• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for GnW?

ScoutF

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3351-4540-9814
I'm thinking about investing time in a more effective secondary for GnW.

scuba_steve757

Smash Rookie
I co-main Luigi with game and watch (Luigi main in melee). I know they still share some bad matchups like marth, etc but I find it a litte easier to handle the neutral games of fast fallers with Luigi than game and watch

ScoutF

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3351-4540-9814
I co-main Luigi with game and watch (Luigi main in melee). I know they still share some bad matchups like marth, etc but I find it a litte easier to handle the neutral games of fast fallers with Luigi than game and watch
I'm actually trying to form a secondary to make bad GnW matchups less awful, such as Marth.

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
Ganon is just easy mode falcon IMO lol. (not really since their neutrals are way different). But ganon does counter marth pretty well in PM.

Basically, you want to make him swing first and then catch him with a bair/ fair. The disjoint on those moves will hit Marth's extended hurtbox when he Fsmashes more often than not. Your mixups can be working in upAirs, since those have slightly more range and keep Marth guessing about your effective range. Wavelands around stage, especially using top platform, are pretty hard for Marth to catch without committing super hard with a fulljump.

Once he is in the air, don't let him back down with upairs and get him offstage. If you can make him burn his DJ to avoid an Upair, even better. To edgeguard, grab ledge and refresh your invincibility to make him go onstage. Regular getup + grab him, dthrow and his DI determines whether you fair/ bair him

Easy baits/ strats:
Retreating fairs/bairs
Fulljump bair/upair --> doublejump bair/ upair
Fulljump dair --> dj areal/ waveland (gotta do the dair immediately)
Whiffed upsmash --> jab (very little endlag after upsmash lol)
Waveland forward/ back --> ftilt/jab
Waveland back --> sideB (if he is sheilding a lot)
When marth is recovering: Double jump to fake covering high, waveland off a platform and dair. Most marths will sink down as they see you go up, then will be forced to upB right into the dair (or wizards foot if you're adventurous)

Last edited:
Top Bottom