• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD'ing when attempting Flip Kicks

Degero

Smash Rookie
NNID
devonwfx
So, I'm not a competitive player by any means. I play FG and I play with my friends. I love the game, I know all about it on a competitive level, but I don't go to tournaments or anything because I'm garbage.

I've recently been attempting to get into ZSS because she's fun and stylish as hell. However, I often find myself self destructing when attempting flip kick spikes. Anybody got any tips?

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
Don't spend both your jumps before using it. It's also very situational and should be used as such. If you miss the flip kick and then the enemy hits you, than you've pretty much lost a stock.

Birdman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Naysayerr
When launching the opponent offstage and you want to flip kick spike them, do NOT input the kick too late for it will be impossible for you to recover once you passed a certain point (ZSS may not be too low during the second half of the move if you do it from the ground for instance).
I recommend you to figure it out for yourself in training mode. Usually if you want to recover from the kick you'll have to use ZSS' tether to grab the ledge but keep in mind that this can also be read and punished by a good opponent. And try to play around with the spacing of the move by using the Control Stick right after the Down B input for extending or shortening the distance to the opponent or directional inputs together with the kick for you can spike in two different directions which will determine whether you hit the sweetspot or not in some cases.

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
One thing I found out recently to help prevent overextending flip kick is to b-reverse or wavebounce it, which stops your momentum as you kick so you don't fly as far if you whiff. I think I learned about it from this video by Nick Riddle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miDE-uP9Syg
Admittedly it's sometimes hard to think about this during an match but it's still an option to consider if you find yourself going too far with flip kick too often.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
One thing I found out recently to help prevent overextending flip kick is to b-reverse or wavebounce it, which stops your momentum as you kick so you don't fly as far if you whiff. I think I learned about it from this video by Nick Riddle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miDE-uP9Syg
Admittedly it's sometimes hard to think about this during an match but it's still an option to consider if you find yourself going too far with flip kick too often.
This is way too complicated wtf. You can just use c-stick flip kicks to manipulate the kick momentum.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
This is way too complicated wtf. You can just use c-stick flip kicks to manipulate the kick momentum.
Yeah. A note here. The only difficult one is flip kicking out when moving off stage. This often sums up your momentum (holding out and flipping out) and you fling yourself off stage. I've found two methods for preventing this.

One way to do this is to flip off stage, hold toward the stage, press A, then immediately slam the control stick to the right. Result: you flip kick outward with no outward momentum. It's the method I've found that has the least number of inputs with the least number of buttons.

Alternatively, hitting the control stick and the c-stick in opposite directions when you kick works too (c-stick IN, control stick OUT). The kick will go in the direction of the control stick.

Hope that helps!

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Yeah. A note here. The only difficult one is flip kicking out when moving off stage. This often sums up your momentum (holding out and flipping out) and you fling yourself off stage. I've found two methods for preventing this.

One way to do this is to flip off stage, hold toward the stage, press A, then immediately slam the control stick to the right. Result: you flip kick outward with no outward momentum. It's the method I've found that has the least number of inputs with the least number of buttons.

Alternatively, hitting the control stick and the c-stick in opposite directions when you kick works too (c-stick IN, control stick OUT). The kick will go in the direction of the control stick.

Hope that helps!
If you use smash stick you can just press inward with left stick and press outward with c-stick to kick outward.
With control stick, your described method is the go to method.

Top Bottom