• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

SirLink

Smash Rookie
Even though he showed off the grab before, I definitely wasn't ready for the pivot grab U-throw. Hilarious.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I'm interested in seeing what other Marth playes such as yourselves think Marth's matchups against certain top tiers are like, namely, against :4bayonetta:, :4zss:,:4sheik: and :4cloud:.

I don't need to ask about :rosalina:, as her and Marth are my two most played characters, and coming from a Rosalina player, Marth defiantly has even matchup potential here. Rosalina in general struggles against disjointed hitboxes, due to their ability to safely hit Luma and dispatch the star child. Matrh's range can also pose a general threat to Rosalina, as he can stay at tipping distance safely when she's "Luma-less". I've even seen some Rosalina players say Marth could win the matchup, but I personally never found it that volatile. It's a matchup Rosalina CAN lose, and must tread carefully in, but in general, I feel still even.

So, any input on the other top tiers anyone?

Last edited:

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I really want to talk about this stuff so Here is my list. I have a rather controversial view for a high level marth (not quite top yet.) Anyway here is my chart. (44:55 50:50 and 55:45 i consider as even)

After playing absol I think marth goes pretty darn even with shiek but we'll see as new shiek evolves.

Zss isn't terrible anymore either Can get out of her up-bs and actually gimp her if you've practiced it enough

Most people know how i feel about cloud i think its even but I've begrudgingly put it as -1 in my chart.

As for Bayo, I really just don't know how to make that mu even.

Like the thing with Marth is, is you need to push him 100% before he can make a dent. I really don't feel other characters need to do this. This is why we see skewed match ups

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
I really want to talk about this stuff so Here is my list. I have a rather controversial view for a high level marth (not quite top yet.) Anyway here is my chart. (44:55 50:50 and 55:45 i consider as even)

After playing absol I think marth goes pretty darn even with shiek but we'll see as new shiek evolves.

Zss isn't terrible anymore either Can get out of her up-bs and actually gimp her if you've practiced it enough

Most people know how i feel about cloud i think its even but I've begrudgingly put it as -1 in my chart.

As for Bayo, I really just don't know how to make that mu even.

Like the thing with Marth is, is you need to push him 100% before he can make a dent. I really don't feel other characters need to do this. This is why we see skewed match ups
Interesting. See, I agree with most of what you said, but i'd swap the positioning of ZSS and Cloud (please, this is just my opinion, I know thing can get quite controversial lol). ZSS's changes didn't really do much to her in the last patch; they really just affected her damage output. I think Marth lost that matchup before slightly, and I still think he does.

Cloud however, I think has potential to be even. Say what you like about Cloud, but Marth has all the tools he needs to threaten Cloud off stage and sort him out. Quick aerials, and a Counter, which eats his Up B. It's also a mix of things, like shielding his Fsmash pushes you at Fsmash tipper distance, and general quick aerials, etc. Of course, majority of the time, Marth has to respect Cloud's moves, but Marth is more than capable of punishing them.

I also agree that Sheik is even (I'm glad there are others that share this opinion, finally!). I was the controversial kind that thought even before Sheik's nerfs, Marth had potential to go even with her. Now though, there's no doubt in my mind it is even.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Just now during Pound we see Marth vs Fox and Marth vs Bayonetta right after (False vs Larry Lurr and Pugwest vs Saj). Yes the Marths lost and with a very salty Pugwest; and I don't blame him as he was playing as campy as he could yet still lost. Marth vs Fox looking like a super bad MU (as I've been thinking it was), False didn't even take a stock. Yes Larry is the better player but we were still watching best Marth vs best Fox.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, a player like Larry has super brawl level experience against Marth.... But yeah, wouldn't say his matchs up with ANY of the speedier characters in the cast are better than disadvantages.

Bayo ... it's kinda frustrating to see that Bayo successfully out buttons/spaces/walls out Marth with down tilt and neutral air... lol. Literally Marth's thing, but significantly better with potential death combos attached.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Well, a player like Larry has super brawl level experience against Marth.... But yeah, wouldn't say his matchs up with ANY of the speedier characters in the cast are better than disadvantages.

