• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Will this ever become available for Mac users? It looks REALLY awesome but I'm afraid I lack a PC.
If you can refer to a link or detail yourself how to get a hack such as Melee 20XX working for Mac, I can adopt that process to installing SD Remix for Mac users.

To everyone else: If all goes well...one more week. ;)

Gentlefox

Smash Cadet
Tried this for the first time today. So far I am extremely happy with it, even as a Fox main. Few concerns though:

1. Pikachu is absurdly fast. He doesn't need this many buffs, he's already pretty viable. Just giving him a Bair that isn't ass, maybe some more range on grab, and then something to help with the floaties, like a slight weight change seems adequate.
  2. Ness, Samus, Young Link, and GaW have pretty ridiculous projectiles. If there's one thing that's going to turn regular players off SD, it's having a flotilla of projectiles smother them to death. I've talked with The Phenom a lot about G&W's pan in Melee, and I think just making it easier to rapid-fire the sausages would be fine, it's already an amazing projectile. (AKA just make it so you can rapid-tap B instead of having to time it perfectly to make the pan instantly lower.) Ness's Side+B I'm not too sure about, but it seems like it will destroy slower characters. Samus' missiles are already very spammable, just look at Hugs on Dreamland. There are ~4-5 missiles onscreen at all times. If they were homing...*shudders*. Young Link I'm not too sure either, but it seems like a pretty extreme change, letting him cancel them like that.
  3. I'm really loving Mewtwo, but his Nair might be a little overkill. It was pretty hard to avoid in Melee, and now the hitboxes are even bigger. I think the old Nair was just fine, and would stick with the changes you guys made on all his other aerials. Big fan of his new tilts though, and his new Down+B.
Just my first impressions after playing for a few hours with a friend. Will try to finally get my ASM skills with Melee up to par so I can offer to code for this great project.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Tried this for the first time today. So far I am extremely happy with it, even as a Fox main. Few concerns though:

1. Pikachu is absurdly fast. He doesn't need this many buffs, he's already pretty viable. Just giving him a Bair that isn't ***, maybe some more range on grab, and then something to help with the floaties, like a slight weight change seems adequate.
  2. Ness, Samus, Young Link, and GaW have pretty ridiculous projectiles. If there's one thing that's going to turn regular players off SD, it's having a flotilla of projectiles smother them to death. I've talked with The Phenom a lot about G&W's pan in Melee, and I think just making it easier to rapid-fire the sausages would be fine, it's already an amazing projectile. (AKA just make it so you can rapid-tap B instead of having to time it perfectly to make the pan instantly lower.) Ness's Side+B I'm not too sure about, but it seems like it will destroy slower characters. Samus' missiles are already very spammable, just look at Hugs on Dreamland. There are ~4-5 missiles onscreen at all times. If they were homing...*shudders*. Young Link I'm not too sure either, but it seems like a pretty extreme change, letting him cancel them like that.
  3. I'm really loving Mewtwo, but his Nair might be a little overkill. It was pretty hard to avoid in Melee, and now the hitboxes are even bigger. I think the old Nair was just fine, and would stick with the changes you guys made on all his other aerials. Big fan of his new tilts though, and his new Down+B.
Just my first impressions after playing for a few hours with a friend. Will try to finally get my ASM skills with Melee up to par so I can offer to code for this great project.
Hi Gentlefox, thanks for trying out the game and glad you like it! Your concerns are quite valid, because I and my playtesters thought about these concerns before, so you're not alone.

After playing a little longer, we reached a bit of an impasse. We found counter-strategies to each of these 'concerns' (I'll give an aside to Pikachu in another post) but could not conclude whether or not these options are detrimental to the game overall or not (do remember Sheik can still likely invalidate most of the cast off four mistakes (one for each stock), and Fox and Falco do not quite fit the aesthetic concept of the game (namely due to the nature of shine). So I will not argue that point, your experiences are your own. But I will try to help you make your experience a little better (maybe?).

2. All these projectiles can be destroyed with a strong move or through dashdancing. Fox's Nair can hit through GnW's Sausage special and hit Game and Watch. His Sausage special in 3.0F is only particularly scary when used as an edgeguard tool, but any other utility is fairly risky, and a gimmick at best. The Sausage trajectory is random but nearly all the angles are fairly high up, so you could dash under them and punish Game and Watch if he decides to camp on-stage with them.

PK Fire is most definitely annoying, but you can ASDI left or right and roll away, jump, etc. You can even shine while inside it and redirect the remainder of the pillar at Ness if he tries to use it to reset into a throw or KO move. The move has very little hitstun. Also remember that PK Fire will not activate if you shield it, so you can use wavedash OoS and work your way through from there.

