• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus' up-b!

calmchaos

Smash Apprentice
I know kev is probably going to see this... BUT...

What the jiz do I do again Samus' Up-B. It seems to cancel almost anything I do.
Ive tried several laser>something approaches it seems to always beat my dtilt, dsmash, jab, and I really think it beats my laser>grab. (Am I wrong on that one?)

I just end up stuck spamming lasers and running around trying to think of something he won't expect.

I can crouch and then a quick tech off and stay on the ground but that just puts me back where I started; running around spamming SHL.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
grab out prioritizes every move in the game (assuming the grab hitbox is out. frames 1-6, no it wont help you). dont pillar samus' shield, and force her approach with lasers. if you want to attack her a bit, just hit and run and dont hang by her shield.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Duece: No
Sveet: Invulnerable Startup >>> Grab

Up-B spam owns Falco, pretty much guaranteed, it's one of the hardest tactics to get around. D-air to roll behind samus can be effective until they catch on, in which case you can go back to trying to pillar. Doubleshining is good too, but D-air+Single shine combos into Samus' Up-B lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
eww your right. i didnt realize there were invincibility frames, i thought it was just a ton of priority. checked my handy dandy frame list and from ground frames 1-5 are invincible (only 1-3 from air)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
techno, I'm pretty sure samus can still up-b out of shield against a doubleshine, but I may been wrong.

Samus is gay, just gay her back. Shoot lasers and make her approach. That's all I do, spam the **** out of them, make them go aerial where I can **** them with dair/bair or just keep them the **** away with ftilt. This is the least fun matchup in the entire game, it's boring and lame in every single way.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yea samus can upb out of shield even during multi shine. the reason is that since there is a frame or 2 where you can buff a roll, if you time it you can upb during those frames and since invincibility frame 1... it goes. not easy to do tho. 1-2 frame leeway.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
sorry i annoyed you with my samus at smashpocalypse mogwai lol. the upB is extremely good on falcon and pretty much stops any pillar or shine combo. however samus is bad going against a lasering falco when the platforms arent set up right, cause if they are i can simply homing missile to stop them

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
sorry i annoyed you with my samus at smashpocalypse mogwai lol. the upB is extremely good on falcon and pretty much stops any pillar or shine combo. however samus is bad going against a lasering falco when the platforms arent set up right, cause if they are i can simply homing missile to stop them
You didn't annoy me any more than any other Samus, I just hate the match. If I had gotten particularly annoyed, I would've played Sheik or CF.

Samus is always bad vs. a lasering Falco, that's what the match is supposed to be. Falco camps her to like, 200% then kills her with ftilt or something. There's always a way around platform missle tricks.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
The problem with most Falco players is they try to fight Samus like any other character: in-your-face pillaring.

This is the exact wrong strategy for Samus. Your general strategy is to apply sheild pressure on Samus without ever getting next to her. Do this by doing sh blasters back and forth near her, and occasionally stopping just out of f-tilt distance from her, and f-tilt. If you must aerial her shield, use a spaced (distant) nair.

If you feel technically capable of shine-grabbing, then you can get a lot more on Samus, but otherwise, space near her, and punish whatever she does. Don't pillar her shield.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
I know kev is probably going to see this... BUT...

What the jiz do I do again Samus' Up-B. It seems to cancel almost anything I do.
Ive tried several laser>something approaches it seems to always beat my dtilt, dsmash, jab, and I really think it beats my laser>grab. (Am I wrong on that one?)

I just end up stuck spamming lasers and running around trying to think of something he won't expect.

I can crouch and then a quick tech off and stay on the ground but that just puts me back where I started; running around spamming SHL.
yes, you predicted right, i am seeing this thread, lol.

the match is very gay, but yes, so far what phanna said is correct, there were times when you did those tactics against me, and they work, the only time i ever was able to take stocks from you was when you came in trying to pillar or you tried to apprach with a wrongly spaced aireal after lazers. but whenever you stayed back spamming lazers, and forced my to appraoch, you did better.

_kSo_

Smash Master
it's characters like samus and peach that make a lot of falco players want to pick up fox as well.

I don't think it's a bad idea. I picked up marth and that also solved a few of my samus/peach problems.

but in the long run, fox will help make your falco better, tech-wise.

and yes, pillaring = false when fighting samus

laser -> ftilt ftw

James Sparrow

Smash Master
As phanna said, space yourself from the up b, and don't let it own you. If you expect one coming, it's possible to tech it by holding down and pressing L. If you do that, you have a chance to punish the cooldown lag.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
it's characters like samus and peach that make a lot of falco players want to pick up fox as well.

I don't think it's a bad idea. I picked up marth and that also solved a few of my samus/peach problems.

but in the long run, fox will help make your falco better, tech-wise.

and yes, pillaring = false when fighting samus

laser -> ftilt ftw
I dunno, I hate the Fox vs. Samus matchup even more cause the laser control is non-existent and uthrow -> uair doesn't really work. Fox doesn't really help your Falco tech cause the timing is just different, at least that's what I've found, but whatever floats your boat. Sheik is a nicer 2ndary IMO, cause you really don't need much tech and if you're having an off day you can just switch to her and have almost no bad matchups, plus she's good vs. all of Falco's bad matchups.

As phanna said, space yourself from the up b, and don't let it own you. If you expect one coming, it's possible to tech it by holding down and pressing L. If you do that, you have a chance to punish the cooldown lag.
If they know what they're doing and land on a platform or fast fall it, it's still nonpunishable except by maybe a laser.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
well, he actually did start teching out of my up B a few times, but i still went unpunished after every one.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
If you feel technically capable of shine-grabbing, then you can get a lot more on Samus, but otherwise, space near her, and punish whatever she does. Don't pillar her shield.

LOL Only DaShizWiz Shine-grabs.

And me... but I don't even main Falco. Nor am I any good with him. XD

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I shine -> grab. I've been doing it for a long time too.

If you play a defensive Samus, or even one who likes to counter approaches with up+b, just pressure at mid distance with lasers so she can't counter with projectiles of her own, and try to bait the up+b and punish accordingly. Once you've conditioned them to stop, keep an eye out for her Nair. As long as you can keep Samus in the air though, you will have a much easier time dealing with her, as you can eliminate her crouch cancel options, which for me personally are the most difficult part of the match-up.

kobefox2485

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alfredo24pr
its a fast move, just use fake approach to punish him for doing a mistake. dont be scared by the attack because its mostly a mindgame, you dont get hit hard

_kSo_

Smash Master
I dunno, I hate the Fox vs. Samus matchup even more cause the laser control is non-existent and uthrow -> uair doesn't really work. Fox doesn't really help your Falco tech cause the timing is just different, at least that's what I've found, but whatever floats your boat. Sheik is a nicer 2ndary IMO, cause you really don't need much tech and if you're having an off day you can just switch to her and have almost no bad matchups, plus she's good vs. all of Falco's bad matchups.
Yes, the timing is different, but becoming fluent with fox will indeed help your fluidity with falco. Plus, fox is better against samus than falco is, at least in my experience. Maybe my fox is just better than my falco
:laugh:

Big_R

Smash Champion
Not if they up b before you shine...

Top Bottom