• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay Videos

Ampheras

Smash Cadet
Thanks K-San for the compliments and the analysis!
But in my experience I don't agree that Zair is an answer. Not only fox is short, but his great speed makes zair very unsafe to use. Even if I manage to hit one or two, the first one he reads and charge bellow me I will be put in a very bad spot and possibly get punished very hard. I tried this for a very long time but it really don't pay off. And I didn't even mention that, because fox is a super fastfaller, it requires a very high porcentage to my followups to be true or at least reliable.
I think it's an interesting idea to play the punish game, but it's very hard when the fox know what he is doing because his pressure on shield is extreme. Is really not easy to punish him.
After debating with some players, I came to the conclusion that my problem was only one: I used very little grab. Although samus grab is very unsafe, Seyaru was overly-abusing shield against me. He puts himself very vulnerable to the grab but made his game practically invulnerable against all other options. If I used more grabs I would force him to use another options like spotdodge or jump and that would give me new options and completely change the way the game was played. And so, I should also have moved more in the neutral, I stayed too static, most of nervous.
I also disagree with your tip about throwing the CS only when setup. I think it resembles the grab situation. Fox reflector can hard-punish a CS thrown in neutral, but, if fox tries using too much downB, I gain punish opportunities or even stage control. In fact its a strategy I use against every char with reflector and it works. The problem is Seyaru was well aware of it and the shield-abusing tactic also countered this gameplan.
I can think only that the solution is basically more grabs/dashgrabs/pivotgrabs, and so I can force a complete new game.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Ampheras Ampheras
If you haven't seen Kayjay's set vs. cfive here they are linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkPm_yCoszM
Both are world class.

And please don't feed the troll. Please for the love of god don't take anything the manbaby says seriously or worse yet try to apply it.
The trying and appear "normal" with grimy compliments and simultaneous slimy backhanded insults just skirting the posting rules, it's just sad, from a grown man.
No one in their right mind would ever play with a pathological liar let alone friend them. Move along.
Still can't even position himself to do a reverse uptilt at the ledge with fox, 2 years on, jesus god why did I ever bother.

Last edited:

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
Thanks K-San for the compliments and the analysis!
But in my experience I don't agree that Zair is an answer. Not only fox is short, but his great speed makes zair very unsafe to use. Even if I manage to hit one or two, the first one he reads and charge bellow me I will be put in a very bad spot and possibly get punished very hard. I tried this for a very long time but it really don't pay off. And I didn't even mention that, because fox is a super fastfaller, it requires a very high porcentage to my followups to be true or at least reliable.
I think it's an interesting idea to play the punish game, but it's very hard when the fox know what he is doing because his pressure on shield is extreme. Is really not easy to punish him.
After debating with some players, I came to the conclusion that my problem was only one: I used very little grab. Although samus grab is very unsafe, Seyaru was overly-abusing shield against me. He puts himself very vulnerable to the grab but made his game practically invulnerable against all other options. If I used more grabs I would force him to use another options like spotdodge or jump and that would give me new options and completely change the way the game was played. And so, I should also have moved more in the neutral, I stayed too static, most of nervous.
I also disagree with your tip about throwing the CS only when setup. I think it resembles the grab situation. Fox reflector can hard-punish a CS thrown in neutral, but, if fox tries using too much downB, I gain punish opportunities or even stage control. In fact its a strategy I use against every char with reflector and it works. The problem is Seyaru was well aware of it and the shield-abusing tactic also countered this gameplan.
I can think only that the solution is basically more grabs/dashgrabs/pivotgrabs, and so I can force a complete new game.
It's really hard to contest you since your more experienced than I am lol
This is a really good opportunity for me to bounce ideas off you and see what your thoughts are

I actually agree a lot on what you say regarding ZAIR
However I guess I failed to mention ZAIR needs to land at Max range or else you will get punished
If you know it would hit earlier because Fox has closed the gap you have two options
Immediately go for the Empty Hop or NAIR

The idea of ZAIR is to narrow options down for Fox and bait him into committing to only a handful of options
He's not really going to contest your air to air horizontally as your options there are superior
So we know he's going to run in [or stay put] perform the following

- Shield Stop
- Dash Attack
- Up Smash
- Stay out of ZAIR range and wait and see

Dealing with Shield Stop
Most common strategy Fox implements in my opinion against Samus due to Samus's longer tilt recovery
If you see this pattern you can go empty hop into a grab

Dealing with Dash Attack
You can empty hop block the Dash Attack and land the Down Tilt so long as he does not dash attack past you
Or
Challenge his Dash Attack with a NAIR

Dealing with Up Smash
Usually at higher percents Fox may feel he's quick enough to get under you and land the Up Smash
Go for the empty hop block the Up Smash and Punish

Fox Staying out of ZAIR range
If you notice Fox spacing out and keeping a safe distance we know that he's trying to figure out your pattern and timing you
So we mix up ZAIR/Empty Hop/and Walking back
When we walk back and Fox runs in Reverse Grab or other options available options

I'm pretty sure you get where I'm going with ZAIR as a tool for setting everything up
With this ZAIR strategy in mind I think this will allow you go for more Grabs
and like you said earlier opens up more options for you as well
In theory it sounds about right but in practice its a different story I know lol

As for Charge Shot comments.... I actually agree
and do that myself actually to mix things up
I will throw out Random Charge Shots to condition them into thinking I'm Charge Shot happy then just hold my charge shot and mix things up... this strategy here has netted me plenty of grabs :)

As for you wanting to implement more throws I don't disagree with that either.
I think the major issue with Samus regarding grab strategies is that Samus must land the grab or she'll get punished heavily
So that means being pretty damn sure that you'll land it if you throw it out
With me I try to set it up as best as i can

Anyways it would be good to get your thoughts on my approach
Would definitely help me improve my Samus game for sure :)

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
My 8th Samus Highlights Video

Subbed!

That Nair leading to Ryu's death at 2:00 was sick man

Actually come to think about it... Samus can actually deal with Focus attack pretty easily since most of her aerials are multi hit :)

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
Just had a few good games
Thought I'd liven things up a bit here :)

Have to admit this guy's Samus was pretty impressive
Never had my Ness get beat that hard against Samus lol

Makes me realize the Samus main I use to play against was terrible lol
Getting wins against him was just way too easy compared to this guy

Went Fox to see how my Fox faired... did pretty good
Don't think he was expecting me to pull Fox out :)

Samus Dittos gotta love them... was surprised I won.. he was clearly the better Samus in my opinion

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Been a while since I posted anything so here's a few videos for you...one vs Bayonetta, one vs Mega Man and one vs Pikachu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom