• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Sceptile's MUs

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Braixen gave me trouble too... But I think I have it figured out. It's still hard, but if you play them right it's definitely doable. Key thing to note though, be patient. Use your moves with a purpose at the right time or you're gonna eat a bunch of fireballs and be in for a world of pain.

Field Phase

They're gonna spam Y... A LOT. From a distance, side step if you have the room to dodge and move forward slightly. Once you start getting closer, you're gonna want to start using Detect into Swinging Motion (Hold Back+A). Do it JUST as the fireballs are about to hit you, to ensure you soak up the fireballs and swing over the last projectile that comes after the initial 3 fireball burst. At the end of the swing throw out an Aerial A, or X if they're in the middle of a move and you think you can land on them. Don't bother with Aerial Y, if you get hit or block and attack it'll disappear, setup traps around her instead. If you need a little bit more air time if you mis-timed it, hold R/Block to use hanging motion, you can use any aerial attack out of that move, so if you think you can catch her with an Aerial X, go for it.

If you see Braixen use Fire Blast (It starts as a medium sized ball, then after a few feet it'll turn into a large symbol that is HUGE), counter through that or block it. Don't try to go for swinging motion as the chances are you'll get it. It possible to just about go over it, but don't risk it, or you'll lose any space you made on them.

Once you get close, keep the pressure on, if Braixen throws their wand out, you should be able to use X/homing attacks to hit her as it takes some time for Braixen to recover from it. If not, you're gonna want to go for a grab or Counter an attack to enter Duel Phase, you want to keep her out of field mode as long as possible.

Duel Phase

This is where things get a little bit fairer. Braixen is MUCH better in Field than they are in Duel. You'll see similar shenanigans from Braixen, but you gain more tools to deal with her and she can't escape all your ground traps.

The first thing you want to do is A,A followed by Aerial A, whichever order you see fit in the situation, get those traps out. Next thing you want to do is swing in (Hold Back+A) and close the gap, and absorb any projectiles Braixen might have thrown out with Detect. If Braixen is hit by A,A, if you throw the swinging motion out straight after, you can combo it into Aerial X out of the swinging motion if you're at the right range, doing some nice damage. Got them on the ground? A,A right ontop/infront of them, keep the pressure on, dash in (Don't be afraid, you can block to cancel your dash and I'm pretty sure you can counter too. I'm tired, just go test it and you'll see, but it's reasonably safe). At this point you'll want to start mixing things up depending on how they react, they're up s**t creek without a paddle at this point.

Are they doing counter attack on wakeup alot? Grab them. Otherwise keep attacking, she's got no close combat tools which will beat yours. I try to time Up+X just as they get up, you can combo that into Up+Y (Def Debuff), X, Up+A. This combo hits for a fair chunk and puts a debuff on them (I'm patenting this combo, I came up with it myself and I love it. <3). Low on health? Go for XX (Leaf Blade), Down+A (Giga Drain). If this combo doesn't initiate field change (It can, but won't the first time, so it depends on how much you've hit them), then do A,A to lay down traps right ontop of them again to keep the pressure on.

If by chance you do get knocked away and there's space between you, Detect>Swinging Motion and Counter Attack Dash Cancel are your best friends. Walk straight at them, if you see her throwing her YYYY combo (Small fireballs followed by one last projectile), Detect>Swinging Motion to soak up the fireballs then swing over the last projectile, you can throw Aerial A out of this if you see an opening to keep on pressure. If you see Fire Blast coming out, Counter Attack it at the last minute then dash forward out of it. Don't use Swinging Motion because otherwise you're gonna place you're right into it's path.

I was pulling my hair out with Braixen until I figured out how to get around their attacks. Same with Suicune and other zoners. You basically have to soak up projectiles with Detect, cover distance by swinging, then keep the pressure on once you get close. Then when it switches to Duel you do the same but lay down a load of traps and use Counter Attack Dash Cancel aswell. Hope this helps you out.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Man I've never noticed anything troubling at all with Braixen, the computer just seems to really suck with her.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Man I've never noticed anything troubling at all with Braixen, the computer just seems to really suck with her.
Go against people online, you'll see what we mean. XD

Online is full of people who just seem to use either Braixen, Suicune, Pikachu, Mewtwo or Lucario, because they're basically the best/easiest to use. They do silly damage or just spam projectiles, or are super user friendly. Sceptile is more difficult to use, so he's sadly not getting much love, so I'm doing my best to try and find out as much as I can about him and shine some light on the poor guy.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Braixen gave me trouble too... But I think I have it figured out. It's still hard, but if you play them right it's definitely doable. Key thing to note though, be patient. Use your moves with a purpose at the right time or you're gonna eat a bunch of fireballs and be in for a world of pain.

Field Phase

They're gonna spam Y... A LOT. From a distance, side step if you have the room to dodge and move forward slightly. Once you start getting closer, you're gonna want to start using Detect into Swinging Motion (Hold Back+A). Do it JUST as the fireballs are about to hit you, to ensure you soak up the fireballs and swing over the last projectile that comes after the initial 3 fireball burst. At the end of the swing throw out an Aerial A, or X if they're in the middle of a move and you think you can land on them. Don't bother with Aerial Y, if you get hit or block and attack it'll disappear, setup traps around her instead. If you need a little bit more air time if you mis-timed it, hold R/Block to use hanging motion, you can use any aerial attack out of that move, so if you think you can catch her with an Aerial X, go for it.

If you see Braixen use Fire Blast (It starts as a medium sized ball, then after a few feet it'll turn into a large symbol that is HUGE), counter through that or block it. Don't try to go for swinging motion as the chances are you'll get it. It possible to just about go over it, but don't risk it, or you'll lose any space you made on them.

Once you get close, keep the pressure on, if Braixen throws their wand out, you should be able to use X/homing attacks to hit her as it takes some time for Braixen to recover from it. If not, you're gonna want to go for a grab or Counter an attack to enter Duel Phase, you want to keep her out of field mode as long as possible.

Duel Phase

This is where things get a little bit fairer. Braixen is MUCH better in Field than they are in Duel. You'll see similar shenanigans from Braixen, but you gain more tools to deal with her and she can't escape all your ground traps.

The first thing you want to do is A,A followed by Aerial A, whichever order you see fit in the situation, get those traps out. Next thing you want to do is swing in (Hold Back+A) and close the gap, and absorb any projectiles Braixen might have thrown out with Detect. If Braixen is hit by A,A, if you throw the swinging motion out straight after, you can combo it into Aerial X out of the swinging motion if you're at the right range, doing some nice damage. Got them on the ground? A,A right ontop/infront of them, keep the pressure on, dash in (Don't be afraid, you can block to cancel your dash and I'm pretty sure you can counter too. I'm tired, just go test it and you'll see, but it's reasonably safe). At this point you'll want to start mixing things up depending on how they react, they're up s**t creek without a paddle at this point.

Are they doing counter attack on wakeup alot? Grab them. Otherwise keep attacking, she's got no close combat tools which will beat yours. I try to time Up+X just as they get up, you can combo that into Up+Y (Def Debuff), X, Up+A. This combo hits for a fair chunk and puts a debuff on them (I'm patenting this combo, I came up with it myself and I love it. <3). Low on health? Go for XX (Leaf Blade), Down+A (Giga Drain). If this combo doesn't initiate field change (It can, but won't the first time, so it depends on how much you've hit them), then do A,A to lay down traps right ontop of them again to keep the pressure on.

If by chance you do get knocked away and there's space between you, Detect>Swinging Motion and Counter Attack Dash Cancel are your best friends. Walk straight at them, if you see her throwing her YYYY combo (Small fireballs followed by one last projectile), Detect>Swinging Motion to soak up the fireballs then swing over the last projectile, you can throw Aerial A out of this if you see an opening to keep on pressure. If you see Fire Blast coming out, Counter Attack it at the last minute then dash forward out of it. Don't use Swinging Motion because otherwise you're gonna place you're right into it's path.

I was pulling my hair out with Braixen until I figured out how to get around their attacks. Same with Suicune and other zoners. You basically have to soak up projectiles with Detect, cover distance by swinging, then keep the pressure on once you get close. Then when it switches to Duel you do the same but lay down a load of traps and use Counter Attack Dash Cancel aswell. Hope this helps you out.
The problem comes when you come across zoners who are flexible and can change up their pattern and do different things.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Go against people online, you'll see what we mean. XD

Online is full of people who just seem to use either Braixen, Suicune, Pikachu, Mewtwo or Lucario, because they're basically the best/easiest to use. They do silly damage or just spam projectiles, or are super user friendly. Sceptile is more difficult to use, so he's sadly not getting much love, so I'm doing my best to try and find out as much as I can about him and shine some light on the poor guy.
I see more Weaviles than any other character you listed, Chandelure in second. And a lot of them also run Cresselia/Reshiram support.

Anyway, I'd personally save the Detect approach until you get reasonably close (like just outside Leaf Blade range), because doing it further than that mainly just leaves your landing open to be pressured by more projectiles.

Last edited:

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I see more Weaviles than any other character you listed, Chandelure in second. And a lot of them also run Cresselia/Reshiram support.

Anyway, I'd personally save the Detect approach until you get reasonably close (like just outside Leaf Blade range), because doing it further than that mainly just leaves your landing open to be pressured by more projectiles.

Oh yeah, Weavile is up there too. Alot of them run Reshiram because OOO BIG SHINY LAZER BEAM! But besides, I was talking mostly about Characters that give Sceptile problems. Weavile can't really spam projectiles like those mentioned can.

And yeah, in field phase that's true, which is why I said "Once you start getting closer, you're gonna want to start using Detect into Swinging Motion (Hold Back+A)". In Duel Phase, opponents have alot less room to move around in and there will be an abundancy of traps as they can't get away by running around.

Also, I did address how to get closer during Duel Phase in the last paragraph of the Duel Phase section.

"If by chance you do get knocked away and there's space between you, Detect>Swinging Motion and Counter Attack Dash Cancel are your best friends. Walk straight at them, if you see her throwing her YYYY combo (Small fireballs followed by one last projectile), Detect>Swinging Motion to soak up the fireballs then swing over the last projectile, you can throw Aerial A out of this if you see an opening to keep on pressure. If you see Fire Blast coming out, Counter Attack it at the last minute then dash forward out of it. Don't use Swinging Motion because otherwise you're gonna place you're right into it's path."

Talking about Braixen in particular, I've found this the best way to get in on her, because once you're in her face she's gonna start having problems keeping you off her. Other characters you might have to change around a bit... I'm look at you Chandelure, with your full screen beams, stupidly long grabs and anti air fireballs... I'm labbing you next, you squeeky lamp...

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Do you guys think Sceptile has the potential to be a great character?
We have enough Long ranged pokes to cover the low, mid, and high zones (Low Y, Forward A, and X) and we have multiple moves to recover health (Down A, B A, High Stance, Synergy, something else I'm forgetting) and we have good pressure strings (kinda anything ending in bullet seeds and B A, also anything starting with Up X, and X). We got good damaging combos as well, especially if we've attacked with Up Y or Back A.

Don't forget wall combos, which I know is hardly worked on.

Last edited:

Banjo8152

Smash Rookie
I also think that he is a strong character due to traps and other interesting setups, however nearly every player I've talked to puts him at bottom three in the game.

Top Bottom