• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Tech

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
So I've decided that I'm going to main Samus. I haven't come across a really good Samus in my state yet, so as I enjoy Samus I figured I'd main. That being said, what is some Samus tech I should learn? I have used young link messing around with my friend around. So I'm somewhat familiar with grapple mechanics. I have basic tech down really well just as a side note.

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
SWD is key for Samus. Also extended and homing grapple are cool for mindgames, just remember to undo extended grapple when you take your opponent's stock.

LSSH | fish

Smash Rookie
To someone who's proficient in regards to the basic technical aspects of Melee like wave dashing and L-cancelling, I'd say the biggest thing to work on is the various types of missile techs, as well as grapple recoveries. Platform movement by means of wave landing is also something you should be quiet proficient at, since most of Samus' approach and defensive options that aren't tilt moves come in the form of neutral airs and back airs off of platforms. Since Samus' game is so neutral heavy, it's good to practice with a partner. Regarding the goofy technical moves like SWD and extender grab, its really up to you whether you want to incorporate it into your gameplay, and it's worth practicing for the few situations where they can be used effectively.

Smash Journeyman
SWD is key for Samus. Also extended and homing grapple are cool for mindgames, just remember to undo extended grapple when you take your opponent's stock.
........ what

Hemwick

Fox <3
Atlantic North
I'm a Fox main in that region but I've recently been working on Samus as a possible secondary. I have a group of netplay buddies I play with very frequently and if you're looking for people to practice with they'd probably be down to include you in the Discord channel. There's about 6 of us.

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
I'm a Fox main in that region but I've recently been working on Samus as a possible secondary. I have a group of netplay buddies I play with very frequently and if you're looking for people to practice with they'd probably be down to include you in the Discord channel. There's about 6 of us.
I would but I can't do netplay at this point in time ☹

bboss

Smash Journeyman
1. SWD is not key for Samus.
2. You can't "undo" an extended grapple.
uh actually it is if you ever want to be any good at Samus. Please show me a top player who doesn't SWD who achieves good tournament results.
2. You can, I read it in a Samus guide.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
SWD is key for Samus.
yeah ok sure as a top samus player I use this as my primary movement option
Also extended and homing grapple are cool for mindgames, just remember to undo extended grapple when you take your opponent's stock.
If your opponent is garbage and doesn't know how to move around, then yeah, this is a great option. Unfortunately, 99% of players know how to move, so this completely negates this choice. If you're talking about using it in between stocks, good luck getting it consistently.

Last edited:

Hemwick

Fox <3

bboss

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent is garbage and doesn't know how to move around, then yeah, this is a great option. Unfortunately, 99% of players know how to move, so this completely negates this choice. If you're talking about using it in between stocks, good luck getting it consistently.
I said it was cool for mindgames.

Literally all of them?
You still didn't name one.

You read it, but did you ever actually think to test it? You're argument is pretty **** dude. This is why your thread here got locked https://smashboards.com/threads/why-i-believe-in-god.445930/page-2#post-21695718
This has nothing to do with that thread. I completed my objective in that thread, to have a logical OP. And I did. Nobody provided any evidence against God. So I think I did pretty well in that thread.

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I said it was cool for mindgames.

You still didn't name one.

This has nothing to do with that thread. I completed my objective in that thread, to have a logical OP. And I did. Nobody provided any evidence against God. So I think I did pretty well in that thread.
ok let me add something useful.

Platform land cancelling missiles is essential for samus. Being able to shoot a powerful projectile that fast is meta for a character as campy as samus.

Now that we got that out of the way, swd is completely unviable. It takes way too may frames to execute and has just as many frames of cooldown. Grapple is good, as I stated before, if your opponent isn't moving. For example, esam vs triple r. Either way, it still takes tons of practice to master and even after, it remains inconsistent.

Last edited:

"Scorp"

Smash Rookie
So I've decided that I'm going to main Samus. I haven't come across a really good Samus in my state yet, so as I enjoy Samus I figured I'd main. That being said, what is some Samus tech I should learn? I have used young link messing around with my friend around. So I'm somewhat familiar with grapple mechanics. I have basic tech down really well just as a side note.
Serious answer because the discussion mostly seems to be whether SWD is viable or not

1. Don't use a standing grapple, pivot and dash grab. Samus is one of the few characters who's dash grab is much quicker than the standing grapple, so dashing is the least punishable.
2. Missile cancel - Easy to learn, hard to perfect. Make use of your homing missiles, they're excellent for gimping recoveries when used in combination with smash missiles. Missile cancel from ledge catches a lot off people off guard.
3. Rising grapples. The rising grapple is a staple for mixing recoveries, saving your chargeshot and when used under a ledge, can send you into a tumbling animation that gives you more options and less end lag than an UP+B (tech, aerial etc)
4. Stay grounded, if you watch Plup or Hugs play, they almost always waveland. Wavelanding is an essential part of your spacing and movement, practice on battlefield wavelanding across all platforms and the ground.
5. High laser powershields - Cucks who camp you out as Falco/Fox always shorthop laser, crouch and tap the shield button briefly before the laser hits. You'll find you can powershield with consistency using this method.
6. Practice your out of shield options. Your best (only?) 'get off me' move is your UP+B. Get into the habit of UP+B OOS as soon as someone gets too close. Bombs can sometimes suffice to get some breathing room, but they're slower and therefor more punishable. WD out of shield is essential for approaching a laser-happy Falco/Fox.
7. Not tech perse, but something I like to do is charge the chargeshot to 90% then stop. This is beneficial because you don't lose it if you're hit in your UP+B, your arm canon doesn't flash and let your opponent expect it coming, and a 90% chargeshot is just as effective as a 100% chargeshot in most applications.

There's other resources out there for more advanced tech if you search in the forum, but this is some easy stuff you should be able to pick up quickly.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
1. Don't use a standing grapple, pivot and dash grab. Samus is one of the few characters who's dash grab is much quicker than the standing grapple, so dashing is the least punishable.
Some slight nitpicks with this point--dash grab's startup is the same as standing grab's (18 frames), but it's less punishable because it has less end lag.

Also, "pivot grabbing" will give you a standing grab :p

Re: powershielding: I like to trigger trick one of my triggers (press it almost all the way down while plugging in / as I reset the controller), which doesn't let me lightshield on that trigger, but makes powershielding projectiles much easier (see https://www.ssbwiki.com/Powershield#2._Analog .)

Last edited:

wmd93

Smash Rookie
First off, spend some time working on samus' movement, especially between platforms. Second, make sure you've got her short hop and wave dash lengths figured out.
Then you can get her missile game down. Missiles aren't that great in most mus, but they have their uses, especially in edgeguards. Do it right and you can throw a couple of homings and a smash at a spacie, at least one should hit, and if not it zones their recovery options pretty well.
You're gonna wanna figure out how to shield drop eventually, not that it's samus specific. Really opens up her options.
Most important samus specific tech might be aerial interrupt. Guarantees a refresh from the ledge if not a full on return to neutral, depending on your opponent's coverage ability.

Don't worry about stuff like extender and SWD. Extender just makes her grab even worse, unless you're cheesing someone who's never seen it, and SWD is the most telegraphed thing in the world from across the stage, and you can usually get where you need to go with good wavedashing or even just running immediately toward your opponent. SWD is best as an escape out of the corner imo, especially when used on shield. Also fun to do baby super wavedashes out of bomb pressure on shield, but that's just wildly unnecessary when you could just not do multiple frame perfect inputs and have essentially the same result.

Top Bottom