• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Costume Tournament! [Voting Ended]

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I honestly believe the best option for extra Samus (and ZSS) outfits is just to expand her palette with a bigger selection of recolors the same way Yoshi got new black, white, orange, and purple recolors.

In addition to her vBrawl palette, which consists of:

Default = Varia Suit
Pink/Red = Super Metroid Gravity Suit
Green = a Zaku from Mobile Suit Gundam
Blue = Fusion Suit
Brown = Dark Suit
Purple = Metroid Prime Gravity Suit

PMBR or any individual(s) could add more recolors based off of:

White = Light Suit
Yellow = Power Suit
Black = Phazon Suit
Red = Mother Brain, Metroid Queen, or a Metroid itself

And for more creative freedom, these could be released individually:

New and improved Light, Dark, Fusion, and PED Suit models
Ridley inspired purple
Kraid inspired green
Nightmare inspired blue/grey
Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer silver, blue, and green (which I've already made)

Because as much as I'd really love the idea of a custom Light Suit model, I'd rather have extra slots so that I can customize them with whatever I want, including any new and improved models of the Light Suit, Dark Suit, Fusion Suit, etc that ever get made or released. Not to mention it's much easier and less time consuming to create quality recolors than a whole new model from scratch.

Last edited:

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
1. Phazon Suit

2. Light Suit

3. PED Suit

4. Corrupted Hazard Shield

5. Prime Suit with Colors

I chose the PED Suit since I voted for the Corrupted Hazard Shield, doesn't make sense to have two of the same thing. On that note, it seems to me that at least one or two of these entries could be combined. For one, the Phazon Suit seems like it should be an alternate color scheme instead of a suit choice, since it's just the Prime 1 Varia Suit with a different color palette(an awesome looking color palette, but still). The other is that could the Corrupted Hazard Shield and regular Hazard Shield could be combined into one choice with varying corruption levels as alternate colors? The same thing applies to the PED Suit.

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
1. Phazon Suit
2. Light Suit
3. Hazard Shield
4. Corrupted Hazard Shield
5. Other M Model + Colors

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
Unfortunately, I do not think it is possible for Samus' arm cannon to change colors depending on whether she is using the ice stance or not.
This is my best guessed from my coding experience:

Samus would have to borrow code from Zelda/Sheik in order to do a complete Model transformation for the arm Cannon. However, since there is not spare "slot" for the 2nd Samus model to be stored in, (Whereas Zelda and Sheik have their separate selection portraits, representing their "slots"), this model transformation wouldn't work.

However,

Being able to code the ice beam effects/changes and morph ball functionality is no easy feat. The coders responsible know extensively about Brawl's inner workings. They have the power to come up with a compromise for the arm cannon model swaps if they have time and drive to think of one.

I'm having the exact same issue with Garry's Mod. Which is annoying, because I was trying to mess with it myself...
Solutions:
1. Play the game in Offline mode.
2. Make a collection of all your addons in the steamworkshop, Load the game, then subscribe (or resubscribe) to your collection.

I prefer the first solution as it's just naturally faster.

you were right the first time with plasma btw. its not powerbeam at all. (talking about what comes out of her gun during uSmash, fAir, dTilt)
Nope, you were right. Metroid Prime did not exist when Super Smash Bros. Melee was created. In Melee, it stated that all of her "fire" moves were from the power beam. Thus, it'll be the same in Brawl and in PM.

I honestly believe the best option for extra Samus (and ZSS) outfits is just to expand her palette with a bigger selection of recolors the same way Yoshi got new black, white, orange, and purple recolors.