Bayo ... it's kinda frustrating to see that Bayo successfully out buttons/spaces Marth with down tilt and neutral air... lol. Literally Marth's thing, but significantly better with potential death combos attached.
Is it the Marth player's fault if Bayonetta is outspacing him, cuz I'm thinking sword should beat bayonettas limbs? Unless I'm missing something or Naga forbid, Bayonetta really does easily outspace marth. (Mind you I haven't actually played this MU and haven't watched that match yet so I'm really just curious)

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The point I'm making is that she's easily out spacing marth.
And Marth cannot afford to get hit by either of the two moves, plus leaves himself very open for side-b/witch time if he's trying to play the out disjoint the limbs game.

CanadianCourage

Smash Cadet
Yeah that nair camping is hard to answer and just racks up percent.

Pound was amazing with pugwest doing okay and ABADANGO wining with MEWTWO!!! I'll be back right after I lab my co-main mewtwo (marth/mewtwo=m&m combo) for the next month lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Even so, IMO, Marth coming in at 17th place is nothing to discredit, that's a decent solid placement. Well done Pugwest!

(I can't remember seeing False use Marth, but he also came 17th, just thought I would mention)

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I've always known Mewtwo was one of the most overtuned characters in this game. Pound was no surprise to me.

The only Marth content I saw were the couple I mentioned (False v. Larry, Pugwest v. Saj); I'll check youtube for more when everything is uploaded.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
I've always known Mewtwo was one of the most overtuned characters in this game. Pound was no surprise to me.

The only Marth content I saw were the couple I mentioned (False v. Larry, Pugwest v. Saj); I'll check youtube for more when everything is uploaded.
I will say that, though I expected Mewtwo to be able to get solid placements after his buffs, I really didn't expect him to go straight and win the whole thing. It's kinda refreshing to see something like this.

For those interested, here's Pound's results (note Marth in 17th twice) - http://www.ssbwiki.com/Pound_2016#Smash_4_singles

CanadianCourage

Smash Cadet
I will say that, though I expected Mewtwo to be able to get solid placements after his buffs, I really didn't expect him to go straight and win the whole thing. It's kinda refreshing to see something like this.

For those interested, here's Pound's results (note Marth in 17th twice) - http://www.ssbwiki.com/Pound_2016#Smash_4_singles
yes I expected more top 8's and threes then a few months from now a win but lol Abadango is an overachiever.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Why did I not watch Penguindrum sooner? This show is ****ing excellent.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Bayo ... it's kinda frustrating to see that Bayo successfully out buttons/spaces/walls out Marth with down tilt and neutral air... lol. Literally Marth's thing, but significantly better with potential death combos attached.
And this is forgetting her Frame 4 stupidly disjointed Up+B BS that's also safe on block (tho not against Marth because Dolphin Slash OoS though the weak knockback he'll get on it might not be worth?)

I can safely say she's my least favorite character in this game not by a mile but probably by a galaxy and that I would literally pay a University tuition fee to have time altered and just put Wolf in instead or something. Everything about her just screams "We don't care" to me (feels like they just put Pre-Patch Diddy in the game with a pricetag in some aspects, not in ALL aspects, but some ;)), and I even think Cloud is moderately stupid but this is like that whole other level.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
lol I think I'm the only one here who isn't that into anime.
I've only ever done the basic, gateway animes (Dragon Ball and Naurto series) so I'm still pretty clean haha.

Edit: plus bits and pieces of Pokemon but that was long ago

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I've only ever done the basic, gateway animes (Dragon Ball and Naurto series) so I'm still pretty clean haha.

Edit: plus bits and pieces of Pokemon but that was long ago
I was into Naruto, but once it got to a certain point in Shippuden, I felt like series forgot what made it good or at least stopped doing what I felt made it good.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not too big on anime either... Watched a few episodes of a lot of things but nothing's stuck. Probably going to watch the whole Ace Attorney show once we get a definite yes/no on a dub.

