• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Brawl Thread: "K Prime's a ******" - Paw, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Are there vids of megafox from that past tourney?
Yeah, he got a good bit. Just search "Megafox fox" and look for his most recent uploads. A bunch are on Gova's channel, nickpado. And I think Nike's channel has some.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Finally someone agrees the PR is kinda' useless. XD

Although, he's just doing it because it'll be ponies. I propose you do the last PR, then no more.

And guys, don't be so hard on Nike for last night. He was with an Asian-lady friend. :D

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I try my very best, Zigsta.

People put different values on the PR. Some don't care whatsoever (Paw, Suspect, Max10n), while others literally feed off of it as motivation for improvement. Just look at the Texas PR thread; here and there, you'll find posts concerning players who desire to move up in these "useless" rankings.

It's a great tool for encouraging activity, and I don't see how it would reasonably discourage anyone from participating, so there's really no harm done in the process at all. In that regard, I'd think it'd be pretty ignorant or naive to call it "useless".

But that's just how I feel about it.

Suspect

Smash Hero
People are just different, look at the SF scene. I dont see any power rankings and that scene is extremely active. Like I said before, its common sense, you dont need a pr to know who is "better" it just helps keep track of better placings...when winning is all that counts.

If you're not placing in the money then it really doesn't matter if you got 7th or 14th to me.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I try my very best, Zigsta.

People put different values on the PR. Some don't care whatsoever (Paw, Suspect, Max10n), while others literally feed off of it as motivation for improvement. Just look at the Texas PR thread; here and there, you'll find posts concerning players who desire to move up in these "useless" rankings.

It's a great tool for encouraging activity, and I don't see how it would reasonably discourage anyone from participating, so there's really no harm done in the process at all. In that regard, I'd think it'd be pretty ignorant or naive to call it "useless".

But that's just how I feel about it.
I like this post a lot.
I used to not care about the PR as much, either of them, but when I was given the worse player in Texas I was extremely upset.
I am using it as motivation to not be last anymore.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Understand that I never said that it was necessary to have a Power Ranking.

Let me ask you something: What if 7th and 14th DID place in the money? Would it matter then? If so, why, since they didn't technically "win", unless you consider being rewarded any value of money to be "winning".

Above that, Power Rankings have a major additional use other than helping to "keep track of better placings". Seedings would be entirely subjective and varying from TO to TO when it comes to tournaments. Power Rankings are absolute in that they award the players with the higher performances over a period of time the proper seedings.

If you do outstanding in tournaments that count towards the PR, you get a higher placement. If you get a higher placement, you get a better seeding. Sounds like a good deal, doesn't it? It'd be a bummer not to get the appropriate seeding in a tournament just because of some preemptive judgment calls on your skills because of the lack of a PR.

If you wanted to make a case against systems like Zac's, then you would only be able to argue about the system's structure at that point. The end result rankings on his system are deadly accurate and consistent with tournament performances since he began the project, so arguing about "x being higher than y" would be extremely difficult.

==========

Again, sure, PRs aren't a necessity to help a community strive, but they are an effective way to accurately organize players in a utilitarian format without causing issues about who should be seeded above who between different regions or cities.

In that way, again, it's just silly to call them "useless".

==========

Oh, and no PR system in Street Fighter 4? That's just silly. There's online rankings everywhere!! Just because they don't use them doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Above that, Power Rankings have a major additional use other than helping to "keep track of better placings". Seedings would be entirely subjective and varying from TO to TO when it comes to tournaments. Power Rankings are absolute in that they award the players with the higher performances over a period of time the proper seedings.

If you do outstanding in tournaments that count towards the PR, you get a higher placement. If you get a higher placement, you get a better seeding. Sounds like a good deal, doesn't it?
That right there. Seeding top10 for locals is alot simpler with a PR.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
And no one can honestly complain within reason, since the seedings are directly correlated with tournament performance.

Suspect

Smash Hero
lmfao at online rankings. You know what I mean

And if 7th or 14th got money, to me as long as a person profits then yea. If I payed say $100 to travel to a tournament and got 7th winning $400 id be happy with that and would considered my trip not wasted. Competitive gaming to me is nothing a but a hustle/business.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Understand that I never said that it was necessary to have a Power Ranking.

Let me ask you something: What if 7th and 14th DID place in the money? Would it matter then? If so, why, since they didn't technically "win", unless you consider being rewarded any value of money to be "winning".

If you do outstanding in tournaments that count towards the PR, you get a higher placement. If you get a higher placement, you get a better seeding. Sounds like a good deal, doesn't it? It'd be a bummer not to get the appropriate seeding in a tournament just because of some preemptive judgment calls on your skills because of the lack of a PR.

If you wanted to make a case against systems like Zac's, then you would only be able to argue about the system's structure at that point. The end result rankings on his system are deadly accurate and consistent with tournament performances since he began the project, so arguing about "x being higher than y" would be extremely difficult.

==========

Again, sure, PRs aren't a necessity to help a community strive, but they are an effective way to accurately organize players in a utilitarian format without causing issues about who should be seeded above who between different regions or cities.

In that way, again, it's just silly to call them "useless".