In addition to her vBrawl palette, which consists of:

Default = Varia Suit
Pink/Red = Super Metroid Gravity Suit
Green = a Zaku from Mobile Suit Gundam
Blue = Fusion Suit
Brown = Dark Suit
Purple = Metroid Prime Gravity Suit

PMBR or any individual(s) could add more recolors based off of:

White = Light Suit
Yellow = Power Suit
Black = Phazon Suit
Red = Mother Brain, Metroid Queen, or a Metroid itself

And for more creative freedom, these could be released individually:

New and improved Light, Dark, Fusion, and PED Suit models
Ridley inspired purple
Kraid inspired green
Nightmare inspired blue/grey
Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer silver, blue, and green (which I've already made)

Because as much as I'd really love the idea of a custom Light Suit model, I'd rather have extra slots so that I can customize them with whatever I want, including any new and improved models of the Light Suit, Dark Suit, Fusion Suit, etc that ever get made or released. Not to mention it's much easier and less time consuming to create quality recolors than a whole new model from scratch.
This isn't fair for the Metroid Players because Samus has so many beautiful custom suits. They could have expanded the amount of colors they had for Luigi or Peach, but they went out of their way to give them their own model. Just having additional colors would disregard part of the Metroid essence; the farther you travel, the more powerful and more varied your suit becomes. The variation represents all the experience and memories you had up to that point. The Corrupted suits turn bluer and blacker the farther you go into MP3. If you look at the concept art, you see Samus turning into the Dark Hunter as the Phazon seed in her grows stronger. And the suit shows that.

It simply would cheat Samus players out if PMBR threw up their hands and slapped on a different color for a character that has so many different meaningful styles.

ROUND TWO STARTS HERE! SORRY FOR THE WAIT. HAD TO MAKE 3 SEPARATE PICTURES/EDITS. PLEASE REVOTE AND MAY THE MOST POPULAR SUIT WIN!

My Round 2 Votes:
Light Suit
Corrupted Hazard Shield
Prime Model + Colors

Dark Suit
Hazard Sheild

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
1. Light Suit
2. Corrupted Hazard Shield
3. Prime Suit + Multplayer Colors

1. Dark Suit
2. Hazard Shield

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
This isn't fair for the Metroid Players because Samus has so many beautiful custom suits. They could have expanded the amount of colors they had for Luigi or Peach, but they went out of their way to give them their own model. Just having additional colors would disregard part of the Metroid essence; the farther you travel, the more powerful and more varied your suit becomes. The variation represents all the experience and memories you had up to that point. The Corrupted suits turn bluer and blacker the farther you go into MP3. If you look at the concept art, you see Samus turning into the Dark Hunter as the Phazon seed in her grows stronger. And the suit shows that.

It simply would cheat Samus players out if PMBR threw up their hands and slapped on a different color for a character that has so many different meaningful styles.
I completely understand where you're coming from, I myself am a huge Metroid fan and fellow Samus main, and I would really love to have a brand spanking new Light Suit model. But just because Samus has a wide selection of colors and models to use does not necessarily mean it all must be used. The majority of characters can only receive up to 10 slots for their palette, and Samus has more potential for suit recolors and models than most people realize, but this doesn't mean she should get more new models than the other characters, as it would be unfair to the characters that have only one extra model, and some characters like Kirby, Snake, Pit, and Captain Falcon don't even get anything extra.

You also completely disregarded several points I made in the second half of my post. By going the Yoshi route and expanding her palette with new colors, you can essentially represent every single Metroid game sans Prime 3's PED suit. Meanwhile on Brawl Vault, the P:M workshop, and other places, you have individual members and small teams working on brand new models for the Light Suit, the Fusion suit + recolors, the Other M suit + recolors, and a whole lot more.

Let me put it this way. Which do you think is better... 4 extra slots with recolors, or 2 extra slots with new models?

I want you to be honest and really think about that choice before you post.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

[quote="CyberMario, post: 16531586, member: 170473"
Nope, you were right. Metroid Prime did not exist when Super Smash Bros. Melee was created. In Melee, it stated that all of her "fire" moves were from the power beam. Thus, it'll be the same in Brawl and in PM.[/quote]

Where does it say that =/

Despite release dates,
Power beam shoots a ball of kinetic energy.
Plasma (prime only) is the only thing that shoots fire.

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
MORE EYE CANDY

Here's a comparison of Prime Suit and Fusion Suit

Where does it say that =/

Despite release dates,
Power beam shoots a ball of kinetic energy.
Plasma (prime only) is the only thing that shoots fire.
Let me rephrase that. In Super Smash Bros. for the N64, Samus had flames already firing out her arm cannon. When Super Smash Bros. was released in 1999, only three Metroid games have been released up until that point: Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, and Super Metroid. She didn't have many beams as she does now.

