• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Weight

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
She thicc, I was shocked when I was testing to see if Samus/Dark Samus weights were different. Highest Kill %s I've seen yet during these tests.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Such an odd choice for Ridley. Perhaps Sakurai envisions him as having hollow bones.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
She thicc, I was shocked when I was testing to see if Samus/Dark Samus weights were different. Highest Kill %s I've seen yet during these tests.
Says Samus' weight is still 108 like it was in Sm4sh. Top of the Heavyweights tier just below Super Heavyweight.

Only fighters listed as heavier are:
- Bowser
- King K. Rool
- Donkey Kong
- King Dedede
- Ganondorf
- Charizard (wat?!)
- Incineroar

Have you tested any of them yet?

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Says Samus' weight is still 108 like it was in Sm4sh. Top of the Heavyweights tier just below Super Heavyweight.

Only fighters listed as heavier are:
- Bowser
- King K. Rool
- Donkey Kong
- King Dedede
- Ganondorf
- Charizard (wat?!)
- Incineroar

Have you tested any of them yet?
Nope, most of my tests were on Mewtwo and Characters with clones to figure out if there was any differences. Making a weight chart was not my intention and sure enough a proper one came out!
What's so shocking about Charizard being up there? He's big.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Such an odd choice for Ridley. Perhaps Sakurai envisions him as having hollow bones.
I imagine it might have to do with gameplay balancing or his air mobility. Particularly, his extra jumps and such. Since he's supposed to be able to fly, having him be too heavy would make that a little awkward.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Nope, most of my tests were on Mewtwo and Characters with clones to figure out if there was any differences. Making a weight chart was not my intention and sure enough a proper one came out!
What's so shocking about Charizard being up there? He's big.
Charizard is 5'07", 199lbs.
That's about the same weight as ZSS and a foot shorter than her. Definitely smaller than Mewtwo by like 60lbs. Plus his source game base stats are built around speed and attack with low defense. He's not a heavy or a grappler or anything. He's supposed to be a lean, fast, offensive fighter. The Smash variant just doesn't match his source game archetype. He's only a "heavy" because he was the heaviest compared to Squirtle and Ivysaur in Brawl, by virtue of being the only fully evolved starter.

I imagine it might have to do with gameplay balancing or his air mobility. Particularly, his extra jumps and such. Since he's supposed to be able to fly, having him be too heavy would make that a little awkward.
Dedede can fly and has even more jumps I think. It might have to do with attack and air speed compared to other heavies probably.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Charizard is 5'07", 199lbs.
That's about the same weight as ZSS and a foot shorter than her. Definitely smaller than Mewtwo by like 60lbs. Plus his source game base stats are built around speed and attack with low defense. He's not a heavy or a grappler or anything. He's supposed to be a lean, fast, offensive fighter. The Smash variant just doesn't match his source game archetype. He's only a "heavy" because he was the heaviest compared to Squirtle and Ivysaur in Brawl, by virtue of being the only fully evolved starter.

Dedede can fly and has even more jumps I think. It might have to do with attack and air speed compared to other heavies probably.
Yeah but he's a huge 1ton beast in Smash "scale".

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Canonically, the top 7 would likely be . . .

1. Ridley
  2. Bowser (size and mass fluctuates, but let's work with the typical size and mass)
  3. King K. Rool (presumably heavier than DK)
  4. Donkey Kong (800 lbs.)
  5. Bowser Jr. (with the clown car)
  6. Samus Aran (304 lbs.; assm. height is 5'3" outside her armor and her armor is 198 lbs.)
  7. Ganondorf (178 lbs.)

I used Hamwi's method for Ganondorf and Samus.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
The manual shows Samus in her armor, so I don't have any reason to think that's her outside of her armor.
Right next to that picture the manual has this big bold bright red header that says "WITHOUT THE POWER SUIT".
Below that there's this whole detailed paragraph that describes Samus. It says, and I quote, "The power suit hides a strong muscular woman. Samus is nearly 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighs nearly 200 pounds."

Then below that is another big bold bright red header where it actually says:
"PERSONAL DATA".
"HEIGHT: 6', 3"
"WEIGHT: 198lbs."

So that's why I think that's her outside of her armor.

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Oh, you're going all the way back to the older, less detailed little booklet from Metroid II on the Gameboy.

