• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Weekly Character Discussion: Jigglypuff

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Certainly an underrated competitor, Jiggles can be a force to be reckoned with... if you fight someone that knows how to use her. She can kill MK at 60 and has a camping game that can keep up with even some of the top tier characters (although not many players have used that style yet). What do you guys think about the only puffball not near the top of the tier list?

Also, I don't have the time to write a good hint for Jiggles right now. If any SBR member can write a hint (the only other characters to do are Ness/Lucas btw) then I will be extremely grateful, and you will definitely get credit for it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
At a random character tournament on saturday I got jigs twice. Once against a GW and once against a MK. I won both >_>.

Jigs is amazing. (Not really lol)

D

Deleted member

Jigglypuff is

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

GET AT ME *****!!!!!!!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
She has problems with characters that use swords.

I might be wrong about Ike. And Ganondorf, but that's getting really nitpicky.

Sliq

Smash Master
I read a quote from somebody that said something like, "In Brawl, every character plays like Jigglypuff, but Jigglypuff plays like 'jump around and wait to lose.'"

I'm going with that.

D

Deleted member

g-reg had no problem beating me jigglypuff vs ike. ike has no attack that get her off of his hitbox, and ike is slow enough the she doesn't have much of an issue getting in.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Campy character with excellent zoning ability and recovery + super campy game where lots of characters can get gimped = decent character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Jigglypuff isn't so bad, she can kinda camp like Wario can when she gets a lead, she's just not as good at doing it on stage (Off stage she does it better than Wario though).

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I read a quote from somebody that said something like, "In Brawl, every character plays like Jigglypuff, but Jigglypuff plays like 'jump around and what to lose.'"

I'm going with that.
I don't have a clue what this means.

That said, I'm going with that too.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
I'm probably the most experienced with Jiggs back here, but I don't really know what to say about her so I'll just splurge basics I know. Also, most of the success I've had with Jiggs is mostly due to the fact that virtually nobody has a good jiggs, and I take people by surprise with tactics that shouldn't work more than 3 times in a sitting.

Her Fair is her best killing move, followed by dash attack. Bair is a great move to just spam in general because it's fast and fairly strong. Jiggs never really has to approach if shes winning, and the Wall-of-Pain strategy still works, though not as dominant as melee(Fence of pain?). She is extremely, if not the most, aerially mobile in the game, making for some rare aerial combos, and lots of pseudo combos. You can complete all of her aerials during a short hop, and you can even jump and aerial again before you hit the ground (except dair). Dair has it's own tricks though, good for gimping off the stage, and short hop dair drill on a person can combo into grab and rest. She can duck Falco lasers, and she can hover around most other projectiles, much like MK.

Her recovery is amazing, jump to upward pound gains massive vertical and horizontal distance, and you get 5 of them. This lets her excel at gimping characters with bad/gimpable recoveries (olimar, ZSS, space animals, etc.). She can literally stall matches vs some characters who can't chase her around under parts of stages. She has a sliding Usmash. Rest kills people depending on weight in the range of just under 60% to just over 95% (not positive on the numbers but its around there). Grab punches do 3%, and all throws do 9-12%. Fresh Fair kills light characters with good DI, depending on stage location, at just over 100%. Fair kills heavies much later, but the closer to the end of the screen you are, that % gets way lower.

D

Deleted member

also, when I play jigglypuff, I usually get ***** by my own tap jump. tap jump is probably best turned off.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Rest is actually a decent combo breaker. Since it has invincibility frames on the very first frame (or super armor? I don't know,. It has something invincible to it)

Jiggs has a lot of decent/good offensive options, but her light weight and lack of ANY real ground game really really messes her up.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Too bad it doesn't hit for 25 frames or she would be amazing lol.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
She cannot upthrow rest ;_; and techs are harder to punish with rests ;_; and people can't have bad DI and die from a rest at 0 ;_;

Thus I cannot play brawl Jiggs

g-regulate

Smash Hero
The only time i find rest to be successful is dair -> rest (sometimes) and if you are smart enough to roll/tech chase a rest. powershield -> rest certain moves is also a possibility

Percon

Smash Lord
heh.

Anyway, Jiggs... isn't the worst, but I don't think she's all that great, either.

On the plus side, her air mobility is pretty useful, bair and dair are ok pokes, fair feels like a smash attack in the air (it's not that good, obviously, but you can get pretty low % kills if you hit them with it offstage) and pound is still a useful spacing tool. I also hear her dash grab range is surprising and her throws are ok, damage-wise.