For Young Link, only his bombs have significant flexibility, and bombs requires him to commit to pulling it out and then throwing/dropping it in a meaningful position. Your speed and reactions can force Young Link to commit to risky maneuvers, allowing you to punish him in his move cooldown. For Boomerang, there is still 20 frames of start-up, so dashdancing to slowly close the gap is an option even if you cannot directly punish the move itself. Arrow are fairly linear and leave a huge gap above him and slightly below him if he's using the aerial versions.

Samus's homing missiles last much longer and have better homing, but she still has weak options in her close-range. Operating in neutral against her is a little more difficult, and the homing missiles are stronger edgeguarding tools as well, but the general strategy leading up to you closing in should remain the same. And once you get in, her options are unchanged from vMelee. If you are overly aggressive, you'll lose. Samus is difficult especially when she forces you to operate at her tempo, so take control of the pacing early on, but know when to stay back and assess the situation.

3. Mewtwo's Nair is certainly bigger and was one of the initial concerns in SD Remix. You can either dashdance out of his trajectory and shieldgrab after the landing hitbox, or Use a fairly fast move like Fox/Falco/Capt. Falcon Bair to beat it or at worst, receive a very favorable trade. Mewtwo may use it as a last-ditch effort to cover himself while trying to get back to the ground from a juggle situation, in which case you can shield preemptively as he falls and do an aerial OoS after the landing hitbox hits your shield.

I hope you keep playing and let me know your thoughts. Be sure to try out the next revision...coming out next week!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Troubleshooter, are you guys writing ASM codes or just modifying hitbox/char data and FSMs at the moment?
At the moment we are only modifying character data and FSMs. The only outstanding ASM-related request was to find and disable the function that requires Luigi to first use Down-B on-stage to "charge" the lifting mechanic in the air. The last ASM coder was unable to locate it.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Luigi Cylcone Always Charged [Achilles]
- Except for the very first use in a match (I think...)

Code:
Gecko Code:

(1.02)
041448B0 38000000

(1.00)
0414418C 38000000
Code:
DOL Mod:

(1.02) 
@ offset 0x141493 ---- change from 01 to 00

(1.00)
@ offset 0x140d6f ---- change from 01 to 00

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Luigi Cylcone Always Charged [Achilles]
Thank you for your hard work! However, IIRC, this is what the last ASM programmer did as well. This allows Luigi to stack multiple Down-Bs while airborne. I was unclear about what I wanted; I would like Luigi Cyclone to operate much like Mario Tornado or Dr. Mario's equivalent. I am certain this is much harder as I believe the air-use limit and the bit check for whether Luigi can gain lift in the air are highly related or controlled by the same mechanism.

SD remix is always v 1.00 not matter what you hack it over right?
Yes but only if you use a NTSC-J or NTSC-U game. SD Remix will not correctly 'patch' PAL Melee (it crashes on start up).

Last edited:

Gentlefox

Smash Cadet
Hi Gentlefox, thanks for trying out the game and glad you like it! Your concerns are quite valid, because I and my playtesters thought about these concerns before, so you're not alone.

After playing a little longer, we reached a bit of an impasse. We found counter-strategies to each of these 'concerns' (I'll give an aside to Pikachu in another post) but could not conclude whether or not these options are detrimental to the game overall or not (do remember Sheik can still likely invalidate most of the cast off four mistakes (one for each stock), and Fox and Falco do not quite fit the aesthetic concept of the game (namely due to the nature of shine). So I will not argue that point, your experiences are your own. But I will try to help you make your experience a little better (maybe?).

2. All these projectiles can be destroyed with a strong move or through dashdancing. Fox's Nair can hit through GnW's Sausage special and hit Game and Watch. His Sausage special in 3.0F is only particularly scary when used as an edgeguard tool, but any other utility is fairly risky, and a gimmick at best. The Sausage trajectory is random but nearly all the angles are fairly high up, so you could dash under them and punish Game and Watch if he decides to camp on-stage with them.

PK Fire is most definitely annoying, but you can ASDI left or right and roll away, jump, etc. You can even shine while inside it and redirect the remainder of the pillar at Ness if he tries to use it to reset into a throw or KO move. The move has very little hitstun. Also remember that PK Fire will not activate if you shield it, so you can use wavedash OoS and work your way through from there.

For Young Link, only his bombs have significant flexibility, and bombs requires him to commit to pulling it out and then throwing/dropping it in a meaningful position. Your speed and reactions can force Young Link to commit to risky maneuvers, allowing you to punish him in his move cooldown. For Boomerang, there is still 20 frames of start-up, so dashdancing to slowly close the gap is an option even if you cannot directly punish the move itself. Arrow are fairly linear and leave a huge gap above him and slightly below him if he's using the aerial versions.

