• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

School is in Session 4: *Results!!* UPDATED!! January 8th, 2011!

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
one of the 13th places was blue rogue
So..so.. since he was in still after I lost. I only got top 13?... Gosh...

I mean, I lost to Ally and Atomsk, and then someone was like Yea you got 9th or tied for 9th with 3 others or something...

Gaaah...

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Well I did have fun. I would have liked to stay, but I was also visiting friends this weekend as well.

@TOs: I'm aware that this wasn't an easy tournament to run. You know what went wrong MUCH more than anyone who tells you otherwise (yes even myself). Plus you have already come up with a solution that works for you (making it a 2 day event).
BUT I think you gotta work on your crisis management a little better... what I mean is little steps to help focus on the bigger steps like....

LACK OF SETUPS -> MORE REFS!
This is one of the reasons why MLG runs more fluidly. If you can get the man power to babysit stations/matches, then your events can run more smoothly WHILE you are dealing with the bracket being ran, money distribution, seeding, etc.
My first few OUGA tournaments, I did not have the time to seed pools/brackets myself. I literally asked Overswarm and Lou do them. Be humble and know you are behind then take measures to try to catch up. You will be viewed as better TOs for knowing that you needed help, asked for it, and thus made the tournament better. Stick to your crew/state for this. Stick with the experienced TOs/seeders.

BEHIND IN TIME -> MORE STRICT RULES
Though..... with the amount of people who left... it probably didn't matter actually.... BUT DQing people is not a bad thing if they are delaying your event. If they want that cash prize, THEY need to stay and play and EARN IT. Players who depend on these tournaments for living expenses should be treating YOU like their BOSS, since you essentially "sign their paycheck". YOU get to treat them like an employee: if they **** up, fire their ***. (But be a little fair/nice about it so they come back... lolz)

Lack of manpower -> TOs and Assists drop out of events/friendlies/MMs
I really feel bad for Today at each of these she can't enter because of her duties. I learned this lesson at the last tourne I ran (which I thought was my worst one by far...) which I entered all 6 events I had. But something I do see a lot, is assistants playing friendlies while **** is hitting the fan. Save those till the end.

@Players:
TO = Tournament Organizer, not Tournament Babysitter.
Players who try for money: Play your matches. Don't take breaks longer than 5 minutes. Don't wonder the venue. Don't leave to get food, have someone order it. Know when/who you play next WITHOUT having the TO tell you. Don't steal setups for practicing match ups. DON'T LEAVE YOUR POOL STATIONS UNTIL ALL OF YOUR MATCHES ARE DONE! If you are bored, blitz through your matches as fast as the captains will allow THEN use that time to get food/rest.

Players who play to win/compete, but won't place in the money: Don't play the above players in friendlies/money matches until THEY are ELIMINATED/DQed. DON'T try to hog the setups during pools/early bracket UNTIL a TO says it's OK for friendlies/MMs.

Players who play for fun/watch: DON'T hog a setup for side events, unless a TO says it's OK. DO offer to bring back food for top players if you are getting food.

Players from the same city/friends of TO: Offer simple help like "going a food run", "getting them a drink", and "watching the money/bracket while the TOs uses the restroom".

I am guilty of some of these things as well. And I'll admit I didn't fully do my job as a pool captain due to me being upset with my performance. But a tournament DOES require everyone to treat the event as a tournament, and not just a glorified smashfest. Working together will make the event wrap up sooner, thus leaving more time for MMs/Friendlies/Side Events.

Sadly, I don't have as much time for real shoutouts so...

@Kass: Sorry for lack of Golden Axe.

@Kel/SC2 players: Sorry for lack of SC2 matches, there were no more outlets for my computer to charge.

@TOs: GJ with running this event given the circumstances. My only "big" complaint was the pool seeding, but I also haven't seen the rest of the pools as well. Then again, I'd rather see a "bad pool" than a "3 hour late pool" any day of the week. I also apologize for not keeping up with my pool's matches halfway through.

@Radium: Hopefully we can get our next friendlies in next time!

