• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SDB Present : Edmas , Dec 16th. Newcastle upon Tyne

Kone

Smash Master
SDB Presents : Edmas, Dec 16th. Newcastle upon Tyne

A season greetings to all! Time for a little Christmas carol to get us all in the mood, I expect everyone to sing along at home:

Here Comes Santa Claus
Gene Autry, Oakley Haldeman

Here comes Santa Claus!
Here comes Santa Claus!
Right down Santa Claus Lane!
Vixen and Blitzen and all his reindeer
are pulling on the reins.
Bells are ringing, children singing;
All is merry and bright.
Hang your stockings and say your prayers,
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight.

Here comes Santa Claus!
Here comes Santa Claus!
Right down Santa Claus Lane!
He's got a bag that is filled with toys
for the boys and girls again.
Hear those sleigh bells jingle jangle,
What a beautiful sight.
Jump in bed, cover up your head,
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight.

That’s better, hope were all feeling jolly and warm inside.

Edmas will take place on Saturday 16th December in Newcastle upon Tyne. This will be the third large tournament I’ve personally hosted. This will be the second stop of the UK 06/07 Season and the Winter edition. Placings at this tournament will be combined with that from AR to produce a UK ranking system that will roll over to future UK tournaments. Myself and the SDB are aiming to make this a fun tournament for all!

Details :

Contact Details / Host Details :

Ed by ;
Email - ceddon@hotmail.com
MSN - ceddon@hotmail.com
AIM - KoneofNewcastle
Mobile - If you need this send me a PM, I will reply promptly.

For those with any inquiries just send me a pm on smash boards or email me. If this is your first tournament and your on the young side then I’m more than willing to chat with parents on the phone. I’ve done this several times in the past.

Backroom Staff:

These are the guys that will be helping me run the tournament. Please say thank you to them if your know who they are when you leave. A lot of these people have no major interest in Smash and are given me their time and therefore yours to help make this things run smoothly ;

Richy ( The Mole )
Stevie (Big Man)
Addy
Laura
Jess

Travel :

Train: Get a train to Newcastle upon Tyne Central Station. If your travelling by train I urge you to purchase tickets as soon a possible. Advance purchase tickets are released by train companies eight weeks before the departure date. Saying as Edmas is only 7 weeks away this is the best time to purchase. Advanced purchase tickets are limited to a quota per journey, so the later you book the less likely you are to get one. Normal tickets will be around double that of advance purchase.

For those that are travelling in groups I urge you to buy group tickets. Train companies offer two types ; group of 4 or 10. These tickets are great as they considerably reduce the cost of travel. The only criteria is that if you book a group ticket all parties named on said ticket MUST travel. If they do not and flake last minute it invalidates the ticket. In my opinion this is great for the likes of the Mafia, GMC and London scene.

I’ve done a little research on train tickets from London so people can see the difference :

E.g. Travelling from London to Newcastle, leaving early Sat morning and retuning teatime Sunday the total cost if you have a group of ten discount is £43.60 pp. This suggests to me already that train tickets are going to be a little on the dear side!

Contact National Rail Enquiries on the following number for advice : 08457 48 49 50

My last hint on travelling by train is too look into Rail cards. For only £20 pound for a year you will get a 30% discount. Child and Student card are available;
:

Though this may not save you money on THIS journey it will in the future. If your serious about being involved in the Smash Community then this will serve you well for the 06-07 season.

Coach:

If your travelling by coach you want to arrive at Newcastle upon Tyne coach station. If your low on money that coach is your best option, however what if offers in price you lose out on comfortable ride. Less space and longer travelling times.

Purchase tickets from National Express on 08705 808080 or visit www.nationalexpress.com. For those travelling from London then I urge you to look into the funfares . These tickets are available from any location in the UK to and from London. They are ridiculously cheap. However, the journey times are minging.

Yet again another example from London :

E.g. Arriving early morning Saturday and leaving teatime Sunday is currently £7 return.

Another trick for people. If your really skint and don’t live in London but live in the Southern regions try the following. Get a funfare from your town to London and then purchase another funfare from London to Newcastle. This should cut costs.

Plane:

With more and more low cost airlines around and airports carrying more airlines than airfares can be an option for you. However, for this specific tournament it may not be an option for two main reasons ;

1. It’s the Winter period, more people are travelling near Christmas. I expect that for this reason flights will be priced out for most.

2. I’ve only given 7 weeks notice! If , like AR, everyone had three months to plan their journey then airfares may have been perfect.

In any case I’ve compiled a list of cheap airlines for all and where they fly from. Ive found in a lot of cases that people are unaware of what airports are nearby and what airlines they carry. His information maybe useful for most parties in the future ;

www.easternairways.com
www.flybmi.com
www.bmibaby
www.easyjet.com www.jet2.com .
www.thomsonfly.com www.flybe.com
www.flyglobespan.com
www.ryanair.com

E.g. from London : A return flight from Lon Stansted to Newcastle with easy jet is currently £40.98.

Car :

If your travelling by car then a useful website is ;

www.aarouteplanner.com

Simply put your postcode in the departure field and my post code (NE6 5NU) in the arrival field. Then print off instructions. Always remember if you can pack a car full then the petrol costs between 4 or 5 will always be cheaper then any other form of transport (save the Coach funfare). Road trips with mates are always good banter!

There is also plenty of free car parking space in my street.

FINALLY REGARDING TRANPORT. IM ASKING EVERYONE TO PM, THAT’S PM ON SMASHBOARDS, THEIR TRAVEL DETAILS. IE HOW YOUR TRAVELLING AND YOUR ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE DATES. IF YOUR COMING BY CAR THEN LET ME KNOW YOUR APPROXIMATE TIME OF ARRIVAL. DO NOT POST THE INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD, OR YOU WON’T BE PICKED UP.

WHEN YOU HAVE SENT ME YOUR PM I WILL TELL YOU WHETHER YOU WILL BE PICKED UP FROM YOUR ARRIVAL POINT BY CAR OR TOLD TO GET NEARER MY HOUSE MY METRO. CAR PICKUPS WIL BE LIMITED, MAINLY TO THOSE ARRIVING AT SILLY TIMES. IF TOLD TO GET THE METRO FOLLOW THESE INTRUCTIONS:

By Coach :

WALK :

Once you have walked through the entrance to the train station turn left. You will notice a large Black ‘M’ on a yellow background. This donates the entrance to the Metro. Purchase a ticket to ‘Chillingham Road’ , should cost between £1 - 2 . You can skip the ticket as inspectors are very few. But don’t blame me if you get caught ! (I’ve been caught once in my life >_> ).

Take the left hand platform and go one stop to Monument. Change at Monument to the Eastern line. From here you travel two stops and get off at Chillingham Road metro. Then give me a ring to be collected.

By Train :

As above except the initial walking paragraph.

By Plane :

When you pass through the arrival gate and into the main building you will notice signs for the Metro leading to your left. Follow them. Purchase a ticket to ‘Four Lane Ends’ . Cost you around £2-3. Get on ANY Metro, either platform. Stay in the Metro for 5 stops, and change at South Gosforth. You don’t need to change platform. Stay on the platform you got off on. Wait for a ‘Coast’ metro and get off at Four Lane Ends, takes two stops. DO NOT get on a ‘Airport’ train. Funnily enough you will go back to where you started X_x.

VENUE :

The venue is at this address ;

24 Cardigan Terrace
Heaton
Newcastle upon Tyne

NE6 5NU

I will be running this one day event at my own home. I have decided on this for the following reasons ;

1. Cost and - I’ve looked into purchasing halls for the December period and it is more than normal. Saying as I heard a lot of people grumbling about the cover fees at SCT4 and AR then running it from my own house will save YOU money.

2. Availability - The venue I previously used is unavailable for the December period, fully booked up. The only halls I can find are further from the centre of Newcastle and therefore further hassle for me and you.

3. Easeability - By running the tournament from my house it makes running the tournament easier and allows us all more time. I.e no shuttling Tv’s around.

The only limitation to running the tournament in my house is space. However, my first tournament was ran from in a house and SDB have agreed that there is enough space. We feel that the house has as much available space as that of the AR venue. While also segmenting the space between rooms, allowing groups to interact more rather than feeling crowded in one space.

GENERAL TOURNAMENT INFORMATION:

The tournament is going to be a one day event. I will be running the following events ;

1. Singles

 4 Stock
 8 Minute time limit
 Best of three games
 Loser picks next stage or switches character. Not slobs
 Following stages are on random : Pokemon Stadium, Final Destination and Dreamland 64
 Pokemon Stadium to be used at the start of every game. SDB LOVE PS.
 Banned stages = all the crap ones. Will update this with common sense later.
 Pot split 60/25/15

Singles will be ran first, starting around 1pm. Registration will be a little earlier around 12.30pm. The format of singles will either be Pools or Swiss. Im VERY tempted to run two swiss leagues, having the top eight from each division meeting in a normal 16 person Double Elimination bracket. In my opinion and my current thinking Swiss seems fairer. In Swiss you play around 5-7 matches against opponents within your division that have the same win/loss record. Therefore, except for the first match you would play all your matches should be against opponents of equal skill.

The following will be seeded for singles, based upon the placements at AR ;

Top Seed

 The Doug
 Jam5
 Kone
 Zeppo
 Charles
 Reacher
 MrP
 Sos

Low Seed

 Ogre
 Lord Rust
 Big Man
 Grayfox
 Lady
 Ac Anon
 Darvor
 Bloodbowler

2. Crews

Rules:

The crew tournament will be ran after singles. It will be a proper crew tournament, ran in single bracket format. Only recognised crews will be allowed to participate. As for now I recognise ; Mafia, SDB, GMC, STFU and RAF. If you and your crew are not on that list and would like to compete please post in this thread so that your involvement can be considered. I want the crew battle to be as pure as possible.

The Mafia and SDB will be seeded.

Equipment

So far I have the following ;

7 x 28 inch Tvs
2 x 21 inch Tvs
5 x Small Tvs
5 x Setups ( Gamecube, Smash game and Memory Card)
3 x Sound Systems
2 x Video Camcorders
1 x TV Capture Card

I’m therefore looking for 9 more setups. Please let me know if your willing to bring one.

Also, if you bring a setup please label it.

If your driving and want to bring a 21 inch or bigger TV please do so. More larger Tvs the better.

Housing

Housing is offered to everyone on the SATURDAY NIGHT. I urge everyone to stay the Saturday night. I can’t guarantee when singles or crews will finish. Im not in any rush to get the tournament over quickly.

Therefore there will not be any housing available on the Friday night. Why?! Its simply not fair to incapacitate the rest of my housemates for more than one night. Their not all smash addicts and therefore we should all be grateful that their llowing us the house for the weekend already.

What this means is that when your booking your travel, please look to arrive early Saturday morning. If you book early enough this should not be a problem. This ties in with the notion of everyone staying the Saturday night. As long as we can get this tourney kicked off by 1-2ish, then we still have all night to get it done.

If arriving Saturday morning is going to be a tremendous problem let me know. I maybe able to cater for a few on the Friday eg if the RAF are driving up from London then this will be offered.

Due to this I’m not willing to house any foreigners, so please look to come to a future UK tournament.

If your staying over the Saturday night I urge you to bring a sleeping bag. Also, I can’t guarantee many people won’t be sleeping on the floor. Im going to be purchasing lilos (those you would use in water) in bulk for cheap. Let me know if you want me to reserve you one and give me the money for it. (Be like £1).

Tournament Festivities

As it is the Christmas period then their will eb a lot of Christmas activity going on!!! All of SDB will be dressed up in Christmas fashion. There will be a brilliant Xmas tree and decorations. SDB will have a nice Christmas card for everyone, so the SDB welcome Xmas cards from yourselves to hang on the wall!

