• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Semi-Sarcastic) Little Mac's Canonical Power

Buckett

Smash Rookie
I've always had a really strange obsession with Super Smash Brother's canonical tier lists and how certain characters would fare if they were as powerful as they usually are. I see a lot of these tier-lists always rank Little Mac pretty close to the bottom. I don't think he's S tier by all means, but he's at least worthy of B or maybe even A tier.

Let's review why.

The Donkey Kong Fight
I thought I'd tackle this one first as this one will most likely be argued that it is non-canonical to the Punch-Out series and therefore it should not be counted towards Little Mac's canonical power. However, I disagree, because we know Donkey Kong is in the Punch-Out universe. After all, Mario is a canonical referee in the originial game, and both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. can be seen in the audience. Therefore, not only do we know that DK is present in the universe, but we also know that he's been following Little Mac's career for a while.

Now that we've discussed the canonity of this appearance, let's explain why it makes Little Mac so powerful. In the game, during Mac's Final Stand, Mac defeats Donkey Kong. What makes this so powerful? In Donkey Kong Country Returns, we see DK literally punch a moon out of orbit. To be fair, this isn't a very large or heavy moon, but nonetheless it is an extreme feat of strength. This same being is defeated by Little Mac in the ring.

The Sandman Fight
Sandman in the Punch Out universe is incredibly, incredibly strong. He took out an entire building out of anger towards Little Mac. He is a formidable fighter, and maybe even rivaling Little Mac in fighting prowess. However, he is still defeated by Little Mac multiple times, showcasing Little Mac's insane power.

Superhuman Abilities
One thing I notice people mentioning is Little Mac's presence as a normal human. However, we know this is completely wrong. For example, Little Mac is able to transform into Giga Mac during multiplayer matches in Punch Out. This form makes him slower but increases his toughness and strength considerably. However, we can argue this is not canon. After all, we don't see him do this during any canon matches, and it is only present in the non-canon multiplayer mode. However, what we can call canon is Little Mac's punching speed. In Punch Out, when you begin punching an opponent, the timer slows down, showing that Little Mac is punching at inhuman speeds. However, this still isn't the end of my reasoning for Little Mac being incredibly powerful.

Training
This is not new to anyone. Little Mac is a hard trainer and never stops training. He's the underdog and therefore has earned his place. However, I just wanted to touch on something that may or may not be canon but, if canon, certainly boosts his placement. In his release trailer for SSB4, we see Little Mac training specifically for the Smash tournament. This means that Little Mac has observed and learned every fighters power and has most likely worked on a technique to take them on.

This is why I believe Little Mac is god-tier. He is able to defeat the likes of Palutena, Kirby, and anyone else in one swift blow. He is a god-killer. The Smash cast trembles in fear at the very mention of him.

Obviously, none of this matters. I just thought it would be nice to make a fun little post to distract everyone from the absolute misery of maining Little Mac. It's not illegal to have fun. :)

Top Bottom