• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

School Club Advice

TotallyToasted

Smash Rookie
Hello! I recently started a Smash Club at my school, and we've been going strong thus far, but I wanted to increase the size of our club. We just got ahold of a larger venue, and our meetings typically attract anywhere between 15-30 people, with tournaments having reached at most 18 people who attend.

I was thinking about hosting a SmashFest event, where we basically make it a completely free event for everyone at our school to be invited to join our community to play Smash Bros. We'd provide all the equipment and controllers, given that some participants bring their own gear as well. I think it'd be a great way to raise our recognition for our club, as well as give us a boost in representation.

I was also thinking of doing a Smash Bros In Random Places campaign, where a couple other club leaders and I would set up Smash 4 or Melee in a random place at school during lunch to attract attention for our organization. We'd invite random people to come play the game with us, and have some spectators as well.

Any thoughts or advice about what I could do to help my group to grow? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
I really like the initiative to promote the game in your school!
As an advise I'd say to try to be aware of the equipment / controllers, there'll surely be a lot of people and one might want to steal a controller while nobody is watching.
Other than that... Good luck!

Last edited:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Pretty good ideas here, like the post above said, watch your stuff mainly, but also make sure you're open to tell them where to look to git gud if they ask, in the end it's up to them to join or level up themselves, but I think your plan should work for the most part, as well as you execute it well.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Well, you could ask your school to advertise tournaments and events on the school announcements, if your school has them.

You could also maybe give lessons to others so that they don't rage quit.

Maybe start an SSF2 branch of your Smash Club if you have the resources. The Smash Club that I go to, and will probably run next year, is in a Computer Lab which will give access to other smash fangames and emulators. Also, we try to have weekly meetings where we play 8 player smash.

Also, crown someone king, give people reason to go to tournaments, to beat the best, so they can be the best, then have them defend it. I'll give you an example form my school Smash Club. There is this student named Armondi and the club has been over-exaggerated in his greatness in the club so everyone tries to come to the tournament and beat him. Not only do you get bragging rights if you beat him, you also get noticed as a good player. Everyone tries to beat him in tournament play, as mentioned earlier, but so far this year only 2 people have beaten him in a tournament set, me and Jonas.

Also, try to have a salty guy, I don't mean an annoying guy, I am talking about a guy that blows up when something happens. There is this student in my school named Wes and he gets mad when something jank happens, depending on the situation it could be funny or scary. I personally think I am a great fit for him because I am the school's edge guarder. An example of that great pairing is at my lunch where I usually get the teachers Wii U out and play Smash with him and usually make him rage quit a couple of times. Also, in a tournament where I played against Wes, I was playing Kirby, he was playing Fox, I edge guarded him, he got salty and, created an event dubbed The Kirby Incident.

An example of an annoying guy is that one person who never shuts up and talks about how great he is even though he hasn't beaten the king in a tournament set, they are also easily read as clarified as my Roy doing a Fthrow him countering one time, me doing the same thing reading the Counter then give him the Texan Roy treatment. I like to call that guy Cole. If you have a Cole ban him right away, it is rare to find anyone who actually likes him.

I will tell you the differences between a "prince's" Roy, me, and the annoying guy's Roy, Cole. I only use the counter in dire situations to punish over extensions, Cole uses counter a lot and is easy to predict. I have the ability to read, combo, adapt, space, punish, and edge guard on a basic level, Cole is a c-stick warrior. I almost NEVER roll, Cole rolls all the time. I use the Classic Pro controller, Cole uses the 3DS. As you can see our Roys have a pretty big difference.

A little off the wall but I am feeling generous so I will tell you about all the "guys" in my club.
The King: Armondi
The Princes: Me/Jonas
The Salty: Wes
The Annoying guy: Cole
The Technical guy: Jonas / this guy uses Bidou
The Edge Guarder: Me
The Low Tier God: Me, again / I play Roy, B.J. Roy, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Bowser, and Falco. I also play Mario from time to time.
The Combo Video: Me, sometimes
The Bayonetta: Hunter
The Casuals: Close to everyone else who isn't listed down below.
The Competitive guys: Me, Jonas, and Armondi

Well, that is all I have for now if I have anything else I will be sure to make an update.

Last edited:
Top Bottom