• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sandbag Punches Back- A Sandbag Support Thread

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Long-time punching bag, Sandbag has taken enough damage over the years. Three-time Smash npc has been smacked around, beaten up, and knocked out of the park. Now it's his turn.

Movesets
Sandbag
in Super Smash Flash 2

Universe Super Smash Bros.
Availability Unlockable
Weight class Medium
Final Smash Revenge

Sandbag is an playable newcomer unlockable character in Super Smash Flash 2. He was first revealed in SSF2 Dev Blog #5 on April 1, 2016, and initially thought to be an April Fool's joke. However, a special blog, SSF2 Dev Blog #5.1, was released two days later confirming Sandbag's inclusion as the game's "joke" character. Sandbag was a pet project by SSF2 developer James Hadden and its development was completed in a week's time thanks to the character using only three sprites in all of his animations which were then rotated, stretched, and distorted in Flash to create over 70 unique animations.

Attributes
Sandbag is a good fighter but lacks good movement and recovery options. He has a range of combo starters, up throw, up tilt, down tilt and down throws, and finishers in forward smash, down aerial, forward throw, standard attack, dash attack, forward aerial, and Bob-omb Toss. Recovery-wise, Sandbag has a theoretical infinite recovery in his up special, but it will kill at higher percentages. Sandgrab and Sanddash lets him get a decent horizontal movement and a medium vertical movement, respectively. His walk/dash is unorthodox and ordinarily among the slowest in the game but can be more than doubled using his crouch to interrupt his hopping animation. This technique is called soaping.

While Bob-omb Toss can get Sandbag back on stage usually, it has many disadvantages, such as killing Sandbag at high percents and racking up damage quickly due to the necessary repeated use to recover at low percents while off-stage.

Moveset
Ground attacks
Attack Description Damage
Standard attack Headbutts opponent. Great knockback. 9%
Down tilt Rolls across the ground. 10%
Down smash Does a ground-pound. 2 hits. 10%
9%
19%
Forward tilt Leaps himself forward and afterwards, performs a headbutt. 13%
Forward smash Low-leaps himself forward. 15%
Up tilt Headbutts upwards. Can string into itself, neutral aerial and/or back aerial. 7%
Up smash Jumps high, while contortioning himself. 2 hits 9%
8%
17%
Dash attack Rolls forward. Has high ending lag. 14%
Aerial attacks
Neutral aerial Spins vertically in the air, very quick and low landing lag. Can string into itself. 11%
Forward aerial Does a kick forwards. Great range and knockback. 11%
Back aerial Does a kick backwards. Great range, low knockback. Can string into itself. 9%
Up aerial Swings head upwards. 9%
Down aerial Curls up, then kicks downwards. Strongest meteor smash in the game. 19%
Grabs and throws
Grab Grabs opponent with his head. N/A
Pummel Headbutts opponent. 1%
Forward throw Falls flat on the ground, damaging opponents. The strongest forward throw in the game. 13%
Back throw Spins the opponent many times, then throw it backwards. 9%
Up throw Headbutts opponent upwards. 11%
Down throw Ground pounds the opponent twice. 4%
13%
17%
Other attacks
Floor attack Jumps up and hits both ways. 6%
Special moves
Special move Name Description Damage
Standard special move Capsule Spawn Picks a capsule from inside himself that can contain any items currently active in the Item switch. 9%
32%
Side special move Sandgrab Leaps himself forward, then grabs and throws opponents in his path with his head. Can be an infinite. 6%
Up special move Bob-omb Toss Throws a Bob-omb in the air, exploding himself, dealing great damage and upwards knockback, on both himself and opponents. If it hits the opponent before it hits Sandbag, does increased damage and much more knockback. 18%
27%
Down special move Sanddash A controllable burst of momentum in any direction that can be cancelled into any other attack, including itself when used on the ground. N/A
Final Smash Revenge Carries opponent to Home-Run Contest Arena, then smashes them with a Home-Run Bat. Unknown.
Misc.
Misc. Description
On-screen appearance A part of the Home-Run Contest roadway will briefly appear. Sandbag comes flying and lands on it, then gets up as the road disappears.
Taunts Standard Falls flat on the ground, then goes back up. Very similar to Luigi's side taunt.
Side Very quickly squishes himself. Can be used as endlag (or faster startup) for his dash.
Down Spin once vertically while a random comical sound effect, such as those emitted by Mr. Saturn or when a Party Ball opens, plays.
Victory theme Based on the menu theme from Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Victory pose Tilts to the side and winks at the camera.

