• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Second/Third Characters for Luigi?

The Dismisser

Smash Rookie
Hello! I am a Luigi main and am having a difficult time planning out which characters I should also focus on to cover matchups. I've gotten pretty good as Mario and Fox and am considering Lucario, but I don't quite know which ones are and aren't necessary. I'm also finding all of these characters have trouble against Dark Pit, so some help on a matchup like that one would be appreciated. Has anyone been in my situation and have advice? Thanks so much!!!

MrDrProfessor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-3303-8549
It may just be me but I have a tendency to lean towards character with a powerful up b but with good timing such as Charizard or Ryu and they also have pretty good aerials that can be compared to Luigi. Charizard also has a kill throw and followups like Luigi and Ryu has a few followups that end up looking like more like reads. Whenever I feel as if to win I am going to have to tank a few hits with super armor I switch to those characters. I base those decisions based on the opponents play style that I've observed. In the end you should really just find out yourself what suits you the best not based on the opponents character completely but rather on the way he/she plays said character because your opponent may play differently than what most people play or at least from whoever you play with the most.
Best of luck and feel free to argue about what I think because I'm not too sure myself.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
My secondaries kind of occurred naturally (as in I just played them and liked them, as opposed to picking them specifically for Luigi matchups) but they help me cover some of Luigi's problems.

So I have:
  • A character with more speed and better pressure options :4pikachu:
  • A character with better recovery :4kirby:
  • A character with easier kill options :4feroy:
If you can't decide on explicit secondaries to cover your matchups, just play as some other characters who you feel comfortable as. There's no point in forcing yourself to use a character you aren't really that fond of.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I pick Mario and Falcon. Mario fares better vs the top tiers (SHEIK, Rosalina, ZSS) and Falcon is better against some low tiers (Little Mac, Samus, Zelda). Falcon can also be a saving grace whenever you are camped out.

Plus, all of them uses fire.

Ghazis

Smash Rookie
I chose Dr Mario as my secondary because him and luigi have a very similar playstyle, but Dr Mario kills earlier has a cape for projectile spammers, and an upb/nair that combo breaks
Plus winning with Doc feels so satisfying lol

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
If you're still looking for help, then Samus and Pikachu are both speculated to have an even MU with Rosa: one of Luigi's worst MU's (Pika also apparently has been said to have the slight advantage). They both take a lot of dedication, but can certainly help you where Doc and Mario can't (the Mario bros tend to struggle against Rosa a fair bit). I could also see pika doing well against Mega Man and Pac Man. Other than that, Bowser also is a fun choice for Mega man (at least, compared to the Luigi MU).

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Honestly, Fox and Mario as your already secondaries should cover most matchups that Luigi has trouble with. I like using Mewtwo, WFT, Game and Watch, ROB and a sprinkle of Greninja. Odd secondaries but they cover the following for me...

Sheik: Game and Watch/WFT
Toon Link: Mewtwo/WFT/ROB
Lucas: Greninja
Megaman: WFT/Mewtwo/ROB
Falco: Game and Watch
Mac: Mewtwo
Rob: Mewtwo
Villager: Mewtwo
Pac Man: Mewtwo/WFT/ROB
Samus' Charge shot[Not Samus]: Mewtwo/WFT/Game and Watch/ROB
Greninja: WFT/ROB
Rosalina: Mewtwo

Anyone not listed I'm fine with playing! I can even power through most of those listed matchups sides Megaman and Sheik, Luigi's absolute worst without a shadow of a doubt.

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm reviving this necro thread but who do ya think is the most optimal secondary for Luigi?

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
I play Cloud and have no need for secondaries.

However I wouldn't recommend him as a secondary to anyone. With the meta so saturated with Clouds unless you want to get good with him, everyone knows what he does.

Honestly you may want to go with a swordy for a secondary, Marth or Corrin would be my recommendation.

Does Luigi have any bad matchups really? And by bad I mean unwinnable with practice.

Last edited:

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
Tbh for me its Rosalina where the match feels unwinnable which I usually play at every local kinda got fed up with the match up.

Top Bottom