Since you went deeper into the question I went researching more on her Arm Cannon. It turns out that she does collect the Plasma Beam power up in Metroid II and Super Metroid! I was wrong, it was infact the Plasma Beam. I just didn't know she collected it from earlier games.

Some websites suggest that both the Plasma Beam from the 2D games are the same as the Plasma Beam from 3D games. The Plasma Beam in the 2D games is usually the strongest/last beam you get (only falling short of the Hyper Beam). In Metroid Prime, the Plasma beam is the "strongest"/last beam you get (just short of the Phazon Beam).

1. Light Suit
2. Corrupted Hazard Suit
3. Fusion Suit

Will you vote on Loser's Bracket?

The majority of characters can only receive up to 10 slots for their palette, and Samus has more potential for suit recolors and models than most people realize, but this doesn't mean she should get more new models than the other characters, as it would be unfair to the characters that have only one extra model, and some characters like Kirby, Snake, Pit, and Captain Falcon don't even get anything extra.

You also completely disregarded several points I made in the second half of my post. By going the Yoshi route and expanding her palette with new colors, you can essentially represent every single Metroid game sans Prime 3's PED suit. Meanwhile on Brawl Vault, the P:M workshop, and other places, you have individual members and small teams working on brand new models for the Light Suit, the Fusion suit + recolors, the Other M suit + recolors, and a whole lot more.

Let me put it this way. Which do you think is better... 4 extra slots with recolors, or 2 extra slots with new models?

I want you to be honest and really think about that choice before you post.
I heavily considered the options, searching up all of Brawl's Vaults data including various other costumes hacks. I looked at many different Samus colors. And after thinking about it, I would still much rather prefer 2 slots with new models. But, I think it's falling more on taste at this point.

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I heavily considered the options, searching up all of Brawl's Vaults data including various other costumes hacks. I looked at many different Samus colors. And after thinking about it, I would still much rather prefer 2 slots with new models. But, I think it's falling more on taste at this point.
Just because you can't find them on Brawl Vault doesn't mean they don't exist... not yet, at least... and especially when all of this is hypothetical, PMBR might not even touch Samus on the next release.

And I'm really surprised you actually went with the latter option. A matter of taste? Any snart person would've gone with the first choice because more slots is better. I want the Light Suit too, but I want more slots to use it over even more.

Chevy

Smash Ace
And I'm really surprised you actually went with the latter option. A matter of taste? Any snart person would've gone with the first choice because more slots is better. I want the Light Suit too, but I want more slots to use it over even more.
I would much rather have new official costumes. I don't usually care for recolors.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I would much rather have new official costumes. I don't usually care for recolors.
You don't have to use the slots for recolors, this is basically what I'm trying to say. Instead of having two extra slots, four extra slots would be better because it gives you more creative freedom with how you want to customize Samus's palette. If the main package doesn't include a new model, then download it separately and add it yourself. Or add your own recolors instead. Or add the Other M Suit and 9 recolors of it. There's tons of possibilities.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
You don't have to use the slots for recolors, this is basically what I'm trying to say. Instead of having two extra slots, four extra slots would be better because it gives you more creative freedom with how you want to customize Samus's palette. If the main package doesn't include a new model, then download it separately and add it yourself. Or add your own recolors instead. Or add the Other M Suit and 9 recolors of it. There's tons of possibilities.
But I would rather have my suit of choice in a tournament setting or on any other unfamiliary build.

Chevy

Smash Ace
then download it separately and add it yourself
What? Are you suggesting I carry around an SD card to every tournament and event I go to and impose it on every system I play on? Either you're insane or you misunderstood my point.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Let me rephrase that. In Super Smash Bros. for the N64, Samus had flames already firing out her arm cannon. When Super Smash Bros. was released in 1999, only three Metroid games have been released up until that point: Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, and Super Metroid. She didn't have many beams as she does now.

Since you went deeper into the question I went researching more on her Arm Cannon. It turns out that she does collect the Plasma Beam power up in Metroid II and Super Metroid! I was wrong, it was infact the Plasma Beam. I just didn't know she collected it from earlier games.