Furthermore, I’m contemplating the idea of a ‘Secret Santa’. For those that don’t kow what this is, then the idea is simple. Each person buys a present worth no more than £2 and wraps it up. All presents will be put in a bag and handed out randomly at Christmas lunch. What do people think?! Let me know if your pro or against it.

Lastly we will be putting on a Christmas Lunch. It will be served between Singles and Crews and will involve everyone sitting around a very large dinning table. We will be serving ;

Carrots, Peas, Sweetcorn, Chicken, Roasties, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Gravy, Yorkshire Puddings with the choice of Coke, Orange juice or a cheap wine to drink. Oh and Xmas Crackers!!!

The cost of this will be £3 per person.

If you are a vegetarian please let me know and suggest an alternative for the Roasst Chicken.

Feedback is welcome!

Will also being doing a brief ice breaker before singles begins. I personally found that at AR there were a lot of new faces and frankly had no idea who they were. A short introduction. will serve nicely to get the new and old faces mingling ^_^

Conduct

General common sense. Be civil with each other, don’t antagonise. Put your litter in the bin. Bring deodrant and WEAR it. Don’t piss on the rim of the toilet. Shoes off when you come into the house. Be courteous to my housemates. When its late Saturday night keep the noise down for others sleeping and my neighbours. (Ill have a room cornered off for those wishing to head to bed earlier). If you smoke use my yard. If you want a joint use the yard or the room designated by myself as the smoking room ( you’ll find SDB here most the time lol). Drinking is fine, just don’t take the piss. This is after all to celebrate Christmas so SDB will be having more than one can. Your welcome to pop down local pubs or head into Newcastle town. Just let me know where you’ve gone and try keep noise down when re-entering the house at night.

Thank you!

CHECKLIST

 PM me your time of arrival
 PM, Email or MSN me if you need my mobile number
 Let me know whether you can bring a game cube etc
 Let me know if your considering coming I.e register online
 Let me know if your for or against ‘Secret Santa’
 Do you need a Lilo, £1?
 Have you got your sleeping bag?

Lastly I will be selling some ‘Edmas’ badges at the tournament. They will be mighty cool and ill have some designs online for all soon. They will cost £1 and all money raised will go to the National Autistic Society Charity. Thank you .

Look forward to seeing everyone at Edmas,

Ed x

monty06

Smash Ace
cool first post im there! i dont agree on couple seeds there but its not my choice its yours

COEY

Smash Lord
DAMMIT only got 2nd post :( lol neways sounds awesome you had better bet i will be there! I want a rematch from our pools game Ed this time i will try and avoid croutch cancelling those down smashes. Nice that STFU is a recognised crew and as BB joined us shortly before AR we have a seeded member to boot =D neways i'll get on with the checklist tommorrow kinda tired atm.

Edmas sounds great tho i want at least 10 badges

EDIT: Secret santa sounds cool. But regarding the food... theres no mash potato! u cant have roasties without mash and a ton of gravy now can you silly XD Tho seriously if anyone doesnt want there roasties PM me asap and i will gladly swop them on the day with you for my greens and carrots ><

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Nice one Kone.
I want to get to this but its too early to tell.I'll check travel **** soon and see if it is beyond my wallet.
-No doubles?
-I can bring a Gamecube
-What is a Lilo?
-Not bothered about Secret Santa,cant say at this point how important that £2 will be.
-I have a sleeping bag of my own.

To Monty,the seeds are straight from AR.You cant argue with placings so thats the best way of doing it.However,I do reckon a couple(if not more) players will have gotten better than the ones on the seed list by the time this tourney comes around.For instance,Twiggy probably should have been seeded at AR.

COEY

Smash Lord
Wasnt Twiggy seeded into his group along with Jam? Only Darvour was unknown and therefore unseeded thats why he didnt make it into the next round..... or am i just wrong?

Kone

Smash Master
Seedings could easily be argued with. There are several people that I think should be seeded that aren't. However, it is fairer to use the top 16 from AR and the players that could have been seeded can knock the otehr seeds off. This is especially easy in regards to the swiss format that ill probbly use, as people wont get screwed in pools!