I don't think her recovery is much of a plus. Almost everyone in brawl has a good recovery, and Jiggs will still die earlier than everyone else. Also, she's slow to gain vertical height which works against her if she isn't recovering from up high, as she's easy to intercept with whatever. This is made even easier by the fact that her aerials don't offer her much protection.

Her ground game is so bad that it's not even worth mentioning. Jab sucks, tilts are depressingly bad (her dtilt makes me laugh every time I use it, no lie). Borderline usable smashes. Fsmash is decent power-wise, dsmash has a nice angle and usmash can boost smash. They're all super short ranged and hyper-punishable, though.

I think she goes even or even loses slightly to Ganon, and I think he's the worst character... :/

On a side note, the charge animation for Jiggs' dsmash is awesome.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is it just me, or her dash grab has really good range? It seems like she slides a bit as she does it.

I like to play her a bit like wario and airdodge all over the place. You can airdodge into grabs and with her aerial mobility you can weave in and out, and land in front or behind the opponent. Just pressure with wall of pain, mix in airdodge into grabs. You can condition your opponent into shielding your double aerials, then do only 1 and airdodge into grab, see? I say that because if you don't mix in grabs with her, you're nerfing her abilities a lot. Every grab hit does like 3%, plus the 10% throw.

Yeah I just went back to page 1, and g-reg pretty much said it all lol. I remember a convo we had from CoT4 about jiggs, he knows his stuff.

Also, dair is weird... you can like, sh or full jump dair and weave in and out while hitting someone's shield, and decide whether to land next to the opponent if it shield pokes or not. If it doesn't poke, then you're out of range and their shield is reduced, so they you can decide to keep pressuring or wait for their response passively. If you land it, you should be able to grab at least. Against snake though, don't short hop dair on his shield, that's a free ftilt. Of course, use common sense.

Yeah it's all I can think of at the moment. Of course, she's not one of the good chars in the game, she has glaring disadvantages like her weight and killing options, but she can be used well like most chars in the game. It's always an uphill battle, but as long as you concentrate on pushing your opponent off stage and getting the grabs, you should be on the right track. If you just rely on your aerial game to dish damage, you will get wrecked.

Brawl isn't really like fencing (melee), it's more like chess, so take it slow. It's like, if you get in the opponent's face too much, you're giving him that many more opportunities to punish you. This is especially the case with Jigglypuff. You don't have a big margin for errors.

For KOs, I find that rest is really really hard to connect with. It's so hard to punish a missed recovery or an airdodge with it, the hitbox is way too small. You also die at like 40% against a lot of characters after missing a rest, so you can only really use it at low percentages... very low >_>. Fair is really good, but you have to land it on the edge of the stage. Fsmash has a lot of start up frames, so you kinda have to Ike the forward smash, and bait airdodges. I have a lot of trouble landing utilt, but I think it's a killing move when fresh? If anyone has input on that, please share.
I'd also suggest getting used to pressuring opponents off stage, don't be afraid to jump off to get an airdodge from them and fair them for the KO. Also, when you jump off stage to edgeguard, make sure you don't let the opponent get past you, always pressure in the air, but retreat towards the edge so you can get him to go lower and edgehog.

That's all I have right now. Also brawl is getting very boring. Also G-reg is pretty much the most knowledgeable jiggs poster from what I've seen in this thread, he said most of what I was already thinking.

EDIT 2: About powershielding into rest, the mechanics of the game allows you to do so, but only when there's really really bad spacing, or if the opponent's move carries the opponents character over jigglypuff. I've powershielded a TL dash attack into rest a few times.

And about multi hit moves, just like edreese said, you can interrupt them with rest. If you get jab comboed, just mash down B. One example, you can rest Luigi after he jabs you. You can also rest MK through tornado, I've seen a Ottawa jiggs player rest zaf's mk right through the tornado, for the match.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Is it just me, or her dash grab has really good range? It seems like she slides a bit as she does it.
Honestly, she has one of the most unexpectedly large grab ranges in the game.

TKD

Smash Lord
Speaking of grabs, Puff's grab animations match Kirby's. I would guess they have equal range. If anything's different, Puff probably slides more after landing it. ...Of course, her throws do a couple points less of damage, put the opponent in more of a neutral position than Kirby can, and they can't KO occasionally either, so the throws themselves are nowhere near as good.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I don't wanna do a summary >_<

Everything after this post is general discussion.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Jiggs isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Yet, she's still not anywhere near good. She's decent, but gets absolutely wrecked by too many characters to even think of her as a viable character (Game and Watch says hi).

