• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus should not have high heels

Should Zero-suit Samus have high-heels?

• Yes

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • No high heels, if they can make her function like in Smash 4

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I don't care (at all)

Votes: 33 34.7%

• Total voters

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I play with items turned on, so yeah the Final Smash does matter to me. And I don't want to have to turn off the Smash Ball for when I use ZSS and have to turn it back on for a character with a Final Smash I like to use, like Super Sonic.
Okay. So. Followup question.

What about this change in Final Smash requires jet booster neon hooker heels?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I play with items turned on, so yeah the Final Smash does matter to me. And I don't want to have to turn off the Smash Ball for when I use ZSS and have to turn it back on for a character with a Final Smash I like to use, like Super Sonic. And I also collect Trophies and the Zero Suit Samus and Power Suit Samus trophies required me to play through Classic and All-Star as Zero Suit Samus. I don't think you can turn off items for Classic and All-Star, can you? And the same for regular Samus, I need to use her without transforming in Classic and All-Star to get the Samus and Zero Laser trophies. Last March, my Wii U died so I had to send it back to Nintendo for repairs. They fixed it, but they couldn't restore my save data so all my progress between 2010 and 2018 is gone and I had to start over with all of my Wii and Wii U games. At least I unlocked all the characters in Brawl and Wii U and I've completed both Classic and All-Star with Zero Suit Samus, but man I need to catch up on my old games. And in Brawl, I still need to go through Classic and All-Star with regular Samus and a whole lot of other characters that I cleared on my lost file. Thankfully, Zelda/Sheik and Pokémon Trainer is easy because I could just not use Down-B, and if I do by accident I can change back (though I would have to get three trophies for the Trainer). But Samus needing the Smash Ball to transform is bad and I'm glad Smash 4 removed that problem. Anyway, her jet heels give her a much better recovery than the tether and she does have an excuse with the whole heel having an exhaust port thing.
Holy ****, none of this is relevant to the conversation except for the first and last sentence.

To which I say:
Her having a new final smash has nothing to do with her new jet boots. She could easily have her new final smashes in both 4 and 5 without needing jet boots.

He JUST told you why he preferred the old recovery. Plus, she could very easily get a new recovery without jet boots.

She does not have an "excuse having an exhaust part thing," whatever that's supposed to mean

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Okay. So. Followup question.

What about this change in Final Smash requires jet booster neon hooker heels?
It doesn't. The forced change of character in the middle of the match is more of a concern than aesthetics in footwear.

No need to be dismissive of a legitimate complaint.

What if Bowser or Olimar suddenly got rocket powered neon yellow high heels out of nowhere for no benefit but an altered upB? I feel like their communities would carry a bit of a "wtf" reaction.
Of course those guys would upset their fanbases if they got Samus's shoes. Clothes are gender-segregated and boys can't wear high-heels without crossdressing. Sad but true. If clothes were more unisex, maybe the drawing would be less awkward. But girls wearing heels and skirts have been accepted as the norm for a long time. Even tomboys wear them. But hey, if girls wear pants now and they were stuck with skirts in ancient times, maybe guys wearing heels can be a trend in the future? But it is very much accepted for girls to wear heels so Samus's shoes are totally fine.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
**** that. Nobody complains about her suit but put Yoshi in a skin tight suit and see how weird this stuff gets.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I don't like the Zero Suit's heels because they don't fit inside the Power Suit with her in there.

But I just care about consistency and logic.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Her Morph Ball makes even less sense then her shoes. How can she form a ball inside that armor? And looking at her heels, they actually look collapsable, like maybe they can close? Or maybe since she doesn't change mid-battle anymore, she takes her shoes off when putting on her armor? This thread feels like a bad SJW reaction. They are just shoes! Is it out of character for Samus to wear heels? She wore wedge-heels in Other M. She would probably feel comfortable with high-heels. And Bayonetta having guns on her heels is even more impractical than Samus's jet boots.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm just going to drop in and say, regardless of whatever beef anyone has with the heels, I think ZSS' new forward roll animation with the hover slide is awesome.

leftshark

Smash Rookie
she definitely should not have heels from a purely realistic functional view. However, lots of awesome female Anime/Video game characters fight in heels, even some that work as weapons. Like bayonetta for example. I understand from a lore perspective, why it is weird that she had them. But from looking at it as an aesthetic trend, I think its totally inline and cool. it is some people's views that Neon yellow pumps are "stripper shoes" that is wrong. Lore and functionality reason for disliking rocket heels i can understand and agree with.

However, they are empowering an iconic female accessory. Do you think that rocket heels would be cool to use as a weapon?

What about a tie, that you transformed into a razor sharp whip? or cuff links that project energy shields? All of these are can be more functional if they were not stuck with looking like a traditionally male accessory, but would they be as cool?

Samus rocket heels could have easily been combat boots with neon yellow boosters strapped to the back and this would all be avoided, and everyone would say, "its cool, and of course she would need rocket boots to maneuver in zero g". but because they are heels and with a neon look its controversial. functionally, rocket combat boots are superior, but rockets heels are a fun and interesting design.

papertiger

Smash Rookie
I don't see the need for the heals, we already have bayonetta filling the role of the "hooker" character, don't need two in a nintendo game.

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
i'm not bothered that she has heels. but they still look weird in game, it's like she was in a sonic adventure 2 stage and found a power up.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
i don't see why she needs heels for that. they could remove the heels and keep the fire element on her like falcons side smash or knee
But Captain Falcon has pyrokinesis to explain his Falcon Punch. Zero Suit Samus is a lady without her suit from a sci-fi game so she shouldn't have any magic fire powers. Rocket heels fit her totally fine. Maybe if she had a fire suit, flame attacks could work.

StGabby

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3147-0719-3893
Im on the idc boat on this topic, but it seems like pointless arguing since nothing is going to change lol... everyone's throwing great points at each other some not so much.. but the games out and she has heels oh well

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
But Captain Falcon has pyrokinesis to explain his Falcon Punch. Zero Suit Samus is a lady without her suit from a sci-fi game so she shouldn't have any magic fire powers. Rocket heels fit her totally fine. Maybe if she had a fire suit, flame attacks could work.
captain falcon hasn't shown to be able to any of the things he does in smash in his own games.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
captain falcon hasn't shown to be able to any of the things he does in smash in his own games.
Well, Captain Falcon is in a car for his games so some creative liberty was needed for fighting game appearances. Zero Suit Samus was playable on foot for Zero Mission and Other M so they had to base her moveset on those games, right? She may not have rocket heels but they are better than rehashing her up smash and they would make perfect sense for a sci-fi lady.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Well, Captain Falcon is in a car for his games so some creative liberty was needed for fighting game appearances. Zero Suit Samus was playable on foot for Zero Mission and Other M so they had to base her moveset on those games, right? She may not have rocket heels but they are better than rehashing her up smash and they would make perfect sense for a sci-fi lady.
They get away from her athletic abilities due to her Chozo DNA. It makes it seem like those moves are only possible because of the boots/bracelets.

Last edited:

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
okay what about fox and falcos up b? they've had games when they're outside of air wings and haven't shown to be fire benders

They get away from her athletic abilities due to her Chozo DNA. It makes it seem like those moves are only possible because of the boots/bracelets.
exactly, she was able to move around freely as a child on a planet zebes which has 900xgravity of earth.

Augi

Smash Cadet
What I'm seeing, is people saying the heels are a problem because of the underlying association that heels are an oppressive symbol of femininity as well as being impractical and unsuitable for the everyday and are only thrust upon women because human society says "you must wear these to make your rear look good".

This apparently conflicts with the perception of Samus as "empowered woman freed from the shackles of femininity". She's a badass bounty hunter. She commits genocide of an entire species and eradicates planets and takes on a fleet of space pirates single-handedly! HOW DARE THIS FEMALE WARRIOR... entertain any notions of Femininity?

"The heels serve no battle purpose! And would likely only hinder her abilities!"

Unless they don't?

What if I told you I had a pair of gloves that would help you do more damaging punches by causing explosions in peoples faces and adding greater force to your movement? ZSS is described, according to the wiki, as having Quote: "superhuman acrobatic skills from her Chozo DNA and training" and her DNA "gives her speed and agility beyond the capability of ordinary humans". I wasn't able to find a single instance where it says that Samus has super strength (although the above poster says she grew up in 900x normal gravity, not sure how game canon that is though. I'm no lore buff) See Edit Below. So maybe her kicks aren't that strong on their own...

Maybe the rockets in her heels aren't about speed, they're about creating a greater, more explosive impact (or at least fire damage). And what better way to deliver damaging force and firepower to a high-speed kick than with exploding heels? I'm pretty sure that her superhuman acrobatics makes the uncomfortable or awkward torment of walking or running in heels (for normal humans) childs play for her; its a non-issue. And if that's the case, if the heels actually HELP her physical combat capabilities, wouldn't she as a warrior go through any training or use any item necessary to increase her combat prowess? Including using heels?

I like the heels. They make her tush look good... and give her powerful kicks.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: After looking at the data on Zebes on the Wiki - pulled from the Metroid Prime game - it does say it's mass is " '4.8 trillion teratons', or 4.8 trillion trillion tons" which would support the 960x gravity statement. HOWEVER, it goes on to say that this is likely a mistake as teratons....

Teraton
(noun) - A measure of the strength of an explosion or a bomb based on how many trillion tons of TNT would be needed to produce the same energy.

And suggests that for mass, the correct measurement would be kilograms. So really the correct measurement of its mass would be 4.974x10^24 kilograms, which is actually LESS mass than Earth (5.972 × 10^24 kg). Which makes sense, since the planet is described as having a hollow crust. Furthermore, this measurement of mass is supposedly backed up by the Japanese Official Nintendo Super Metroid Guide Book.

Therefore, the idea that Samus has super strength is likely a fallacy. She's just really fast. Hence the need for the suit; and the heels for added force to her kicks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom