Ultimate as well. He's also a very sweet character and I relate to him well, since both of us have a knack for the academics and have subtle passion and ambition, but lack self-confidence and tend to be very self-critical. With Tracer, she was my FIRST ever main in Overwatch, and has been my go-to DPS character since I bought the game on January 3rd, 2017. She's a very likable, bubbly character with a tricky yet fast-paced and extremely fun moveset that I think would translate simply into Smash Ultimate. She's also the flagship character of the ONLY first person shooter I've ever played that I'm somewhat good at, so there are massive points for her there. It's gotta be Tails and Tracer for me.

2. Top 3 favorite movies.... hoo boy, I love this question

BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME: Star Wars V; The Empire Strikes Back. It has literally everything I love in a movie: it's got a very well-paced, engaging story, has one of my favorite movie casts, the acting and scripts are superb, has the GREATEST plot twist in movie history (who could forget the infamous "I AM your father" from Darth Vader?) and the cliffhanger leaves you with enough hope that the heroes WILL win eventually, but it won't be without struggle and is still a slight down beat. Out of the few sequels out there that is somehow better than the original movie... this is one of them.

SECOND BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME: The Godfather Part 1. The storytelling is SOOOO impeccable here. It has some of the best shots in any movie as well. While Citizen Kane certainly revolutionized camera work and how movies were produced, the Godfather took those brilliant principles and elevated them to a whole new level. Not to mention it's a very sophisticated story in itself with realistic characters and documents a breath-taking journey of how a single person named Michael "Mike" Corleone transforms from a noble, honorable, kind-hearted military vet into a calculating, cold, power-hungry mob boss. It's so brilliant; all of it. Also, who could forget Vito, played by Marlon Brando? Legend.

BRONZE MEDAL: Casablanca. It was either this movie, Toy Story 2, Dark Knight, or Star Wars: A New Hope. Casablanca ends up winning out. Released shortly after Citizen Kane, it feels a lot like Citizen Kane in that the main protagonist is a bit hard to like for a while. But, by the end of the movie you end up loving the character. Humphry Bogart did a brilliant job with playing the main character of Rick Blaine. And the acting is some of the best I've seen in any film, ever. Citizen Kane may have revolutionized how film-making was made, but concerning sheer quality... like Godfather before it, Casablanca is seriously something on another level.

Honorable mentions: Toy Story 2, Dark Knight, Star Wars: A New Hope, Schindler's List, Citizen Kane, Back to the Future Part 1, Inside Out, and Grave of the Fireflies.

3. Smash Ultimate fighter pass opinion time:

:ultjoker:- Cool character from one of the greatest games released in recent years. He's also fun to play and very fun to watch on stream, especially when it's MK Leo pulling off them sick combos. I'm here for it!

:ulthero:- Mixed opinion. From a series I don't really care about at all. The character themselves... they're either absolutely hilarious and fun or totally infuriating. There is no in-between.

:ultbanjokazooie:- Never played the Banjo games, but PERFECT. CHOICE. Nostalgia is flowing through the veins of many a Banjo player, and I'm super happy he's in Smash with his best friend Kazooie! The duo isn't a character pair I'd pick up, but I really like their moveset.

:ult_terry:- Out of the three shoto fighters, he's my favorite. I find :ultryu: ABSOLUTELY infuriating, and :ultken:to be quite a challenge when in the hands of the right player. But Terry? Even when fighting a good Terry, I never mind the matchup. He's a very flashy, interesting character and his booming personality is something I can appreciate.

Byleth- Never played Fire Emblem 3 Houses. Seeing another Fire Emblem character... there's an aura of disappointment, but the character also has an archery kit and other tools, so I wouldn't exactly classify Byleth as a "Marth clone" like Lucina. It's a sensible choice since 3 Houses is a very popular game right now, but for me? Eh... I don't care or feel meh about it, but tbh I think many need to chill as well. Sending threats to Sakurai is sickening and it gets me seriously PO'ed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
1. Favorite animal?
2. Ever seen any Godzilla movies? Are you a fan?
3. Favorite childhood cartoon?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Howdy!

1) What would you name a duck?
2) You are tasked with creating an animated series. What’s the plot?
3) How ya doin?
Hola

1A. Donald. For obvious reasons. Or Scrooge... for possibly equally viable reasons. I still need to watch Duck Tales, btw.
2A. Animated series? Ooooo... well here's the thing: tbh with how my brain works, I probably wouldn't come up with a random concept on my own, but rather come up with an animated show that relates to an already existing franchise. AND, if i made an animated series... it would be Undertale, and it would be based on the fanfic story that censorship censorship and I are writing. It's about how Frisk is adjusting to being ambassador and living life with Toriel on the surface, while at the same time Asriel gains his real body back and adjusts to life with his family again. It's an action-adventure-comedy story that's 50% hilarity and 50% dark drama. It's been a wonderful project, and it's almost finished. If I were to create an animated series, it would be based off of that fanfiction story my bud and I are writing.
3A. Tonight? Not well. But I'm doing my best to work through it.

1. You ever play Quest 64?
2. Any specific brand of clogs you wear?
3. You ever watch Sonic Boom?
1A. Nope, and I probably never will tbh.
2A. My favorite pair of clogs? Well, all are created equal and are quite exquisite footwear. But if I had to choose one pair, it is most certainly Japanese clogs, in honor of the ORIGINAL, the one and only... Kisuke "Mr. Hat n' Clogs" Urahara, from Bleach.
3A. I've seen a few episodes. I think it gets better as the show goes on, and Dr. Eggman is a RIOT in that show. My favorite character in Sonic Boom. Tails is a close 2nd.

1. Favorite animal?
2. Ever seen any Godzilla movies? Are you a fan?
3. Favorite childhood cartoon?
1A. Fox and Penguin are my top 2. They've flip-flopped over the years, but the Fox wins out right now. Frog used to be #1 FOREVER, and Cat was #1 forever as well, but that's not the case anymore.
2A. Nope. My exposure to the Godzilla movies is nada. RIP.
3A. Hard choice, but I really loved the original 60s Scooby Doo and Tom & Jerry. Pokemon was in it for a while, and I started getting into Naruto when I was 12.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
1: What was the inspiration for your username?
2: What's one significant accomplishment you'd like to make in life?
3: What do you consider to be some of the scariest Horror films you've ever watched?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
1. What's your favorite portrayal of Tails across the entire Sonic franchise (games, comics, etc.)?

2. How experienced of a dancer are you?

3. I know that you're a fan of watching hockey and football but do you partake in sports yourself?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
1: What was the inspiration for your username?
2: What's one significant accomplishment you'd like to make in life?
3: What do you consider to be some of the scariest Horror films you've ever watched?
1. The inspiration for my username comes from my favorite Bleach character; Kisuke "Mr. Hat n' Clogs" Urahara. He's serves as a bit of a mentor to the main protagonist Ichigo, and has a lot of hidden depth. He comes off as an absent minded professor at first, but eventually reveals himself to be a scary cool soul reaper and one of the few who's able to match the main villain, Sosuke Aizen. I'm not a Bleach fan anymore due to the series falling off a while ago (it also ended somewhat recently in very unceremonious fashion) but I still appreciate Kisuke "Mr. Hat n' Clogs" Urahara to this day.

2. One significant accomplishment I'd like to make in life? Well, I already completed one, which was graduate MagnaCumLaude from college. I would say the next is to master the classical dialect of Hebrew and Greek so my own abilities in my own job may be enhanced. Being a church minister, knowing Biblical languages is a big advantage since you're able to get into the meat of what the Bible is *actually* saying. Knowing these languages would be very advantagous to me, so becoming tri-lingual with the classic dialect of Hebrew and Greek being the languages to accompany English would be pretty beneficial, I'd say.

3. Scariest horror films? The Shining, for sure. It's also my favorite horror movie. It doesn't rely on jumpscares like many horror films, but instead creeps out the viewer slowly through brilliant imagery and character development. The shots in the film are fantastic, and seeing Jack go insane is both horrifying and breath-taking. I'd vote for Halloween as an honorable mention as well.
  1. Favorite food?
  2. On a scale from 1-50, how fun is dodgeball to play?
  3. Are you planning to watch Survivor: Winners at War?
1. My favorite food at the moment is the cheeseburger. It's a basic pick, I know. But, when you cook it right and get that gorgeous charcoal flavor, it really makes my night. My favorite recipe goes like this: burger cooked to medium well, with sharp cheddar as the cheese. The meat and cheese is topped with fresh lettuce, tomato, mayo, mustard, bacon, and a lightly toasted bun. Gorgeous meal. Chicken parmesan and chicken wraps would be honorable mentions, concerning your question.

2. 42/50. It's highly fun.

3. Nope. Got burned out by the show, and with how they're inserting that non-sensical "edge of extinction" twist that spits on the original vision of the show to outlast your opponent through clever gameplay, I'm not going to bother. Redemption Island disregarded the outlasting via clever gameplay as well by elevating challenge beasts with no cleverness whatsoever, but Edge of Extinction disrespects the original vision in the way that it's separate from the official game as a whole... people camp on an island and just... wait. It's the waiting game; it's something so far removed from the formula of the show that it becomes nonsensical.

1. How did you learn about your MBTI type?
2. What is the best thing you have ever done?
3. What do you like most about Smashboards?
1. To preface, my MBTI type for anybody who doesn't know is ENTJ (extroverted-intuitive-thinking-judging), also known as the "Chief." They're known for enjoying leadership, being intelligent and analytical, having a "maverick" way of seeing the world and going about things, and their greatest strength is the sheer amount of ambition and will that we have. However, our key weaknesses include normally coming across as impersonal or even blunt on occasion, and many of us ENTJs suffer from harsh self-criticism, always aiming to be the best and if we're not the best, it ain't good enough. Having the fear of "I'm a bad person" is common as well, and I deal with that heavily.
Now then, to answer your question directly: I learned through various tests, personality studies, and also being typed by "typologists" myself. By talking with people that have studied personality type, they were able to help me determine that ENTJ is my personality type, based on my interaction style, strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. But, ESPECIALLY interaction style. Interaction style with other people plays a big part in determining what someone's personality type is. If you want to learn more about your TRUE personality type, check out CS Joseph's youtube channel.

2. Best singular thing I've ever done? To be honest, it's probably the career path I chose. Working in the church leadership, social work, and education realms have all been very beneficial to me, and I've enjoyed all of them to one degree or another. It's my calling in life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

3. What I like most is the friends I've made along the way. I've made some wonderful friendships on here, and the main reason why I stay active on here is because I love interacting with those people I've made serious bonds with. It's wonderful, and it makes talking about Smash Bros, pop culture, or other topics all the more enjoyable and easier. I enjoy their company.

1. What's your favorite portrayal of Tails across the entire Sonic franchise (games, comics, etc.)?

2. How experienced of a dancer are you?

3. I know that you're a fan of watching hockey and football but do you partake in sports yourself?
1. OOOO, good question. He's a wonderful character <3 but there are certain incarnations of Tails that are far better than others. My favorite two are from Adventure 2 and Battle, as far as the games are concerned. Tails has his best character development in Adventure 2, going from an intelligent yet scared kid into a key force in saving the world from the Biolizard. He becomes more confident in his abilities and is less timid, which shows great development. He's also an engaging character in Battle as well. Being the one who tweaked and worked on Emerl throughout the entire game and then having to destroy Emerl in the final fight, his character goes through a lot of emotional highs and lows in the game, and it makes him more relatable. In general, Battle has low-key good character development and storytelling for a Sonic game, but Tails' character rises to the top.
I also enjoyed Tails in Sonic Boom, because he gets a good balance of all his key traits from the games, yet his character isn't butchered (on that note, Forces Tails is the worst Tails, by far. Just plain shameful what the writers did to him; character regression incarnate).

2. Next to none. I can't dance OOF.

3. Yes, I do like watching sports, especially hockey. Go Leafs <3
But I don't play any sports atm. I played tennis in my spare time during college, but eventually stopped playing because I didn't have a reliable tennis partner to play with. Maybe one day I'll pick it up again, here's hoping.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Do you have any action figure collections?

2. First experience with Sonic?

3. Favourite Marvel team?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
1) Was it the butler in the study room with a butter knife or the groundskeeper in the storage shed with the pruning sheers that led to Mr. Whitehallschimerschmidtsmith’a untimely demise?

2) In the classic tale of Jurassic Park, was it the archaeologists studying the dinosaurs...or the dinosaurs studying the archaeologists?

3) Which color would you attribute the number three to and why? If sources are cited, please enclose it within an annotated bibliography.

Last edited:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Here are my questions:

1. Your Favorite Kart Racing game?

2. What's your history with your Smash Mains?

3. Your Favorite Fruit?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
  1. What is it about Tails that made you gravitate to him? What's special about him to you?
  2. How've you been? Been good?
  3. Where do you see yourself in five years? Aside from still posting here, of course.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Plenty of questions to catch up on now :p Before I answer them, thank you all for asking. It's been a fun time.

1. Do you have any action figure collections?

2. First experience with Sonic?

3. Favourite Marvel team?
1. I had a Star Wars action figure/miniature collection I would play with ALL THE TIME when I was a kid, including the Star Wars tabletop RPG. One of my favorite childhood memories. I still own a few of those figures and the core rulebook for the RPG somewhere. Most of them are in storage back at my parents' place though.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 for the Sega Genesis... played it at my cousin's house when I was like, 8 or 9 years old. Been in love with the franchise since, even with it's hefty bumps along the way. Back then, Marble was my least favorite zone since I could never get past act 3... but nowadays, it's Labyrinth... EASILY.

3. My favorite Marvel team: Tony Stark (Iron Man) and Peter Parker (Spider-Man). RDJ and Holland have excellent portrayals of the characters in the MCU, and the dynamic they set up made me love them all the more as characters, especially in Endgame. If it can't be that duo, it's the original Avenger six.

1) Was it the butler in the study room with a butter knife or the groundskeeper in the storage shed with the pruning sheers that led to Mr. Whitehallschimerschmidtsmith’a untimely demise?

2) In the classic tale of Jurassic Park, was it the archaeologists studying the dinosaurs...or the dinosaurs studying the archaeologists?

3) Which color would you attribute the number three to and why? If sources are cited, please enclose it within an annotated bibliography.
1. Simple: they wanted Mr's money, so they YEETed the life right out of his body.

2. Yes :p

3. Yellow, because of the three states of our yellow sun: rising, midday, and setting. Refer to this link for more information: https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/terraria_gamepedia/6/6c/DayAndNightCycle.png

Here are my questions:

1. Your Favorite Kart Racing game?

2. What's your history with your Smash Mains?

3. Your Favorite Fruit?

1. Mario Kart DS had a special place in my heart growing up. Double Dash was also much fun, and I enjoy Deluxe when I'm able to play it, but I don't own it atm so that's a RIP.

2. Oooooo I love this question!
I first played Melee in 2005, and fell in love with the game instantly. The duking it out between Nintendo characters and others is the most incredible crossover ever... aside from Avengers IW/Endgame of course. But anyway, when I first played Melee, :mariomelee: and :pikachumelee: were my top 2 because I was absolutely in love with those characters and loved to spam their most wack moves... and I still love them to this day, but I play them very differently now :p Once I was able to get my hands on Melee and OWN it (which was 10 years later), I wanted a character who was very flashy and had fast combos... so while I still kept :mariomelee: as an alternate main and :pikachumelee: as a "for funsies" character, :falcomelee: became the top dog once I bought Melee. I've also dabbled with :foxmelee:, :marthmelee:, and :jigglypuffmelee: as "serious" characters that I'd use in Melee, but :falcomelee: and :mariomelee: remain my top 2 atm.

Brawl is... weirder. Instead of restricting it to a couple characters, I had a bit of an identity crisis with Brawl. When I first played the game at release, I was instantly drawn in by :sonic: because I was like "a SEGA character in a NINTENDO GAME?! DUUUUUDE" and fell in love with Sonic instantly, even with his awful KO power. But, knowing me and my roots, I quickly swapped back to :mario2: and :pikachu2: and mained them for a long time before :falco:, :diddy:, and :marth: joined my roster after a few years of playing the game. And, those top 5 of :mario2:, :pikachu2:, :falco:, :diddy:, and :marth: stayed that way until something funny happened in late high school/early college for me... I saw how FOW became a mid tier hero and played :ness2: quite frequently, despite being an MK main at heart, and I decided to pick up the character randomly... and LOVED how Ness played. His flashy combos, strong KO power, and adorable yet hilarious voice made me fall in love with Ness instantly. :fox: also joined the fray because he just feels natural to me in Brawl. So right now, :ness2: and :fox: are my top 2 in Brawl, with :mario2: and :falco: being flairs of the past I still use sometimes. I also use :warioc: but only to troll lol.

