• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SEGA Rep: Character Poll

Which SEGA Reps do YOU want to enter the fray?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
This is a poll for SEGA characters to enter Smash
If you have a valid entry please write it down in the comments so I can review and enter the character into the poll
Current Runners:

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
I voted for Nights. I'd want a Sega rep from a series other than Sonic, in my opinion.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles: guest-starring Knuckles.He is rougher than the rest of them, after all.

Last edited:

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Knucks all the way and not that crappy ass sonic boom that you can pause and infinite jump from sonic boom either

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
No Ai Ai? Kinda thought he was Sega's second most successful franchise mascot? Either way I don't think Sega needs a second playable character yet and prefer third party franchises to only get a single playable character at this point in time.

Though I heard the female protagonist from Puyo Puyo is doing better than other Sega reps in the Japanese poll.

Last edited:

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
No Ai Ai? Kinda thought he was Sega's second most successful franchise mascot? Either way I don't think Sega needs a second playable character yet and prefer third party franchises to only get a single playable character at this point in time.

Though I heard the female protagonist from Puyo Puyo is doing better than other Sega reps in the Japanese poll.
Uh, I didn't know you can't edit polls :facepalm:, besides not only is :4ryu: joining the fray Sakurai stated that the roster is PURELY based on the fighter ballot so if these guys get enough support it will happen

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I think one from any one third party company is enough, but I'd go for Bayonetta. Most of the other sonic characters would just be clones anyway.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Uh, I didn't know you can't edit polls :facepalm:, besides not only is :4ryu: joining the fray Sakurai stated that the roster is PURELY based on the fighter ballot so if these guys get enough support it will happen
It isn't purely based on the fighter ballot, but it will be 'fan service.' If Goku or Shrek or Minecraft Steve were the top voted characters they wouldn't be added. Also Sakurai has to be able o envision them as a playable character and he sometimes feels strongly about certain characters (He can change his opinion with time as seen with Pac-Man and Villager's inclusion in Sm4sh.)

Also what does Ryu have to do with what I said? I said I don't feel Sega is needing a second playable character that badly right now and none of their other IPs really stick out right now. In the next smash? possibly. But in this one for fan DLC I just don't see it happening. They don't seem to be garnering the same amount of support as other characters.

The whole 'one character per 3rd party franchise' is just my personal feelings on the matter for Sm4sh, but maybe in future iterations.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
It isn't purely based on the fighter ballot, but it will be 'fan service.' If Goku or Shrek or Minecraft Steve were the top voted characters they wouldn't be added. Also Sakurai has to be able o envision them as a playable character and he sometimes feels strongly about certain characters (He can change his opinion with time as seen with Pac-Man and Villager's inclusion in Sm4sh.)

Also what does Ryu have to do with what I said? I said I don't feel Sega is needing a second playable character that badly right now and none of their other IPs really stick out right now. In the next smash? possibly. But in this one for fan DLC I just don't see it happening. They don't seem to be garnering the same amount of support as other characters.

The whole 'one character per 3rd party franchise' is just my personal feelings on the matter for Sm4sh, but maybe in future iterations.
Knuckles and Tails are both really high on the 3rd party scale with Silver and Bayonetta following suit, NiGHTS is one of SEGA's more relevant 3rd party IPs, and they are DLC you don't have to buy it, also I should've worded it more clearly, I meant any eligible 3rd party candidates BTW In my personal opinion 3rd parties should have more than 1 rep if they're close to nintendo

slambros

Smash Ace
I'd consider adding characters like Aiai, Amigo, Beat, Alex Kidd, Ryo... Sega has a lot to pull from.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Knuckles and Tails are both really high on the 3rd party scale with Silver and Bayonetta following suit, NiGHTS is one of SEGA's more relevant 3rd party IPs, and they are DLC you don't have to buy it, also I should've worded it more clearly, I meant any eligible 3rd party candidates BTW In my personal opinion 3rd parties should have more than 1 rep if they're close to nintendo
Which brings up another thing- can you honestly ay that Bayonetta or Silver or Beat or Ulala or the Chu Chus or Amigo or Billy Hatcher, etc. are on the same level of 'iconicness' that Pac-Man, Sonic, MegaMan, Ryu, or Snake? These characters don't just have history with Nintendo- they impacted the entire video game industry. Yes, if they do well on the polls they will get consideration, but at this point in time I am still very unsure if I want to see any of Sega's other characters in Smash. Do they really deserve to be there? If they have the fan support, sure. But there are other characters that trump them on that front so I really don't know. I'd prefer Ai Ai, then NiGHTs, then Amigo, then idk. It's the same thing I feel about characters like Shovel Knight or Rayman- can they really compare with the current guest characters? And in the case of shovel knight- who is to say he won't disappear/be forgotten in 5 years?
A little off topic but didn't the original director for NiGHTs make a soul successor to the franchise? That makes things look a bit grim for the franchise...
I will say that Sega feels like it has the least presence in Smash compared to Namco and Capcom. Capcom gets two fighters, Namco gets two items, a fighter, and extra non playable enemy characters. Still, I'd prefer to see a lot of this in the next Smash- maybe that is just me being a bit greedy and fearing that the next DLC characters will be the last ones and only be a couple characters.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^ i have to agree here, i'd rather just not see more sega characters in smash. that said, if there had to be one i'd choose knuckles(or eggman who would be a neat machinery based character). he could be a fun lightning-bruiser kind of character. I'm a big NiGHTS fan and would love to see them in smash but NiGHTS i feel would not work well as a playable character in smash and would be better suited to being an assist trophy.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337

Basically this. Super Monkey Ball has pretty much been a Nintendo exclusive game (I believe it was a launch title for the gamecube) and is a decently popular/known franchise. As for Puyo, despite it being mostly Japan only, has been on every Nintendo console since it's first game (with the exception of the Virtual Boy obviously). Arle, the very first protagonist who's been in every game, seems to be the popular choice. There are two other protagonists as well being Amitie and Ringo, each representing a different "era" of Puyo (Amitie representing the "Fever" era, after Sega had actually acquired the license rebooted the franchise, and Ringo representing the more "Modern" era where Sega decided to reboot the series once again). I can't think of any other potential Sega characters at the moment, though I guess any of the characters in that have had their games ported to the 3DS with that "3D Classics" thing gives them a better chance.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Which brings up another thing- can you honestly ay that Bayonetta or Silver or Beat or Ulala or the Chu Chus or Amigo or Billy Hatcher, etc. are on the same level of 'iconicness' that Pac-Man, Sonic, MegaMan, Ryu, or Snake? These characters don't just have history with Nintendo- they impacted the entire video game industry. Yes, if they do well on the polls they will get consideration, but at this point in time I am still very unsure if I want to see any of Sega's other characters in Smash. Do they really deserve to be there? If they have the fan support, sure. But there are other characters that trump them on that front so I really don't know. I'd prefer Ai Ai, then NiGHTs, then Amigo, then idk. It's the same thing I feel about characters like Shovel Knight or Rayman- can they really compare with the current guest characters? And in the case of shovel knight- who is to say he won't disappear/be forgotten in 5 years?
A little off topic but didn't the original director for NiGHTs make a soul successor to the franchise? That makes things look a bit grim for the franchise...
I will say that Sega feels like it has the least presence in Smash compared to Namco and Capcom. Capcom gets two fighters, Namco gets two items, a fighter, and extra non playable enemy characters. Still, I'd prefer to see a lot of this in the next Smash- maybe that is just me being a bit greedy and fearing that the next DLC characters will be the last ones and only be a couple characters.
Well I can definitely say Bayo isn't one of the first things I think of when SEGA is mentioned so no, Silver is a tough bag since he is one of the popular and recognized Archie characters but in terms of game he was literally only iconic because of his ridiculous boss fights and yelling "Its no use!" and also being the most broken Sonic character in history more than Hyper Sonic, but he did create 2 memes so...:confused:, Knuckles HE is iconic think about he debuted in one of the best games of the Sonic series Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which not only introduced Hyper mode but is the best Genesis game by many, and his character was improved in Adventure series, so yeah, Tails, heck yeah he's iconic people loved him from his debut and loved his character development in the Adventure series

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
If I had to choose a Sega rep I'd go with Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, he's zany, crazy, has a huge personality, fits right in Smash, is unique, and is quite possibly the most iconic villain not yet in the game.

If you don't like Eggman in his Luchador Alter Ego, your doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
O..kay since I missed a lot of characters I'll ask you if you want me to make a new poll next week so I have all the candidates in the comments I'm not sure if I have to lock this one first or what??

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No Eggman, no buy. :p

But I'll vote for Bayo since her support trumps the others right now, even if they were Sonic characters.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well I can definitely say Bayo isn't one of the first things I think of when SEGA is mentioned so no, Silver is a tough bag since he is one of the popular and recognized Archie characters but in terms of game he was literally only iconic because of his ridiculous boss fights and yelling "Its no use!" and also being the most broken Sonic character in history more than Hyper Sonic, but he did create 2 memes so...:confused:, Knuckles HE is iconic think about he debuted in one of the best games of the Sonic series Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which not only introduced Hyper mode but is the best Genesis game by many, and his character was improved in Adventure series, so yeah, Tails, heck yeah he's iconic people loved him from his debut and loved his character development in the Adventure series
I think Tails and Eggman are pretty iconic compared to Silver and maybe Knuckles.

Want people to suggest a larger pool of possible Nintendo characters for the poll?

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
I think Tails and Eggman are pretty iconic compared to Silver and maybe Knuckles.

Want people to suggest a larger pool of possible Nintendo characters for the poll?

