• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

See The Difference: Battlefield, Dreamland 64, And Miiverse

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I agree with the people saying Miiverse and Battlefield should be treated as clones, so when one is banned, the other is too. The main and obvious difference is the underside of the stage.

As for Dreamland, it doesn't matter to me as much whether it's grouped with Battlefield or not. However, I do feel that it does have unique properties can definitely make it its own stage, mainly because of the platform height, Whispy Woods, and the top blast zone.

Dreamland will definitely be the hot topic of debate here.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I personally think Miiverse should be starter and Battlefield should be counterpick because of those really dumb ledges.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
We really need to just add the "Omega clause" already. And then make it apply to Miiverse as well.

Da Loc

Smash Cadet
for the debate on BF and MV, since MV is about a character length longer use that in 2v2 and keep battlefield on 1v1

~斬~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zan775
3DS FC
0147-1075-9666
One problem I'm seeing in this video when it came to him testing the blastzones is that though he was looking for minimum damage to kill off any given blast zone, the method he chose to do so didn't control for enough variables such as Rage and Damage Scaling (AKA attack staling) to truly see what percent was death percent. Though he had a good idea, it wasn't fully executed correctly.

~斬~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zan775
3DS FC
0147-1075-9666
One problem I'm seeing in this video when it came to him testing the blastzones is that though he was looking for minimum damage to kill off any given blast zone, the method he chose to do so didn't control for enough variables such as Rage and Damage Scaling (AKA attack staling) to truly see what percent was death percent. Though he had a good idea, it wasn't fully executed correctly.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
BF and DL64 are similar but Miiverse and BF are exactly the same one difference miiverse has post in the back

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
We all know how broken the ledges are on BF.
If were given the choice to play on either the only reason anyone is going to pick battlefield is to try and take janky stocks via the ledges. I don't see why Memeverse doesnt replace Battlefield entirely.

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I'm still sitting around needing to know WHY we can't play Miiverse with our online friends.

Also how great would it be if, when a tournament is going on, we all flood to Miiverse and fill in the sections of our favorite player's main, in hopes of seeing it during the tournament?

S2

Smash Lord
I don't see any reason why these 3 aren't all legal.

They have the same basic layout, but the platform length and placement does make certain matchups different. The issue with treating them like Omega stages leads to issues with characters that use the platforms for stage mobility. Dreamland is straight up different than Battlefield. Miiverse has BF's blast zones, but the stage and platform length aren't the same.

Why are we debating about that?

Battlefield and Dream Land 64 are legal in the games they're playable (and Melee has both), so it should stay this way.

The only one we should debate about is Miiverse
This is a huge oversimplification of the issue. In Melee, BF has "standard" blastlines while Dreamland has ****huge ones. That isn't the case in Smash 4, where they are basically identical except for the fact that Dreamland has Wispy Woods.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Actually the placements of the platforms are quite significant. Not to mention the bottom blast zone is VERY far down. Dreamland is a stage where I can frequently gimp people that don't have as good recovery as I do with inhale.
Dreamland is definitely a separate case. The platform spacing is different enough to force a game change, not to mention the wind changes how you'd have to play too. I stand by MV and BF offer very little variation in play style.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
Some of the TO's in the Toronto area in Ontario are going to be applying the Omega rule on BF / MV: so just like if you ban FD all other omegas are banned, if either Miiverse or Battlefield is banned, both of them are banned. The TOs up here don't think the differences are particularly big to warrant separating them as stages.
I agree with this. If I'm just playing with my friends, usually we just pick any stage (no counter-picking or anything) as long as it's mostly fair.
At a tournament, however, I think this should be the standard.
If a stream needs to be "clean", though, I'd ban MV.
EDIT: Sure, Melee has BF, Yoshi's Story, Dream Land, and Fountain of Dreams, but there really aren't that many legal stages in Melee (without any of those, according to this site's rule list, the stagelist would be FD and PS as a counter-pick), so it is my opinion that the two cases are different.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Count battlefeild and miiverse as the same stage like omegas and fd while leaving dreamland as it always has been. i have no idea why this is even a debate. any melee or project m player will be able to easilytell you how different bf and dreamland can play.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
So Miiverse and BF have the same blastzones, but Miiverse has better ledges. So far Miiverse seems better than BF, but i'm not sure how will people feel about the background messages in tournaments.
There is no messages when playing offline so problem solved i guess

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
So Miiverse and BF have the same blastzones, but Miiverse has better ledges. So far Miiverse seems better than BF, but i'm not sure how will people feel about the background messages in tournaments.
I assume the Wii U consoles there won't be connected to the internet, so they won't be there to be a distraction.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Since Miiverse dosen't have Battlefield's weird ledges, I think Miiverse should be starter and Battlefield counterpick.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
shut up, mv is automatically banned when bf is banned, simple

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I have some mixed feelings, but I feel all three new stages should be tournament legal. I do agree that Miiverse stage should mix with Battlefield since we're only limited to having certain amount of bans. I am one who said that Omega and FD should be separate though although again, I'm conflicted. There's pros and cons to all of it, but Miiverse does not bring much else to the table to be different.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
The ledges of battle field are wonky and work much differently than miiverse so I don't think they should be interchangeable
The ledges of Omega 75M and Omega Mario Galaxy are much different, would you argue that they should be different stages?

This is a huge oversimplification of the issue. In Melee, BF has "standard" blastlines while Dreamland has ****huge ones. That isn't the case in Smash 4, where they are basically identical except for the fact that Dreamland has Wispy Woods.
Uh what? You know Dreamland's blastzones are WAY smaller than Battlefield's right? Battlefield has the highest legal vertical blastzone in the game, even higher than Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
This video doesn't take rage into account because rage does not work in training mode. People will actually die earlier then these percentages indicate.

:018:

Last edited:

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
Miiverse banned.
For having too many **** drawings in the background.

tjdk2

Smash Cadet
I have a friend that has sight problems and hates going on bf because of the day/night transitions.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
All three should be starters. Plain and simple. Banning stages for non-gameplay reasons, such as being too similar to another stage, is why people don't take us seriously and call us trigger-happy about banning things for the sake of banning them.

As for inappropriate posts, it's not like little kids care about tournaments anyway. I personally look forward to the day an especially ridiculous post shows up during a huge match and goes viral within the community.

Last edited:

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Easy decision. All 3 legal, but MV and BF are considered the same stage if one gets banned, just like FD bans all omegas.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I have a friend that has sight problems and hates going on bf because of the day/night transitions.
I have heard similar issues with the background of FD as well, with some even proposing a ban on default FD and replacing it with Omega BF.

I do feel the BG transition issues some might have could have a factor on the final stage choices.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
why are there complaints about drawings? Lol, we're not gonna be plugging Wii Us to the internet in a tournament just so we can see "Gotta go Fast!"
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
or "Sanic Speed!" (ie, pidgezero1's Miiverse posts), calm your smash ballz.

No internet connection = no Miiverse posts can load.

Last edited:

NerdThomas3

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasLee1993
3DS FC
1865-1735-0762
Are we really debating this..? They're the same layout. Different blast zones, yes, but they're the same overall. The platforms are roughly the same length. Even the main stage themselves are roughly the same... Allow all three. Battlefield, DreamLand and Miiverse are identical and I hear that we can't have clone stages. Saying we can't have clone stages allowed in comp. play is like saying we can't have clone characters allowed in play either. It's a pointless debate. Just allow all three...

Last edited:

NerdThomas3

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasLee1993
3DS FC
1865-1735-0762
I think the MV / BF situation should be like the FD / Omega situation.
They're considered the same stage.
For example, if FD is the stage for the match, then you can also choose an Omega stage. It should be the same for MV and BF.
Dreamland is different enough to be its own stage.
I agree with Cedy on this, actually. Though I stand by my statement that all three stages (DreamLand, Battlefield and Miiverse) shoud be legal anyway. Having a debate over this is a tad bit silly.

Ray-Den

Smash Rookie
Where exactly can i find the internet setting to disable the messages in the MV stage? I cant find it

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I don't care which but allow battlefield OR miiverse. Allowing two almost identical stages makes counterpicking less meaningful. Playing custom DK and they ban BF? Ok I'll go miiverse.
Haven't watched the video yet but I definitely agree with this. Although I'd prefer Miiverse because of the online training stage ledges.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
IMO, Miiverse should follow the "omega rule" for counterpicks but should not be stopped by stage clause (you can't counterpick a stage you've won on already). This is because it'd be dumb if people would go to it for counterpicks when Battlefield is banned, but IMO the stages are fine to bypass stage clause. Dreamland should be completely separate though because it plays differently to Battlefield and Miiverse due to the different blast zones and platform heights.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Where exactly can i find the internet setting to disable the messages in the MV stage? I cant find it
You're just gonna have to disconnect from your house's Wi-Fi

EDIT: Never mind! Apparently it's in Internet settings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom