• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries who compliment Mewtwo?

Royal-X

Smash Ace
With 3.5, I feel that certain matchups (mainly C. Falcon and swordies in general) are more difficult and it would be more optimal for me to use another character instead. So I was wondering who do you guys suggest and use for Mewtwo's more difficult matchups?

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
Sheik does pretty well vs them, but the downside is that marth/falcon melee mains will already know that matchup pretty well. Sheik also compliments mewtwo pretty well to cover the numerous small stages, where having good recovery doesn't change much

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
Yeah, I main Marth in Melee and pull him out in P:M against the Links and FEmblems. Dual maining Mewtwo/Marth covers every matchup except Falcon, Charizard and DK, which is honestly a pretty decent spread.

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon has worked pretty well in counter Mewtwo's bad MU's/stages. If someone takes me to a stage with close blast zones, I get kills insanely early and that bad recovery won't matter much.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Why do so many Marth mains also main Mewtwo for some reason?
Fairly similar gameplans, albeit with notable differences in execution. Both emphasize positioning and stage control, they have strong juggle and edgeguarding capabilities, etc.

I agree with Emukiller, Mewtwo/Sheik is a very solid combination.

Last edited:

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
Curious where you get your matchup data/spread numbers from
Honestly, it's Melee matchups + other people's opinions + my own experience. In other words, only listen to what I have to say until we get some actual 3.5 matchup info.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Mewtwo has a solid matchup on Bowser, and he should have the advantage against D3 as well. Not sure about Mario or MK.

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
who would you use against,
Dedede
Metaknight
Mario
Bowser
I'm gonna assume you were addressing me and meant Mewtwo or Marth.

Dedede: Mewtwo, for sure. D3 is super hard for Marth to kill, with his fast fall speed, heavy weight and crazy long recovery. Also, his gimp game on Marth is strong. Mewtwo has it easier.

Meta Knight (disclaimer: I haven't fought a good MK since 3.02, but back then, Mewtwo gave him a hard time) I'd say Mewtwo. Hopefully Emu can back me up or correct me on this one.

Mario: I prefer Marth here. You're fast enough to outmaneuver him, can swat away his fireballs with jab/fair, and your disjointed sword lets you zone him with dtilt and double sh fair. Sweetspot the ledge though or you're gonna get caped.

Bowser: Marth poops on Bowser in my experience. Get him off the ledge and dtilt and laugh. If you're wary of Bowser's armor and surprisingly long range, your grab game can foil his crouch shenanigans and lead to big punishes.

Last edited:

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
Mewtwo wins all 4 of those MU's quite solidly, like 6:4 imo (D3 and Bowser might be even more in our favor, but in Bowser's case especially you can't afford to make many mistakes)

I also think ZSS is a pretty nice secondary to compliment Mewtwo, at least vs the Links who I tend to struggle with the most. She might also be better vs Falcon but I'm not exactly sure if she wins.

Top Bottom