SBR Tier List - Results

Nintendude

Smash Hero
So I've compiled all of the votes and extracted some statistics. Here's what I came up with:

[collapse="Tier List"]

[/collapse]
[collapse="Graph"]

[/collapse]
[collapse="Votes"]

Color coded to highlight the extreme votes:

[/collapse]

In terms of order, it's exactly the same as the current tier list except Jiggly / Ness are switched and Link / Luigi are tied. Discuss.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Some surprising things for me are...

A$ voting 7 on luigi

DK having the highest standard of deviation

Majority of people are pro kirby #2 (in the BR)

AA gave link a lesser rank then me and nintendude (expected boom)

Mine and boomfans ranking of ness (not surprised at my ranking but the comparison)

Link & luigis overall rank ended up as a tie again

King funk gave samus a higher rank then link and luigi

No one voted falcon 3rd (King funk even ranked him 5th!)

Star King is the only person with a space in his name to have both words in the same line!

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Star King is the only person with a space in his name to have both words in the same line!
I have a two word name with 4 letters each and I don't get it on the same line?

WTF.

/troll

But on a serious note, I don't think DK having the highest deviation is such a surprise at all. I kinda regret my placing of Link on this list, but I based it on the fact that sets will never start on Hyrule for him.

Very interesting. I totally thought that KIRBZ would be in third. I also think it's really funny that I feel like I'm always defending Ness from disproportionate hate on here, yet I voted him lower than everyone except Boom.

So, is this going to be posted in the main 64 boards?

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Link is really wonky. I put him super high for Hyrule but super low for Dreamland. Since you're going to play on a smaller stage more often, he got ranked low :(

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure I play Hyrule more often than all small stages put together.
But when you are put into the matchup, are you not going to use the best option possible to win vs a link? Which would mean he never plays on Hyrule in tourney play.

Even so i think link can control DL / congo pretty well once people start using his projectiles effectively...obviously his recovery is a major issue but im not ranking him very highly either way, he's still 9th

gettin at you, that's pretty damn high lol

if we're talking pure potential on different stages then we have to take into account how often the stage will be picked in tourney - like, if we use isai's rules then hyrule is the neutral each first round, but with the BR ruleset hyrule will probably be struck out as soon as somebody sees his opponent is using link

dunno what to say, his current position seems ok (A$ being deviant and not allowing link > luigi lol)

My list is so mainstream. Makes the inner hipster in me sad. I should have put Luigi below Samus or something.

Mario isn't above Falcon, so I'm not forced to do SOMETHING DRASTIC. Or something. Yeah.

Things that surprised me:
-I thought everybody was going to put Kirby above Fox.
-My Puff vote being average, when I'm supposed to be the Puff lover or something.
-A$'s Luigi at 7.
-Samus not being unanimous worst.
-Boomfan putting Ness at 11. I thought Peek made you "see the light" or whatever? :laugh:
-Boomfan putting Puff at 7. I thought you were a Puff hater for some reason. Maybe I've got you all wrong >_>
-Surri and Nintendude putting DK at 10.
-Surri putting Ness at 11.
-Me putting Luigi above Link. I know it's kind of silly to be surprised by your own list, but I would really like to know WTF I was thinking. I really regret that now. Ugh, Luigi is so bad.

My list is so mainstream. Makes the inner hipster in me sad. I should have put Luigi below Samus or something.

Mario isn't above Falcon, so I'm not forced to do SOMETHING DRASTIC. Or something. Yeah.

Things that surprised me:
-I thought everybody was going to put Kirby above Fox.
-My Puff vote being average, when I'm supposed to be the Puff lover or something.
-A$'s Luigi at 7.
-Samus not being unanimous worst.
-Boomfan putting Ness at 11. I thought Peek made you "see the light" or whatever? :laugh:
-Boomfan putting Puff at 7. I thought you were a Puff hater for some reason. Maybe I've got you all wrong >_>
-Surri and Nintendude putting DK at 10.
-Surri putting Ness at 11.
-Me putting Luigi above Link. I know it's kind of silly to be surprised by your own list, but I would really like to know WTF I was thinking. I really regret that now. Ugh, Luigi is so bad.
I suppose you mean me putting ness at 6th, and ive always been for a higher ranked ness. I really think the recovery thing was way over played. Ness does have a really bad recovery, but the other aspects that people go on about are crazy, like having no approach or no means to kill. Because of this it almost seems like people put a curse on his name where you didnt have to think about it, ness sux. Perhaps 6th might have been pushing it a bit but I'd honestly go no lower then 7th.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Northern NJ, 15 minutes from the GW or Manhattan
I wouldn't mind people posting this.

My vote for link highly changed due to DL and Congo being available. Link on Hyrule only for me is either bottom or B (bottom of High) or Top of Medium (5th or 6th). Fox also takes second if Hyrule is the only stage..easily.

Interesting votes:
A$ Luigi vote
Nintendude's DK vote
How much Link changed due to Hyrule not being the only stage.

Funny things for me:
The "anti-bias" with the two Falcon mains who messed up an unanimous vote by putting Falcon a spot lower.
Jigglypuff almost getting put in bottom tier
Samus not being unanimous worst.
Pikachu being Metaknight level broken
The massive discrepancy with Ness and DK votings

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Funny things for me:
Pikachu being Metaknight level broken
If there was a large active competitive scene for Smash 64, I'd bet you at least 60% of players would use Pikachu as their main or secondary.

But then 64 is usually not a game where you main anything. Most good players can play any character, because they're all rather easy.

Nintendude, all you. Draft up some sort of thing if you want, introduce the concept, whatever. I'll proof it if you want.

And yeah, the inputs etc needed for 64 techskill are hilariously easy, we don't really have 'mains' like other games do after you get past the spamming B moves stage...

would say I'm a Link main if I was asked though

Marc

Relic of the Past
GRimer
That's interesting, also in light of the Meta Knight debate. Is Pikachu's status as the single best character ever perceived as problematic?

dandan

Smash Lord
nope, although pikachu is undoubtedly the best, the difference in the abilities is not as major as in other games (at least what i have heard about mk, never really played brawl). you can win with just about every char, save for a few matchups that are really one sided (fox samus on hyrule for example).

btw, i disagree with funk's notion about falcon being close to even on dreamland, but that is just me. i wonder what others think.

If almost everyone is in favor of this being released publicly I'm all for it. What should we call this though?

With regards to Pikachu, I think the fact that he has no bad matchups is kind of mitigated by the fact that almost every character in this game can punish so hard. So at the highest levels of play, where people can get first hits in with any character, the imbalance really isn't that bad.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
That's interesting, also in light of the Meta Knight debate. Is Pikachu's status as the single best character ever perceived as problematic?
Well, not really because the 64 scene is not big and active enough. There are not enough people to complain about the rat. =D

As far as I see it, he's identical to MK in his dominance in the game.