Project M is a weird beast. But due to their intricate combos and flashiness/"fun" factor, :ness2: and :falco: are my go-to two in PM.

Smash 4: The game when I started playing the game competitively, or at least somewhat competitively. :4mario: instantly stuck out to me due to his high buffs and how he was not only seriously fun to play again, but also *really good*. And, he finally won a major!!!! <3 When Ally beat ZeRo, that made me so happy, seeing my Italian boi win a major. So, I started maining him more than ever. And, he was my first ever "tournament serious" character. :4fox: and :4ness: were alternate mains I'd use in certain matchups due to past experience with them and also loving their designs in 4, but Mario was my most polished character. :4sonic: rounds out the top 4, but after his back throw nerfs and also getting much better with :4mario:, :4fox:, and :4ness:, Sonic fell down the depth chart.

Ultimate: :ultmario: was my first ever main, and I've always been a Mario supporter since he's my childhood video game character, seriously. I flippin love Mario. And I still love using Mario to this day, especially in doubles. However, his toolkit just isn't something I'm *as* used to in Ultimate. Due to such, my former Smash 4 secondary, :ultness:, is NOW my main in Ultimate. He's so.... flippin... FUN to use in this game! His combos are very incredible and just feels easy on the fingers and brain. I always love playing as Ness. Due to her nerfs and becoming a surprisingly fun character to watch now, :ultbayonetta: joined my roster in Ultimate and to be honest she's a BLAST to play. Right now, 1st is :ultness:, 2nd is :ultbayonetta:, and 3rd is :ultmario:. I also considered having :ultwolf: and :ultfox: as mains for a while, but I blow leads too often with Fox, and Wolf doesn't fit my playstyle as well as my top 3.

The og game I won't count since I only played it for a few days and haven't touched it in YEARS.

3. Purple grapes. No contest.
  1. What is it about Tails that made you gravitate to him? What's special about him to you?
  2. How've you been? Been good?
  3. Where do you see yourself in five years? Aside from still posting here, of course.
1. Tails has been my favorite Sonic character since I entered college, I'd say. He's such a pure soul <3 I love him because I see many traits in myself that are also in him: both of us have keen brains that crave knowledge, we love our craft, and have secret ambitions that aren't always seen, but once revealed... they're known very well. He's also a pleasant character which I aim to be in everyday life. But, his critical weakness is self-criticism and lack of confidence... and I've dealt with that a lot in my life. He's got a very gentle spirit as well, and he just oozes likability in most of the games... *most* of them (Forces Tails can be retconned plz). He's definitely my favorite Sonic character because he oozes likability and has a personality I can relate to. Oh, and I love his design. Adorable, especially classic Tails. <3

2. Up and down, but right now I'm good.

3. Still working at my job and doing my best to do what I need to do. Outside of my career, in five years I'd like to be at least a solid competitor in my local Smash scene, have a dog that will be a loyal companion, hopefully get married, travel to at least one foreign country that's exciting and very different in culture that I haven't seen yet (Japan, Russia, Argentina, etc.), and hopefully at least get started on my master's degree I want to pursue.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
1. Are you a Phantom Thief?
2. would you play a main title Sonic game if Tails was the only person you could play as to save the world and **** Sonic has to deal with? To make up for his downgrade in Forces of course
3. Any Smash character you hate fighting (whether it’s just one character from any game overall or your most hated character per game)?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
1. Are you a Phantom Thief?
2. would you play a main title Sonic game if Tails was the only person you could play as to save the world and **** Sonic has to deal with? To make up for his downgrade in Forces of course
3. Any Smash character you hate fighting (whether it’s just one character from any game overall or your most hated character per game)?
1. "You never see it comiiiiiiiin....~" :p
2. Sure, why not. As long as the game is good, I'm totally down for that.
3. My most HATED matchup in Ultimate is DEFINITELY :ultpalutena:. I freaking despise facing her because she's the hardest matchup for :ultness:. Out-ranges my favorite PK kid, insane edgeuard options which doesn't help with Ness' average recovery, her n-air... her n-air... her n-air... you get the picture. :ultlucina: is also very tough in Ultimate for :ultness: mains like myself, so she's a "dishonorable" mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom