• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
simple cost/benefit analysis:

say you think you can regrab 80% of the time on reaction
say on the other hand that you think you can stomp 50% of the time on a combination of reaction and prediction.

constant regrabbing gives like, I dunno, let's say 8% per dthrow (too lazy to look it up).
stomp combos into knee, which, ignoring the fact that it will just kill people a lot of the time, does like, I dunno, let's say 32%.

so like, you'd need to hit 4 consecutive grabs to be equivalent to a stomp (hypothetical, but w/e, I think it's pretty close to reality).

chance of hitting 4 re-grabs in a row = .8 * .8 * .8 * .8 = ~41%
chance of hitting a stomp = .5 = 50%

so like, stomping's better with these made up numbers, but I'm sure if you were to extend it to a more advanced model, you'd see an even bigger disparity between stomping and re-grabbing all the time.

GOD!

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say regrab chance is 80%.. I played falcon in like one match and dthrow >regrabbed another falcon 3x in a row without knowing what I was doing. But you guys should know more than me so... alright. And it would only be up until about 70% where you can uthrow knee, right? So if you grab at 30-40, you only need a few more before you can uthrow for the kill.

And I thought isai mained fox now.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
you cant uthrow knee away DI until like 130% or something really really dumb

isai doesnt main anybody and hasnt for several years, including the last year or so that he played as far as i could tell

regrabbing if they tech to either side is really easy, but regrabbing tech in place is really hard and regrabbing a missed tech is impossible. predicting a tech near the edge and kneeing it is a stock, pretty much regardless of %. thats tough to pass up, especially with all the teching in place near the ledge going on these days

GOD!

Smash Ace
alright thanks, it's nice to know the match up from the falcon's perspective.
But seriously guys, please pick up some secondaries.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
learn to fox trot, and pay very close attention to people's teching habits. Like where they like to tech. Away, towards, in place, and also how they react after you've figured out a tech pattern.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
lol its funny people talkin about the upthrow chaingrab cause i just watched a match where KDJ CG'ed upthrows with falcon in dittoes on some guy.

also, tempest, i didnt watch alot, but it looks like you know everything you need to know, just need to keep playing more and more people.

Oh and get rid of that Fox sig.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
come to think of it, i've never seen Darkrain or SS play any other characters besides falcon. I wonder what they're like.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
darkrain has a pocket fox, he busted it out vs Wobbles in GF of a south tourney, Im going to bed or Id link it to you. Oh and Darkrain's DK beat Chop's falco is some friendlies, i dont remember when the video was uploaded, couldve been this year, or couldve been 3 years ago, I just cant remember.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
lol its funny people talkin about the upthrow chaingrab cause i just watched a match where KDJ CG'ed upthrows with falcon in dittoes on some guy.

also, tempest, i didnt watch alot, but it looks like you know everything you need to know, just need to keep playing more and more people.

Oh and get rid of that Fox sig.
dang i was hoping there was some big hole in my play that i wasn't seeing... guess i just suck :laugh: i'll keep practicing though.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
you know, some falcon mains may just not switch because they enjoy playing falcon? I never switch because i enjoy playing falcon so much, it has nothing to do with wanting to win.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
darkrain has a pocket fox, he busted it out vs Wobbles in GF of a south tourney, Im going to bed or Id link it to you. Oh and Darkrain's DK beat Chop's falco is some friendlies, i dont remember when the video was uploaded, couldve been this year, or couldve been 3 years ago, I just cant remember.
It was at TO3 but its funny cause he 2-0d chops with DK but got tore up with Falcon xD

Also you can wiggle then jumpn or mash out an aerial at an unusually low % from Falcons Upthrow, why would anybody get chainthrown by that lol

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
If you guys haven't figured out this out yet, pros can play all top/high tier chars very effectively, they just play the ones they like best, or cuz they like a certain matchup.

stupid noobs

GOD!

Smash Ace
If you guys haven't figured out this out yet, pros can play all top/high tier chars very effectively, they just play the ones they like best, or cuz they like a certain matchup.

stupid noobs
lol... speaking of this, vidjo busting out a fox vs dope when the match up went to rainbow cruise was an example of why you're wrong. Of course they can play them well, but they don't know the match-ups or abilities of their non-mains as well.
They don't have the match-up experience so they don't do as well. No one was saying they weren't effective, but SS wouldn't place as well as he does if he used roy.

Alukard

Smash Hero
lol... speaking of this, vidjo busting out a fox vs dope when the match up went to rainbow cruise was an example of why you're wrong. Of course they can play them well, but they don't know the match-ups or abilities of their non-mains as well.
They don't have the match-up experience so they don't do as well. No one was saying they weren't effective, but SS wouldn't place as well as he does if he used roy.
imagine he has a beast *** roy LOLOL

DippnDots

Feral Youth
gentleman q, for the tap a tap a hold a method, you need to hit them right. Does that include their shield or does it have to actually hit THEM?

D

Deleted member

gentleman q, for the tap a tap a hold a method, you need to hit them right. Does that include their shield or does it have to actually hit THEM?
as long as your first jab connects on something hold a method works

if you don't hit with the first jab i suggest switching to the timing method where you evenly space all 3

Magus420

Smash Master
If you don't hit anything you should also do the hold A method, but you do need to slow down the timing a bit to make up for not having the added hitlag. Holding A (or Z which also acts as an A input) on the 3rd hit until after you IASA out of the jab sequence will always be beneficial since rapid punches are triggered by comparing your total A input duration vs total time. The reason holding the 3rd input helps is because each A input duration is only determined on release, so if you never actually release the 3rd A input and IASA while still holding it that 3rd one doesn't get included in the total at all.

Gentlemans are made easier by keeping your total A input duration low (releasing the A button faster when doing the 1st and 2nd punches and holding the 3rd input to omit it), and your total time high (spacing one or more of the punches farther apart and hitting something which adds hitlag to the total time). As the total A input becomes shorter and/or more hitlag is added, the time between punches can be shorter while still getting the gentleman. When the total A input becomes longer and/or less or no hitlag is added you will need to space the punches out more.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
probably wc. in cali, my family pays on average 400 more than my family on ec.. and they have a bigger house haha

Top Bottom