• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Aran's Greatest Threat Yet: Chozo Warrior Support Thread

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since Super Metroid they’ve only been back through Federation cloning & breeding, but I would not put it past Dread to have some of them again by doing the same, or the Chozo faction producing some more because there’s possibly some X still around which was also teased earlier.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Since Super Metroid they’ve only been back through Federation cloning & breeding, but I would not put it past Dread to have some of them again by doing the same, or the Chozo faction producing some more because there’s possibly some X still around which was also teased earlier.
teased as in its part of the set up

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It is implied by the Dread Report that the Kraid we seen might not be the one we know.

Either a X, a plain clone, or a member of his species.

If it's the third, maybe we see another member of Ridley race? Would be cool if you fought it & Big Bird together.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
The Chozo Warrior might not be CP11, but there will always be a next Smash for another chance. Let's see what the future, and Dread in a few days brings us.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
With Metroid Dread out, we now know the name of this character:
his name is Raven Beak
, and he is going to be THE go to fan request for Metroid fans for the next Smash game. It's almost like he was designed specifically for this purpose.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
his name is Raven Beak
, and he is going to be THE go to fan request for Metroid fans for the next Smash game. It's almost like he was designed specifically for this purpose.
I'll be curious to see how things play out in the future, especially if Metroid Prime 4 delivers on Sylux.

I'd definitely prefer the bird, but honestly I don't think we'll be getting a Metroid newcomer for a long long time.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
his name is Raven Beak
Okay, I am thinking about waiting a week to edit the thread title to his proper name, simply to give people some time to play Metroid Dread spoilerfree.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
I'll be curious to see how things play out in the future, especially if Metroid Prime 4 delivers on Sylux.

I'd definitely prefer the bird, but honestly I don't think we'll be getting a Metroid newcomer for a long long time.
I think it depends on whether Dread does well or not. It's obviously gonna get a boost from being on the Switch, and hopefully it pulls the Metroid franchise out of its niche into mainstream status. But that is nothing but speculation as of now.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Did anyone else think of Sephiroth when Raven Beak got one of his wings blown up by Samus?

And then he tore out his other wing like he was just ripping off a bandaid.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I'm not done with the game yet, but literally during his first cutscene I was already sold on the idea of him for Smash 6.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Put this guy in Smash so that (Metroid Dread spoilers)

he can join the fighting dads club with Fox, Bowser, Marth, Chrom, Robin, Ken, Corrin, Simon, Richter, Erdrick, Solo, Luminary, Terry, and Kazuya

We have a lot of dads in Smash huh

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Put this guy in Smash so that (Metroid Dread spoilers)

he can join the fighting dads club with Fox, Bowser, Marth, Chrom, Robin, Ken, Corrin, Simon, Richter, Erdrick, Solo, Luminary, Terry, and Kazuya

We have a lot of dads in Smash huh
Bowser: Hey new guy! I heard that you're a father! It's good to meet a fellow fatherly villain. My kid is Bowser Jr, who's yours?
Raven Beak: Samus Aran.
Bowser: [visible confusion]
Raven Beak:
Bowser:
Raven Beak:
Bowser: ...who's the mother?
Raven Beak: Irrelevant, my daughter has only one parent, me.
Bowser: ?!?!?!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Okay well I've played the game to completion and I think Big Bird is my new most wanted first party. No spoilers, but I think he could be one of the coolest newcomers ever.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While he would be a cool addition (finished my first Dread runthrough at 100% earlier and now in the middle of hard mode), could also see him as a boss or assist trophy if nothing else. Playable character wise Metroid still feels well represented as is unlike before Ultimate. Out of what we have currently, I'd rather see Dark Samus get slowly de-cloned or something. I don't know, but if he somehow gets added while Metroid retains the characters/content it already has, I won't complain.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Finished Dread. My god I am so happy it lived up to my expectations. What a masterpiece.

Also Big Bird is built for Smash. If Sakurai is generous enough to give Metroid a fifth character in Smash 6, then this is definitely my personal frontrunner. Though Sylux or E.M.M.I. would still be pretty cool.

Also we have a perfect replacement for Samus's green alt in Smash!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Cool as that is, it’s definitely not replacing the staple green alt Samus has had for ages, but I guess now you can say said alt represents something.

Dread is great; was worth the anticipation and well worthy of Fusion’s legacy, but I wouldn’t call it #1 out of the series like others are out of hype. Is within my Metroid top 5 though at least and definitely game of the year, not that there was much competition there.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Beat Dread and yeah, Big Bird just shot up my list of characters I want in Smash. Does Metroid need another character? No, the series is already pretty well represented. Heck if it needs anything it's actually more Prime love. But at the same time, who cares if something is "needed" in Smash when it's just plain cool. He should be in Smash simply because he's be cool and fun to play. Like does Smash need another FFVII character? Not really, but that doesn't stop Tifa from being one of my most wanted. At the end of the day I care more about seeing characters that I like and think are cool than trying to balance something as trivial as numbers of series reps.