Samus's homing missiles last much longer and have better homing, but she still has weak options in her close-range. Operating in neutral against her is a little more difficult, and the homing missiles are stronger edgeguarding tools as well, but the general strategy leading up to you closing in should remain the same. And once you get in, her options are unchanged from vMelee. If you are overly aggressive, you'll lose. Samus is difficult especially when she forces you to operate at her tempo, so take control of the pacing early on, but know when to stay back and assess the situation.

3. Mewtwo's Nair is certainly bigger and was one of the initial concerns in SD Remix. You can either dashdance out of his trajectory and shieldgrab after the landing hitbox, or Use a fairly fast move like Fox/Falco/Capt. Falcon Bair to beat it or at worst, receive a very favorable trade. Mewtwo may use it as a last-ditch effort to cover himself while trying to get back to the ground from a juggle situation, in which case you can shield preemptively as he falls and do an aerial OoS after the landing hitbox hits your shield.

I hope you keep playing and let me know your thoughts. Be sure to try out the next revision...coming out next week!
Interesting. For Samus, Ness, and YLink, I will have to play against one of their mains and think about your solutions. With G&W, I did play it against The Phenom, who probably has the best pan techniques in the world, but some more testing is required. I know the Nair counter with Fox does not work in regular Melee, as another sausage will generally hit his head, and the pan hitbox is extremely disjointed. (When the proper pan timing is achieved)

Nothing "ruined" my experience so far, in fact, my practice partner didn't abuse any of the techniques mentioned above. I'm not really worried about fighting them as Fox, just how players in general will feel about them. The subtle changes are fantastic. Aside from the pan, fighting G&W as Fox pretty much felt the same. I used the same rushdown tactics with liberal double-shine usage that I normally employ, and it worked fine. When they have the same "feel" as before, it makes me happy. That's why the projectiles stick out in my mind, they are very visibly noticeable, and could change their neutral games significantly. They feel less like 1.02 -> PAL, and more like Melee -> PM.

Some other things I forgot to mention:

• Mario, Roy, and Ganon are perfect.
  • Zelda is nice, although I need to test her more. Her Neutral B still seems lousy. Not sure about Side+B, as PM has spoiled me.
  • Aside from the arrow thing, the Link's both feel really natural. At least to me, their old styles still seem to shine though.
  • DK is great. His recovery is still bad, but that seems balanced. His side+B is still lousy though. Maybe shorter endlag and lower stun time to compensate?
  • The subtle Falcon changes are great. Is the changelog correct though? I swear his Upsmash is faster now, which is cool.
  • Why are items and bad stages on by default?
  • G&W's shield is a little buggy. Duck and light-shield with hitboxes shown, and you'll see what I mean. It stretches way out like a pancake.
  • The changelog is not pretty. I'll see if I can run through it, and make a more appealing page that explains it. Is the current changelog on page 1 100% accurate?
  • Getting this to work with the memory card bug would be fantastic. Most people I know still don't have hacked Wii's.
  • I still need to test Bowser, Yoshi, Pichu, Luigi, and Kirby more extensively. I'll try to run a small SD tournament soon and see how that goes. (Maybe 10 people)
  • Like I said before, I'm not that great with modifying Smash yet, but I have worked with various assembly languages, memory editors, and reverse engineering tools before, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you guys are brainstorming about a feature that requires custom code.
  • Very excited about this project. After a lot of community testing, and work, I would love for this to replace Melee. I'll see what I can do PR-wise. I'm in SoCal, so there are a lot of people I can show it to. If CrimsonBlur really likes it, big things could happen.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Thank you for your hard work! However, IIRC, this is what the last ASM programmer did as well. This allows Luigi to stack multiple Down-Bs while airborne. I was unclear about what I wanted; I would like Luigi Cyclone to operate much like Mario Tornado or Dr. Mario's equivalent. I am certain this is much harder as I believe the air-use limit and the bit check for whether Luigi can gain lift in the air are highly related or controlled by the same mechanism.

Yes but only if you use a NTSC-J or NTSC-U game. SD Remix will not correctly 'patch' PAL Melee (it crashes on start up).
So how exactly do their's work?