@OUGA: Always glad you can come to these! HOST ONE IN MARCH!!!!

@OoS: Sorry I couldn't meet you all, I was actually trying to stay focused for a change.

See yas all at the next one!

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
I have no clue. I just know that Atomsk had to use MK to advance 'cuz his MK is smexy.

Again, people who were there can feel free to update me with results/character usage and I'll do so. No biggie.

And when Day's ready to post full results with brackets her post will be replacing mine so as GIMR said this IS the results thread.
you specified this how many times?

Damn people get it together, stop complaining.

clowsui

Smash Legend
@Kiest I was given the go-ahead by Day and Hilt to go play and have fun, FYI

I would have protested but I was honestly completely out of energy at that time to do anything bracket related.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
@Clow: At that point of the tourne, there wasn't that much that can be done anyways. My statements were more general to "late running tournaments" as a whole. (Most of which were mistakes that I, Nope, AZ, ITT, and others have also committed and learned from.) You guys are getting a ton better at this, but just remember that EVERY TOURNAMENT can have better ways to run it, even if everyone had fun/was on schedule.

Radium88

Smash Lord

Long Island Wolf- GGs. I'm feeling that Wolf. Probably the best I had played that entire day. I wish my Sonic was as on point in the matches that were super important as it was against you.
You are probably talking about Pane/BigBadWolf. He was a cool guy and had a pretty good wolf and he was from Long Island. Lol

Well I did have fun. I would have liked to stay, but I was also visiting friends this weekend as well.

@TOs: I'm aware that this wasn't an easy tournament to run. You know what went wrong MUCH more than anyone who tells you otherwise (yes even myself). Plus you have already come up with a solution that works for you (making it a 2 day event).
BUT I think you gotta work on your crisis management a little better... what I mean is little steps to help focus on the bigger steps like....

LACK OF SETUPS -> MORE REFS!
This is one of the reasons why MLG runs more fluidly. If you can get the man power to babysit stations/matches, then your events can run more smoothly WHILE you are dealing with the bracket being ran, money distribution, seeding, etc.
My first few OUGA tournaments, I did not have the time to seed pools/brackets myself. I literally asked Overswarm and Lou do them. Be humble and know you are behind then take measures to try to catch up. You will be viewed as better TOs for knowing that you needed help, asked for it, and thus made the tournament better. Stick to your crew/state for this. Stick with the experienced TOs/seeders.

BEHIND IN TIME -> MORE STRICT RULES
Though..... with the amount of people who left... it probably didn't matter actually.... BUT DQing people is not a bad thing if they are delaying your event. If they want that cash prize, THEY need to stay and play and EARN IT. Players who depend on these tournaments for living expenses should be treating YOU like their BOSS, since you essentially "sign their paycheck". YOU get to treat them like an employee: if they **** up, fire their ***. (But be a little fair/nice about it so they come back... lolz)

Lack of manpower -> TOs and Assists drop out of events/friendlies/MMs
I really feel bad for Today at each of these she can't enter because of her duties. I learned this lesson at the last tourne I ran (which I thought was my worst one by far...) which I entered all 6 events I had. But something I do see a lot, is assistants playing friendlies while **** is hitting the fan. Save those till the end.
Yeah, for my first tournament I dropped out of pools and forfeited all my matches because I wanted to make sure things were going ok. TOs unfortunately have to make these kinds of sacrifices :(

@Players:
TO = Tournament Organizer, not Tournament Babysitter.
Players who try for money: Play your matches. Don't take breaks longer than 5 minutes. Don't wonder the venue. Don't leave to get food, have someone order it. Know when/who you play next WITHOUT having the TO tell you. Don't steal setups for practicing match ups. DON'T LEAVE YOUR POOL STATIONS UNTIL ALL OF YOUR MATCHES ARE DONE! If you are bored, blitz through your matches as fast as the captains will allow THEN use that time to get food/rest.

Players who play to win/compete, but won't place in the money: Don't play the above players in friendlies/money matches until THEY are ELIMINATED/DQed. DON'T try to hog the setups during pools/early bracket UNTIL a TO says it's OK for friendlies/MMs.