I'm going off the newer, more detailed official Super Metroid Players' Guide by Nintendo for the main line console Metroid game of the entire decade.

https://archive.org/details/Nintendo_Players_Guide_SNES_Super_Metroid_1994
http://melaniff.com/melaniff/nintendo_files/Nintendo_Players_Guide_Super_Metroid_1994.pdf

"The complete Player's Guide to Super Metroid - straight from the pros at Nintendo"
"Official Nintendo Seal of Quality"

Even if we assume both documents were official and correct, the one I'm referencing is the most recently updated and detailed canon description of Samus herself without the suit.

Attachments

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Downshift Downshift
The current data of Samus clearly demonstrates the incorrect interpretation of the RoS manual from which you cite. Manuals are the original sources, not some Nintendo guide that's dependent on the source.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo doesn't always have the best record of being consistent with their canon.
Show me an Official Nintendo source that's more recent that the Official Nintendo source I referenced and I'll believe you.

Txukasa

Smash Rookie
Metroid: Other M.
Dont you speak that blasphemy in here! We don't mention that game. (While we are on the subject, I would not consider that game to be an accurate source, considering in many, many ways samus is not represented as the character she is in the majority of her games.) I have to agree with the other guy, I've always known samus to be 6'3 and 200ish lbs. 5'7 is waaaaay too short. Also a person at 5'7 @ 200 lbs looks way different than a 6'3 person with 200 lbs.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Dont you speak that blasphemy in here! We don't mention that game. (While we are on the subject, I would not consider that game to be an accurate source, considering in many, many ways samus is not represented as the character she is in the majority of her games.) I have to agree with the other guy, I've always known samus to be 6'3 and 200ish lbs. 5'7 is waaaaay too short. Also a person at 5'7 @ 200 lbs looks way different than a 6'3 person with 200 lbs.
It's canon, regardless of how you feel about it. Your long held belief about Samus doesn't make a difference here. I used 5'3" for Samus' height and came up with 106 lbs. based on the Hamwi method. This would be 100 lbs.+ 2 lb/in(x in. - 60 in.) 5'3" is 63 in., so 63 in. - 60 in. is 3 in. 100 lbs. + 2 lb/in(3 in.) Is 100 lbs. + 6 lbs., which is 106 lbs. The suit is 198 lbs., so that totals to 304 lbs. when Samus is in the armor.

Txukasa

Smash Rookie
It's canon, regardless of how you feel about it. Your long held belief about Samus doesn't make a difference here. I used 5'3" for Samus' height and came up with 106 lbs. based on the Hamwi method. This would be 100 lbs.+ 2 lb/in(x in. - 60 in.) 5'3" is 63 in., so 63 in. - 60 in. is 3 in. 100 lbs. + 2 lb/in(3 in.) Is 100 lbs. + 6 lbs., which is 106 lbs. The suit is 198 lbs., so that totals to 304 lbs. when Samus is in the armor.
Nothing in the metroid universe tends to stay constant so I think i'll go with the Super metroid Official guide on this one until nintendo says otherwise:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Nothing in the metroid universe tends to stay constant so I think i'll go with the Super metroid Official guide on this one until nintendo says otherwise:
If it doesn't stay constant, then why stick with a 1994 Nintendo guide? Go with the updated information.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Metroid: Other M.
When you used Metroid II as a source, you specifically pointed out the diagram of her suit in the gameboy game's instruction booklet. You didn't just say "Metroid II".
So why are you now just saying "Metroid Other M" instead of posting a diagram or screenshot from official documentation?

Are you just guesstimating based on how tall she looks compared to other things we also have no official measurements on? You only need to look at the above images of Samus' size vs the wildly varying sizes of Ridley and Mother Brain to know that's a laughably arbitrary method of measurement at best.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
When you used Metroid II as a source, you specifically pointed out the diagram of her suit in the gameboy game's instruction booklet. You didn't just say "Metroid II".
So why are you now just saying "Metroid Other M" instead of posting a diagram or screenshot from official documentation?