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
SD remix is always v 1.00 not matter what you hack it over right?
Interesting. For Samus, Ness, and YLink, I will have to play against one of their mains and think about your solutions. With G&W, I did play it against The Phenom, who probably has the best pan techniques in the world, but some more testing is required. I know the Nair counter with Fox does not work in regular Melee, as another sausage will generally hit his head, and the pan hitbox is extremely disjointed. (When the proper pan timing is achieved)

Nothing "ruined" my experience so far, in fact, my practice partner didn't abuse any of the techniques mentioned above. I'm not really worried about fighting them as Fox, just how players in general will feel about them. The subtle changes are fantastic. Aside from the pan, fighting G&W as Fox pretty much felt the same. I used the same rushdown tactics with liberal double-shine usage that I normally employ, and it worked fine. When they have the same "feel" as before, it makes me happy. That's why the projectiles stick out in my mind, they are very visibly noticeable, and could change their neutral games significantly. They feel less like 1.02 -> PAL, and more like Melee -> PM.

Some other things I forgot to mention:

• Mario, Roy, and Ganon are perfect.
  • Zelda is nice, although I need to test her more. Her Neutral B still seems lousy. Not sure about Side+B, as PM has spoiled me.
  • Aside from the arrow thing, the Link's both feel really natural. At least to me, their old styles still seem to shine though.
  • DK is great. His recovery is still bad, but that seems balanced. His side+B is still lousy though. Maybe shorter endlag and lower stun time to compensate?
  • The subtle Falcon changes are great. Is the changelog correct though? I swear his Upsmash is faster now, which is cool.
  • Why are items and bad stages on by default?
  • G&W's shield is a little buggy. Duck and light-shield with hitboxes shown, and you'll see what I mean. It stretches way out like a pancake.
  • The changelog is not pretty. I'll see if I can run through it, and make a more appealing page that explains it. Is the current changelog on page 1 100% accurate?
  • Getting this to work with the memory card bug would be fantastic. Most people I know still don't have hacked Wii's.
  • I still need to test Bowser, Yoshi, Pichu, Luigi, and Kirby more extensively. I'll try to run a small SD tournament soon and see how that goes. (Maybe 10 people)
  • Like I said before, I'm not that great with modifying Smash yet, but I have worked with various assembly languages, memory editors, and reverse engineering tools before, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you guys are brainstorming about a feature that requires custom code.
  • Very excited about this project. After a lot of community testing, and work, I would love for this to replace Melee. I'll see what I can do PR-wise. I'm in SoCal, so there are a lot of people I can show it to. If CrimsonBlur really likes it, big things could happen.
By all means, please test some more and give me your feedback. I give them all serious thought. If you could upload matches too, that would be fantastic! I look forward to seeing GnW pan in a new light (and seeing some sick/silly plays with the pan disjoint+autocancel *laughs*). :)

The changelist is very likely outdated, or not 1:1 accurate. I was not involved with SDR at the time of the 3.0F release and the previous battle planner did not document all changes (at least not publicly). I can't guarantee that the changelist will be made 1:1 by the 3.1 release, but I have been making note of EVERY change I make, so that's not a worry.

To address some of your bullet points, now with some requests of my own:

- the Captain Falcon changelist should be 100% accurate due to the small amount of changes. I double-checked the FSM master text file and his .dat compared to PAL .dat. No changes were done to Usmash.

- Items and stages just default to vMelee default (so everything is on if you have no memory card, or it loads your memcard preferences). Could you direct me to a page explaining how to set these defaults to something else?

- I will look into the GnW light shield. That's very strange.

- Memory card bug? Where can I go to learn more about this?

- A SD Remix tournament would be fantastic!

- We will keep in touch about your coding skills and PR connections. ;)

So how exactly do their's work?
- No need to 'charge' to access the lifting mechanic in the air. It's always available.
- The lifting mechanic is limited to one use in the air. Additional uses cause Doc/Mario to fall at their normal gravity (approx.). This limit is reset when they land on stage (not grab the ledge).

Achilles1515

Smash Master
By all means, please test some more and give me your feedback. I give them all serious thought. If you could upload matches too, that would be fantastic! I look forward to seeing GnW pan in a new light (and seeing some sick/silly plays with the pan disjoint+autocancel *laughs*). :)

The changelist is very likely outdated, or not 1:1 accurate. I was not involved with SDR at the time of the 3.0F release and the previous battle planner did not document all changes (at least not publicly). I can't guarantee that the changelist will be made 1:1 by the 3.1 release, but I have been making note of EVERY change I make, so that's not a worry.

- the Captain Falcon changelist should be 100% accurate due to the small amount of changes. I double-checked the FSM master text file and his .dat compared to PAL .dat. No changes were done to Usmash.

- Items and stages just default to vMelee default (so everything is on if you have no memory card, or it loads your memcard preferences). Could you direct me to a page explaining how to set these defaults to something else?

