• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Matchup

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I'm currently struggling to get a footing in this match up and would like your advice.
I'm playing against a friend of mine. We're both decent for casual level, nothing close to tournament or anything.
I'm feeling okay/good in all other match ups hes playing into me (fox, zero suit samus, ike), but samus is really hard.

Description of his playstyle:
Lots of rolls, sometimes campy. I find it pretty demoralizing that he has a projectile that can kill even from the opposite side of the stage, so yeah. I try to perfect shield it but he still gets his kills regularly.
Against jump approaches he uses usmash or uair. Approaching him on the ground often leads to grabs for him
When he grabs he very often gets a fair, is this a true combo?
From the ledger he used to get up using jump in the past, however I figured out how to cover that option with ftilt so he doesnt do that anymore. He now goes ledger release into fair which I shield and sometimes get a grab out of it. Other times he goes for zair. How do I punish these options hard?
He also does this thing where he rolls or dash attacks into me in a fashion so that he is located behind me (so I cannot grab).

Description of my playstyle:
I'm not really a rushdown player. I like that you have to approach kind of defensively in tipper range with Marth. But I cannot really do that when he plays Samus since that's the zone he controlls with his grab.
I enjoy playing off the stage and that's where I get most of my kills. It's 50/50 between that and fsmashes. However it's hard to get samus off stage in the first place.
When I use aerials to approach I usually try the fullhop fair into nair fast fall, but it's not that useful against samus.
I cannot use perfect pivots yet, havn't really managed to get them to work consistently.
Same goes for dashdancing. Not yet reliable enough.

Things I tried yet:
I read that db is a good tool to punish rolls so I try that. It's okay.
I also read that I'm supposed to get her in the air since samus' air game sucks. I tried that but I cannot make it work.
I go for down throw and try to follow that up with upair, but half the time he gets a follow up instead, so I'm kind of at the edge of stopping to even try to get the string.
A while ago I used to go for jab into fsmash a lot, but it doesn't look like a true combo against samus. Most of the time she tends to be able to DI away. It's also really hard for me to get a jab against her in the first place.
Furthermore I also tried to punish his dash attacks with bair oos, but it's hard.

My controller setup currently is attack on c-stick. I use jump on x for short hops and on L for oos options and so I can use aerials with the tilt stick.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

JasonKaroshi

Smash Apprentice
1. Marth's counter is a great tool for stopping projectiles. Otherwise jump over them.

2. I'd recommend faking him out when approaching. Instead of going for a nair or a fair, airdodge and punish his laggy up smash or uair. When ground approaching, run up, and spotdodge or roll towards him if you see him start to grab, as Samus takes a while to start up, and a while to end. If you don't think you can react in time, down tilt can come out quick and has decent range, so run up and crouch, and then down tilt.

3. Down throw to fair is a true combo on Samus

4. Down tilts is a good punish option offstage as it pushes him off, allowing for offstage kills.

5. When getting a grab, I'd recommend using forward throw or back throw to get him offstage, since that's where you excel, or up throw to try and juggle him with up airs since Samus is so floaty.

Sir Lancelot

Smash Cadet
Also, try short hopping and immediately airdodging (SHAD). This is very good to approach against projectiles since it's basically invincible and you can use an aerial like nair or upair after the airdodge to start a combo.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Switch to Cloud. Don't bother practicing with him. Get free win. Profit.

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
I play Samus and Marth... I'll chime in a bit :)
Of course please consider that I'm not a pro player and that I'm just casual... so take it with a grain of salt ;)

So here's the thing Both Samus and Marth are zoning characters
Difference is that Marth is much faster on the ground and in the air with no projectiles at all

Samus is very slow on the ground and very floaty in the air
She does have projectiles and that killer Charge Shot
But don't let those projectiles fool you
She'll be using plenty of her tilts and dash attack setting you up for her basic air combos
Also watch out for that ZAIR it has plenty of range and can confirm Charge Shot

Dealing with Samus's Projectile game
Don't be afraid of a the Charge Shot when she's charging it
Dash in with Sheild Stop you can see it coming or Shield stop out of her Grab Range
Lots of Samus Players like to Charge then go for the grab
So stopping right before Grab is good then approach her accordingly
Once she fully charge then worry a bit lol but even when she has it won't land unless you are predictable or she sets it up

You should not be getting hit by random Charge Shots half a stage away. You should be shielding those easily
Ways Samus will land the Charge Shots.. her set ups
Catching you rolling
Catching you on wake up
ZAIR into Charge Shot Confirm
Catching you Air Dodging and punishing with a Charge Shot
Ledge Guarding you with Charge Shot
Bomb into Charge shot shield Break Set Up [Take the Charge shot instead of the Shield Break if necessary]

Unless its those set up listed you should be safe from the Charge Shot

Dealing with Missiles
Just block them
Shield Stop if you need to approach
Your going to feel the need to jump over them and approach but that leaves you in a vulnerable situation
Once Samus is underneath you she has the advantage which I will go over in detail bit later in this post

She predict the jump space you out and ZAIR which can lead to combos and Charge Shot Confirms
Her Up Air is quit good long lasting hit box and can combo into FAIR or NAIR and even another Up Air and even confirming into an Up B depending on certain percentages

Air to Air Marth is superior Face to Face and Below Samus
Your FAIR will beat out her FAIR
Your FAIR may beat out her BAIR depends but because she is floaty you have more of an advantage
Your Up Air can also beat out her DAIR... her DAIR has a long start up giving you advantage again
Also if your below and she decides to Up Air Fast Fall you still have advantage do to your range with Up Air
Watch out for her NAIR... she actually has a pretty decent NAIR she can use to approach you with when your grounded

So back to dealing with Missiles lol
Don't feel the need to jump over them because it gives Samus the Advantage
You can easily move in due to your speed shield stop and punish
Samus Recovery on missiles is pretty laggy

If you are going to jump make sure to Short Hop NAIR or FAIR
Make sure to space it out though as Samus can punish you with a NAIR if you don't fast fall quick enough
Also don't be too predictable when Short Hopping.... if she has a Full Charge Shot.. can easily eat one at short hop range

Samu's grab is terrible and has tons of end lag so short hoping in is sort of safe against her because she really can't shield grab you. Follow the jump in with a jab or mix it up with a grab
That jab if landed can lead to Dancing Blade or FAIR

Samus can not deal with this kind of in close pressure
Marth has the advantage here up close

However! It all depends on how well you can space your Sword
Because if you are in too close you will be eating a Jab or a Down Tilt and a FTilt
These moves come out extremely fast with Samus
Down Tilt will launch you right up where Samus has the advantage air to air
Side Tilt will get you off her
Jab can lead to Mix Ups for her
She can also Up B out of Shield which can kill you at high percentage as well

So make sure your spacing is on point!
You should be still watching out for those Tilts and punishing them due to the long recovery
Dancing Blade is usually a really good answer that or Jab followed up by FAIR or Dancing Blade

A good Samus can DI out of Jab into Dancing Blade so just keep that in mind
Also yes what you said earlier.... Dancing Blade punishes rolls really easily so use it

Anyways it really boils down to Samus zoning you out and you approaching
Marth if much faster so approaching isn't going to be terrible

Samus's common approach
Jump in NAIR [Could also be used in her Nuetral]
Jump in Up AIR combos into Up B
Dash Attack starter move for combos
BAIR looking for the Kill

Hope that helps....
I'm actually hoping more experienced players chime in.... would like to hear what they have to say about the match up

Top Bottom