EDIT EDIT : There will be mash potato, i was stoned when i typed that and forgot U_U

sorry guys : (

DevMBC

Smash Ace
****ing lush - AR was punch an pie but this the business =] ^__^ Good stuffz Ed =D

Darv

Smash Apprentice
Too good ! Im going for sure :)

Im not going by Coach this time >.< so anyone going from London by train let me know.

ac_anon

Smash Ace
Wow that was indepth, there is a fairly good chance il be able to come to this, il let you know later. Should be fun and im not losing to scott this time ^_^

Twiggy_Ramirez

Smash Apprentice
Wasnt Twiggy seeded into his group along with Jam? Only Darvour was unknown and therefore unseeded thats why he didnt make it into the next round..... or am i just wrong?
Right!...

alex was a real dark horse >.> so im glad hes seeded; i got pretty screwed in singles and dont suppose my doubles performance really affects this; anywho means ill have to work hard to get back up!

wanna do doubles again anon?

o and put me down for Secret santa!
nice one Ed XD

Kone

Smash Master
euan : teams is dependant on time really, ive no problem running it if singles and crews are done. also, depends on when people leave the sunday, if people leae around 4-5 we can run doubles beforehand.

if singles runs smoothly ill hoy doubles in before dinner

and you know you gotta come for some mas spirit euan ^_^

grayfox

Smash Champion
EXCUSEEEEEEEEE ME! Not top seed?"?!?!?!?R3e./wtw O_________________________________________________________________O

wait... O___________________________________________O

I'll be there = O <333333333

Sabo

Smash Cadet
Secret Santa sounds fun. So does the Edmas dinner! Make sure you have the controllers for the TVs (unlike AR/BB :@) I'm coming if GMC are coming :)

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
erm...im in top seed, thats gonna be hard o_o..im definitely coming though ^_^ cant wait ed

+ im gonna try play other chars, jiggz isnt fun obviously playing 30+ matches ;P

J03

Smash Master
wow, in depth...seriously organised

secret santa sounds mint (omg...who bought a paper clip o.0) ****ing luv it

but how u gonna get all tht food for only £3 a pop :S

btw as far as train tickets go can u get advanced group tickets?? and can u use discounts on top of them o.0, i doubt the latr but the advanced group tickets sounds as cheap as a shine kill XD

DSD9

Smash Apprentice
Eddy Poos, how informative was that JeEeEeSUS...Good work man....Even some of the scrubs that cant read probs got the jist of it ;)
Right Im coming down on the 13th u know that anyway, bit of smashtice in before Edmas....
I need to know if any of the regular S-D-B car crew is gonna be available or need/want picking up on the way through as usual...ie...Jam,Scott,Geoff, cause not only would it help out with my petrol but it would save them money and we get an awesome Trek as usual.x.Good sense on seedings from AR, ill have to change my current seed from nothing back up to seeded again deffo!
Cant remember if it was euan or Zeppo that asked what a lilo was...Its a highly top secret heat guided atomic missile with pre determined co-ordinates designed to take out high level seeds,-errr, its an inflatable single bed pretty much...Ed, its ****ing awesome to see so much interest should be a right larf, which room is dedicated to smoking then cause u know the S-D-B hall of residence is right there!
Oh and scott, do us a banner dude please.!
Good work

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
I'll be getting to this one! Awesome first post Kone :)

I'll be travelling from London so will be looking for a group to go with by car or train!

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Despite all the talk in the AR thread about the purity of real crews,if Euan doesnt go to this and I do,then I would want to make a crew only for this tourney.Since you are only holding Singles and Crews, and Doubles isnt even a certainty,then I dont see what the problem would be?

Edit:Didnt see what Sharpy had said about the Lilo before this post.Haha Cheers:)

Kone

Smash Master
Ill make a judgement call on crews / doubles nearer the date. Im not writing off doing doubles in the slightest.

Kman : By 6pm

I REALLY URGE people to look into booking tickets. Train tickets are looking steeply, it may have to be a coach job for alot of folks!

