• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary for King Dedede

Dandoro

Smash Rookie
I've been maining King Dedede for a pretty long time now, and I love him. I do want a secondary character though / co-main but I don't want to main someone who has the same matchups / struggles in the same places as dedede. I think this thread could be useful for any D3 mains out there.

I think that he has trouble getting K.O.s against characters who have an amazing recovery / cannot be gimped, and live long (such as zero suit samus imo). Also projectiles are quite a hassle since he is so huge.

Tl;DR Which character(s) would be best to cover dedede's weaknesses? I'm thinking potentially someone small with a projectile. Ness, kirby, pikachu.. What do you guys think?

Dandoro

Smash Rookie
Dedede has no weaknesses
I'm just looking someone else to main to have another character but I want to make sure it's a good choice before spending a lot of time on it. Help me out dood

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Well, let's see here. I'll throw out some problem MUs and we'll see if there's a hot fix for him

MK
Toon Link
Ivy
squirtle
Jiggs

Falco is probably your best bet and is the only character I can think of that doesn't lose to 1 of these characters

Dandoro

Smash Rookie
Falco is probably your best bet and is the only character I can think of that doesn't lose to 1 of these characters
I'm not really a fan of falco he's lame (although fun) and everyone plasys him and knows how to fight him

Dandoro

Smash Rookie
Olimar.. Ness.. Kirby?

EDIT: I was playing toon link but his recovery is too bad. I learned how to glide toss even.

EDIT AGAIN: YOSHI?

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's "nerfed" from Brawl overall. But the up-B height in the video is exactly what you get in the current release of Project M (to the best of my knowledge).

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Yoshi can handle some of those characters but definitely not toon lonk

Jobonoobdude

Smash Rookie
I secondary Oli, and sadly, he struggles with Ivy and Jiggs a lot. Ivy can get mad crazy healing combo thingys off of pikmin, just like he can with waddle dees, and Jiggs is too floaty to combo properly. That being said, 2.56484% of people know the MU, so a good Olimar can really surprise people, and sometimes that's all you need to win. I don't necessarily recommend him over any of the other suggestions, and he won't cover all your options. Just thought I'd share my experience though.

Also, Yoshi's mad crazy. Mad mad crazy.

GreeZ

Smash Rookie
It depends how you play DDD. Personally, I have no luck with the star fox characters, and I can really only play characters well that have large disjointed hitboxes. DDD and Fox are not that similar imo, however if you ARE good with them both, I'd expect they'd compliment eachother quite nicely.

GreeZ

Smash Rookie
My personal suggestion of Secondary for DDD in Smash 4 would be Link. Link is a bit heavier, can benefit from well-timed projectiles, has a large disjointed hitbox, has a good grab range, a lot of knockback, and is supposedly high tier.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I like the feel of Ivysaur, and her similar grab-heavy playstyle with strong edgeguarding tools makes the switch more natural. She can camp or use projectiles in matchups where Dedede would love to be able to, and I feel she has better options under pressure. It also helps that she is relatively simple, making her an ideal pocket character. However, I don't feel comfortable playing either of these characters against, say, Link or Mario. So, not a perfect secondary, but just an idea.

KingJames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KingJames95
3DS FC
4270-1781-8413
Does anyone us agree dedede by him self is not a good enough character to win a national tournament. If you look at the best dedede in the world @ripple he always ends up getting top 8 because not being able to beat characters like diddy, sonic etc.

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
Does anyone us agree dedede by him self is not a good enough character to win a national tournament. If you look at the best dedede in the world @ripple he always ends up getting top 8 because not being able to beat characters like diddy, sonic etc.
Dedede doesn't really have too many "unwinnable" matchups. It's nice to have a secondary, but you don't absolutely need one. And for the most part, Ripple was outplayed by the people who beat him. Not to say he didn't play well, because he played fantastically, but he didn't really lose any games based off of matchups.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
James...? In the Dedede thread of ALL places? HOW DARE YOU ;_;

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Actually, 3.6 Olimar looks good enough that I'm strongly considering him as a secondary. I have him as a backup right now, but I don't know about his effectiveness. Still, he may make a decent secondary now. Both characters have disjoints and strong grab game, but Olimar has the benefit of being smaller and having a decent projectile rate.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'm thinking Falco and Pikachu cover his bad matchups pretty well.
In my opinion, Falco destroys in the Ivy and Toon Link MUs.
Pikachu's just a character with a pretty solid matchup spread, and up-smash will devastate Jiggs and Squirtle.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
I dunno about the MK matchup though. I've played a couple sets with Manalord, and I never really felt like I was losing to the character.

rye_un

Smash Cadet
I know Fly goes to Sheik as a secondary but I don't know for what MUs. It might just be for comfort against a unfamiliar MU though.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
fly hasn't played this game in 15 months

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I main Olimar as well like @Jobonoobdude and he plays in a similar way to Dedede (good grabs, air game and such) so he's relatively easy to pick up. Though Olimar doesn't really cover the bad MU's that Dedede has, he is a good character to pull out if you feel that someone is exploiting your weaknesses.

Chef BoyarDedede

Smash Rookie
Would Wolf or Wario make good secondaries? I've used them both in the past and they seem to me like they cover some of Dedede's weaknesses, and more importantly they're super fun to play. If so which one would be a better pick?

kinje

Smash Apprentice
Would Wolf or Wario make good secondaries? I've used them both in the past and they seem to me like they cover some of Dedede's weaknesses, and more importantly they're super fun to play. If so which one would be a better pick?
Wolf's gonna be the better of the two for most of the MUs Dedede has a hard time with on his own.
Wario might be better for you in the jigglypuff matchup, if you have trouble playing it with wolf, cause wario can weave and bob with her in the air, space right along with her in terms of bair and other pokes (plus trades are probably strongly in his advantage), and can kill about as early as fox with a good string ending with up-air.

Top Bottom