• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
RIP Mr. Iwata.

Between your contributions to the gaming industry and the personal touch your presence brought to each and every Nintendo Direct, you have brought joy to millions of people around the world and we all hope you rest in peace.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This was entirely not expected. I'm in complete shock over this.

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
And all we had to do was understand. :(

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I cannot type anything...I've been speechless for so long now.....I'm at a loss for words. I don't know what to say...except, RIP Satoru Iwata. You will be dearly missed

I'm now gonna go replay some of the games he was heavily involved with...

Last edited:

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Sad day for the community. A truly great man has passed on. We should remember him through the legacy he left all of us.

R.I.P. Iwata-san

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
RIP. :(
He was most of greatest person in Nintendo history. :'(

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
You know, Iwata's efforts have graced my life with some of the favorite video games of all time. He's sowed the seeds of my gaming roots. And its with these games that he's created passions that have remained attached to my heart forever.

Iwata's like a magical toy maker to me. He was always making the magic happen under wraps in his shop, gracing us his lovely wares throughout the years. Looks like he just moved on too soon for us.

Also Monty Oum, James Horner, John Nash and B.B. King.

2015 will be remembered as one of the hardest years to swallow for many.
You forgot Terry Prachett. :<

mark welford

Smash Ace
Instead of us mourning him why don't we celebrate his life, his achievements and his legacy? We should be celebrating that he is off to do bigger and better things instead of crying that he's gone. He is on to the next level and a man is never truly dead unless he's forgotten and through us, Iwata is immortalized.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
A great man has left us today please understand that today is sad day for Nintendo
We will miss you iwata you made us laugh, you made us confused , you made us angry , but most of all you made us understand what it means to be Nintendo

Evil Burrito

Smash Cadet
Rest In Peace, Satoru Iwata. You're a gaming legend and will forever be in Nintendo history. Please Understand, we will all miss you. With introducing wonderful consoles & handhelds such as the Wii & 3DS, those memories will never be forgotten, not to mention helping to make Super Smash Bros and helped program EarthBound. Makes me sad that the last time we saw Iwata was his muppet form, who knows how Iwata even looked like in his state during the very last days before his death.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
This is a man who has changed the lives of many whether they knew it or not. A legend in the gaming world, but more importantly, a genuinely nice man. A man who's optimistic in the face of failure, and a man who is willing to sacrifice for the sake of others. His smile was one that warmed your heart every time you saw it

My Condolences to Iwata's friends and most importantly, his family. R.I.P Legend

Last edited:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
R.I.P. Satoru Iwata, you will be missed.
Nintendo will never be the same without you.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Rest in Peace to the President of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata...
Nintendo has been a huge part of my childhood and my coming of age, playing through Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon and Smash has helped shaped myself as a person and escape from harsh realities I had to deal with! Words cannot describe what this man has done for gaming as a whole, and my appreciation to the contributions he has made.
Good, sir! I tip my hat to you!

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe it. One of the greatest people the gaming industry has ever known. For those who don't know, Smash probably wouldn't have even been a thing if it weren't for Iwata helping Sakurai to get the game greenlit by Nintendo. He also helped code Melee when development was running behind schedule, which was a great boon considering his skill in writing code. And the list of his accomplishments goes far beyond Smash.

- Single-handedly created compression tools for Pokemon GSC, which were what allowed two regions to be in the game.

- Wrote the entire battle-system code for Pokemon Stadium 64.

- While working for HAL, helped to create Kirby, Earthbound, and Balloon Fight.

- As president of Nintendo, oversaw and pushed for the Nintendo DS and Wii, two systems that helped further Nintendo's unique image.

- Also worked on games from almost all of Nintendo's notable franchises, i.e. Metroid Prime, Galaxy 2, WarioWare, Windwaker, Animal Crossing, FE:Fates, etc.

However, what I will remember the most about him is his devotion to gaming as a gamer. While the industry is constantly being crowded by people only concerned with using gaming as a source of profit, Iwata put game quality and unique ideas before anything else. To put it simply: he was Nintendo as I remember and know it. His charm and devotion is something I don't see from other companies, and I doubt will ever be replicated by any one person.

RIP Satoru Iwata.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Wow, this was so unexpected news.
Nintendo is having kind of a rough year for 2015 so far, they just lost the president who practically was the creator of the DS and the Wii U and not only that he was the person who let us have DLC for all of these great games.
We lost not only a president, and but we lost a gaming developer, a business man, and a gamer.
RIP Satoru Iwata
Your legacy shall live on. Nintendo Directs will not be the same without you.
Though this makes me wonder who's going to be the new president and what's going to happen now?
Don't think I'm going to get much sleep tonight after hearing this sad news.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Rest in peace! Our prayers are with you and your family! You have given me a way to truly bond with my children, and for that, I will be eternally grateful!

RedMacaw95

Smash Rookie
Mr. Iwata, so sad that you are gone, but thank you for making millions of people having the best childhood memories. May rest in peace.

Jupiter9099

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0748-3222-8455
Thanks for your support in Nintendo, Iwata. Childhoods everywhere are grateful.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Rest in peace Iwata. My thoughts are to you and to your family. You were a great leader for Nintendo and will be missed dearly. We will never forget you or your great deeds.

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
daaaaaaaang

he was the one who asked sakurai for dlc

such a great and noble deed

pichu will miss him

R.I.P.
What the **** is wrong with you? We're here commemorating a good man and you're here ranting about Pichu? A great man has died?

Rest in Peace, President

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I feel horrible. Satoru Iwata was downright my favourite of the big names at Nintendo. I enjoyed his Nintendo Direct presentations...It's saddening that he had such an untimely death. Rest in Peace, Mr. Iwata. :(

D

Deleted member 245254

There's not much that can be said. Huge loss for anyone who loves gaming. Rest in peace.

Gilly

Smash Rookie
R.I.P Satoru Iwata. My thoughts are with the family. Man, truly a legend has left our world but at least he's going to a better place...

Top Bottom