Supporter icon (thanks Splat):

Supporters:
  1. BigShad
  2. Bolshoi
  3. DelphoxFan97
  4. ErenJager
  5. FunAtParties
  6. GallowGlass
  7. Hidan
  8. Jason the Yoshi
  9. JBRPG
  10. Keto
  11. kiteinthesky
  12. Laniv
  13. LaughingLefou
  14. MaestroDavros
  15. OhMyBanana54
  16. OreoSmasher777
  17. Sabrewulf238
  18. SEGAGameBoy
  19. smash puffle
  20. Twolkai
  21. wavesorcerer14
  22. ZagarTulip
  23. Zero Soul

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The idea of Sandbag attacking just feels fundamentally wrong to me. I preferred his implementation in other (fan) games, where he could perform all the same subtle things as other smash characters like teching, DIing and controlling the length of his slide along the ground but couldn't actively move or fight back.

This took his training dummy status to a whole new level, without adding anything stupid and gimmicky that didn't really make sense.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd love to see Sandbag playable, he's pretty hilarious in Smash Flash 2, and I've been dying for a real joke character again ever since Pichu's cut in Brawl.
And yeah, before anyone asks, part of why I'd like to see Sandbag is because I'd like Jigglypuff's probable joke character status to get stolen like Pichu seemed to have done before in Melee, so she can be viable again. However, even if she doesn't indirectly improve as a result of Sandbag's inclusion, I'm confident I'd enjoy Sandbag like I currently am in SSF2, so it's a win-win situation for me.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Oh why not, I support this fella, I've been itching for a real joke character since Pichu left.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Thanks for joining anyone have any moveset ideas?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I personally wouldn't mind Sandbag as a character.....but on the other hand there are a lot of characters people want and probably not that many slots available...so I'm also a bit torn.

If we got a lot of popular picks included then I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Sandbag playable, it could be fun.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I always had a soft spot for this cute guy, and I always dreamed to play as him since I was a kid.
I support!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Forgot I made this lol. Thanks for the bump. Updated supporters

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
I do believe Sandbag deserves a shot. Ever since Smash Bros Ultimate has been revealed and not to expect too many newcomers, I hope the last newcomer before release would be Sandbag itself, but different and alive.

All sandbag would need is a wide bandana and move its heavy weight around, and you get a totally limbless character.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I do believe Sandbag deserves a shot. Ever since Smash Bros Ultimate has been revealed and not to expect too many newcomers, I hope the last newcomer before release would be Sandbag itself, but different and alive.

All sandbag would need is a wide bandana and move its heavy weight around, and you get a totally limbless character.
Seeing this included everyone, it would be nice for Sandbag himself to finally get a shot.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I support Sandbag.
Can he have Master Hand and Crazy Hand as floating limbs?

Imagine Sandbag... the true villain of Smash Ultimate... he shrinks the hands and forces them to become his limbs.
Gainging their finger gun abilities and projectile hands

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've played a good bit of Smash Bros to know who and what he is. I've played Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. I support!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
In Smash 4 I made a mii brawler of Sandbag's brother Spar. He's a ultra heavy, full defense mii with auto healing. He's a lot of fun to play with and against.
HNI_0043.JPG

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
Add me as a supporter! Let it be stated that if Sandbag is playable I will buy a life sized Sandbag.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Count me in. People say we've already got our joke character with Pichu back, but the thing is we've got more "joke" characters than just him. Hell, I'm willing to bet Jigglypuff was 64's joke character. Luigi's kind of a joke character in his own right (well, "joke" as in a comical moveset), and so-on. Besides, a Smash rep would be great and honestly super meta. While there is Tabuu, he just wouldn't... fit. At all, unless they severely changed his moveset, but then he ain't Tabuu no more, he'd be more like Normall.
I could see Sandbag taking on something like the Smash Flash 2 moveset, but with more items to throw around. A character who basically forces (nerfed) items wherever he goes -- like a slow Special move that's just it letting out a Poison Mushroom that lasts for a very short period of time for example.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Count me in. People say we've already got our joke character with Pichu back, but the thing is we've got more "joke" characters than just him. Hell, I'm willing to bet Jigglypuff was 64's joke character. Luigi's kind of a joke character in his own right (well, "joke" as in a comical moveset), and so-on. Besides, a Smash rep would be great and honestly super meta. While there is Tabuu, he just wouldn't... fit. At all, unless they severely changed his moveset, but then he ain't Tabuu no more, he'd be more like Normall.
I could see Sandbag taking on something like the Smash Flash 2 moveset, but with more items to throw around. A character who basically forces (nerfed) items wherever he goes -- like a slow Special move that's just it letting out a Poison Mushroom that lasts for a very short period of time for example.
Plus Wario has an attack that's a fart.

Add me as a supporter! Let it be stated that if Sandbag is playable I will buy a life sized Sandbag.
You mean a punching bag? lmao

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
You know, I just realized... Sandbag hasn't been properly shown in the game yet as far as I'm concerned, or at least officially. Not on the official site or anything.
Also, we briefly saw him in the Direct in one single image:

this may not mean anything, but it's kind of a strange thing...