I noticed her grab range too. Why in the world is it as big as it is? o_O Unfortunately, she can't really do much with it. Fthrow or back throw to build up some damage...hooray.

Her bair is solid. It builds up damage well, and I'd still call it a wall of pain. Her nair also does a pretty good job building up damage from what I've seen, considering how quick it is and how easy it is to space if you miss or connect. Her dair is okay too. It's good at poking the sheid, but it's still weak as balls >_>

Her safest kill move is obviously her fair. It will kill at surprisingly low percentages if it's fresh or depending on where you are on the stage. Her dash attack is also (surprisingly) a very good kill move. I never see it coming when playing Jiggs. All three of her smashes are also kill moves, but considering how slow and laggy they are, you better be darn sure you're going to connect. DAC upsmash is probably her safest smash, and it's also quite powerful.

Unfortunately, the cons definitely outweigh the pros here. The physics engine in Brawl really hurt Jiggs, especially considering how little she's changed from Melee. Gone are guaranteed upthrow to rest or upair or backair combos. Short combos still exist, but like usual in Brawl, it's probably because of bad di. And her lightness is just absurd.

Yet, despite all these cons, I find it unbelievable that players like G-reg are able to place so high with her. Incredible.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Lol, I think some of you overrated Jiggz at some part and underrating at others.

Her ground game, is no doubt terrible. Infact, I honestly think her ground game is literally just getting a grab and getting your opponent back in the air. What I find to be her most amazing feature, and the only reason why I still main her, is her shield pressure game. It's amazing.

Jigglypuff excels at weakening enemy's shields, to the point where she can practically guarantee she can poke through it with almost any of her moves. Her dair weakens the shield hard, and can be retreated as it's being used. This helps keep her safe. Pound also weakens the shield reallly hard, sometimes I can dair, retreat, then pound and make their shield close to breaking. This isespecially useful against snake, who will shield drop their grenades as you approach, with the grenade being avoidable with a dair and a rising pound.

Jigglypuff is really good at juggling with her uair, and uair can shield poke really well, going along with her shield pressure game, getting her enemies back in the air. She can chain her bairs pretty well offstage, helping her get quick gimps and get her fair as fresh as possible.

Her rest interrupts are something that's really useful at high levels of play. Veril can (Or used to be) is able to consistently interrupt many multihit moves. A couple examples are Diddy's dash attack, fsmash and usmash, Bowsers fsmash, firebreath, Jigglypuffs own dair, MK's tornado... Almost any multihit move.

I think she deserves middle of low tier tbh.

Veril

Frame Savant
Her rest interrupts are something that's really useful at high levels of play. Veril can (Or used to be) is able to consistently interrupt many multihit moves. A couple examples are Diddy's dash attack, fsmash and usmash, Bowsers fsmash, firebreath, Jigglypuffs own dair, MK's tornado... Almost any multihit move.
Oh look, its my name. Hey somewhat intimidating smash gurus...

Yeah, certain moves are really easier to rest out of, some are a lot harder. The most immediately useful is probably Diddy's dash attack which only requires mashing b between the 3rd and 4th hit. There are a bunch of others that are useful as well. Marth's dancing blade can also be interrupted. If they use the down variant of the 4th hit you can rest them every time.

I don't really play normal Brawl anymore but I think that Jiggs is a really good secondary/pocket character. hmmm...

Jigglypuff's weaknesses are much more obvious than her strengths. She dies very early, being the lightest character in the game. Portions of her moveset are analogous to a horribly mutated non-functional limb. Her smashes are mediocre at best and her down and forward tilt are nearly useless. I'd go so far as to say her d-tilt is one of the worst moves in the entire game. Sing is also nearly useless, seeing as the opponent can wake up before Jiggs is out of lag up to 200%. Her aerials game is hurt by the lack of hitstun and even moreso by stale move negation. She has a horrific matchup with GW and generally is at the disadvantage against any other character.

Her strengths are impressive. Rest has lost a lot of power, but it can now act as a combo breaker, interrupting multihit moves and even countering single hits, because of its invincibility frames. She has a great grab game, with her pivot grab having an unbelievable range. Of course, she's a beast in the air, with great maneuverability and speed. Up-air can juggle, b-air can camp or WOP, f-air KOs very well, d-air trips and n-air has an extremely long sex kick. Gimping is an area she excels, with many options available to her due to her near unlimited recovery.

Jiggs is fun, and good secondary material. She does better against MK than most low-tiers and actually counters Diddy. She's certainly much better than people think: not terrible, just not very good.

Top Bottom