• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Samus Knowledge Compendium

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
List of Advanced Techniques (ATs), tips, tricks and all things related to advanced play with Samus. This is a repository for threads we don't want to lose track of in the depths of the forum.

Guides and guidance:
Very basic, essential guidance:
  • Every time anyone lands in smash 4 they incur 4 frames of landing vulnerability. This is when you want to land a CS/missile/grab in particular, precisely as they are landing.
  • Reflectors, counters and absorbers ignore the 4 frames. You definitely want to poke with a missile, threaten a grab against those characters and not simply CS.
Detailed move analysis:
Advanced Techniques:

Jab lock combos:
Setups and other unconventional stuff:

Polished string and AT inspirational videos (my selection with some editor's bias, there are a lot of these):

Suggestions, corrections, welcome.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I haven't included any of the "let's play" videos, there are a lot of those honestly. If he produces a dedicated Samus guide I'll definitely add it in. It's also several patches old now, when Samus used to have the "good" f-tilt in particular.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ KingOfTheHill KingOfTheHill It's done by timing a CS to come out just before Samus lands. Best achieved by firing a little bit after you peak in your SH jump. The CS extends into the stage a bit and can catch anyone clinging to the ledge.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
@ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster The roll data is wrong. I may have at one point spread lies to you about all rolls being 4 frames and 10 frames thus giving Samus a bunch of intangible frames. That is simply not true. For use it is 3 frames (intagible starts on frame 4) goes until frame 25 and has FAF on 40 which gives us 14 vulnerable frames at the end (shield comes out on frame 40).

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ Xygonn Xygonn yep, for sure, we were working off of what we had at the time, no blame to you. I have a lot of updating of this thread and the other than may not happen unfortunately for a couple of weeks if I can't get to it by the end of this one (tournament time, real life fighting, not virtual...)

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I haven't seen this anywhere, but what are Samus' best and worst stages?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
She doesn't really have bad stages tbh, it's all pretty match up dependent.

If your opponent has issues landing or approaching then FD or Duck Hunt is great.

BF/Miiverse/Dreamland make it easier for us to land and can extend our up air combos, and we can shield break characters on the top platform with Up B, but it can also extend combos of characters like ZSS and Falcon.

Delfino and Halberd gives us 0-death opportunities with D Throw/Dash Attack > Uair > Uair > Up B, we can shark through the stage with Uair and potentially shield break or poke with Up B, and on Halberd we can easily cover the ledge with Charge Shot since it goes through the stage and the middle is lowered.

Smashville we can camp the platform to Charge Up otherwise it's pretty neutral.

Town & City's lower ceiling helps net earlier Up B Oos kills.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ok, finally got around to adding those things we definitely don't want to lose to the depths of the forum.
Added links specifically to:
Kill percents
Teching and getup frame data.
Shield damage
Bomb crouch cancel
Shared setups

Still not yet in but I'm going to throw in a bunch of videos in the inspiration section from the general video thread as well, particularly unconventional play.

Last edited:

Claire Redfield

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lara_Redfield
What determines whether Samus uses her Grapple Beam as a tether recovery or not? Because it seems like most of the time, it just does an attack, when I'm pressing no directional input. I'd really like to know how to do it every time, if such a thing is possible.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
What determines whether Samus uses her Grapple Beam as a tether recovery or not? Because it seems like most of the time, it just does an attack, when I'm pressing no directional input. I'd really like to know how to do it every time, if such a thing is possible.
If you're in tumble after being hit you can't tether til you're back in a normal state, so just always airdodge before you tether to be safe, you can immediately cancel the airdodge with the tether so there's not really any time loss

Last edited:

Claire Redfield

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lara_Redfield
It's not tumble, though, that I can tell. Even when I'm in controlled aerial state, it seems like it just wants to do a n-air or something. I'll try again tomorrow.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
I may have found something huge. I'll do more tests for now. Will update soon.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Morph ball during hitstun? Did that once, not sure how.
Sliding across the stage d-smash? Computer controlled Samus did that to me once, no idea how.

Curious to see what you've found!

Last edited:

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Morph ball during hitstun? Did that once, not sure how.
Sliding across the stage d-smash? Computer controlled Samus did that to me once, no idea how.

Curious to see what you've found!
Nothing flashy in the visual aspect but a very practical & guaranteed 45% dmg hit combo on tall characters (hello Bayonetta) without using a CS. And it can be used for good bait & for stage control.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Combo thread then? Compendium is more for techs/links. And please post, I would love for it to make it into the video I've been laboring over.

Top Bottom