==========

Oh, and no PR system in Street Fighter 4? That's just silly. There's online rankings everywhere!! Just because they don't use them doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Stealing post.

brb getting mod/bbr

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
The reason why i don't care anymore is because in the end, i'm fighting against 6 people for a spot. The top 4 are set, and the rest of us fight for the rest. At first i really wanted to get on the PR and place high, but now that i've done that, I find it to be more or less useless. Useless in the way that I don't care what place i am on the PR because i'm still not going to be as high as those 4. Maybe if i beat Megafox/Nike/Espy/Prime, i'll care. but until then, i find that competing against the same people over and over for some spots that don't really matter, it's just boring and overdone. I'm not saying its not useful, for seeding and whatnot, but it just doesn't motivate me at all. This is just me btw, other people may still get motivated from it, and thats perfectly fine. But like, i know how i stand with the rest of SA, and i don't need a PR that comes out every month to tell me that. I care more about how i stand with the rest of Texas then i do the rest of SA.

Btw, this is not to say i'm not motivated to get to the skill level of those 4. I do, I really do, but the PR isn't motivation to get me there. It's just personal will to do so.

If that doesn't make sense, i'm having a hard time putting it into words. so yeah.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Stealing post.

brb getting mod/bbr
...what?

lmfao at online rankings. You know what I mean

And if 7th or 14th got money, to me as long as a person profits then yea. If I payed say $100 to travel to a tournament and got 7th winning $400 id be happy with that and would considered my trip not wasted. Competitive gaming to me is nothing a but a hustle/business.
Okay, it's a business.

Now, how many major, successful businesses do you see today that lack a large-scale system of organization? Because that's exactly what a PR is.

PR

We demoralize
I am using it as motivation to not be last anymore.
PR

We encourage.

=====

@Paw: You DO realize that you're saying that you both do and don't care about PRs, right?

Also, with an attitude like that, I'm not really surprised that you don't care. You're defeating yourself before you even try.

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
i care about the top 4, thats about it. How am i defeating myself? lol. I'm not giving up. If anything, i'm trying harder then most people.

just change the pr to top 5, then maybe i would care about the pr.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
i care about the top 4, thats about it. How am i defeating myself? lol. I'm not giving up. If anything, i'm trying harder then most people.
If you don't care anymore, then you've given up.

You want to know how to improve your chances, right? Here's a tip: Fine those among the top four players you are the most comfortable dealing with in tournament.

Find out what seeding you would need in order to deal with those players over the ones that give you a hard time.

Generally speaking, higher seeding means the difficulty won't spike in your brackets until a few rounds into the tournament. You're more likely to fight 4th or 3rd seed as a 5th/6th seed than you are to fight 1st and 2nd seed (could be wrong here. I still get confused on seedings sometimes). If you are more comfortable with fighting 3rd and 4th, then 5th/6th is something you should fight for your life over.

If you're giving up on 5th seed (which you have already stated), then you really don't care to reach that top 4 mark, since getting that 5th spot helps you inch closer to that goal. Every little jump matters.

Remember, almost every player that's ever played this game started out as a bottom seed.

If you don't care about your PR place between 5th-10th, you're honestly only hurting yourself.

=====

As to your edit, not sure I'm willing to do that just to have +1 person care. Nike might like the idea, though.

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
im not saying i dont care about 5-10, im saying i don't need a PR to tell me how i do against the rest of SA. I would, however, like a bigger goal, which is why i would want a top 5 PR.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
im not saying i dont care about 5-10, im saying i don't need a PR to tell me how i do against the rest of SA. I would ,however, like a bigger goal, which is why i would want a top 5 PR.
If you say so.

=====

In any case, just do what you want.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
True that, Gova. It's a shame that so many people are apathetic to things like this.
San Antonio is privileged to even have this opportunity.

@Paw: I just realized that you said you want a Top 5 so you can justify becoming motivated.
C'mon dude, I know you're better than this.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I hear what Paw is saying.

Btw Espy, here's how seeding usually goes.

Second round of 32 man bracket (or third round of 64 man bracket)

Winners Quarters

Winners Semis
Basically, if your a top6 seed, You wouldn't have to play anyone on the PR til winners quarters. 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9 happen in the second round of a 32 man bracket. This is why it's super important to aim for at least a 6th seed on all PR updates.

Obv we use the TXPR for out of towners.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Thanks Nike. I fired up TIO and seeded it with 1-16 as player names to see how it works a few minutes ago as well. That's why I changed the 5th seed in my explanation with 5th/6th.

Suspect

Smash Hero
It takes a pr to encourage instead of the simple fact that a player keeps losing.

GETTING LAST PLACE AND LOSING TO EVERYONE MEANT NOTHING UNTIL THE POWER RANKING SAID YOU SUGG AND ARE LAST

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Espy, don't go there with me. lmao

I think the PR is a good thing, but I said from the get-go that spots 6-10 weren't that important. That's my point.

However, like Nike said, it's needed for seeding, and that's all I needed to hear. Good enough reason for me to do it.

I just find the whole thing silly, that's all. Don't jump on us because we don't care about someone getting ranked 8th as much as who's 1st through 3rd. :(

And don't say Paw's given up on getting better at Brawl because of that. :(

PR's serve a purpose, and more power to people for making them. I'm a sports fan. Playoffs anyone?

I just think the concept of making a PR for San Antonio go 10 people deep is like making a PR for one division of a sports league. Sure you can do it, but it's really unimportant in a way.

What I'd like to see, and think would be more useful, is a Win-Loss deal of sorts. Now that would be badass. Not only would you see who wins more often, you'd be able to see who they've won against with proper notation.

Vs. Top 10 in SA?
Vs. E Tier or higher in TX?

That's relevant information in my book.

Just please don't get that confused and act all indignant about the PR mattering. Nike's data holds the most true, for seeding, go for Top 6. I love that.

And I'm not talking about a PR for motivation. I'm talking about what a PR means logically. Get your motivation wherever you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom