• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus jab

Baddest bih

Smash Cadet
I find it hilarious that the game gives you an in game tip that Samus jab can be shielded between the first and second hit so it’s best to hit them and run. Like wtf?!? Fix her jab it’s so bad it’s not even funny I’ve grabbed Samus players out of her jab a couple of times it’s that bad

Last edited:
I kinda like her jab as is, even though I agree it should combo.

Jab1:

- Fastest move in her kit
- Can be jab cancelled to help space opponent
- Tech chase into Fsmash (angled down)
- Good to use in CQC after clanking with opponent
- Can combo

Jab2:

- Can kill at ledge I think at about 140%+ solid knokback
- Can cover awkward angles that her other pokes miss
- Can hit through some platforms above at minimal risk
- Complements her other defensive pokes well in footsies
- Has quick startup and decent range

These are some pros I find for her neutral jab which I find does a fine job of rounding out her kit but yea, having it combo would be the first thing I'd buff in a patch.

whippletickle

Smash Rookie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but out of 70 characters, (dark) samus is the only character who's jab doesn't combo. It CAN combo, around 0-20% if you hold the attack button rather than pressing twice, or if you hit them while they're off the ground.

I honestly don't understand why her jab combo doesn't get fixed. the fact her fastest move can be punished on hit is just ridiculous. Samus has enough challenges as it is for her to not have a safe jab.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'll always blame Japan's dislike for Metroid as the reason why they keep Samus' jab 1 as garbage. I know, the logic doesn't follow, but it doesn't matter.

Coral has some good points but having jab combo can only be considered a + since you can just manually delay the jab2 if you don't want the combo. A strength is never a weakness and a weakness is never a strength.

YSoSalty?

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3743-1738-5788
I like doing jab1 into either a retreating zair, bomb or grab. Making her jab string a true combo would be a pretty fantastic buff but she doesn't need it. I personally prefer subtler buffs like the one her bombs got. I rarely find the need to throw out a jab with Samus anyway and probably sttill wouldn't use it much even if it did combo.

...weakness is never a strength.
Try telling that to Mouse Finbar. :laugh:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Dislike, not hate. Japan may not even dislike Metroid, but its unpopular in Japan. One of the critically acclaimed games (Metroid Prime) didn't sell as much as it did everywhere else. Still, that jab 1 doesn't connect in spite of the developers being aware of it gives me no reason to think they care.
It's strange, I would think sci-fi based games like Metroid would do better in Japan than fantasy based games like Zelda.

But there really is no real explanation for Nintendo trolling us with her broken jab.

Top Bottom