• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

D

Deleted member

Goodbye friend, and thank you. You helped bring joy into so many lives and you will be greatly missed. :sadeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
This is... absolutely unbelievable. He... He was responsible for so many games being played around the world, and his ambition to remind us why we love video games in the first place. To have fun.

"Please understand."
~Satoru Iwata

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
Phil Spencer:
And now Phil Spencer shows his his regards.
A beautiful man has left us.And PlayStation and Xbox have left regards...it's a sad time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know FNAF is disgustingly irrelevent,but this song seemed fitting to me.

Tide

Smash Rookie
I had to make an account here just to post this.

This man Satoru Iwata brought me such Joy in my childhood. Growing up as a kid in the 90 - 2000 era of no internet games, as a single child with no siblings. And a mom that worked all the time.

Some of my fondest memories of my childhood were spent in my room playing banjo kazooie, Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Snowboard Kids 1 and 2... So many memories to count.

Thank you for allowing me to get lost in such wonderful games, you really put your heart into your work. You are gone but Never forgotten

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wow, I never realised what hearing something like this would feel. A brilliant individual, one responsible for many incredible games and many incredible memories has just vanished, and that's definitely sad. I didn't expect to wake up to this news this morning or... what I was hoping would be a long time.

RIP Iwata, you've helped inspire a generation.

thaCASHdude

Smash Apprentice
It may be Game Over for you, but what you've been creating, and what you've left with us will Continue on in our Lives!

R.I.P. Iwata-San. Gone, but not forgotten...!

*Salutes*

D

Deleted member

wow... this is sad R.I.P. you great man. you shall live on in our hearts.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
"The most important thing is not live is not is your legacy that you left"

Today is really sad day I can't believe this really happen.
Im...speechless...

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata. Sorry I can't talk. Im too sad...

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Man... When I first heard the news, I just couldn't bring myself to believe it. I was in shock. It just seemed so sudden to me, and was very upsetting...

Then I realized it was, in fact, true. I really wish it wasn't, though...

You know, I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried today. Even if I never met him in person, that doesn't make his death any less of a horrible thing... I got pretty emotional.

Rest in peace, Satoru Iwata. We will always remember you.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I feel terrible about all the disappointment many folks had over E3 this year now.
Iwata hearing how the fans felt they'd let him down was one of the last things he'd ever address. That's an awful last memory for the man.

R.I.P. Mr. Satoru Iwata. Thank you for everything you've done. You helped shape many people's lives, you were a great man who was kind enough to take a paycut to lower prices for the 3DS, allowing many to experience such joy, and for that I send my thanks; directly to you.

Last edited:

Gattsu

Smash Rookie
NNID
despiarinducing
R.I.P
Gone too soon, but still in our hearts.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
.........oh my f**king god.......I just randomly came to Smashboards, saw this news title, and didn't even breathe.

I........I had no words........I just sat there and gave myself a moment of silence for like 20 seconds if that meant anything for respect.

I...................I'm speechless. Just.........jesus.....

Last edited:

MeleeMario64

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-1005-9633
.........oh my f**king god.......I just randomly came to Smashboards, saw this news title, and didn't even breathe.

I........I had no words........I just sat there and gave myself a moment of silence for like 20 seconds if that meant anything for respect.

I...................I'm speechless. Just.........jesus.....
I know that feel...we all do right now.

SolCalibre

One of UK's Best Sonics, apparently.
NNID
Solcalibur64
It's not that i'm crying profusely but my eyes always now seem to fill to the brim with tears and this may have been the first time i've truly felt the emotion of someone passing away.

Maybe it's still sinking in, I dunno but may he rest in peace.

Mitochondria-Eve

Smash Rookie
Iwata was an amazing man, and while I didn't agree with a lot of the decisions he made, I have always respected him for what he has done for the industry. This is not just any game developer or CEO; this man changed lives and forged friendships. He was incredible.

Rest in peace, Iwata. You will be missed.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Even Rivals was saying good bye.

They know that Iwata was a worthy opponent to battle.

Now is gone, is never gonna be the same battle.
And even for us, is not gonna be the same to your leader fallen.
I never cry for a celebrity or President but in this case I can tell.
I feel really sad about. I can't see Iwata picture again because... he is...
One greatest person I seen the internet.
R.I.P. Satoru Iwata.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I haven't lived nearly half of my life....
like most other adults that I know...
But I still have plenty memories...
right here in my own backpack...

"I miss you"

R.I.P.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The first thing that i see when i am asleep and i go to my computer........ Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata. We will never forget you......Now i'm feeling bad.....

Last edited:

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
Wow. Just... Wow.

I was at a Smash tournament today when a friend ran up to a couple of us who were talking and told us. Sure wasn't easy to focus on the tournament after hearing this.

Then I came home to edit videos for my Pokemon XD challenge series, and I get to the finale, and guess what name was at the end of the credits under the title "Executive Producer"...

Iwata, I truly didn't realize how much of an impact you had on my life until today. I went ahead and looked at the list of games you've worked on and, really, nearly all of my favorite games were on that list. Thank you for the memories your games gave me and my friends, and thank you for being one of my biggest inspirations for deciding to make video games for a career. I really wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for you and your impact on the video game industry.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
His last public announcement was apologizing for E3 2015 and one of the last things he faced was a petition to cancel Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

I hope he didn't die thinking he let all his fans down.

Rest In Peace, Iwata. You've done good.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
I was just checking Smashboards before going very late to bed when I was hit with this. I saw the title had couldn't believe it was real. The news kept me up another hour and a half.

I actually cried when I tried going to sleep, which I didn't think was possible from someone I never met in person, but Iwata was just so influential to me... I still find it difficult to fight tears when I see the gorgeous art people have made for him.

By so many, he will be missed. Thank you Iwata. :sadeyes:

Graminthesalmon

Smash Cadet
I love this man. He is beautiful and his spirit was always so bright and joyful. I can't help crying...

Dish0ut

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BASI#977
NNID
Yoderman2
3DS FC
0817-4278-1423
Switch FC
SW-6074-4583-8904
what an Incredible man.

may he Rest in Peace.

I'm going to go cry some more now.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Never would've expected this, he seemed so full of life, and passionate in what he was doing. You will be missed man, this came as quite a shock indeed. Nintendo's greatest president, you will be missed! May your legacy live on forever.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I honestly cried reading this news and all the people reacting to it.

He influenced a lot of people and showed that even in the business world there are people that ACTUALLY CARE about the people putting their money out there, he cut his pay at one point when the 3DS wasn't doing well, he was the reason Kanto was able to fit inside Pokemon Gold/Silver, he helped bring us Kirby and Earthbound, and filled so many people growing up with happiness and smiles.

It really is true... heroes and the good die young. 55 was too soon, but we will never forget such an amazing man. Iwata-san, you will be missed... :(

Achroma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-7850-1658
Nothing has shaken me up more than this today. I've cried without even thinking it or intentionally trying. This man shaped my childhood and millions of other and I felt like he died way too soon.

Please understand....it's OK to cry.

Top Bottom