- No need to 'charge' to access the lifting mechanic in the air. It's always available.
- The lifting mechanic is limited to one use in the air. Additional uses cause Doc/Mario to fall at their normal gravity (approx.). This limit is reset when they land on stage (not grab the ledge).
Tell your ASM programmer that the charged/uncharged byte is +0x228C from that start of Luigi's player offset. So all you need to is put the original value back in from that last post, and then write a code that gets executed every frame to cycle through players and say

if player is Luigi --> if on ground (+0x140 from data offset - 00000000 = on ground) --> then write 00000000 (Luigi cyclone charged) to data offset +0x228C.
else, skip over everything.

You would just add that to your list of codes that get executed every frame to conserve code lines and only draw the player's character ID's one time per frame.

I think that would give you what you want.

Last edited:

Gentlefox

Smash Cadet

Ah, darn. I'll try manually diffing the files to see where changes are made, although I'm not familiar enough with the format yet to know exactly what the hex changes mean.

Hmm, guess I'm just crazy then =P

I think I saw Achilles or Magus explain it somewhere. I'll try to find it when my classes are finished. It's definitely possible though, as the 20XX pack has those defaults.

There's a stack overflow/overrun bug in the name entry code when it loads names from the memory card. This can be used to run unsigned code from the memory card. Again, I'll have to search for the details after my classes. I know that the 20XX guys are planning on using it though. It should allow for SD remix to be run with just a GC, Melee disc, and a memory card with a modified Melee save file on it. This save file can be made via a hacked Wii, or copied from someone else's via the Gamecube's save transfer feature.

I just got my recording setup working, so I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, none of my matches last night got recorded, but it was like 2AM anyway and we were just testing everything out.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Ah, darn. I'll try manually diffing the files to see where changes are made, although I'm not familiar enough with the format yet to know exactly what the hex changes mean.

Hmm, guess I'm just crazy then =P

I think I saw Achilles or Magus explain it somewhere. I'll try to find it when my classes are finished. It's definitely possible though, as the 20XX pack has those defaults.

There's a stack overflow/overrun bug in the name entry code when it loads names from the memory card. This can be used to run unsigned code from the memory card. Again, I'll have to search for the details after my classes. I know that the 20XX guys are planning on using it though. It should allow for SD remix to be run with just a GC, Melee disc, and a memory card with a modified Melee save file on it. This save file can be made via a hacked Wii, or copied from someone else's via the Gamecube's save transfer feature.

I just got my recording setup working, so I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, none of my matches last night got recorded, but it was like 2AM anyway and we were just testing everything out.
Just go to the DOL mod thread for offsets to change item frequency and default random stages.

There would need to be a lot of R&D done to get SD Remix compatible with the memory card hack. SD Remix is heavy on modifying specific files within the Melee ISO, that only get loaded into the RAM when necessary. And even though you can load custom code with the memory card hack, you still can't load custom files.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
There would need to be a lot of R&D done to get SD Remix compatible with the memory card hack. SD Remix is heavy on modifying specific files within the Melee ISO, that only get loaded into the RAM when necessary. And even though you can load custom code with the memory card hack, you still can't load custom files.
Indeed. The only possible saving grace would be if you could load data in a meaningful manner through, say, loading a corrupted Snapshot (from that obscure camera mode in Special Melee). I believe Brawl+ used to load codes using snapshots in the Vault for a short amount of time.

But what do I know? I don't even know assembly code so I can't even program achilles' suggestion (even with all the code logic typed in front of me!) yet, haha.

Gentlefox

Smash Cadet
Just go to the DOL mod thread for offsets to change item frequency and default random stages.

Right, forgot about that. If the entire character file gets loaded into RAM though, it could be made as a specific piece of code that gets triggered when starting the match. It detects what characters were selected, and modifies RAM appropriately.

Indeed. The only possible saving grace would be if you could load data in a meaningful manner through, say, loading a corrupted Snapshot (from that obscure camera mode in Special Melee). I believe Brawl+ used to load codes using snapshots in the Vault for a short amount of time.

But what do I know? I don't even know assembly code so I can't even program achilles' suggestion (even with all the code logic typed in front of me!) yet, haha.
If you mean the Luigi code, I'll see what I can do. Hopefully tonight I'll also be able to mod the DOL for no items and the proper stages. Maybe even skip results screen if I can find the info on that.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE

Watch IE's tutorial. Seriously.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Randomly switch a few float calculation values around with Kirby's Up-B. I kind of like it....but it's like...reverse intuitive. Check it out.

Kirby Up-B Mod
Code:
Gecko Code:
(1.00)
04084E9C C00306A8
04084EA0 D0030084
04084EA4 D0030080

(1.02)
04085144 C00306A8
04085148 D0030084
0408514c D0030080

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Right, forgot about that. If the entire character file gets loaded into RAM though, it could be made as a specific piece of code that gets triggered when starting the match. It detects what characters were selected, and modifies RAM appropriately.
Yeah, this is essentially what you would need to do. It would just take a lot of coordination.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
I'm out of the loop regarding exactly how the memory card hack is functioning at the moment, but what about modifying the load routine to check the memorycard for a file before the game file? If one is present, load that, otherwise load the game one.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I'm out of the loop regarding exactly how the memory card hack is functioning at the moment, but what about modifying the load routine to check the memorycard for a file before the game file? If one is present, load that, otherwise load the game one.
That's a good thought, but I highly doubt we could put every player's modified PlXX.dat files in the allotted space readable on the memory card. I may be wrong, but I have hunch it's too much. This is why textures from the memory card hack will be problematic as well, if you ever wanted to do that.

But again, there's tons of R&D to do.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
That brings me to another thought, slightly more out there. Is the size of a gamecube memory card limited by anything in software (i.e. perhaps a pointer which is U16 instead of U32 or whatever)? If not, it might be possible to have an SD to GC Mem card adaptor and then put whatever you want on it.

Edit: Just looking around the web, there are a lot of sd to memcard type products around, most offering support for at least a GB, so I'm going to assume that there isn't too much of a limitation on the software side of things.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
If you mean the Luigi code, I'll see what I can do.
I will seriously appreciate it if you could write the Luigi ASM code for SD Remix. What you do with your time is up to you, of course.

I have already modified the 3.1 main.dol with the SD Remix stages and the tournament neutrals+Pokemon Stadium as defaults on start-up. I think I've set the defaults to what most tournament players prefer (Rumble Off for example), but it's up for tinkering before the week is up.

Aside: I'm still on the fence with how to treat Yoshi's Island N64 and Fourside to be honest. Yoshi's N64 seems like an unorthodox counterpick stage, whereas Fourside is just...painful to the eyes. Something to do with the camera movement combined with the stage background. Otherwise it'd be fine.

@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 , seems like I've been seriously out of the loop with Melee hacking, so could you fill me in with how you disabled the announcements such as "Random Stage Select is now available" when the game start-ups with standardtoaster's codes on?

Kirby Up-B Mod
Code:
Gecko Code:
(1.00)
04084E9C C00306A8
04084EA0 D0030084
04084EA4 D0030080
I'll check it out for fun, sounds interesting!

Gentlefox

Smash Cadet
That brings me to another thought, slightly more out there. Is the size of a gamecube memory card limited by anything in software (i.e. perhaps a pointer which is U16 instead of U32 or whatever)? If not, it might be possible to have an SD to GC Mem card adaptor and then put whatever you want on it.

Edit: Just looking around the web, there are a lot of sd to memcard type products around, most offering support for at least a GB, so I'm going to assume that there isn't too much of a limitation on the software side of things.
If you are willing to lose native Gamecube support, there is no limitation. What is also possible is to have the device mimic a max "legal" size memory card, and then offer full capabilities if custom code asks it to. (Assuming the SD converter is custom. If you just buy one online, it won't work)

Requiring a custom converter and SD card really ups the effort required to play though. The changes themselves can fit on a normal size memory card, so that would be ideal.

Last edited:

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Finally got to play this, this is amazing, I absolutely love this mod. I love what you've done with Ness, its a little weird getting readjusted to standard controls and no raising aerials after playing pm, but this is amazing! thank you

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 , seems like I've been seriously out of the loop with Melee hacking, so could you fill me in with how you disabled the announcements such as "Random Stage Select is now available" when the game start-ups with standardtoaster's codes on?

I basically just made custom code that writes values saying the game has already seen those messages, to the appropriate memory addresses that correspond to special message location. It does that right during bootup.

Actually it might do it every frame while on the CSS. Either way...

Last edited:

Gentlefox

Smash Cadet
I will seriously appreciate it if you could write the Luigi ASM code for SD Remix. What you do with your time is up to you, of course.

I have already modified the 3.1 main.dol with the SD Remix stages and the tournament neutrals+Pokemon Stadium as defaults on start-up. I think I've set the defaults to what most tournament players prefer (Rumble Off for example), but it's up for tinkering before the week is up.

Aside: I'm still on the fence with how to treat Yoshi's Island N64 and Fourside to be honest. Yoshi's N64 seems like an unorthodox counterpick stage, whereas Fourside is just...painful to the eyes. Something to do with the camera movement combined with the stage background. Otherwise it'd be fine.

I'd like to do the Luigi mod via a character file edit instead of ASM if possible. Running code every single frame just for one tiny aspect of a character feels really gross.

For the life of me I can't get MasterHand to run though, (gotta love C#) so I'm rewriting it in JavaScript. Might take me a bit.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
@ sdremix_troubleshooter sdremix_troubleshooter Could you clarify what you mean by "Stacking down bs in the air"? Do you mean you can start a new one before the old one is finished? Or do you mean that every down-b can be rising, so you could theoretically hover with the right button presses?

I would have expected that flag to be set to false every time Luigi uses his down-b in the air, so I'm surprised if it was the second case. I'd be even more surprised if it meant you could start another down-b before the previous one had finished, that would be really weird.

Perhaps there is a better approach than writing the flag to memory location every frame if the character is luigi and is grounded. You could intercept the code that runs when he spawns and set the flag true in that instant, thus he would always start with it charged, but would otherwise follow the normal mechanics.

Otherwise I think Achilles suggestion is the only way to really do it if you absolutely never want to have to perform the down-b on stage to charge.

Incidentally, what stops a TAS Doc or Mario Tornado from gaining height indefinitely?

Edit: Actually I just read the thread a little more closely. The best way would be to insert the same logic for Luigi that Doc and Mario have. My guess would be when they enter a landing animation there's a check to see if their down-b flag is true, if not then set it true.

Edit 2: I wonder if you could just call the same function with a different pointer? Do they flag the same way?

Edit 3: I'll have a poke around tonight, I've been meaning to do so after watching IEs modding tutorial.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to do the Luigi mod via a character file edit instead of ASM if possible. Running code every single frame just for one tiny aspect of a character feels really gross.

For the life of me I can't get MasterHand to run though, (gotta love C#) so I'm rewriting it in JavaScript. Might take me a bit.
I don't think there is spare space in the .dat to safely write to. The safest way is to write directly to main.dol, although I understand it's pretty wasteful as far as coding goes.

The frame speed mod by Magus also uses a frame-by-frame character and action check, so you could possibly hitch your code with that: Guide - How to Add Frame Speed Modifiers via ASM coding. (courtesy of Magus) | Smashboards

Gentlefox

Smash Cadet
I don't think there is spare space in the .dat to safely write to. The safest way is to write directly to main.dol, although I understand it's pretty wasteful as far as coding goes.

The frame speed mod by Magus also uses a frame-by-frame character and action check, so you could possibly hitch your code with that: Guide - How to Add Frame Speed Modifiers via ASM coding. (courtesy of Magus) | Smashboards
You essentially want Luigi's grounded down+B to perform his aerial down+B, right? I imagine I can find a very simple way to do that without needing extra space.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
You essentially want Luigi's grounded down+B to perform his aerial down+B, right? I imagine I can find a very simple way to do that without needing extra space.
Not quite, I want Luigi to be able to use aerial down+B to generate lift (where you rise by mashing B within a frame window) without first using grounded down+B (which essentially toggles the lift function to 'on' in vMelee). Furthermore, the lift function must still retain the one-use limit (meaning you can't rise using down+B more than once in the air).

This behavior essentially should emulate Mario/Doctor Mario down+B moves when used for recovery.

Hope this clears up what I want, and if not, please do tell me. achilles' previous post on this topic details the code logic that would be necessary (or at least the most obvious way of doing it).

shuall

Smash Apprentice
Not quite, I want Luigi to be able to use aerial down+B to generate lift (where you rise by mashing B within a frame window) without first using grounded down+B (which essentially toggles the lift function to 'on' in vMelee). Furthermore, the lift function must still retain the one-use limit (meaning you can't rise using down+B more than once in the air).

This behavior essentially should emulate Mario/Doctor Mario down+B moves when used for recovery.

Hope this clears up what I want, and if not, please do tell me. achilles' previous post on this topic details the code logic that would be necessary (or at least the most obvious way of doing it).
So toggle it when luigi is grounded instead of when he does a grounded up-b?

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
I don't know if you guys like comparisons like this, but I've been having a lot more fun with this than PM. I would love to play a smashfest or tournament with this mod.

I really like the philosophy behind this in that you try to keep the character's personality and feel, even when trying to go in the name of balance, and a "Captain Falcon" level of balance sounds to me like "fun but not broken" (whatever that might mean), which I like.

As a Link main, I particularly like that arrows come out faster and they knockback horizontally. That an the new ftilt make me giddy. A friend of mine who plays Samus seemed to like the idea of the changes to the homing missiles, when I told him about it. I'm also a big fan of Kirby and he feels a lot more fun (fluid) in this mod than in vMelee. I also like how you didn't simply remove Pichu's self-damage and instead reworked it, though I always thought it would be interesting to have the self-damage have a side mechanic, like Wario's fart move, but that's probably (a) much too hard to implement and (b) a drastic change to the character that doesn't fit in the philosophy.

Anyway, the only real gripe I have is the barrier to entry. This obviously isn't your fault, but I feel that's what's the main thing holding this back. The easiest way I see is just playing it on a PC but my friends don't typically have beefy gaming rigs set up. I also tried going the soft-mod homebrew route on the Gamecube, via something like the SD Media Launcher running GCOS, but the latest version of SD Media Launcher apparently doesn't work, though I've sent the thing back to Datel and hoping to hear back from them soon.

Very excited for the next release. I'm hoping I can bring this to a smashfest sometime, but maybe I'll wait till the graphic changes take place so people don't feel like they're getting tricked into playing something other than vMelee.

If you will indulge me, I do have a few questions about your philosophy:
1. Is the Freeze Glitch still possible or have you taken that out? Since it is already banned, and assuming y'all had the bandwidth to do it, I was wondering if you guys tackle these kinds of issues.
2. How do you feel about infinite and kinda-infinites? In particular, this refers to Sheik's chaingrabs, as they're the most problematic. Personally, I feel that it messes up the risk-reward balance of the game, and slows the game down as the match basically stops while one character finishes its guaranteed sequence. My understanding is that sheik's downthrow is tweaked in the current version, but you plan on removing that in 3.1 and I'm just wondering what the rationale is. Perhaps the buffs to the low tiers are enough where this isn't an issue anymore?
3. How do you feel about small nerfs in general? I like that the top tiers haven't had any big changes, but I play with the PAL nerfs, and they're kinda nice, as I've always felt it was weird Marth's dair isn't a meteor and I've grown to like Falco's weird little pop at the end of the dair (though it was really weird at first as I was expecting to spike my opponent, lol). I understand that nerfs make it less likely people will want to switch over though. I don't really like the Marvel method of balance (break all the things!), so I guess I'm happy with a small(!) nerf every now and then.

Thanks for the hard work to make this possible. It's really hard for me to go back to vMelee after having played this for a while, even if it is just by myself.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
So toggle it when luigi is grounded instead of when he does a grounded up-b?
Woops. Yes, you're right!...why couldn't I have just said that instead?!

If you will indulge me, I do have a few questions about your philosophy:
1. Is the Freeze Glitch still possible or have you taken that out? Since it is already banned, and assuming y'all had the bandwidth to do it, I was wondering if you guys tackle these kinds of issues.
2. How do you feel about infinite and kinda-infinites? In particular, this refers to Sheik's chaingrabs, as they're the most problematic. Personally, I feel that it messes up the risk-reward balance of the game, and slows the game down as the match basically stops while one character finishes its guaranteed sequence. My understanding is that sheik's downthrow is tweaked in the current version, but you plan on removing that in 3.1 and I'm just wondering what the rationale is. Perhaps the buffs to the low tiers are enough where this isn't an issue anymore?
3. How do you feel about small nerfs in general? I like that the top tiers haven't had any big changes, but I play with the PAL nerfs, and they're kinda nice, as I've always felt it was weird Marth's dair isn't a meteor and I've grown to like Falco's weird little pop at the end of the dair (though it was really weird at first as I was expecting to spike my opponent, lol). I understand that nerfs make it less likely people will want to switch over though. I don't really like the Marvel method of balance (break all the things!), so I guess I'm happy with a small(!) nerf every now and then.

Thanks for the hard work to make this possible. It's really hard for me to go back to vMelee after having played this for a while, even if it is just by myself.
I hope you will be able to run SD Remix on the Datel SD Media Launcher. I believe there are stronger homebrew applications such as Swiss-GC that suit your needs better, but you'd need your Media Launcher to work correctly first.

1. We have not made any bug fixes to elements present in the original game. We just don't have the technical expertise to do that at the moment, and it's low-priority overall.

2. I won't argue about whether or not chain grabs are detrimental to the integrity of the game, but they are very much part of Melee's identity. Sheik's Down Throw will be reverted as any tweak to the NTSC standard greatly affects her match-ups with the top tiers, thereby unfairly subjugating her to a huge nerf in her punishment game (Ganondorf can chaingrab many characters to death as well, but we wouldn't dare touch him!). Not only that, but we do not believe the low tiers that fare terribly against Sheik fared much better overall without the chaingrab in place. There are other aspects of Sheik that shut down certain character archetypes in the Melee game system.

3. We don't see implementing nerfs in the foreseeable future. It's simply just not a part of our mission in this project.

Plus, we like to think that next time somebody sees something questionable happen in SD Remix, they will remember Marth Utilt'ing a spacie to death on Yoshi's Story, a Fox mirror match, or Falcon doing random hits into knee. There's a lot of questionable gameplay decisions in Melee, but I strongly believe many of us would not have it any other way. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom