• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sealer of Darkness - BotW Zelda for Smash! Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity confirmed!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
zelda.jpg

Who is Zelda (BotW)?
I think it's safe to say that everyone who is reading this is at least somewhat familiar with Zelda's role in the overall story of the Zelda games. In almost every Zelda game she is the Princess of Hyrule who possesses the Triforce of Wisdom.

Like previous Zelda games, Breath of the Wild introduces a new iteration of Zelda. This time she is both the Princess of Hyrule and the leader of the Champions of Hyrule. She is also an avid researcher who researches ancient technology while also sensing the emerging presence of Ganon. There are many flashback scenes that show Zelda's life 100 years before the start of the game, which includes her travels with Link and making plans of what to do next. Eventually Ganon begins his assault and Link nearly dies protecting Zelda from possessed Guardians. Zelda then gains the ability to communicate with the spirit within the Master Sword, which instructs her to take Link to the Shrine of Resurrection so that he may be revived. Zelda then leaves the Master Sword in the Korok Forest for Link to find and proceeds to fight off Ganon in Hyrule Castle for 100 years.

After Link defeats Ganon's final form, Zelda is freed from Hyrule Castle and proceeds to destroy Calamity Ganon. Now free from holding Ganon off, Zelda can now maintain the land of Hyrule along with Link.

This exact iteration of Zelda will reappear in Breath of the Wild's upcoming sequel.

How would she play?
Breath of the Wild introduced many new mechanics to the series, many of which involve the Sheikah slate. A few of these include stasis (stopping an object), magnesis (utilization of magnetic energy), and cryonis (create ice pillars). Considering how BotW Zelda is involved with research she could easily utilize these powers.

Zelda is also the leader of the four Champions: Mipha, Revali, Daruk, and Urbosa. Each of these Champions have powers of their own that they grant to Link once he has cleared their respective temple. Because of her relation to the Champions, Zelda could easily borrow some techniques without it being a giant stretch.

Zelda's appearance in the next game also means there could be more moveset ideas when it releases. If Zelda herself becomes playable then her moveset potential increases even more.

Full moveset coming soon (I'll most likely add a full moveset draft once I get my hands on the new Hyrule Warriors).

Why should she be playable?
Breath of the Wild is one of the most critically acclaimed Zelda games of all time, up there with Ocarina of Time. The game gave the Zelda series a new life and is the best-selling game in the series as of this writing. Having the BotW version of Zelda be playable would be a way to represent the game even when the Link in Smash one day changes out of his BotW design. This version of Zelda is also one of the only iterations of the character to play an active role in the story of multiple mainline games (not counting spinoffs and games where she just waits to get rescued). Zelda's character in BotW was also well-received by fans and there are even many people who would like to see her playable in BotW's sequel.

Counterarguments:

"Sakurai said in the 2018 E3 Direct that Zelda (BotW) was more into research than fighting, so she can't ever be playable!"
This was only when he was thinking about choosing how the regular Zelda in Smash would look. Zelda (BotW) using moves like Din's fire and Nayru's Love would seem a bit off, so it made sense for them to go with the Link Between Worlds design for the regular Zelda.

EDIT 9/9/20: BotW Zelda is now a playable character in the upcoming Hyrule Warriors game so this argument is dead. It'll be even more dead if Zelda is playable in the BotW sequel.

"Zelda barely fights in BotW, so she has no moveset potential!"
:zeldamelee: says hi. We also have :4villager: and :4wiifit: in terms of nonfighters. As I mentioned earlier, Zelda (BotW) could fight by utilizing the many mechanics present in BotW.

EDIT 9/9/20: Like I said in the previous edit, Zelda can fight in the new Hyrule Warriors game using the various rune abilities from BotW. This argument is officially dead.

"ANOTHER Triforce character? How about choosing someone from the series other than Link/Zelda/Ganon for crying out loud?"
Completely fair point, though for what it's worth this iteration of Zelda is very popular and will even be a key character in BotW's sequel. If Zelda is playable in that game then demand for a playable version of her in Smash will presumably increase as well.

"The Champions have better moveset potential! They should all be playable before her!"
Each of the Champions would make great fighters though I think with Zelda playable, they could all be represented through the use of the powers that they give Link in BotW. Zelda for instance could use Revail's Gale as her recovery and Daruk's protection for a defense/counter move.

"There's already a character named Zelda in the game, there can't be another one!"

:4feroy::4roy::4feroy::4roy::4feroy::4roy::4feroy::4roy::4feroy::4roy::4feroy::4roy::4feroy::4roy::4feroy::4roy:

And if the name thing is that big of an issue, they could take a liberty by slightly changing the name through an original idea like they did with Toon Link.