Some websites suggest that both the Plasma Beam from the 2D games are the same as the Plasma Beam from 3D games. The Plasma Beam in the 2D games is usually the strongest/last beam you get (only falling short of the Hyper Beam). In Metroid Prime, the Plasma beam is the "strongest"/last beam you get (just short of the Phazon Beam).
.​

I'm just having fun arguing samus semantics, if its getting too off topic for you ill stop =)

That out of the way, We can both argue black and blue that the flames coming out of her gun arent the plasma beam or the power beam, but this isnt a binary argument, its not "if it isnt 1 it must be 0".
Obviously it's not plasma from any game that the plasma is actually the plasma beam (ive been saying prime plasma the whole time, to avoid you thinking im talking about the epic green beam of destruction)

However, since they flames are nothing like ANY beam weapon (not even like plasma beam from prime in behaviour) we can either call it 'fire' or relate it to something that DOES come out of her beam weapon.​
The closest would be primes Plasma beam (or more specifically, the flame thrower missile combo)
Unlike other beams, the Prime plasma shoots a short distance, and has a fire effect.

Yes, prime came after melee and ssb.
Perhaps the fire plasma beam was modelled on it?

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm just having fun arguing samus semantics, if its getting too off topic for you ill stop =)

That out of the way, We can both argue black and blue that the flames coming out of her gun arent the plasma beam or the power beam, but this isnt a binary argument, its not "if it isnt 1 it must be 0".
Obviously it's not plasma from any game that the plasma is actually the plasma beam (ive been saying prime plasma the whole time, to avoid you thinking im talking about the epic green beam of destruction)

However, since they flames are nothing like ANY beam weapon (not even like plasma beam from prime in behaviour) we can either call it 'fire' or relate it to something that DOES come out of her beam weapon.​
The closest would be primes Plasma beam (or more specifically, the flame thrower missile combo)
Unlike other beams, the Prime plasma shoots a short distance, and has a fire effect.

Yes, prime came after melee and ssb.
Perhaps the fire plasma beam was modelled on it?
You know, guys, in the older Metroid games (especially Super Metroid and Zero Mission), her beams stacked. Meaning, once you got a beam, you didn't just switch to it and switch back when needed. It merged with your other beams.

In other words, her attacks in Smash could very easily be the Power Beam AND the Plasma Beam rolled into one.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

lol i know old metroids (my name is from Metroid), and nope, it couldn't be a combo of both =p
im only talking prime plasma here.

I know well that the green beam of death plasma stacked. and once it stacked it was green. and shot through enemies.

Last edited:

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet
Voting...

Winner's Bracket
1. Phazon Suit
2. PED Suit
3. Fusion Suit

Loser's Bracket
1. Power Suit
2. Hazard Shield

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Voting in the only competition that really matters, because apparently people don't know what that real good **** is.

Winner's Bracket:
Phazon Suit

Narpas_sword

So, ive been working on a PSA edit for samus, to give her slot 4 (default dark suit) Dark effects instead of ice and Something that resembles light beam instead of fire.

no idea how long this will take. Started yesterday, got fair and dilt sorted (and taunt switch effects) but the smashes seem more complex.

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
Sorry for the wait.

Doing some... playtesting...
PLAY THIS BEFORE SCROLLING

PHAZON SUIT SAMUS VS LIGHT SUIT SAMUS
(How I imagine the fight below)

Phazon Suit Samus' Last Plea

Light Suit Samus' Commanding Lead

PED SUIT SAMUS VS CORRUPTED HAZARD SHIELD SAMUS
PED Suit Samus' Uphill Battle

Hazard Shield Suit Samus' Struggle

VOTES UPDATED! ROUND 2 WILL END AFTER WEEKEND BREAK!

It's not too late to change your mind. Re-edit your post if you wish to change votes.​

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
And my votes for round 2 are...

Winner's Bracket

1. Light Suit
2. Corrupted Hazard Shield
3. Prime Suit + Multplayer Colors

Loser's Bracket
1. Dark Suit
2. Hazard Shield

And just to mention, I actually ike the Fusion Suit a lot, I just prefer her armored look because I love mecha. That's why I keep voting on the Prime suit. Fun fact! :p

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
Top Bottom