• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Weekly Character Discussion: Jigglypuff

Popertop

Smash Champion
shieldpush combos are legit

jiggz has a great gimp game it's all about predicting when they will jump/airdodge
be sure to mix in footstools

jiggz is great in teams

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
shieldpush combos are legit

jiggz has a great gimp game it's all about predicting when they will jump/airdodge
be sure to mix in footstools

jiggz is great in teams
Foot stools are useful, but the problem is unless you plan on a footstool, you're throwing your hurtbox out. Awhile ago people started noticing the foot stool combos Jigglypuff could do, due to her multiple jumps. After awhile we realized most of the combos were unpractical.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Jiggs is pretty good.

A good set of killing moves makes up for its weight. Second best air speed and high traction gives it good approach, but that's let down by being the floatiest and slowest charcter in the game. Camping is Jiggs' speciality, and has a slight disadvantage against MK as she can rest in his tornado!

Priority is something people don't expect in Jiggly. Pound has very high priority and Rollout has good priority (not as high as Pound though). It can DACUS which is good for approach and very good comboes lie in within it. Its weight makes it very hard to combo, and can recover easily

However, Her range is very poor, Shield Jumping is a huge flaw to her, easiet to KO, missing with rest leaves her a sitting duck, and has a very bad ground game, and this leads to bad match-ups.

If I'd give it a tier lacement: 33 to 25 would be my choice, but because the back room do it, I don't really have a share. Overall, Jiggs is a decent character.

Reasons

Smash Rookie
I remember seeing in a video where Jiggs used Sing on a platform and an Ike on the ground went for a running up smash, but fell asleep instead. Is it just because Ike is kinda tall or is it because Sing has a huge hitbox below?

Metatitan

Smash Master
I remember seeing in a video where Jiggs used Sing on a platform and an Ike on the ground went for a running up smash, but fell asleep instead. Is it just because Ike is kinda tall or is it because Sing has a huge hitbox below?
It was on the third wave so the hitbox was monstrously huge. The ike was stupid enough to run under it.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Jiggs is pretty good.

A good set of killing moves makes up for its weight. Second best air speed and high traction gives it good approach, but that's let down by being the floatiest and slowest charcter in the game. Camping is Jiggs' speciality, and has a slight disadvantage against MK as she can rest in his tornado!

Priority is something people don't expect in Jiggly. Pound has very high priority and Rollout has good priority (not as high as Pound though). It can DACUS which is good for approach and very good comboes lie in within it. Its weight makes it very hard to combo, and can recover easily

However, Her range is very poor, Shield Jumping is a huge flaw to her, easiet to KO, missing with rest leaves her a sitting duck, and has a very bad ground game, and this leads to bad match-ups.

If I'd give it a tier lacement: 33 to 25 would be my choice, but because the back room do it, I don't really have a share. Overall, Jiggs is a decent character.
I agree with most of what you said, but I disagree that Shield Jumping is a huge flaw. Realistically, how often are you going to break your shield anyway? It refreshes so quickly and there's so little shieldstun, it's very rare for that to happen if you don't intend it too.

At the end of the day, Jigglypuff will never be a great character in Brawl, but she's not garbage like some people say she is. Yes, her ground game sucks bar her DACUS and arguably her grabs, but then IMO her air game makes up for that. That's how Nintendo designed her to play: in the air. Why else would they make her have moon gravity and super fast air speed?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Yes, her ground game sucks bar her DACUS and arguably her grabs, but then IMO her air game makes up for that.
All of her grabs put the opponent in a bad position: THE AIR. Her grabs also ALL do 10 damage, so you don't have to worry about stale grabs. Her grab attack also does a whopping 3 damage per attack, which helps to unstale her moves. Her grab range is massive; even more so using pivot grabs.

Point is, she has a GREAT grab game.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Jigglypuff has a pretty good ground game, I'd rate it 8/10 on average.

This is because the I rate forward-roll-to-grab at 8/10, and that is the only move in her ground game. (Besides its cousin from KOpolis, dash attack and his crazy uncle DACUS...)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
All of her grabs put the opponent in a bad position: THE AIR. Her grabs also ALL do 10 damage, so you don't have to worry about stale grabs. Her grab attack also does a whopping 3 damage per attack, which helps to unstale her moves. Her grab range is massive; even more so using pivot grabs.

Point is, she has a GREAT grab game.
When you say it like that, I can see what you mean. Her grab range is pretty good, and it has surprise factor because it extends far past where her arms go. The only real flaw with her grab game is that none of them properly combo into anything. Still, as you mentioned, the fact that they all get her opponent into the air alone is enough to make it at least decent.

Unfortunately, her ground game is still pretty lame bar her grabs and DACUS.

artifact

Smash Cadet
Hi all, im new to the forums but ive been lurking on these boards for quite some time. I must say im getting pretty tired of people talking about how garbage Jiggs is. I recently picked her as my main and im really astonished. Before i played as her i saw the tier list and read all the boards about her and everyone said she sucked but now that im playing with her i honestly believe she is a mid tier character. Yes her ground game and her DACUS doesnt help that much either. However, her grabs and air game really work well together. The key is keeping her fair fresh and with how strong her pummel and grab game is it really works well together in my opinion

DemonFart

Smash Lord
Keeping her fair fresh is hard in some matchups like vs D3 and MK and it's her main aerial kill move. Jigglypuff also dies at 10% or 20% with great DI. While she does have a great airgame it isn't enough to make her go from bottom tier to midtier. It's true that she isn't as terrible as we make her out to be but she isn't far from being a simply bad character. She just feels unfinished and shallow.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
I did not think you would take that seriously.

IT'S AN EXAGGERATION! The point is she dies early.

artifact

Smash Cadet
I did not think you would take that seriously.

IT'S AN EXAGGERATION! The point is dies early.
My appologies, but yes i know what you mean. A sweet spotted hit from D3 can take Jiggs out pretty early in a match. I just feel that if there were more people trying to improve her metagame she would be a mid tier character. She is decent against meta knight, her air speed is the best in the game and she has the most jumps, but i understand that it takes more than that to be considered mid tier. I just think she is being cheaped out from all the hype and players dont even want to try and develop her due to her bad rep.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
There were a group of people that dedicated themselves to helping Jigglypuff as much as they could, they've moved on now. I agree that we just don't seem to care much anymore but it seems there isn't a lot left to find.

artifact

Smash Cadet
Yes, ive heard about them. What do you think Jiggs machup odds are against MK? Am i pushing it saying 45:55? Also, do you think the tier list would change if there was no DACUS in SSBB?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you want to get better with Jiggs you have to understand why she's such a terrible character. That's the bottom line.

45:55 against MK is absurd. If a character with considerably more aerial mobility, kill power, weight, and quick attacks can't even reach 45:55, how do you think Jiggs would?

DemonFart

Smash Lord
I'm one of the Jigglypuff players that don't think the MK matchup is even or close to even. It's a pain in the *** fighting MK, his sword creates such trouble and he has an actual ground game which he destroys us in. He has an inferior air speed but attacks super duper fast. We have to use our fair quite a bit just to keep him back which means that killing isn't going to happen often. I'm not going to throw out a ratio since I just don't feel like it. I'm expecting to hear a "lrn2matchup lul 50:50". As much as people would like to hear it's an even matchup, it just isn't.

DanGR got this.

artifact

Smash Cadet
If you want to get better with Jiggs you have to understand why she's such a terrible character. That's the bottom line.

45:55 against MK is absurd. If a character with considerably more aerial mobility, kill power, weight, and quick attacks can't even reach 45:55, how do you think Jiggs would?
yea i suppose, it just kills me that we have to accept that MK is broken as hell. Jiggs was designed to be the ultimate mid-air brawler yet MK can out do her in almost every aerial category. her only chance is abusing pound and its extremely high priority and using the extra jumps she has over MK. As far as match ups go and how the metagame is evolving towards countering MK, i feel confident in a 40:60 Jiggs to MK. I think Jiggs has the potential to be the best matchup against MK(this is my opionion, no flaming please)

DemonFart

Smash Lord
Wrong, if the MK players controller is unplugged then it's 100:0 our favor.
Then he punches you in the face and it's 0:100 his favor.

artifact

Smash Cadet
lol so MK is just super broken? i dont understand what they were thinking when they made MK....lets make a guy that can completely outclass everybody in every category.......

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
-they had items on when they did character testing.
sakurai-"his final smash needs work"
iwata-"no its fine just give him better specials. how bout a super tornado move! :D"
sakurai-"still the landmasters seem to outclass him."
iwata-"hah just give him endless recovery options! *laughs*"
sakurai-"U MUST RECOVER! *laughs*"

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Jigglypuff's rest attack is unsurpassed!

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
jiggs is really underrated, but this can work to the puff's advantage...hopefully.

Top Bottom