Her chances:

With 5 more slots left for Ultimate and two new games featuring her that will be releasing soon, BotW Zelda's chances are much greater than they were during the first Fighters Pass. If Nintendo wants to use the second Fighters Pass for promotional characters like they did with Min Min, then I think BotW Zelda may actually have a shot.

--------------------------------------------------------

Do you support the idea of the BotW version of Zelda becoming playable in Smash someday? If so, then feel free to join the supporters group by commenting below!

Supporters:
Sari Sari
Sebas22 Sebas22
UserKev UserKev
TheYungLink TheYungLink
S SSBCandidates
KirbyMonadoBoy KirbyMonadoBoy
amageish amageish
TDDolphin TDDolphin

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
If there's three Links, I don't see why not. In fact, it would be an improvement over the "echo" Links, since her abilities are not the same as the other Zeldas.
By the way, I think her moveset should be:
Most :GCA: Attacks: Sealing Magic. Similar to how most attacks from Lucas are PK Love.
:GCB: Attacks: Sheikah Slate powers.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So with more DLC coming up and the sequel to BotW happening, she might actually have a chance now. I'll try to update this thread in the coming days.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I support. BOTW Zelda is a completely welcomed revamp for the character. If its one move I can easily imagine BOTW Zelda having is, sliding while using her bow and arrows.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
While I appreciate that Ultimate Zelda uses her A Link to the Past / A Link Between Worlds design, and I appreciate that that decision allowed the Zelda cast in Smash Ultimate to represent multiple Zelda games at once, I never liked Sakurai's reasoning for why BotW Zelda was excluded. "Since the Zelda in that game is more of a researcher"... yeah Zelda in BotW learns by the end to harness her powers, and the Zelda in Smash uses a moveset taken from a version of Zelda we never see fight in the game anyway, aside from a force of light she uses to restrain Ganon.

If restraining Ganon was enough to make her a fighter in OoT, then it stands to reason that the Zelda who restrains Ganon for a whopping 100 years (and unlike Link in OoT she deals the finishing blow herself this time) is more than qualified to be playable.

I'm also admittedly biased, as the Zelda in BotW is by far my favorite in the whole series. She combines the aspect of having a close relationship with Link that Skyward Sword Zelda had, with the seriousness and regal style of Twilight Princess Zelda, and is the central character of the game, with the true ending revolving around recovering Link's memories of her journey to realize her potential. She also has a great design that stands out among everyone else in Smash.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
If they designed her after her appearance in the BOTW sequel, she might have a lot more to differentiate herself in combat aside from having access to runes and Champion powers, assuming she has a much more significant role in the new game (hint: playable character).

If she got in Smash, they'd give her a unique title. What would you call her? "Explorer Zelda"? "Champion Zelda"? "Wild Zelda"?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't really want another Zelda to get in, but her BotW design is one of the best and I would have loved to see that be the one chosen (still really like the ALBW one, but this one would have been something special).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so from what he said in the byleth video, he saw botw zelda blast calamity ganon and thought "wow she can't fight"

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
so from what he said in the byleth video, he saw botw zelda blast calamity ganon and thought "wow she can't fight"
He said he played an early version of the game. Maybe he only saw a few of the memories where she has trouble realizing her powers? Part of me thinks he never beat the game and ran out of time before needing to come up with how he would redesign Link this time for Smash Ultimate.

I don't think it's as simple as you say, but either way, that comment of his is confusing and inaccurate.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He said he played an early version of the game. Maybe he only saw a few of the memories where she has trouble realizing her powers? Part of me thinks he never beat the game and ran out of time before needing to come up with how he would redesign Link this time for Smash Ultimate.

I don't think it's as simple as you say, but either way, that comment of his is confusing and inaccurate.
i think he said he played it early rather than an early version. all his comments are confusing and inaccurate

Emelie

Smash Cadet
If she ends up playing a big role or maybe even becomes playable in Botw 2 then I would say yes. After all the actual story of Botw 1 is about Zelda for the most part.

They would have to make her different from Link to the Past Zelda that we currently have though. Don't make her an echo fighter or a costume. I know people are tired of sword fighters but they could draw inspiration from Hyrule Warriors where Botw Zelda is playable.

If she ends up playing a smaller role or becomes a damsel in distress in Botw 2 I would say no.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
do you suppose zelda's current final smash is partially based on the end of botw?
I think her final smash would be based on something from Botw 2 if that is the version they choose to use. Maybe some plot important event where Zelda plays a big role (assuming she does).

They would probably want to promote the new game if they went through the trouble of adding her as a DLC characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think her final smash would be based on something from Botw 2 if that is the version they choose to use. Maybe some plot important event where Zelda plays a big role (assuming she does).

