• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ Marm' Marm' Really nice play. Your use of the correct option out of SH-AD is really amazing to see. You've got that reactive skill nailed down, really great to see this element of the Samus metagame in full display. I'm still picking the wrong option more often than I would like and you're just nailing it, like 100% of the time.
Since you want a dash of criticism I would say you're limiting yourself by not using full-jumps into up-air. On several occasions with the target in the 20-40% range you could have got more damage from a full jump combo. Your SH aerial focus is obviously a big part of your playstyle - and it's fantastic - but some mixup particularly when you can get more guaranteed damage is a good thing.
That offstage reverse charge shot disrespect was pretty sweet. :p

@Fluidityt (and others) I'm glad to see I'm not alone in noticing an up-tick of general skill. Moved on to other games may be the biggest reason, I'm curious to see the upcoming tournament mode.
Incidentally I'm using your "roll the finger off the buttons" input for SH aerials religiously now, I feel it's really the way to go.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
@Marm' You come out of nowhere and your playstyle is so solid, what I found many Samus's forget is when you do SH Z-Air (the short range method) don't forget to do the backjump animation, it will halve your hurtbox. Sometimes you do it but most of the time you don't.

It's been a while since I uploaded gameplay, I found a For Glory Roy who actually knows about PP and B-Reverse.

00:42 was a miss-input, I wanted to input SH FF B-Air, if I had not screwed up than his shield would have been broken . ;(

Marm'

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeoslown
@ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster Wow, thank you :D ! I've also noticed this, lots of my Uair do not combo into each others mostly because I'm not getting those last hit on mid-air, and I have a lot of trouble mixing up DI and full jumps. Takes time I guess.. And yeah, most of the time I just don't feel like I'm taking the best punish option too. I think I should feel more confident with our frame data. Thanks for your analysis :)

@ KayJay KayJay Kind of situational to me but still good to know. Will make sure to use those, thank you as well :) ! Nice game by the way, your Bair pressure game is really impressive, eats the shields so well it's really scary.. In my opinion you should jump a bit less, it becomes kind of predictable. Try using Jab 1 CC a bit more as a spacing tool instead of zair / bair on short range, would really like to see more of those added in your gameplay :)

Last edited:

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
I played that exact guy today. He was crazy good, only fought his Marth (best one I've seen) and his Shulk. We played a while and I could only win a few games as well. Guy had perfect use of walking, he never overcommitted, and could really land his tippers.
As for empty jumps, if someone is still landing too close you can up b oos before he even touches the ground, and if he's lamding one character away short hop oos to help you either space yourself or launch an offensive aerial.
I usually wall people out with tilts and aerials, but this guy was impossible to keep out. He was always on top of me and punished every bad decision I made. I had a horrible time while on the edge. Zair helped get things started, but I overly abused dash attack which always got me punished really bad with up smash oos or up b. He jumped a lot so it was risky to get the grab, and since he didn't land reckless attacks I had a hard time punishing. Interrupting his aerials movements with aerials of my own worked well, fair and nair caught him by surprise. Still, I had too much trouble getting ko's compared to him. Which was the biggest problem.

Yeah walling him out seemed to be rather difficult.

Hey, so did I ever send you a friend request through miiverse? I cant remember. Maybe we can continue our dittos from a while back.

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
@ Afro Smash Afro Smash
@ KayJay KayJay

Great gameplay as usual. Makes me want to improve more and more, but with the time I have, there's only so much I can do.

@Fluidityt
@ DungeonMaster DungeonMaster

I've also noticed that there are some really good people on FG as well. But there are also nights where I keep running into people who I fell just bought the game the day before. It seems to be random for me. Some nights I win the majority of the time, other nights, I feel like trash.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Final set, vs J Miller's Luigi, I can tell I was nervous playing this I make silly mistakes like up b'ing past the ledge, missing reverse charge shots, airdodge in to the ground, up b oos when it's not even close. Ugh, frustrating to watch but I should be playing him again this saturday so hopefully I can play a little better then.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
First post-patch replay footage for Samus yaaaaaaaaaaaay.

If you saw the MU discussion thread, this showcases that scenario with Robin I mentioned. There was an extra game, but it's not worth watching(though I won).

Dude left after the third game(seen in Match 2 below) because he abhors fighting Samus. Sure, the first time I fought him I sucked and it was among my first online matches on Smash U, but here I put up a bigger fight and probably mentally irritated him with a much better Samus than last time.

Capture.PNG

^ After seeing Samus receive jack in the patch this is a goddamn compliment. ^

Last edited:

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671

Some friendlies vs. my friend on Lylat. He uses Pal as a secondary. Criticism is appreciated!

Last edited:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
I played Esam tonight, 2 games vs his pika and 2 games vs his samus. 2 stocked his samus one match and the rest he won but they were very close overall. I forgot to save some of the games because I was just so excited but when the VOD of the stream comes up I'll rip the stream and post the games!

