• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries to Use Instead of Jiggs?

Captain Keeta

Smash Rookie
I feel like in Project M it's more important to use multiple characters. Some matchups are just too hard for ol' Jiggs. If I use Jigglypuff as my main, what are some good secondaries to consider picking up? I'd prefer if these secondaries could cover as many of Jigg's bad matchups as possible.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
A friend of mine described Pit as "Jiggs but with recovery moves and projectiles." So yeah, Pit. Also Mario, cus he's he's easy to play and dunking on people with f-air feels a little like Rest-ing someone.

Captain Keeta

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Pit a lot now. I agree that he's a good character to play alongside Jigglypuff. The transition to Pit was easier because I played Puff. Thanks guys. I've messed with Mario and he's pretty good too.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Literally almost any other character in the game.

I mean.... I agree with Link, Pit, and Mario. Yah that's what I meant to say. Also, possibly Samus.

Last edited:

SoulPech

Smash Master
To be honest,

I don't think there's a need for a secondary. Just grind her bad matchups until you get comfortable. If you can't, you can use Wario which is similar to her, or at least a heavier version of her (no pun intended).

I agree w/ the others saying Mario/Link/Pit to cover her weaknesses. You can also use Lucas.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Speaking of bad matchups, what are they? I'm primarily a melee player, so I'm not very familiar with them.

Captain Keeta

Smash Rookie
Speaking of bad matchups, what are they? I'm primarily a melee player, so I'm not very familiar with them.
She has plenty of winnable matchups. I've found Mario, ZSS, Tink, Mewtwo, Pit, Sonic, Zard, Bowser, and Link as some of the harder matchups that I needed a secondary for. I feel like I can beat all the other characters

EDIT: oh and Zelda is really hard too

Last edited:

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
She has plenty of winnable matchups. I've found Mario, ZSS, Tink, Mewtwo, Pit, Sonic, Zard, Bowser, and Link as some of the harder matchups that a needed a secondary for. I feel like I can beat all the other characters

EDIT: oh and Zelda is really hard too
Sure, some matchups are winnable, but they aren't in her favor. The only newcomers that she really does well against is... Yoshi? IC's? Maybe ROB or Olimar? She can still beat Falcon and Marth I guess.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Like, you can use jiggs if it's like 55:45 or 60:40 not in her favor and do well. I feel the majority of her matchups are either even or close to even (between 45 and 40)

I can see why you'd use chracters like mario, links, ivysaur, etc. since those matchups are probably 65:35 or worse in her favor. You can still win, but it'll be easier to just use a different character.

Mizter Ultimaman

Smash Cadet
I just want to set a record straight. I think Rest, an OHKO, is the Best reason to play Jiggs. I do NOT think it's the Only reason to play Jiggs.

A character that Jiggs cannot instantly kill is a bad matchup. What type of barrier would cause the opposing character to be safe and still attack Jigglypuff? The only type of hitbox that could do that is a disjointed hitbox. What characters have disjointed hitboxes? Marth and Link are good examples of characters known for their hitboxes being disjointed.

How would one go about countering these characters? If Marth or Link can get hit either in the start-up lag or ending lag of their attacks (which is short, but possible), then their attacks will be negated. What characters counter Marth and Link? A good example of a fast character is Fox, or MetaKnight, who have little-no startup or ending lag (Fox's SHFFL'd N-air is a great example; it comes out almost immediately and Fox has great horizontal movement on his short-hops). So if it's match 2 and someone tries to counter my Jiggs with a Marth, I counter their Marth with Fox.

Just don't get grabbed by Marth while playing Fox.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I feel like Kirby is the character PM Puff ought to be. Should be pretty easy to transition to.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Rest isn't an OHKO. It only kills when there's about 10-15% before the rest hits or if they DI poorly. I know since the new patch I don't use any secondaries unless it's against certain players, not characters. I used to use Marth in stages like Battlefield or Yoshi's story, but not really a need IMO. The only reason you would want to use a secondary is if you have issues with characters that will kill you early. I still think Mario is a good secondary for jiggs because you still have a good bair, good combo game, and it's tricky to combo him. You will lose recovery options, but you get to live longer.

Mizter Ultimaman

Smash Cadet
Rest isn't an OHKO. It only kills when there's about 10-15% before the rest hits...
It may not technically be an OHKO, but I consider it one. Why? Anything that combo's into Rest racks up enough damage [when there's about 10-15%]. For example, Grab -> Pummel -> UpThrow -> UpAir racks up 25 damage, and 3% more for each additional pummel (which could only happen if there were more damage than 0% to start with). And getting 1 or 2 hits isn't impossible.

Also, I don't understand why similarities are a factor in choosing an alternate character. If you want to play a different character, why are you searching for as many similarities as possible? I thought choosing an alternate to counter the main's counters was the reason for alts. Wouldn't choosing a fundamentally similar character defeat that purpose?

SoulPech

Smash Master
Because there are still other characters are still do her job but better. Also:

"I used to use Marth in stages like Battlefield or Yoshi's story, but not really a need IMO. The only reason you would want to use a secondary is if you have issues with characters that will kill you early. I still think Mario is a good secondary for jiggs because you still have a good bair, good combo game, and it's tricky to combo him. You will lose recovery options, but you get to live longer."

Marth and Mario are different characters types to Jiggs. Mario is "similar" to jiggs in regards to the reasons I mentioned previously, but he has a stronger ground game than Jiggs (but worse recover). I consider that a polar opposite. Same as Marth.

Also please note that I already said in this patch I don't use secondaries as much because of the nerfs to recoveries. 3.0 though she needed it badly (which was when this thread was made).

Last edited:
Top Bottom