Reizilla

Because shoutouts to traditional japanese endings.
Just don't forget the glory of fabulous max, and who died for our sins to ensure fabulousness everywhere.
;-;

I think they could've used more penguins though.

And too many beautiful people (feels bad man)

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm not sure how much it's different from the source material, I could only assume quite a significant amount, and tons of things were lost in the process.
But I really rate the adaption for everything but it's story telling. It's like 9/10+ for genuinely everything else lol

Reizilla

Hmm yeah I think it helped that I watched it all in two days, so it wasn't too bad in the end. Once a week must've been something else.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Off the topic of anime a second, this completely flew right past me, and I'm posting this here in case anyone else missed this too...

Karisuma, a tournament in Japan, Marth came 5th!

Taken from here (http://smashboards.com/threads/vayseths-voyage-karisuma-6-results-and-review.434443/), here are the top 16:

1st SHIG│9B (Bayonetta, Kansai)
2nd Taiheita (Lucas, Chubu)
3rd Atelier (Rosalina & Luma, Kansai)
4th SH (Fox, Chubu)
5th HIKARU (Donkey Kong // Bowser, Kansai)
5th Fuwa (Marth, Chubu)
7th ikep (Bayonetta, Chubu)
7th Kie (Peach, Kansai)
9th DoubleA (Villager, Chubu)
9th Earth (Pit // Corrin, Chubu)
9th Dachan (Little Mac, Chubu)
9th Sigma (Toon Link, Chubu)
13th Dio (Yoshi, Chubu)
13th Ako (Cloud, Chubu)
13th Tonsan (Sonic, Chubu)
13th Mazinger (Mario, Chubu)

Here's the full list of results: http://challonge.com/Karisuma6T

This is really nice, considering (as far as I know) Marth is kinda unspoken of in Japan. A top 5 placement is really sweet too!

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Off the topic of anime a second, this completely flew right past me, and I'm posting this here in case anyone else missed this too...

Taken from here (http://smashboards.com/threads/vayseths-voyage-karisuma-6-results-and-review.434443/), here are the top 16:

4th SH (Fox, Chubu)
5th Fuwa (Marth, Chubu)
7th Kie (Peach, Kansai)
13th Dio (Yoshi, Chubu)
13th Ako (Cloud, Chubu)

This is really nice, considering (as far as I know) Marth is kinda unspoken of in Japan. A top 5 placement is really sweet too!
I read the article (and it's cool because I know Vayseth, he was a TO in Michigan), it sounds like a smaller local with lots of new players who were used to playing online (apparently online is super popular in Japan) so it's not a big deal if Marth gets 5th or even 2nd.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Oh Penguindrum? I hear about that alot but I still have no idea whether I want to watch it, on a scale of 1 to Steins;Gate how good is it :p ?

I read the article (and it's cool because I know Vayseth, he was a TO in Michigan), it sounds like a smaller local with lots of new players who were used to playing online (apparently online is super popular in Japan) so it's not a big deal if Marth gets 5th or even 2nd.
I think it is still worth taking note of (at least to some extent) considering there were notables in attendance.

4th SH (Fox, Chubu)
5th Fuwa (Marth, Chubu)
7th Kie (Peach, Kansai)
13th Dio (Yoshi, Chubu)
13th Ako (Cloud, Chubu)

Ty <3 I wouldn't have even looked at this tournament had you not told me~ Do you know if there are vids and where I could find them?
I've never seen a japanese Marth before.
and kreygasm, earth used pit!?

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Oh Penguindrum? I hear about that alot but I still have no idea whether I want to watch it, on a scale of 1 to Steins;Gate how good is it :p ?

I think it is still worth taking note of (at least to some extent) considering there were notables in attendance.

Ty <3 I wouldn't have even looked at this tournament had you not told me~ Do you know if there are vids and where I could find them?
I've never seen a japanese Marth before.
and kreygasm, earth used pit!?
Yeah and if Marth won I would crazy because 9B plays Bayo and Ryu

Top Bottom