In the meantime, here is my second compilation video

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Alright the VOD finally went live! Sorry about the quality, it's the VOD and nothing I can do about it. I made a lot of mistakes and know what they were, but I'm still satisfied with the overall result considering the caliber the player is.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I played Esam tonight, 2 games vs his pika and 2 games vs his samus. 2 stocked his samus one match and the rest he won but they were very close overall. I forgot to save some of the games because I was just so excited but when the VOD of the stream comes up I'll rip the stream and post the games!

In the meantime, here is my second compilation video

That damn duck around d 3:25 blocked your ferocious assault on Shulk!

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Alright the VOD finally went live! Sorry about the quality, it's the VOD and nothing I can do about it. I made a lot of mistakes and know what they were, but I'm still satisfied with the overall result considering the caliber the player is.

Nice games, unfortunate SD on Kongo Jungle, I'd say be a bit more careful with when you tether, if there's somoene in your way it's generally safer to Up B since tether makes you vulnerable until ur snapped to the ledge

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
5th Highlights video

9 seconds in and i already knew you used No Game No Lifes music.....YES!!! ill post back after i watch it fully.
Fantastic videos man. Always a joy watching them. You are definately someone im trying to catch up to skill wise, I have a loooong way to go Keep it going!

Last edited:

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
Hey guys, Danishbutrcookies here. I've had this for a while, hope y'all enjoy it!
Nice montage! Other than a lot of (In my opinion) unnecessary after effects, pauses, and slowdowns, it was awesome! You've definitely earned a subscriber.

DanishButrCookies

Smash Scientist
NNID
danishbutrcookie
3DS FC
3540-1230-7552
Nice montage! Other than a lot of (In my opinion) unnecessary after effects, pauses, and slowdowns, it was awesome! You've definitely earned a subscriber.
Thank you! Many people on Reddit said the same exact thing, for the Falco montage I shortened the intro, removed many effects, and overall made it more simple but professional. :)

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
This man put his dignity on the line by challenging me on MVD's stream for my phone number and according to MVD he's top wario in in their area (which is basically the best of east coast) but I'm just not seeing it.

MVD

Smash Master
This man put his dignity on the line by challenging me on MVD's stream for my phone number and according to MVD he's top wario in in their area (which is basically the best of east coast) but I'm just not seeing it.

Woah now, I said he was our local Wario, he is good, you just bodied him lolol

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Woah now, I said he was our local Wario, he is good, you just bodied him lolol
dang you ruined everything :( you said he represented southern cali wario!! it makes more sense now though. hello and welcome to our board

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
@ Afro Smash Afro Smash really really nice stuff. Love the dash -> b-air -> reverse CS strings as always. Every time you make one of these I realize I really need to up my reverse charge shot game in general...
Really like the f-air -> z-air getting some action. Totally surprised him I think.

@ Tonetta Tonetta Go get'em girl! What else can I say? Really nice, you should compete as in in-person competitions! Particularly nice comboing the hell out of capt. falcon and the double d-air finisher. I really love double d-air....

Will anyone give me critique? ;_;
You have good control over the character in general, with few rolls which is great.
Here's your requested critique: I would use a bit more dash attack, since it's a solid low % combo starter and more up-air in general because it's very fast, combos into anything under the sun.
You end up landing a lot of single hits, which is not optimal, and you may find yourself struggling against something that hits harder/faster or combos more. Even if you don't learn the whole combo tree, I personally feel it's essential as Samus to make the most out of every hit. You clearly really like b-air, and you have a good reflexive b-air -> f-tilt. I would say familiarize yourself with the percentages where you need to go from b-air -> f-tilt to b-air -> dash attack in training mode so you can see the true combo windows and how they apply.
b-air b-air b-air f-smash fishing for the kill will generally not work well against seasoned opponents since they both have quite a bit of endlag and you've staled your b-air quite a bit over the match. Since you've got them to 150%, up-B is really quite good and some up-air FF -> up-B or shield-dash up-B is a better mixup than telegraphing.

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
@ Afro Smash Afro Smash really really nice stuff. Love the dash -> b-air -> reverse CS strings as always. Every time you make one of these I realize I really need to up my reverse charge shot game in general...
Really like the f-air -> z-air getting some action. Totally surprised him I think.

@ Tonetta Tonetta Go get'em girl! What else can I say? Really nice, you should compete as in in-person competitions! Particularly nice comboing the hell out of capt. falcon and the double d-air finisher. I really love double d-air....

You have good control over the character in general, with few rolls which is great.
Here's your requested critique: I would use a bit more dash attack, since it's a solid low % combo starter and more up-air in general because it's very fast, combos into anything under the sun.
You end up landing a lot of single hits, which is not optimal, and you may find yourself struggling against something that hits harder/faster or combos more. Even if you don't learn the whole combo tree, I personally feel it's essential as Samus to make the most out of every hit. You clearly really like b-air, and you have a good reflexive b-air -> f-tilt. I would say familiarize yourself with the percentages where you need to go from b-air -> f-tilt to b-air -> dash attack in training mode so you can see the true combo windows and how they apply.
b-air b-air b-air f-smash fishing for the kill will generally not work well against seasoned opponents since they both have quite a bit of endlag and you've staled your b-air quite a bit over the match. Since you've got them to 150%, up-B is really quite good and some up-air FF -> up-B or shield-dash up-B is a better mixup than telegraphing.
Thankyou! I'll hit the lab as soon as possible to work on those combos and try to make the most of every hit.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
The double dair is one of my favorite closers against characters with fairly linear recovery like captain falcon! He only has a few options to recover so my goal there was to force him into taking a specific option and covering it. early jump is covered with the first dair, and due to my positioning it looked as if I was going to just try to smack him out of the air immediately which forced him to buffer an air dodge, leaving him with only the low recovery, which I was already heading to counter! Too bad it doesn't work if he just chooses not to air dodge :( Thanks for the compliments!

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Here is a replay saved last night at 1 a.m. during the first day of my no roll training practice. A lot of hesitation here which shows you all how far I've got to go to be more fluid. each point of hesitation is a point where my instincts are screaming "ROLL" but @ Afro Smash Afro Smash suggested I focus on 1 aspect of my game when fighting people in FG and that alone.
Its not a perfect "no roll run" but it was one of the quickest Ryu matchups I've ever had. even with me playing like trash.
then he went for the ditto...
heres that result

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I've got some more replays to share and waay more polished than last time
Let me know what I should work on
these videos are me practicing my Zairs, SHAD, and still trying to break the roll habit.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
I watched all of your videos and you seem to have most of the fundamentals down! Most of the stuff that you can work on isn't character specific, but the one off the top of my head that is I believe I seen you recover with tether once in the 6 videos. Tether should be your go-to option if the opponent isn't close enough to swat you out of the air, and should be a mixup even if they are so they have a harder time edgeguarding you. Tether has 7 frames on the ledge compared to 21 for a regular ledge grab, which allows you to act quicker!

Other stuff that you could be doing is picking other options from the ledge other than the regular standup ones (attack, roll, jump, standup) with ledge dropping options. The three really good ones on samus is to ledge drop by pressing down, and then jumping into an uair or zair and you will frame cancel at the best point from that angle, or pressing back from the ledge then jumping fair which will allow you to fair onto the ledge and frame cancel fair. You can also ledge drop and nair but it's outclassed by uair in basically every way possible. The same trick is useful for ledge guarding in that you can ledge drop and do a rising dair on recovering opponents and you can hit their 1 frame window with a meteor if executed well. Know that picking any of the options listed within the paragraph is dangerous and learning when to perform these moves is key.

The rest is learning matchups, for example you didn't seem too aware of what to do about megaman's sticky missle. If you touch him while you have it on you, it will transfer over to him. A silly trick that seems to work is ROLLING (lmao) past him and catching his hurtbox when your roll becomes vulnerable and it will give him the sticky missle. If you can't safely get in to give him the missle, you should run away and shield the explosion, or a well-timed air dodge will remove the damage component of it. Against wario you knew that you could zair him off his bike which is really good! however, you can also sit near a ledge and grab him off it as well! If he revs the engine you can't grab him off the bike, which is why siting near the ledge is key to perform this technique.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I watched all of your videos and you seem to have most of the fundamentals down! Most of the stuff that you can work on isn't character specific, but the one off the top of my head that is I believe I seen you recover with tether once in the 6 videos. Tether should be your go-to option if the opponent isn't close enough to swat you out of the air, and should be a mixup even if they are so they have a harder time edgeguarding you. Tether has 7 frames on the ledge compared to 21 for a regular ledge grab, which allows you to act quicker!

Other stuff that you could be doing is picking other options from the ledge other than the regular standup ones (attack, roll, jump, standup) with ledge dropping options. The three really good ones on samus is to ledge drop by pressing down, and then jumping into an uair or zair and you will frame cancel at the best point from that angle, or pressing back from the ledge then jumping fair which will allow you to fair onto the ledge and frame cancel fair. You can also ledge drop and nair but it's outclassed by uair in basically every way possible. The same trick is useful for ledge guarding in that you can ledge drop and do a rising dair on recovering opponents and you can hit their 1 frame window with a meteor if executed well. Know that picking any of the options listed within the paragraph is dangerous and learning when to perform these moves is key.

The rest is learning matchups, for example you didn't seem too aware of what to do about megaman's sticky missle. If you touch him while you have it on you, it will transfer over to him. A silly trick that seems to work is ROLLING (lmao) past him and catching his hurtbox when your roll becomes vulnerable and it will give him the sticky missle. If you can't safely get in to give him the missle, you should run away and shield the explosion, or a well-timed air dodge will remove the damage component of it. Against wario you knew that you could zair him off his bike which is really good! however, you can also sit near a ledge and grab him off it as well! If he revs the engine you can't grab him off the bike, which is why siting near the ledge is key to perform this technique.
In most situations I do tether recovery alot.and my getuos do vary usually with quick drop to rising zair and Uair. I guess these videos are not good at showing my knowledge.

Last edited:

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
Some videos for you all. Take what you can from it, if there's anything worth taking in there. Just ignore all the input errors. There are lots.

Top Bottom