Are you just guesstimating based on how tall she looks compared to other things we also have no official measurements on? You only need to look at the above images of Samus' size vs the wildly varying sizes of Ridley and Mother Brain to know that's a laughably arbitrary method of measurement at best.
I'm not at fault for your failure to notice the manual was from Metroid II: Return of Samus. Not that this is relevant anyway, since it doesn't detract from the source itself. You asked for a more recent source, so I cited Metroid: Other M. I'm not guesstimating. Samus is short outside her armor. Rips of the models, as well as Samus' platform boots supports this notion. Good thing I didn't use Mother Brain or Ridley's size as a method of measurement.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman

I'm not at fault for your failure to notice the manual was from Metroid II: Return of Samus. Not that this is relevant anyway, since it doesn't detract from the source itself. You asked for a more recent source, so I cited Metroid: Other M. I'm not guesstimating. Samus is short outside her armor. Rips of the models, as well as Samus' platform boots supports this notion. Good thing I didn't use Mother Brain or Ridley's size as a method of measurement.
You did NOT state your source was from Metroid II; I did that. You falsely called it "the manual", when in fact it's called "the Instruction Booklet". So you saying I failed to notice something that I actually pointed out before you ever did is 100% false.
You're being argumentative and defensive while I'm trying to clarify your sources to ensure they're quantitative and official. This wouldn't be hard for you if you would just produce your official quantitative source information.

You referenced the Metroid II game manual. That's an official source, and you specifically referenced a page in that manual with a diagram showing the Varia Suit and actual quantifiable measurements.
Official. Canon. Quantitative. So like I already granted you, that's also a legitimate source.

However I referenced a newer, larger official Nintendo canon document for Super Metroid / Metroid 3. That document not only had actual measurements in numerical format, but also a detailed paragraph specifying that this description was of Samus without her suit.
Official. Canon. Descriptive. Quantitative. More recent than your source, which is why it supersedes your outdated source.

So then you mention Metroid: Other M as a "newer source", but neglected to provide anything quantitative other than "She looks short". Nothing from the Other M Instruction Manual, no screenshots of a Samus profile shot in-game, no in-game clips with audio of someone talking about how tall she is. Nothing.
Official, but not descriptive and especially not quantitative.
You also didn't compare her height to anything else that could possibly be canonically measured against like Adam or her ship. You stated there are rips of the models, but still didn't post those official canon measurements of those in feet/inches. No one's going take you at your word on any of this. You saying, "Samus just looks like she's 5'3" outside her armor" means nothing on its own when anyone else can just say "Samus looks like she's 6'3" outside her armor." Everything is just relative and opinion until someone actually produces an official measurement, which you have yet to do with this example.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Downshift Downshift
Careful there. I will not be accused of falsehood, and I will not allow to be treated as though I was being deceptive. Instruction booklet, manual, it makes no difference. If you interpreted "manual" a different way, then perhaps you should have asked for clarification. I've always referred to the instruction booklets as manuals because it's simpler to type, and because a manual tends to have instructions anyway. But, you did receive a link from me, so where is this falsehood you accuse me of?

I gave you the RoS manual and Metroid: Other M. I noted the rips from the games, which show a stark contrast in height, as well as the platform boots. The guide you referenced is from 1994, hardly a recent source. Not to mention it takes such information from the RoS manual. In other words, it offers nothing new, except one's own interpretation of the RoS manual. To call the RoS manual outdated is to concede that your source is no better. And it isn't because it wasn't made by Yoshio Sakamoto.

You have either ignored my information or your mental falculties aren't sharp. I'll be charitable and assume the former. I didn't merely say Samus looks short. Samus was teased by being given kid gloves, something no 1.9 m. tall woman would ever wear, nor need. Unless the critics are right and the game is sexist. Rips of Samus in and out of her armor show a stark contrast in height, something missing in the Prime series where Samus is the same height in and out of her armor. Samus wears platform boots.

You wanting an exact measurement is just that, but it doesn't change anything. I'll go with the updated version while you continue to fervently believe in some 1994 guide not even made by the developers of RoS. You don't need exact measurements when you can observe with your own eyes that something or someone is taller or shorter. And if size changes throughout the series, then why even bother with this discussion?

Side-by-side size comparisons

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking about your post in here, Post #11 where you only state "The manual shows Samus in her armor, so I don't have any reason to think that's her outside of her armor." You didn't post your link to said manual until AFTER I quoted my source.

The cover of the Metroid II Game boy "manual" you refer to only says "Instruction Booklet" (go back and look at your own linked source cover image). You were straight up inaccurate in your description of which "manual" you were referring to, so yes you are at fault for anyone's failure to notice "the manual" was from Metroid II: Return of Samus.
Not implying any nefarious motivation behind it on your part, but you incorrectly described the booklet you were referring to and therefore cannot hold anyone else responsible for not guessing correctly.

Downshift Downshift
You wanting an exact measurement is just that, but it doesn't change anything. I'll go with the updated version while you continue to fervently believe in some 1994 guide not even made by the developers of RoS. You don't need exact measurements when you can observe with your own eyes that something or someone is taller or shorter.
So the only way you can be right here is if you dismiss that measurements matter? What does that tell you?
From the very onset of this topic, we've been talking about exact numerical measurements, whether it's weight units in Smash Bros, or feet/inches in Metroid canon.

Nothing anyone has found thus far states Samus is 5'3" like you claim. Your source stating the Varia suit is 6'3" is superseded by the newer OFFICIAL source updating that to state that Samus herself is 6'3", direectly specifying the description is of Samus herself. This is what you're ignoring because it proves your information both outdated, vague and unquantifiable. The Super Metroid guide is not outdated and things are automatically outdated simply because of their age. Official documents are only rendered outdated when a newer source or document is officially published that directly refutes and updates information asserted in the previous document. You can argue that an Official Nintendo guide is not an Official Nintendo guide all you want, doesn't change the fact that it's an Official Nintendo guide. If I had cited a Prima guide you might have a point, but alas.

Why do measurements matter?
Because all those images show for certain is that in Other M, there is a greater height difference between Samus and the suit. That means that either Samus is shorter than 6'3", *OR* that the suit is taller than 6'3". Both can be true. How do you not get that this is all relative?
Since the most updated hard measurement we have on either states Samus is the one that's 6'3", that means the suit is that much taller. The only way for you to refute that possibility is to give an official source stating how tall the empty Varia suit is that's more recent than Super Metroid.
These model images alone prove nothing.

Finally, since you still haven't cited your source for those ripped model images, what guarantee do any of us have that you didn't just scale down Samus' Other M model to only appear shorter than the Prime model? If you look at the models, Prime Samus' head is a lot larger than Other M Samus', meaning that their bodily proportions are nearly identical. If you know anything about biology you know human skull size doesn't vary that much among adults based only on height. Not saying you did that at all, but you need to understand that these refutations are valid and are only quelled by quantitative numerical measurements from updated official sources.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Downshift Downshift
I don't require a specific height. I only assumed 5'3" because it's an average height for women. This thread is about weight. I used height to determine weight, but only for that reason. Samus could be 5'1" or 5'9" for all I care. The Figma statues for Samus, as well as Ganondorf have been used by others and have asserted such are scaled properly. I don't know the validity of this, but it doesn't matter.

You keep mentioning a new source, but I've only seen a 1994 guide from you. That's not new by any stretch of the imagination. It's outdated because MOM shows Samus as a shorter woman who wears platform boots. You may say that the suit may be taller, but then you'd have to prove it. Merely asserting it wouldn't be enough, especially since your 1994 guide shows Samus without platform boots while inside the suit.

Given that Samus requires platform boots for her to stand in the armor at all, this makes your assumption dubious. As for those rips, others before me have brought this up. I didn't rip those models, and I doubt others I don't even know have any intent on intentionally siding with me. But, since Metroid: Samus Returns is a reimagining of RoS, here's no reason to think that the RoS manual has any merit anymore. And since the guide relied on the RoS manual, I have still no reason to agree with it.

I'm done here, though. You clearly lack any charitability, since you continue to treat me as some nefarious person hell-bent on being right no matter the cost.

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Downshift Downshift
you continue to treat me as some nefarious person hell-bent on being right no matter the cost.
Nah.
Not implying any nefarious motivation behind it on your part
My only point is that without actual measurements or official numbers, any assertions are all relative, opinionated and speculatory. That's how you devolve into those "Goku would beat Superman in a fight" type of BS discussions with no real answer.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you're guesstimating. Using the average height for women, Hamwi's method, etc. You can say Samus is 5'3", but if anyone else says "No she's 6'3"", all you can do is say "I just don't agree".

If you're fine with leaving it at that, so am I.

Last edited:
Top Bottom