• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary Character

Brokemon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3969-6508-7781
Hey Guys,

So recently I've been noticing that I'm having a hard time dealing with players who are good at spacing, obviously Pikachu excels when you can get in easily.
I was wondering what characters you guys would think would be a solid secondary to cover Pikachu's weaknesses.
I'm not really a fan of any of the sword characters because they all get boring really fast.
Lemme know guys!

Novaneith

Smash Rookie
NNID
V1talic
I use :4metaknight: since it's really strong against:4ness::4lucas: (if I can't win with pika).
Also, it's decent against :4luigi::4mario: if you take care of their Nair when you start an Uair string.

And moreover, MK's neutral and gameplay is quit scripted, so when you've understood how his punish game and neutral work, you don't have to play him on a regular basis to be consistent with him (see Larry Lurr, vs Tyrant).

MK is very helpfull if you struggle against :rosalina: as well, and even :4sheik: (as Leo did against Mr.R: MK will lose neutral in a lot of MUs, all you need is a good punish game).

Finally, when you're down in a set, using MK and scoring a winning combo at 20% can help you getting the mental edge for the rest of the set, destabilising your opponent.

Last edited:

Brokemon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3969-6508-7781
Thanks! Meta knight is a character I really want to pick up, there's just some tech that I really need to practice with him since he has some extremely important features that aren't very easy to pull off.
My sparring partner is actually a Mario main so my mario/luigi/dr mario matchup is really good actually, my main struggle would be against Rosa for sure so I'll definitely give MK a go

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I don't know if you just dislike swordies in general, but the DLC swordies Cloud and Corrin fare well, for me, against the PSI kids and the Plumber Bros. Their unique attributes (Limit Break and AC Dair shenanigans for Cloud and Dragon Shot and Fang tricks for Corrin) keep them from going stale, for me. As an added bonus, they forced me to learn how to play more patiently, since they can't just run in however they please, like Pika does.

As kind of an unconventional suggestion, I also get a lot of mileage out of Bayonetta. Like Pika, she's really a threat from any distance, but the really interesting part is that you can exploit the behavior of the Plumbers and the PSI kids. Since they're so dependent on grab combos, they tend to stay in shield pretty often, which is endlessly frustrating for Pika. Bayo, however, can bounce off their shields with her downwards Afterburner Kick and easily confirm into either her lengthy combos or run away with her pile of aerial options. In addition, since they tend to drift around mid-range, spacing with Bayo's Bullet Arts(BA) from Nair(BA) and Uair(BA) tacks on free damage that can often frustrate them into taking the initiative and scoring Bayo an opening. A lot of Bayo's strategy feels similar to the way I like to play Pika, so she wasn't tough to pick up for me.

... but mostly, I just like getting as much reward off of a punishment as the Bros. and the PSI kids do.

Last edited:

Novaneith

Smash Rookie
NNID
V1talic
Brokemon Brokemon Check ito's channel (ItoI6) and Jbandrew's one (Jbandrew Smash), you'll find a lot about MK. And combine it with the MK video from my smash corner

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
I feel like Rosalina is the best secondary, especially after the latest patch. She has a good matchup vs mario and ness - pikas two worst match ups.

HudnofskiBlue

Smash Cadet
NNID
HudnofskiBlue18
Personally, I've begun to pick up Villager as my secondary. He is really good at zoning and spacing, and a lot of his moves clank with swordies. I also just like him because of water can shenanigans with the psi kids.

Zoom!

Smash Cadet
:4rob: became my secondary without me even choosing him. He's just an automatic counter against characters that can keep Pikachu out. It's good fighting defence with an even better defence, and the massive contrast from rush down to walling will mean you won't get bored easily. Plus let's face it, giro set ups are so much fun.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I play Roy as a dual main with Pikachu, with Robin/Peach as secondaries, and it works pretty well. Roy lets me see the Mario matchup from a different angle, and Robin/Peach are both pretty tricky to deal with when you don't know the matchup.

Brokemon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3969-6508-7781
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've been messing around with a lot of other characters lately and I'm leaning towards a few characters such as Toon Link, Mewtwo, and Cloud.
Im not a huge fan of using Cloud as I feel he's one of those characters that everybody can use.
Also a lot of you recommended Rosalina but I just can't bring myself to ever use her, I tried and she just didn't feel right.

I'm kinda stuck between Toon Link and Mewtwo, which one do you think covers pikas bad matchups better?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
If the bad matchups are Ness, Lucas, Mario, and Luigi then Mewtwo is a solid answer.

I main Mewtwo and he beats them pretty well once you get the matchups down.

He also plain beats Sheik if you know how to shield well. (Its hilarious.)

I actually came to this thread to see if Pikachu would be a good secondary for Mewtwo and it seems so.

Last edited:

Brokemon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3969-6508-7781
If the bad matchups are Ness, Lucas, Mario, and Luigi then Mewtwo is a solid answer.

I main Mewtwo and he beats them pretty well once you get the matchups down.

He also plain beats Sheik if you know how to shield well. (Its hilarious.)

I actually came to this thread to see if Pikachu would be a good secondary for Mewtwo and it seems so.
Yeah definitely, whenever my Mewtwo gets bodied it's usually by characters who are super fast, so I always switch to pika against them

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Don't follow my advice because i've been told I picked for the wrong reason, but my Secondary is :4kirby:. From a technical perspective Kirby is easier to use and getting kills is much easier. I suffer from bracket nerves so playing a less technical character when i'm not feeling confident is a great way of boosting my confidence and taking the pressure off.

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
I would say Mewtwo.
He has a lot to offer against chars that outplay Pika in the neutral, in my opinion. Ness can be hella good too, but he has a few absolutely obnoxious MUs

Personnally, my secondaries are Ness and M2

Last edited:
Top Bottom