• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scientist Claims Gravity is Nothing More than an Entropic Force

jugfingers

Smash Champion
an entropic cause of gravitational effects makes the universe seem much more alive and connected. if you think of entropy as a mechanical organism of complexification.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gravity doesn't seem like a radiation at all because it's an actual interaction between objects pulling towards each other.
Yes, but under this new idea (to my understanding) gravity wouldn't be a property of individual objects. It would exist on the systematic scale. Just as an analogy, conceptually, if heat transfer were email and astral bodies were computers, then gravity might be a property of the Internet that acts on individual computers.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I really like the idea of "Gravitons" though.

When I was younger they were the kinda thing I thought could exist that made the most sense.

I think of it like this, gravitons(if they exist) are more than likely extremely small and have little to no mass, this would allow them to creep in between every particle we know.

The larger the entity, the more gravitions it's going to have inbetween it's regular makeup thus giving it greater gravitational pull.

I'd also imagine that the tighter the gravitons are packed together, the stronger force they would exert, this would kinda explain as to how black holes have such incredible gravitational pull.

Maybe gravitons can even fuse with eachother under extreme conditions(like a stars birth or death or when a gamma-ray burst from a supernova hits them)

Then maybe they work in synergy....IDK.

I just love thinking theoretically/hypothetically.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
As I interpreted it, his understanding of string theory is the driving force
I read the article over and read some more about it and I realized I did misinterpret it, you're right :p.

The idea of gravitons is basically the same as photons in that they are mass-less force carrying particles, with the former simply representing gravity just as the latter does with electromagnetism.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Instead of commenting on journalistic crap, here's the actual paper from arXiv:

-- http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785 (pdf on the right)

It's pretty easy to read with an undergraduate level (up to a certain point) because his mathematical arguments aren't deep enough to be regarded as "proof". He came up with a sweet bunch of analogies between thermodynamics and what we normally see as mechanics though.

And please, change the title to something like "Scientist claim gravity is nothing more than an entropic force" or something. Illusion is just plain wrong.

EDIT: An interesting quote

These equations do not just come out by accident. It had to work, partly for
dimensional reasons, and also because the laws of Newton have been ingredients in the
steps that lead to black hole thermodynamics and the holographic principle. In a sense
we have reversed these arguments. But the logic is clearly dierent, and sheds new
light on the origin of gravity: it is an entropic force! That is the main statement, which
is new and has not been made before. If true, this should have profound consequences.

Top Bottom