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
You know, I just realized... Sandbag hasn't been properly shown in the game yet as far as I'm concerned, or at least officially. Not on the official site or anything.
Also, we briefly saw him in the Direct in one single image:

this may not mean anything, but it's kind of a strange thing...
Don't you do it. Don't you dare get me hyped

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Throwing my support behind this character! If this is truly to be the ultimate Smash game, we need the ultimate Smash representative!

If you still want a moveset, I could probably throw one together. Though, as others have said, it'll probably just be a lot of references to various items in the game. Beam Saber as a F-Smash for instance. I would definitely steal the idea of the suicidal Bob-omb for his U-Special.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Throwing my support behind this character! If this is truly to be the ultimate Smash game, we need the ultimate Smash representative!

If you still want a moveset, I could probably throw one together. Though, as others have said, it'll probably just be a lot of references to various items in the game. Beam Saber as a F-Smash for instance. I would definitely steal the idea of the suicidal Bob-omb for his U-Special.
I'll add you. Make a moveset if you please, and I'll add it to the OP.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Throwing my support in as well. I think he'd be a fun character (and I noticed his absence too. The home run bat hasn't been seen yet either come to think about it. Do you think... No, just a coincidence. Is it?) ;)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It'd be sweet if we got one of those cryptic tweets of Sakurai's. I can see it now: "I recently took up boxing as a hobby. I'm new at this, so it almost feels like the bag is hitting me back!"

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Don't you do it. Don't you dare get me hyped
Here's another thing. All of those mode screens shown in the Direct show fighters, and ONLY fighters.
This one in particular might reference Little Mac's trailer back in Smash 4 where Sandbag is getting beat up... coincidence..? ;)
Also SmashWiki says Sandbags are coming back... but that's it... no other details about that. I don't know where they got that info from before the Direct, specially since I haven't seen Sandbags in the E3 demo so far.
Another thing, since Sandbag technically counted as a character on Melee's data, and the "Everyone is Here" slogan they have, and that Sandbag's info in Ultimate is SO limited right now... yeah my hopes are a bit higher than they were before, still a silly observation though.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Little Mac is gonna be the next character to die and Sandbag is the murderer, my uncle's nephew's son's grandpa works at HAL so I can confirm this.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
This is a real photo of Sakurai at this year's E3...

I'M GETTING TOO MUCH INTO THIS PLS SEND HELP

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
This is a real photo of Sakurai at this year's E3...

I'M GETTING TOO MUCH INTO THIS PLS SEND HELP
Just a photo op imo. My man needs to wrap up and learn how to throw a punch lol.

Sandbag looks like a true heavy

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Also Ditto was in Melee's data. Was meant to copy the opponent but was cut, it still had very early unfinished code when you summon it in-game. Sandbag (for whatever reason) has the ability to jump, walk, grab and drop items. He has some very unfinished code and doing anything else crashes the game.
Now Ditto is in Ultimate and does the exact thing it was supposed to do back in Melee.

I know I'm going too much into this, but I've been wanting to play as him for 11+ years so you could kind of understand why I've been speculating so much recently. He would be the perfect pick for the joke character that "nobody was expecting".

EDIT: Just also found out. In Brawl, Sandbag has unused animations for being held in a grab. Almost all of his animations are in the code and are finished, but left unused. The only animations missing are the special ones where a character is being held by Snake.

EDIT #2: Hey guys... Can I also mention that Home Run Contest wasn't shown off in the Direct? Just an observation... :estatic:

Guys, I've compiled a lot of info. I think I'm gonna make a video about this to point out everything and give my personal thoughts about the topic.

Last edited:

wavesorcerer14

Smash Rookie
Sign me up now. I seriously think that Sandbag would be an amazing addition. Why celebrate gaming history without any playable characters that originate from Smash, a game that’s become such a huge part of gaming history? I support Sandbag!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Ok, so I made a document regarding Sandbag in Smash Ultimate, which is the base for what I'm gonna say in the video. Input from you guys would be welcome. I want to make the vid as best as I can, so I would really appreciate your help.

I forgot to add a point about the surprise factor and how we wouldn't expect it, but that being what Sakurai wants us to think, so yeah, the more points here the better.

Attachments

Last edited:

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
In his final smash he could glow and when player touch him they get seriously damaged.

Anyway add me to the support list

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hey FunAtParties FunAtParties is there anything about the document I could adjust or add? I need as much help as I can get before I make the video.
I'd love to give valuable feedback, but you know more about this than me, and you hit up all the valuable points I know about. I think you got pretty much everything.

Top Bottom