• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary Suggestions?

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
I've kind of been all across the roster in terms of mains, but I've always found the doc to be my tried and true. Who do you think would best compliment Doc? Personally, as doc I have a huge problem with Marth / Lucina, so maybe something to go up against them with?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
We have a Q and A thread here, so please use that next time.

But yeah, sword characters are annoying. My recommendations would be :4cloud:(fast + range + safety), :4diddy:(fast + good frame data + punish game with bananas), and maybe :4sheik: or :4zss: (cos reasons). I have seen 2MC go :4dk: sometimes so maybe try him?

SkullKidDale

Smash Cadet
NNID
SkullKidDale
Yeah I'd say Doc struggles most against characters with good range. Cloud would be my first thought to choose cause he can beat out other fighters with good range. I personally secondary Captain Falcon to go against faster characters that give Doc a hard time as well.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
If you have the skills to do so, the most optimal character to secondary along with Doc would be Megaman.
Megaman's great matchups against the likes of Sonic, Rosalina & most swordies are extremely valuable for Doc. On the other hand, Doc's great matchups against the likes of Mario & Fox can be quite handy for any Megaman player. This is almost a perfect combo, leaving you only with a shaky, but doable Sheik matchup for both of your characters.

If you don't want to spend too much time on it tho, since Megaman is hard, you can always try some other zoners. They tend to have decent to good matchups against zoners, which is valuable for us, as well as a fairly decent Sonic matchup for the better zoners, so yeah, any good zoner can do the work as well.

If you're not too fond of zoner & can deal with swordies decently well but struggle especially against Rosa&Sonic more, i'd advice Wario, who has a decent matchup against these two, and will definitly help you develop a more patient game, something that may be handy for some matchups that Doc may have to play, including Swordies.

SkullKidDale

Smash Cadet
NNID
SkullKidDale
If you have the skills to do so, the most optimal character to secondary along with Doc would be Megaman.
Megaman's great matchups against the likes of Sonic, Rosalina & most swordies are extremely valuable for Doc. On the other hand, Doc's great matchups against the likes of Mario & Fox can be quite handy for any Megaman player. This is almost a perfect combo, leaving you only with a shaky, but doable Sheik matchup for both of your characters.

If you don't want to spend too much time on it tho, since Megaman is hard, you can always try some other zoners. They tend to have decent to good matchups against zoners, which is valuable for us, as well as a fairly decent Sonic matchup for the better zoners, so yeah, any good zoner can do the work as well.

If you're not too fond of zoner & can deal with swordies decently well but struggle especially against Rosa&Sonic more, i'd advice Wario, who has a decent matchup against these two, and will definitly help you develop a more patient game, something that may be handy for some matchups that Doc may have to play, including Swordies.
I might be wrong but villager could work too for the same reasons as Mega Man. Then again I don't personally know Villagers match ups against Rosa and Sonic, just me associating Villager and Mega Man to have similar strengths.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace

I can see :4megaman: being a good pick, but I think you will need to invest a lot of time into him. He isn't easy to play, but he has some nice tools.

I would avoid :4wario2: as a secondary. His range is pretty bad. If you like said character, go for it. I like :4mewtwo: and :4mario: but I don't think they cover :4drmario:'s bad matchups well.

Honestly, :4cloud: and :4diddy: are the best choices outside of :4megaman: and I have briefly stated why in my previous post.

Top Bottom