EDIT : Im a student bum, Ive had plenty experience eating cheaply. £3 each will suffice : )

Edit Edit :

Dan the man ^_^ well we've switched house, so its a new barracks. We have a front room/backroom and small dinning room that'll have tvs in and be used for runnign tournament / people to kip in. Were going to use stevies room on the first floor as the sdb smoking room :) sdb will sleep in there aswell as my room ^^

J03

Smash Master
man this is a large jump from goin BB's. train fare n fee arent a problem and bringing 3+ cubes aint a problem but TV's are unlikely :S u nvr kno tho

freak miracle FTW!!!

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
I looked into Megabus coaches and they are insanely cheap-from Edinburgh to Newcastle its
at the most £6.However,the earliest the buses come in to Newcastle at is 13-25.So basically,when is everything starting up?

DevMBC

Smash Ace
snow is falling =o
all around me ^_^
children playing >_O
having fun >_<

Tis the season :D
love an understanding :]
merry christmas ^__^
everyone ^.- except scott

ShineOfScott-SOS

Smash Journeyman
theres snow where ? exectp scott pfftt..hrash jam soo harsh =[ lol xxx

SDB facts
- Jam had a military hair cut
- Jam didnt own a pair of trainers
- Sos(scott/me) WAS better than Jam at one point lol
- Kone used to have a big fringe =]
- Gladam loves Cider

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
J03-Sort of,I should be going,Euan should be going since its mad cheap,and same goes for Allan.Plus we have a new player,Davemans,he plays Fox and he is very good:).I am pretty positive about all 4 of us showing up.

About the arrival time:we might also need time to warm up :-/ but we'll see what happens.I will probably book this week,even if Im not going,just to get em' when they're cheap.

SGT Stevie

Smash Journeyman
Rainhill - its small but everyone drinks.
My room's going to be the smoking room? I don't mind but there is a serious lack of communication in our household Kone/Ed. Mwah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We should use the cupboard that I trapped you inside as either an ulitmate hot-box or a naughty boys cupboard. I know you didn't enjoy your time in there! I'm thinking it should be for people who lie to themselves (ie Ryan).

Kone

Smash Master
===========EDMAS UPDATE ==================
Im contemplating no longer running crews. Ill replace crews with a Doubles tournament, that'll kick of at 2pm. Double Elimination only. Singles will start around 4pm and finish by 8pm.

This will give the likes of the Mafia warm up time etc

Furthermore, im looking to introduce a new rivalry into the mix :

NORTH V SOUTH
-----------------

North v South is a tradition within SDB. Everytime the members of the crew meetup, generally once a month, we divide our crew between two camps. North of England (Generally Yorkshire upwards) vs South of England split between two rival captains me and Jam. North haven't yet to win

I was thinking of introducing this into the smash community. We don't have the numbers for England v Scotland anymore, and I think its about time we introduced a new rivalrly. Afterall, we all know theres a north/south divide ^_^

This will be even more obvious when the northern monthlies begin at mine, and Calebs/Pauls Southern biweeklies begin.

Im therefore looking to hold the first North V South crew match at Edmas. 10 v 10 people. Squads looking something like this :

North
---------
Ryan
Kone
MrP
The Doug
Zeppo
Ac Anon
Geek (Does he still play euan?!)
BloodBowler
STFU
Gladam
Big Man
Mole
Qwester (if he is still alive)
Reacher
Dr Nikey

South
----------
Jam5
Charles
spkz
v3x?
Sos
DSD9
Twiggy
Darvor
RAF
Lord Rust
Ogre
Lady
JazzyGeoff

The split would look something like that. Team Captains would determine which of the ten are chosen. I may even get team shirts lol

What peolple think?

----------------

Im replacing crews as I reckon some of the crews are still too young to compete properly. I think its an idea to be used at TNJ or something. However, I will challenge the GMC to a crew money match during the Sat night ?!

North v South will be ran AFTER singles and will be recorded ^_^

I HATE the south

x

Stevie : I spoke to you about the smoking room idea the other day, you were too blitzed to remember ^_^

Top Bottom