• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary for Luigi main?

Berserkyturkey

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm a Luigi main and I wondered what a good character would be for a secondary for a Luigi main? I know Luigi can have a tough time against some of the top tiers. If at all possible I would like to stay away from top tiers because I find most of them pretty boring to play

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
yoshi's a pretty easy character to play, especially when coming from a main with very similar weight! give him a shot if you haven't

MangoPeachey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1868-5016-7402
maybe pick someone who can fight zoners because of luigis absolutely horrid matchups against the zoners like samus. maybe try out pichu or captain falcon. they are similar to luigi in the way that when they get in, they do tons of damage. pichu and capt are much faster than luigi with capt having a toned down combo game, but either way this means that zone breaking (hard for luigi) is much easier

Last edited:

TheAnimatiac

Smash Rookie
Well I'd recommend megaman because he can do alot of things but he does lack a good jab combo good kill potential and if you want to know more watch Scottfalcos video on megaman with a SMASH

domcarminefilix

Smash Rookie
It is hard to say who should be your secondary since it all depends on the person. I suggest you try playing random for a bit and see who feel right, maybe you will find someone like I did with Pichu

makemesmellbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
makemesmellbad
Switch FC
SW-1177-4478-7793
If you're looking for a character that covers Luigi's weaknesses, check characters like Sonic, Wolf, Link, Sheik, Roy, Cloud, or Diddy. These characters excel at the neutral game and aren't at as clear a disadvantage as Luigi when you lose advantage. Many of these characters also have effective zone-breaking potential.

If you're looking for someone to pick up that plays similarly to Luigi, try Mario, Lucario, Wario, Ken/Ryu, or Incineroar. These characters have great combo games or a lot of comeback potential but are just as polarizing to play as Luigi--except for Mario and Wario. Mario is fairly balanced, but trades less powerful combos for more versatility. He is still a combo-focused brawler like his green brother. Wario, on the other hand, has a fairly good neutral, but his comeback factor is on a timer (Waft).

If you're looking for the opposite of Luigi (lolMario), pick a zoner. Simon, Marth/Lucina, Young Link, Olimar, R.O.B., and Rosalina seem to be some of the best or most popular zoning characters. Each zoner can feel a little spammy in their own way, but you can become a powerful trapper by carefully choosing what you're going to zone with and when.

Don't shy away from top tiers, because their metagames have advanced further than other characters. This makes picking one up relatively easy, even if the character is complex, because there are tons of sources to help you learn them.

Hope your secondary search goes/has gone well!

Top Bottom