• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries with Bayonetta?

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
Contrary to what a lot of people think, I'm a firm believer that Bayonetta has some bad match ups. I think Pikachu is a particularly hard match up that's definitely in Pika's favor, but I also think Diddy, Ness, and Rosalina can be pretty tricky. Does anyone have any recommendations about which character Bayonetta players should pick up to cover her weaknesses?

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm just getting into Bayo, so I'm still a little unfamiliar with the match ups. But regarding witch characters (pun fully intended!) Cover her weaknesses, I'd go with "Keep Aways" (like zeldas neutral B). I'd think Sheik or Mario's neutral air, if thrown out enough, would disrupt Diddys and Ness's air game. Meta Knight wouldn't be too bad either.

As for Rosalina, you're on your own. I hate her with a passion. You can't contest her air game, but if you wanted a chance to, you could try Cloud or main Rosa yourself and try to beat the ditto

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
this thread is about to get a whole lot more active
Luckily I abandoned ship a while ago. Just didn't really enjoy playing her after a while. But I guess this patch is a good example of why people should always play multiple characters.

Patriarachnid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Patriarachnid
3DS FC
1134-8770-6048
Any character that's generally good against campy/projectile characters is a good secondary for Bayonetta.

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
I dont use Bayo as much as I used to, but shes my secondary and I find that the mu's that are bad for olimar tend to be more doable with her and vice versa

Zalezus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zal3zus
I'm originally a Rosalina main from the 3DS days. The two together with a bit of Cloud in the mix has given me a good matchup spread for this game.

The requirement of patience and character knowledge for Bayo and Rosa are similar in a way that you need to be intimately familiar with them to be anything more than decent. I think it's a good comp.

Also tall women rule so...if only I had any interest in ZSS it would be perfect hahaha

James Lake

Smash Rookie
NNID
ClokkeHL
Well, I've picked up Bayo since day 1 and began maining her since April for tournaments. I've won locals with her, and top 5d regionals. Albeit, some matchups are painful. For instance, Pikachu (as you point out) is a pain. For specific matchups, I use my previous main, Zero Suit Samus.

These matchups are:
Sheik, Pikachu, Cloud, Ness, Sonic, and Ganondorf.
Some of these are because of the sheer speed of ZSS (Sonic, Sheik and Ness). Some of these are because its impossible for Bayo (Pikachu and Cloud I believe). And Ganon because I can keep him ways away with ZSS Spacing. I also use ZSS for other matchups, but thats just when I'm feeling it, or the other person has read my Bayo matchup.

For Example, Yesterday in a local here, in grand finals ( I was in winners' side), I was playing a Captain Falcon / Corrin Main. Game 1, Bayo vs CF, I won. I changed to ZSS to prevent him from learning any further from my Bayo, and to get the counterpick advantage. He won Game 2, but I won Game 3 and 4 with Bayo. Since both characters have different things you have to be worried about, the mixup is just perfect.

Hope this gave you some insight :)

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Anyone who can deal with Diddy and Toon Link seems ideal. Maybe someone like Villager or Lucas? Fox? Idk. Quite a few bad MUs now.

blackghost

Smash Champion
really.you coild just always pick up cloud theres gonna be a point where everyone does anyway. i much as i doslike him hes low investment and high reward makes him an ideal secondary. id also say mario.

Top Bottom