• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Smash 4 Thread

Suspect

Smash Hero
Canceled on the movie. Not paying $10 to see it again. So I'll probably go donate to megafox Thursday. Anyone down to meet at ultra or something beforehand so I can learn the game more?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm getting Dark Souls 2: Brotherhood of the First Sin edition next month, I also got Demon's Souls like last week and Dark Souls like last year.

Unfortunately I don't own a PS4 currently and thus no Bloodborne for me at the moment. :L

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Just realized I will probably miss the weekly Thursday. It's a long shot I get done with all my work in time.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Won't be able to go Thursday either. I'm working the rest of the week more or less. :applejack:

CCCM89

Smash Ace
Right, I've decided to start playing bull****.
Anyone willing to help me practice Megaman? I'm doing alright so far, but I'd like a little assistance with timing and applying pressure.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Replaying .hack//INFECTION
Borrowing FFXII and FFX-2
Lollygagging on Pokemon Black 1 with less than 6 badges
Putting off Skyward Sword
Grinding away at Hyrule Warriors

That Mega Man X shirt I bought just before last LoS got me in the mood for setting up my SNES again for MMX1.
Otherwise MMX4.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush

Make the pain go away.

MVD: Diddy not even that good, just DI the throw
>DI behind guaranteed Fair/bair
>DI Up, help him kill you earlier with frame 3 gigantic hitbox Uair by holding up hoping to mindgame and avoid bair/fair after DI'ing behind him and almost die at 70%
>15th heaviest in game

Houston we have a problem

Last edited:

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
Bag's out of the cats. All videos have their description updated, tagged, thumbnailed, and organized into a playlist.

Replaying .hack//INFECTION
Borrowing FFXII and FFX-2
Lollygagging on Pokemon Black 1 with less than 6 badges
Putting off Skyward Sword
Grinding away at Hyrule Warriors

That Mega Man X shirt I bought just before last LoS got me in the mood for setting up my SNES again for MMX1.
Otherwise MMX4.
I never finished those .hack games but they were so cool. I only beat the first one of each series I think.

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Damn, I play like next to none next gen games. Iv been way to stuck in n64 and GameCube land lately.... I don't think iv bought a recent title since like halo 4

Nike.

Smash Hero
I want to ask everyone a few things regarding seeding for tmrw's weekly.

If Espy and SnorlaxPie500 don't enter tmrw and the rest of our top12 players did, this is how the bracket would look without any changes:

Obviously for any player who doesn't attend, everyone under him moves up a ranking and then reshuffled. Right off the bat I see that FunCrazyFish potentially playing K Prime in Winners Quarters doesn't seem right.

The other night I went through every Los Weekly bracket and created an excel sheet with everyone in the top14. This was mainly for seeding purposes towards the future. For example, some players have never played each other at a Los Weekly before but have played many others 938067059645 times (Castro and Paw as an example). That's something I hope to avoid in the future (at least for winners bracket). Also made this just because I find it fun.

Our top14

Red = have not played at a Los Weekly
Green = Have played only once

Here is another version, but without the "Elite 4" and records listed at the end:

I'll probably never alter the top4 seeds at a Los Weekly unless all 4 players were cool with it. Other than that, If there's a matchup that players would prefer (or would like to avoid completely for reasons) then please share. I'm always trying to cater to what people want so let me know.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I also have a questions regarding payouts. Currently payouts are:

1st: 50%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 20%
4th: $5 back

Payouts were altered from the normal 60/30/10 back when we first started because we weren't quite how many entrants we'd be getting. I'm dead set on paying out to 4th place, but if there was a small turnout then there was a chance that 3rd place could make less than $5. To compensate for this, I took 10% from first and added it to 3rd place so that we'd never run into this issue. Remember, we're only paying out 50% of the overall pot so payouts aren't as high.

However, the weeklies are growing. The current payout percentages may be out of date. Proposals?

Last edited:

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Supporting Omni is supporting cancer. :applejack:
Why?

And @ Nike, why would the seeding change compared to the ranking system in place? Isn't that the whole point of points?
If someone's seeding is incorrect, it'll change over the course of the season, but you probably shouldn't make exceptions when it's a simple matter of 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I want to avoid Paw and Sylveon cuz ZSS and Sheik isn't fun for me -v-
But also what Austin said kinda.

As for payouts, I suggested the past weekly or two to payout for top 6 maybe since we've been getting 30+ since LoS3 (oddly enough when we started getting a stream/recording set up)
Especially for 1-9 weekly being 55, the biggest yet. Not saying we'll be getting more and more, but we're so far averaging 35 people every weekly now.

HarvstootH

Smash Cadet
NNID
Quincy.Dippy
****ing ****, I really don't want to fight Valdens. And even less enticing to battle Megafox if I win. But... ****, man, when am I gonna get an opportunity like this again? I gotta play the hand I'm dealt.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
To be fair with the excel sheets, some of those cases happening (paw vs castro 4 times, but castro against megafox has also happened 4 times) is cause castro paw jopan incendiary etc. have gone to every weekly or almost every weekly.
Jopan oddly enough not going last week was a big surprise for a lot of us. We'll most likely say the same thing once castro or Incendiary doesn't go to one of em.

Also random but our 1-9 weekly was 1 entrant away from being bigger than SAM 2.

As for the whole FCF and prime issue, oh well. FCF could be higher but real life stuff before smash. This could've been avoided if he went to more tournaments, but he's gotta climb up. He'll either lose or win against K prime, then if he loses he'll go up against either sylveon/valdens next and eventually incendiary or HM for this example. Gotta beat the people above him to get better seeding in the future tho

Last edited:

Nike.

Smash Hero
And @ Nike, why would the seeding change compared to the ranking system in place? Isn't that the whole point of points?
If someone's seeding is incorrect, it'll change over the course of the season, but you probably shouldn't make exceptions when it's a simple matter of 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3.
As far as changing seeds because of skill, FunCrazyFish is the only thing that affects this at all. I haven't made an exception to it but that's mainly why I put it out in the open to see how others feel about it.

I'll pretend that I'm the number 8 player in the city. In winners quarters, I'd play Megafox. Now, unless I move up/down in the rankings (some players dont move for weeks) then I'd be projected to play Megafox at every weekly. If this were me, that would get old fast. If I had never played against Espy/Kprime/Santi in winners bracket because of this, I'd probably like a change of some sort.

I do currently leave the seeds as they are and simply move around lower level players so that they don't play the same people they came with in the first/second round. But yea, I'm just gauging feedback.

I want to avoid Paw and Sylveon cuz ZSS and Sheik isn't fun for me -v-
But also what Austin said kinda.
Die.

As for payouts, I suggested the past weekly or two to payout for top 6 maybe since we've been getting 30+ since LoS3 (oddly enough when we started getting a stream/recording set up)
Especially for 1-9 weekly being 55, the biggest yet. Not saying we'll be getting more and more, but we're so far averaging 35 people every weekly now.
Because we only use 50% of the overall pot, extending payouts to top6 isn't an option. Otherwise, the money would be stretched too thin. If we used 100% of the pot then yea.
As for the whole FCF and prime issue, oh well. FCF could be higher but real life stuff before smash. This could've been avoided if he went to more tournaments, but he's gotta climb up. He'll either lose or win against K prime, then if he loses he'll go up against either sylveon/valdens next and eventually incendiary or HM for this example. Gotta beat the people above him to get better seeding in the future tho
I agree.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Not too sure what the payout question is asking then.
At the end of the day, the people in top 10 are fighting for the weekly half pot of what we currently have but also more of just trying to keep points up to participate in the top 10 tournament where the real money's at.

Also Megafox just gonna keep winning it all anyways :3
If you wanna give more money to him or less, it's your choice.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The top 6 payout feels more right when there's 45+ entrants at tournaments (if that continues, but with 3 or so people not attending tomorrow might not happen, maybe?), if there's less than 40 it can stay top 3 basically but 4th getting his 5 back.
Don't think Top 4 would be too sad getting 5 or 10 less mulah

Funcrazyfish

Smash Cadet
I feel kinda bad but also surprised I skew the seeding so much, but getyi g to tournaments is much easier for me now. I agree with Slush though, I'll just have to beat Kprime, and it's not a matter that I can't beat him, it's just a matter of when. I don't want free points, I have to earn my top 10 spot.

SnorlaxPie500

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap. I'm such a scrub if I go ten sets against megafox without stealing one. Also, Kprime and my records don't match in this graph.

I would pay out 50/30/20 and $5 for fourth. I would go 60/30/10 and $5 for fourth around 45 entrants so the difference between 3/4 would still be at least double. But I don't have an issue if it stays 50/30/20 and money back for fourth. If anything you could increase payout to fourth if you were worried about player retention.

FCF playing Kprime in quarters is fair. When you look at alternatives I really don't think there is a reasonable switch to be made with FCF.

I am not against allowing other players to meet in bracket.Switching up seeding will increase the variance just because matchups play a crucial role in this game.And some characters will give trouble to others. You will see "upsets" probably. If you were to do this, I would do it halfway through the season to give time for players to recover points lost to a lower seed player. And I wouldn't just do it once. I would do it every week in the second half of the season of allowing matchups to be played that haven't already.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Announcing Peel's Hump Night Smashfests

These are the most epic smashfests in SA. Get some great practice with some of the best players in the city like SP500. Or boost your ego by playing against one of the worst, me. Relish in watching the saltiness grow in SP500, as he inevitably gets teamed with me in doubles. Partake in making videos trying to showcase why diddy isnt a broken character. And so much more!

Premium seating is limited, RSVP now!

Time: every Wednesday 8:45 - 1:00 am
Location: up 281 off TPC parkway (technically within city limits!)

Last edited:

Jopan1026

Smash Cadet
I think paying out to top 6 and not saving 50% for some final thing is better assuming there is large turnouts to these. However, my opinion means little seeing as I just starting going to these sort of things. Just, in my view, people like the top 4 place so consistently that all that does is give them the money they would have earned already later. And assuming the idea was to payout all of the top 10 at the los final, I think most of the top 10 have placed 6 or higher before whether that be because they were having a good day or because players above them didn't show up, so they would get to see money more often.

Anyways, that said, I don't play for the money and would also say making the weeklies cheaper would be good for turnout. I know it can get expensive for some people.

As for the seeding thing, I don't really care too much. I guess it's good to mix it up, but some of the matchups were shocking, but I guess that's part of getting better and learning the matchups.

Geoberos

NNID
Geoberos
As far as I've been in, $5 has always been the cheapest considering our Brawl days. $10 for our average tourneys where some OoCs decide to drop by (Pik-a-Niks, Sanantonio Loves Unpredictable Tournaments, Steakfests, Nikefests), $5 for our local tourneys as small as what Big Boss hosts.

True being a weekly, it will put a strain on the money. However you don't have to attend every single one (and burn yourself out). Attending half of them is needed for the finals anyways, so it might as well be a Bi-Weekly, though those attending every single one of them will have the opportunity to earn more points. Well ****, now it sounds like a pay-to-win strat.

But I'm also under the assumption that in the finals the Top 10 are paid out. And honestly that's the way competitive scenes work out. There's just players with that skill gap and it's a challenge to keep up. And I'm there in the lower half of the caste and it's a struggle to win soundly against even half of y'all.

Also @ Nike. Nike. looks like you forgot to add the link to the Twitch icon on Post #2.

Top Bottom