• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary with good neutral to learn

Freyll

Smash Rookie
Hey, everyone! I'm new to this forum... My first questions is this: as a Wii Fit Trainer main (and someone who plays quite weird characters in general), what would you say are the characters with a good neutral to learn? I think it would really benefit me. But, Fox and Sheik (who are two that come to mind) sound quite unappealing to me... Thanks in advance!

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Asking for a character with a good neutral is basically synonymous with asking for a top/high tier. You don't get anywhere in smash without neutral. As such, any character that you see with any regularity in a tournament's top 8 probably has a good neutral game. Some off the top of my head: fox, wolf, lucina, ike, rob, olimar, palutena, wario, pikachu, pichu, peach, inkling, snake, link, YL.

Not coincidentally, that's roughly the top 15 characters in the game, in no particular order. I might be overrating some characters here and underrating a few I left out (for example, I've seen mewtwo do pretty well, even though he's not quite top 15 imo), but ultimate has no shortage of characters with good neutral games. And just because a character isn't top 15 doesn't mean they're unviable, either.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Hey, everyone! I'm new to this forum... My first questions is this: as a Wii Fit Trainer main (and someone who plays quite weird characters in general), what would you say are the characters with a good neutral to learn? I think it would really benefit me. But, Fox and Sheik (who are two that come to mind) sound quite unappealing to me... Thanks in advance!
Are you looking just for a solid character, or for a character to teach you the fundamentals of the game?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Asking for a character with a good neutral is basically synonymous with asking for a top/high tier. You don't get anywhere in smash without neutral. As such, any character that you see with any regularity in a tournament's top 8 probably has a good neutral game. Some off the top of my head: fox, wolf, lucina, ike, rob, olimar, palutena, wario, pikachu, pichu, peach, inkling, snake, link, YL.

Not coincidentally, that's roughly the top 15 characters in the game, in no particular order. I might be overrating some characters here and underrating a few I left out (for example, I've seen mewtwo do pretty well, even though he's not quite top 15 imo), but ultimate has no shortage of characters with good neutral games. And just because a character isn't top 15 doesn't mean they're unviable, either.
The one exception to top tiers having amazing neutral is ICs pre-Ultimate, don't really need an amazing neutral when you take the stick with one grab after all. I'm not really going anywhere with this since Ultimate doesn't have any instant stock ending fighters I just wanted to mention Ice Climbers.

Freyll

Smash Rookie
Are you looking just for a solid character, or for a character to teach you the fundamentals of the game?
I would say I'm closer to the second one. As a player that spends most of the time using Wii Fit Trainer and Bayonetta (with some occasional Zero Suit Samus) I've been realising I lack knowledge of the 'simple' neutral. As :ultwiifittrainerm: I am always running around to charge sun salutation and use the header to force mistakes in the opponent. Whereas :ultbayonetta1: has been mostly about getting the combos and starting an edgeguarding situation... So, I need someone that can help/force me practice neutral. I was thinking of Palutena... But, I don't know. That's why I was asking for suggestion of which characters to choose.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I would say I'm closer to the second one. As a player that spends most of the time using Wii Fit Trainer and Bayonetta (with some occasional Zero Suit Samus) I've been realising I lack knowledge of the 'simple' neutral. As :ultwiifittrainerm: I am always running around to charge sun salutation and use the header to force mistakes in the opponent. Whereas :ultbayonetta1: has been mostly about getting the combos and starting an edgeguarding situation... So, I need someone that can help/force me practice neutral. I was thinking of Palutena... But, I don't know. That's why I was asking for suggestion of which characters to choose.
okay, then that makes it simpler.

just pick one of the marios or the pits. you can choose any of them.

then, watch this:

this should give you a better understanding of neutral.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
If you're looking for a somewhat easier neutral maybe try :ultjigglypuff: or :ultness:. They're really good if you're looking to practice chasing characters who don't want to get hit. If you're looking for more of a challenge where you want to practice baiting opponents and punish hard, then there's nobody better than :ultganondorf:. I'd also recommend any of the anime sword crew, especially :ultchrom:,:ultroy: or :ultike:. Chrom and Roy are great for mobility in both chasing opponents and dashing back and forth to bait out moves. Ike is slower, but he's constantly throwing out large, sweeping hitboxes which chain into each other, so he's good for establishing a wall of death while onstage.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
If you're looking for a somewhat easier neutral maybe try :ultjigglypuff: or :ultness:. They're really good if you're looking to practice chasing characters who don't want to get hit. If you're looking for more of a challenge where you want to practice baiting opponents and punish hard, then there's nobody better than :ultganondorf:. I'd also recommend any of the anime sword crew, especially :ultchrom:,:ultroy: or :ultike:. Chrom and Roy are great for mobility in both chasing opponents and dashing back and forth to bait out moves. Ike is slower, but he's constantly throwing out large, sweeping hitboxes which chain into each other, so he's good for establishing a wall of death while onstage.
I don’t think Jiggs has an easy neutral. I’d say although Jiggs has good air movement she’s no an easy character to play. It’s easy not to get hit but it’s hard to get going. Ness only has an easy neutral against non-sword characters. He has a really good neutral but it can be tough getting in on sword characters. He does promote good fundamentals though and he’s definitely good to learn chasing and aggressive play especially aerial play

Could you not just try playing :ultwiifittrainerm: without using your projectiles? Like purposely handicapping yourself so you are forced to win by mastering his normal moves (ground + aerials.) This at least keeps you investing in your favourite character.

As for another character I think :ultsonic: has one of the best neutrals in the game. Without spamming spin balls and really focusing on footsies and spacing, using your superior speed to bait and punish, and using Homing Attack just as a punish tool when the opponent resorts to 'unfair' play.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Go with Palutena. Really strong neutral game that works against almost everyone.

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
Sword characters(marth/Lucina) lack a true combo game so their neutral rely on reads, proper spacing and movement. They can be really good in the neutral but if you aren't comfortable with them you could learn some bad habits.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Sword characters(marth/Lucina) lack a true combo game so their neutral rely on reads, proper spacing and movement. They can be really good in the neutral but if you aren't comfortable with them you could learn some bad habits.
I’d definitely go with a sword characters for fundamentals

Top Bottom