Players who play for fun/watch: DON'T hog a setup for side events, unless a TO says it's OK. DO offer to bring back food for top players if you are getting food.

Players from the same city/friends of TO: Offer simple help like "going a food run", "getting them a drink", and "watching the money/bracket while the TOs uses the restroom".

I am guilty of some of these things as well. And I'll admit I didn't fully do my job as a pool captain due to me being upset with my performance. But a tournament DOES require everyone to treat the event as a tournament, and not just a glorified smashfest. Working together will make the event wrap up sooner, thus leaving more time for MMs/Friendlies/Side Events.
All of what Kiest said: QFT

Also, yes, hope to get some friendlies in next time I see you.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Mondays are her busy days at school, so you all might be waiting for a bit before full results. It'll most likely be tonight, though I'm not the one to say.

D

Deleted member

This was run through TIO right? The bracket results are there as soon as the tourney is finished. At least post that for now, then pool cut-offs can come later if they're not ready.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
one of the worst run tournaments I've ever been to. I'm not coming to another one of these again

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I felt like I didn't really help enough... I'm sorry... I got my pool (7) to finish up quite quickly... But the rest? ... I tried helping a bit but I felt like I couldn't recognize people anyways. Gah... Such a big tournament!

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Thank you Kassandra and Kel for housing us. :)
This. Being able to get sleep before/after the tournament was a huge help for Yogehi, Umashi, and I. Even after that, they were both so tired that I had to drive most of the way home, so I doubt we would have made it without you guys. So thanks. :)

I'll do full shoutouts later, I just got home and I need to sleep more.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
What time did the tourney actually end up finishing at? I only got to watch an Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals and Grand Finals of doubles on the stream

TP

Smash Master
one of the worst run tournaments I've ever been to. I'm not coming to another one of these again
Agreed. I'll go into detail about the problems I experienced later when I have time. This has nothing to with what happened to me in pools, which was so unique I can't get mad about it not going my way. No reason to, since that situation will never occur again.

Arty

Smash Lord
Now I wanna know what hapened to TP in pools! Sorry for calling you Tmacc btw buddy, you guys have very similar names :)

This tournament was also a pretty bad experience for me. 90% of it however had to do with the fact that I got no sleep. I got like 1 hour of sleep because we left at 2 AM and I felt extremely tired throughout the whole day. I turned down a couple of people when they asked for friendlies in the late hours because I was extremely exhausted. Sorry guys, next time!

I was also really disappointed/ticked off at the Kingtoon set since we were told that the bracket was already messed up and we had to play it out, but then we're stopped game 3 when I have a huge lead :( That really took whatever energy I had left right out of me.

I'd definitely go back to Ohio however. Today is a great TO and some of the stuff, like the lack of setups, was very unexpected. Lookin forward to the next SiiS. This time we're gettin a hotel beforehand!!

I'll do some shoutouts later on.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Really Ripple? There are plenty of tournaments that have the same types of issues with time, and yes pools weren't exactly seeded to top notch standards; but as Kiest said "I'd rather have a bad pool than a 3 hour late pool any day". The TOs also haven't exactly been doing this forever (especially an event of this size, it was their second one) but still managed to host a fairly enjoyable event despite its flaws. I have faith that they'll learn and improve upon their mistakes to run an even better event next time.

I'll be coming to the next one for sure, Day and co. If you need seeding assistance or anything, I'll be glad to help since I keep up with a majority of the community's activities and accomplishments like a hawk. :)

I'd definitely go back to Ohio however. Today is a great TO and some of the stuff, like the lack of setups, was very unexpected. Lookin forward to the next SiiS. This time we're gettin a hotel beforehand!!
Thank you, Arty. I'm glad you're willing to forgive and give it another chance. The hotel idea helps the experience, believe me. xD

What's The Point

Smash Master
Now I wanna know what hapened to TP in pools! Sorry for calling you Tmacc btw buddy, you guys have very similar names :)
Krys was first seed, but after that it was a 3 way tie in terms of Set wins between TP, Future, and KB. KB had the best Wins-Losses, then Future, then TP. However, TP beat both Future and KB, so it could be argued he'd win in a head to head between the two. It was decided that the Wins-Losses ruled over the head to head scenario.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Which makes the most sense to me in this case. I only ever believe that a head to head should be considered in determining a state's Power Ranking or something similar to that (something more long term, basically), not a here-and-now pools scenario. The best short term consistency (aka match wins-losses if there is a tied set count) should be what is rewarded. Me and TP established that there were no hard feelings or anything and he was cool about it which was awesome, I just had to stick to my beliefs on this one.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
KB the hawk:

Whether or not head-to-head counts over wins over losses, is all determined in the OP.
Smashfield and myself (maybe AZ?) place head to head over wins - losses while other areas do the other way around.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Head to head should count, in that situation

Usually a 3 way tie results in the 3 people going in a triangle of victories, but every so often you have that situation

At Pound, it will be Sets, then head to head, then win/loss ratio.

So in that situation, The seeding would've been Krys, then TP, then KB. That's how it will go at Pound.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
>_> Deciding whether one shining moment pertaining to me outweighs how this tournament ran...

I'll wait til full results.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I'll post full shout outs with full results.

I performed very badly at this, at least in pools. Although I beat people who got out (Tutu)/came super close to another who got out in both games (Hilt...ffffffffffff you Trevor for yelling "inhale" at me and making me sd :))/played well against Atomsk's Falco (IMO), I still lost in other sets where I had the lead or made a huge mistake or just played bad. I feel the seeding for a few pools was really bad (me TKO smash 64 and Tutu all could have been a third seed) and Legan and Clow both had stacked pools, too. Other pools seemed to be heavily lacking 2 and 3 seeds IMO. Just bothered me a bit, but it happens, so I won't complain about it too much. I know it's really hard to seed perfectly.

I hated being on the live stream tv for pools. I had never been, and it made me nervous with it being right by the commentary table where I could hear everything being said, good or bad. As I lacked experience on a stream/hearing all that, it did distract me, and I couldn't block it out. I tried earphones, but that distracted me more, so I took them out. It's my fault this happened, I know some pool needed to be on the stream; I was just so unready/used to it, that's all. I got kind of used to it by my last two sets (Tutu and Hilt) and played really well. Wish I could say the same for mine with TKO/Smash. Either way, GGs to everyone in my pool :)

GGs/MMs to everyone I played, I performed well in everything except a few sets of pools (which caused me to not get out...) and I learned a lot. Came out way positive on MMs too. Nice seeing everyone, again, and full shoutouts later.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Augh, I'm so free to the top players (and dedede)...

I need to step it up!

Ggs to Akashi, Capem, Ally, Atomsk, TP, King Beef, WTP, Xyless, Future, and Jokem (sp?) whom I played in bracket/pools, respectively! They were all fun.

Ggs to Kain (5$! Ka-ching!) and Hades (5$! Ka-ching!)! Thanks for helping me buy my midnight cappucino and pizza, lol. I woulda starved/died of thirst/and slept on the way home with Jayford driving if it weren't for you guys !

To the rest of the players I friendlied (Hael Phael, Xero, Blue Rogue, Judo, ...KYLE??? I think? The Olimar/MK player?... I can't remember... I think that's it...), it was really fun! And Hael I will beat you in your shenanigans next time!

To everyone else... IT WAS GREAT SEEING YOU ALL!

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Pool 6 Results:
1st: Shugo Falco MK
2nd: Sago MK
3rd: Mister Eric ROB
4th: DLA Gannon MK ICs
5th: TYR Lucas
6th: 4bidden Fox
7th: TheKiest D3 MK Kirby

... Right when Hilt posts saying he has those already.... lolz

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I'm soooo salty... The one time I would have had the opportunity to play against Ally my personal plans forbid me... Curse my luck... Dang it...Ahh well I still got 9th.... I'll do some shoutouts when all the results go up and stuff

Top Bottom