They would probably want to promote the new game if they went through the trouble of adding her as a DLC characters.
im talking about the in game zelda

Emelie

Smash Cadet
im talking about the in game zelda
According to the official site Zelda "seals the opponent with the triforce of wisdom". I guess it could be a reference to Botw but it could also be a reference to Ocarina of Time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
According to the official site Zelda "seals the opponent with the triforce of wisdom". I guess it could be a reference to Botw but it could also be a reference to Ocarina of Time.
how is it a reference to OOT? she didnt do anything like in OOT.

look i just think theres a similarity to the way she uses her power in botw (shown to be triforce related) to trap ganon and then blast him is similar to when in smash she traps them in the triforce of wisdom and blast them

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh, beam or force field, it does the same thing, the difference isn't really significant.
but i was comparing it to her final smash, in Botw she traps ganon in a ball of light which gets smaller and then explodes which is what the triforce of wisdom does in smash

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So the recent Famitsu column confirms that this final wave of DLC has been decided by Nintendo and not Sakurai.

With that being said, I can definitely see BotW Zelda being a Nintendo-endorsed promotional pick for BotW2.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Can't believe we're getting an entire separate game dedicated to BotW's backstory. All of the Champions as well as Zelda are playable too!

Not saying this means anything but it's crazy that we're getting both a direct sequel AND a prequel to BotW.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Count me in as a supporter! Imo she is the most likely Zelda-character for Smash and I could totally see them including her. My most wanted is Mipha, but if BotW-Zelda ends up playable in Smash, I'll be really happy too.

amageish

Smash Master
Well, definitely say she can't fight now!

I support BotW Zelda! She'd be fun variety in moveset, even if not exactly variety in actual character...

I wonder how they'd augment her name. My thought is just "Queen Zelda" as that is logically her title. Granted, it's not like current Zelda is called "Princess Zelda"...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I think the best part about the new Hyrule Warriors announcement is that it kills several arguments about BotW Zelda, like her not having any moveset potential. I updated the original post to reflect that. I know I've been holding off on doing the moveset, but I'll probably create a complete one once I see how she plays in Age of Calamity.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Well, definitely say she can't fight now!

I support BotW Zelda! She'd be fun variety in moveset, even if not exactly variety in actual character...

I wonder how they'd augment her name. My thought is just "Queen Zelda" as that is logically her title. Granted, it's not like current Zelda is called "Princess Zelda"...
"Wild Zelda". Simple. Classy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so latest age of calamity info suggests that everyone can use the runes which leads me to wonder what zelda's playstyle will be as it seems my initial assumption of a rune based moveset was wrong

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I think she can still use runes even if other characters can too. My ideal moveset would be for Zelda to utilize both runes as well as the Champion abilities that you get after beating each temple in BotW. I have some ideas already though I'll lay out a full moveset once I play the new Hyrule Warriors.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think she can still use runes even if other characters can too. My ideal moveset would be for Zelda to utilize both runes as well as the Champion abilities that you get after beating each temple in BotW. I have some ideas already though I'll lay out a full moveset once I play the new Hyrule Warriors.
well the runes seem to be a similar function to the items in the previous hyrule warriors which is why i wondered

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, it's interesting how we may not have... any real knowledge of how Zelda is going to play in Hyrule Warriors, if everything they've shown thus far are just item moves. Her key art still has her holding the slate though, so maybe she has a unique slate moveset in addition to the item-esque slate powers? Hard to say, but it's a mystery for sure...

That said, she could still totally use runes in Smash and it'd be really cool to see her be a rep for some of the puzzle mechanics of the Zelda series in Smash...

amageish

Smash Master

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
BotW Zelda is currently being rated in the RTC thread!

Follow the rules (2 sentences for chance AND want) and be sure to post your thoughts on her!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm gonna be really honest... I'm kind of disappointed in Zelda's moveset in Age of Calamity. All of the characters have their own unique abilities/fighting styles in addition to being able to use runes... then you have Zelda who just fights with runes.

I can still try to write up a moveset for her but I think the BotW sequel will do her more justice in the moveset department.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm gonna be really honest... I'm kind of disappointed in Zelda's moveset in Age of Calamity. All of the characters have their own unique abilities/fighting styles in addition to being able to use runes... then you have Zelda who just fights with runes.

I can still try to write up a moveset for her but I think the BotW sequel will do her more justice in the moveset department.
give it time

amageish

Smash Master

I, uh, think this may be a great calamity for the odds of a lot of Zelda reps...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
With this spirit event as well as the Ancient Soldier costume being a FP2 bonus, yeah I think Zelda is pretty much done for unfortunately.

Only saving grace is BotW 2 but even then I'm keeping my expectations super low.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
With this spirit event as well as the Ancient Soldier costume being a FP2 bonus, yeah I think Zelda is pretty much done for unfortunately.

Only saving grace is BotW 2 but even then I'm keeping my expectations super low.
its always best to keep expectations low

Top Bottom