Eggman in terms of iconicness Yes, in terms of popularity no, I looked up a bunch of polls for my Silver thread and he was really low in some of them while others he was mid tier and sometimes he was high tier in comparison to the the other 3 who were consistently in high-tier
Also there are a ridiculous number of Nintendo votes already

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Aside from NiGHTS, I don't agree with OP's choices

Now these are Sega characters I want to see:
Opa Opa (Fanatsy Zone)

Arle Nadja & Carbuncle (Puyo Puyo)

I would put a Phantasy Star character like Alis Landale or the Hornet Car from Daytona, but I don't think they have ever been on a Nintendo platform

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Eggman in terms of iconicness Yes, in terms of popularity no, I looked up a bunch of polls for my Silver thread and he was really low in some of them while others he was mid tier and sometimes he was high tier in comparison to the the other 3 who were consistently in high-tier
Also there are a ridiculous number of Nintendo votes already
I meant Sega not Nintendo. Whoops. And obviously there are more Nintendo votes for the Nintendo crossover haha.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I voted for NiGHTS. And I see no giant talking egg on that list.

Tails

Why?

That's why. We got Sonic, but we still need Tails.
I'd rather not have another Sonic character unless it's Dr. Robotnik. I dislike Sonic as a character in smash due to his playstyle. If we do get another Sonic character it'll most likely be Tails and he'll likely end up being a semi clone of Sonic but with no homing attack. Knuckles would be some hybrid of Sonic and Little Mac. Silver, just no. Amy would be hype since she has a giant hammer.

Last edited:

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
I voted for NiGHTS. And I see no giant talking egg on that list.

I'd rather not have another Sonic character unless it's Dr. Robotnik. I dislike Sonic as a character in smash due to his playstyle. If we do get another Sonic character it'll most likely be Tails and he'll likely end up being a semi clone of Sonic but with no homing attack. Knuckles would be some hybrid of Sonic and Little Mac. Silver, just no. Amy would be hype since she has a giant hammer.
Silver has more of a chance than you think and Tails I think will not be a semi-clone

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
If only Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio were on Nintendo consoles and revolutionary to the industry. Mostly because I want their music in and their settings would make for neat stages.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If only Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio were on Nintendo consoles and revolutionary to the industry. Mostly because I want their music in and their settings would make for neat stages.
When drawing with the Wii U's tablet was first shown my first thought was "Sega needs to make a JSR game for the Wii U. Make an HD edition of JGR and JSRF, do anything!"

I'm still waiting. ;_;

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
When drawing with the Wii U's tablet was first shown my first thought was "Sega needs to make a JSR game for the Wii U. Make an HD edition of JGR and JSRF, do anything!"

I'm still waiting. ;_;
Oh man that would be perfect. Which reminds me I still need to pick up Sonic & Sega All Stars racing 1 & 2.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This is a poll for SEGA characters to enter Smash
If you have a valid entry please write it down in the comments so I can review and enter the character into the poll
Current Runners:

I'm not going to lie, SEGA is the one 3rd party company I REALLY want to see additional characters from, and I'm sorry if I'm re-quoting what everyone else has said, but yeah, there is a quite a couple more SEGA reps you could add to your list, and they would probably be considered "legit" reps for Smash.

Yeah, I asked the same thing from a few people I know on the Internet, and they've been saying that the Puyo series is supposedly the one "prominent" SEGA series to release games to this day, and what's more, and believe you me, I'm NOT trying to sound like a jerk, but with Capcom getting a second rep, from a completely DIFFERENT series no less, something tells me Sakurai and the dev team (and hopefully SEGA, as well.) might not be all that opposed to adding another character from their company as a playable character for Smash Bros.

Basically this. Super Monkey Ball has pretty much been a Nintendo exclusive game (I believe it was a launch title for the gamecube) and is a decently popular/known franchise. As for Puyo, despite it being mostly Japan only, has been on every Nintendo console since it's first game (with the exception of the Virtual Boy obviously). Arle, the very first protagonist who's been in every game, seems to be the popular choice. There are two other protagonists as well being Amitie and Ringo, each representing a different "era" of Puyo (Amitie representing the "Fever" era, after Sega had actually acquired the license rebooted the franchise, and Ringo representing the more "Modern" era where Sega decided to reboot the series once again). I can't think of any other potential Sega characters at the moment, though I guess any of the characters in that have had their games ported to the 3DS with that "3D Classics" thing gives them a better chance.
All of this. I pretty much agree wholeheartedly. Also, from what either PushDustIn or Azure Warrior told me, Arle is supposedly the most requested second SEGA rep that is not a Sonic character, and even then, she ranked up surprisingly high up there. Of course, I don't know if that still applies to the current moment, but you never know.
Aside from NiGHTS, I don't agree with OP's choices

Now these are Sega characters I want to see:
Opa Opa (Fanatsy Zone)

Arle Nadja & Carbuncle (Puyo Puyo)

I would put a Phantasy Star character like Alis Landale or the Hornet Car from Daytona, but I don't think they have ever been on a Nintendo platform
I'd LOVE to see Arle Nadja and Carbuncle. Matter of fact, I voted for her in the Smash Ballot twice already, and suggested Amitie (from Puyo Puyo Fever) and Ringo Andou (from Puyo Puyo 7) could be her alt. skins. (In the vein of :4olimar: and :4alph: or :4bowserjr:and :4larry:, :4morton:, :4wendy:, :4iggy:, :4roy:, :4lemmy:, and :4ludwig:. I'm also planning to vote for Amigo, AiAi, NiGHTS, Beat, and (maybe) Billy Hatcher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom