• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Selecting "Play" in Project: M launcher causes Wii to return to Wii Menu screen

KOMET Version 7.0

Smash Rookie
I recently discovered the Super Smash Bros. Brawl mod called Project: M through YouTube. And, I was blown away by what it had to offer. So, I decided to download the mod.

Since my Nintendo Wii console is not hacked, I downloaded the Hackless Wii ZIP (Full Set) version 3.02 - otherwise known as nohomebrew.zip - file on my laptop, where I extracted the .zip file's contents to my 1 GB SD card. Of course, I deleted all of my custom stages, including the three sample stages included with every Brawl save, and copied them to the laptop before starting the Project: M installation procedures.

After starting Brawl, I chose Stage Builder and watched as several lines of programming codes filled my TV screen until I eventually ended up on the launcher screen. Now, the issue is as follows: Whenever I select the "Play" option in the launcher, my screen turns black, the Brawl disc stops spinning, and then I'm taken back to the Wii Menu screen (where the Mii Channel, Wii Shop Channel, Nintendo Channel, etc. exist).

As you would imagine, I searched for a solution to this issue. Below is a list of the solutions I've come across to try to fix this rather annoying problem, all performed to no avail:
- Downloaded the Hackless Wii ZIP (Full Set) and extracted the files from the .zip file to the SD card, all of this performed several times.
- Tried downloading the Hackless Wii ZIP (WiFi Set).
- Tried downloading the Homebrew Option ZIP (Full Set), even though my Wii isn't hacked.
- Tried using an SDHC card, even though I needed to hack my console for this to begin with.
- Updated the launcher from version 1.03 to 1.04 in the launcher menu by selecting the "Update" option.
- Tried extracting the content of the launcher-1.04.7z file found after performing the update. In one attempt, I deleted the existing "apps" and "launcher" folders and copied the new ones from said .7z file. And in another attempt, I simply copied and pasted the new folders over the existing ones, as well as pasting the "update.xml" file on the SD card's root.
- Used the Wii Remote (without the Nunchuk) instead of the Gamecube controller to access the launcher from Stage Builder.
- Ejected the Super Smash Bros. Brawl game disc before selecting "Play" in the launcher and inserting it back again, all done while the launcher was running.

So the question is, how can I solve said annoying issue? I really want to play Project: M. But, this problem is crushing my hopes of doing so. Provided below are details of my SD card and the files/folders currently on it. Help is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the long read.

SD card information: SanDisk for Wii SD Card 1GB (White color).
Current files and folders: apps, codes, private, projectm, boot.elf, gameconfig.txt, update.xml.

PS: I own an NTSC/American console. I also own two copies of Brawl. One reads "Made in Japan" in the back, and the other reads "Made in USA." Both discs were used in attempting to run Project: M.
Additionally, I disabled the Smash Service and (for what it's worth) WiiConnect24, updated the console's firmware to 4.3, and formatted the SD card several times before and after downloading and extracting all the Project: M files again. Unfortunately, I still wasn't able to solve the problem.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
I had this issue happen a few times. Boot it up with gecko, the old operating system that the launcher replaced.

KOMET Version 7.0

Smash Rookie
Try downloading the hackless version on a different SD card (preferably a 2GB one) on the Made in USA Disc.
Will a 2GB micro SD card work with the hackless, "Stage Builder" method? Or, is there another method specifically used for micro SD cards?

I had this issue happen a few times. Boot it up with gecko, the old operating system that the launcher replaced.
Will Gecko OS operate with an unhacked console? Or, do I need to hack my Wii in order to use it?

KOMET Version 7.0

Smash Rookie
Use the stage builder method with standard 2GB card.
Apparently, I'm not going to be able to do that. Not with my Wii, at least.
It decided not to read Brawl anymore. I'm pretty sure it's because of the lens. :cry:

The good news, however, is that Project: M worked fine on my Wii U, with the old SD card that I used on my Wii. :joyful:
I seriously hope it doesn't crash, though. I'd be really pissed if it did.

I've got one more question, though: Is it possible to exit Project: M and go back to playing Brawl regularly? If so, how?
Thank you, KirbyKamikazi and Kati, for your help.

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Apparently, I'm not going to be able to do that. Not with my Wii, at least.
It decided not to read Brawl anymore. I'm pretty sure it's because of the lens. :cry:

The good news, however, is that Project: M worked fine on my Wii U, with the old SD card that I used on my Wii. :joyful:
I seriously hope it doesn't crash, though. I'd be really pissed if it did.

I've got one more question, though: Is it possible to exit Project: M and go back to playing Brawl regularly? If so, how?
Thank you, KirbyKamikazi and Kati, for your help.
Good for you that you finally got P:M running, but in order to go back and play Brawl normally, you would have to turn off the system and eject the SD card.
No, it is not possible to just "go back" and play Brawl normally. However, due the differences in gameplay between P:M and Brawl, once you start playing P:M, Brawl will feel liking you're always playing a Light, Tiny Brawl on PKMN Stadium 2's Flying stage.

Regarding your Wii, I think the reason you were having trouble was not because of the SD card or download you were running, but rather the Wii itself. Hope your Wii still works though.

mikayoyo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I finally found a fix for the launcher returning to the homepage after hitting play.
1. Load your SD card onto your computer.
2. Format into FAT32.
3. Copy "projectm" from the root of the SD card (F: or E: ) and move into the apps folder, keeping it also in the root of the SD card. Yes, you will have it in two different places.
4. Backup, save, then try!

Last edited:

Robert Volis

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I finally found a fix for the launcher returning to the homepage after hitting play.
1. Load your SD card onto your computer.
2. Format into FAT32.
3. Copy "projectm" from the root of the SD card (F: or E: ) and move into the apps folder, keeping it also in the root of the SD card. Yes, you will have it in two different places.
4. Backup, save, then try!
I tried this but I received no success unfortunately.

Blahblahwutever

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the bump, but every single thread about this I've seen leads to no solution.... Selecting "play" ALWAYS sends me back to the Wii menu without fail. My Wii has no problems reading any discs.

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
Apologies, but bumping again. In my case, however, after selecting "play" , i get a long pause on a black screen, a small movement of colors the middle of my tv, and then it resets brawl.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Still have no fix for it. I know one thing for certain, it's not my SD card. It works on my friends Wii, but not my Wii. Also, it has 0 issues loading any games by disk or anything, so it isn't my disk reader either

PokemasterTF

Smash Rookie
This could be the possible solution for some people. The SD card can NOT be named ProjectM or any variant of that name. That fixed it for me, hope it works for you if yours is named ProjectM

frownieman

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4270-4330-1579
Sorry if this is late, but here's a suggestion.
Once the launcher loads, remove your Brawl disc and put it back it. Then try opening the game.

ThoseUpAirsThough

Smash Apprentice
To help with people in this thread:
1. If loading PM through the launcher doesn't work, try Gecko OS.
2. Try using a 2GB SD card, insetad of any SDHC ones. It might work then.
3. Do not name the SD Card "Project M" or "PM" or anything like that.
4. If loading through HBC doesn't work, try hackless with a 2GB SD card and vice versa.
5. Make sure to have a gameconfig.txt in the root of your SD card, and have "AXNextFrame" set as the hook to use if you use Gecko OS.

Top Bottom