There's a lot of move set potential here, and there's a ton of fun personality you can translate over too. They captured Ridley's essence so well I'd love to see something like that again.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
For me it's just after asking for Metroid characters for ages and finally get them in the form of Ridley and Dark Samus, I'm satisfied. I feel I would be insatiable if I just kept pushing for whatever Metroid flavor of the month character to the same extent, even if it's my favorite series. That and there's other series I feel could use more characters now. Fire Emblem threw away the idea of "balancing series by number of reps" long ago, so Metroid getting another character wouldn't be egregious or anything, but it's just no longer a top priority of mine. I'd be fine with Raven Beak though, and Tifa as another FF character for that matter.

And yeah, characters aside, the Prime series could still use more content in Smash than anything, especially in soundtrack. Sylux could bring some of that but on the other hand, Raven Beak feels like he'd be cooler to have than anyone else currently.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
anyone else find it funny that samus has access to fox's side special in one of her own games before fox does?
Not only that but...

Samus actually gets to use her Final Smash in game after beating Raven Beak.

I've just beaten Dread and whoa, this makes hungry for more ! I'm also totally down for our Big Bird. Ironically, he could use a few moves that are staple to Samus in Metroid, but never where included in her Smash moveset.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not only that but...

I've just beaten Dread and whoa, this makes hungry for more ! I'm also totally down for our Big Bird. Ironically, he could use a few moves that are staple to Samus in Metroid, but never where included in her Smash moveset.
I finished it yesterday and thought similar

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not only that but...

Just an FYI thing, but
the Hyper Beam in Dread and Samus's final smash the Zero Laser are two different things. I would've loved if the Hyper Beam had been the final smash to begin with instead of a generic giant laser.

This isn't the first time we've seen the Hyper Beam either. It was also in the Super Metroid climax when Mother Brain's attack got absorbed and the Hyper ability got transferred to Samus by the baby when it died. Her absorbing the attack from Raven Beak (which he also used earlier in his boss fight) was basically a callback to that.

That said, the whole Samus metamorphosis thing was the coolest twist, and I'm glad we can look at her green palette alt in Smash in a cool new way now.
Just remembered earlier Dark Samus in Ultimate has a green alt too and she's technically part Metroid... Speaking of, like I said before, you could just slowly de-clone Dark Samus without having to add another character, not that I'm against having Raven Beak. He's a "would be cool to have" kind of choice, but glaring omissions like Dixie Kong would still be a top priority for me to support at this point. I'm sure that's also the case with you, but just to throw that out there while we're here.

Oh yeah, spoiler tags even though it doesn’t seem that spoilery at this point.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh yeah, it's nice how Dread appears to be the first 2D/sidescroller Metroid considered that close up there with Super Metroid. It's like the 2D series' equivalent of Donkey Kong Country 2 vs Tropical Freeze.

I still prefer Super Metroid. Dread plays smoother but Super plays well enough still for me, especially for a game from 27 years ago. It was also my first ever Metroid experience, so some bias there.

I'm fine with people who put Dread at #1 or so. It's just a funny weird feeling seeing Super Metroid having a rival in the 2D Metroid department for the first time. I guess it's how it was for DKC2 fans when TF first came around.

That said, it’s hard to compare SNES vs. Wii U/Switch games because if you go just based off of polish or smoothness, the latter will win almost every time because it has the benefit of getting to build on what came before. Like DKC2 though, Super Metroid holds up really well to still hold its own, with the polish it had for its time, the mechanics still unique to it, etc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Just an FYI thing, but the Hyper Beam in Dread and Samus's final smash the Zero Laser are two different things. I would've loved if the Hyper Beam had been the final smash to begin with instead of a generic giant laser.

This isn't the first time we've seen the Hyper Beam either. It was also in the Super Metroid climax when Mother Brain's attack got absorbed and the Hyper ability got transferred to Samus by the baby when it died. Her absorbing the attack from Raven Beak (which he also used earlier in his boss fight) was basically a callback to that.

That said, the whole Samus metamorphosis thing was the coolest twist, and I'm glad we can look at her green palette alt in Smash in a cool new way now. Just remembered earlier Dark Samus in Ultimate has a green alt too and she's technically part Metroid... Speaking of, like I said before, you could just slowly de-clone Dark Samus without having to add another character, not that I'm against having Raven Beak. He's a "would be cool to have" kind of choice, but glaring omissions like Dixie Kong would still be a top priority for me to support at this point. I'm sure that's also the case with you, but just to throw that out there while we're here.
two things: one use spoiler boxes when talking about the ending of a very recent new release. two dont double post

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even if Raven Beak never gets in Smash, at least there’ll be cool mods for it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Even if Raven Beak never gets in Smash, at least there’ll be cool mods for it.

It's out now! I love the reskin of the morph ball. Wish it could have the cape or the wings, but that's fine, this is basically Raven Beak phase 3 so it works.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I am thinking to write up a draft for a Raven Beak thread for the future if (hopefully when) Smash 6 is officially announced and its speculation forum opens up. It's always good to be prepared.

Also I changed my mind about editing the thread title to swap it out with his name, since not everyone had the opportunity to play Dread yet.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I wouldn't put too much stock into it being "the last". Metroids have been "extinct" since the "last Metroid" was killed back in Super Metroid in 1994.
Well they could always just use Samus's Metroid DNA, but that's basically just a repeat of what they did in Fusion (and Other M), we've seen that story before. If they want to tell stories with Metroids in them, they can always just do it in the Prime games or other games that take place earlier on the timeline.

Top Bottom