• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Aran's Greatest Threat Yet: Chozo Warrior Support Thread

Eldrake

Smash Lord
[Note: This thread is in WIP mode for now. I will expand this post later]
E9zaN1sXEAcVbit.jpg

(Credit to GuilhermeRM_art for stitching the above image up)

What is this?
A support thread for the currently unnamed Chozo Warrior who is looking to be an antagonist, if not the main antagonist of Metroid Dread. They're also known among Metroid fans as Chozo General, Big Bird and other various names. Their official name is not yet known, and the reason I call them Chozo Warrior is because that's what Dread Report Vol 6 calls them.

What's a Chozo and what's special about this Chozo?
Within the Metroid universe, the Chozo are an advanced and mystical precursor alien race of avians who has an important role both in the background of the setting and for raising Samus when she was orphaned and her colony was destroyed by space pirates, meaning that the Chozo made her the warrior she is today. Although they seem like an inherently peaceful species, they also have a dark past and was once a militant warrior race, but that seemed to be all in the past.
chozo1.png

However, Samus Returns, the remake to Metroid II: Return of Samus, revealed in Chozo Memories that there's still some warrior Chozo left, with their leader in particular committing the shocking action of slaughtering a group of peaceful Chozo. The warrior leader is strongly implied to be the Chozo Warrior, especially by the mural below.
chozo2.png

Do the Chozo Warrior have Smash potential?
Almost certainly. The August 2021 Metroid Dread trailer alone showed several abilities that could easily be applicable to a fighting game moveset. The Chozo Warrior even has a command grab. Also the Chozo Warrior has an awe-inspiring arm cannon, just look at the size of that thing, they could probably just use it as a bludgeoning weapon if they felt like it.

This video isolates the Samus vs Chozo fighting parts from the August 2021 trailer, allowing us to have a good idea of what kind of moves they'd have.

Isn't it a little too late for a support thread?
Yes.

Isn't the Chozo Warrior's chances very low at the moment?
Probably.

Does it matter?
No.

The Semi-Official Support List

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
At the very least I would love a mii costume of him, which could be very likely since that's how they've been promoting some recent stuff lately.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That Chozo is rad as hell, but its a bit too early to make any solid claims on what they're like.

I guess a fifth Metroid character could be either the chozo or Sylux.

Thing is, we know basically nothing about either character at this point.

Conversely, we know Samus, Ridley and Dark Samus pretty intimately.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Still want to know a bit more about him before I go into the Big Bad Bird Train, but if he did somehow, by some miracle, made it into Smash, and that he is worthy of the hype when Dread release.

Yeah

I be pretty cool with him getting in, even if the Metroid reps we got in Ultimate is like, 99% perfect as is.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I be pretty cool with him getting in, even if the Metroid reps we got in Ultimate is like, 99% perfect as is.
Yeah honestly.

We currently have every recurring character that's feasible in the game. Samus (twice) and the two recurring villains who aren't utterly massive.

Metroid is in a wonderful spot as of now. That said, I'll always take more.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Yeah honestly.

We currently have every recurring character that's feasible in the game. Samus (twice) and the two recurring villains who aren't utterly massive.

Metroid is in a wonderful spot as of now. That said, I'll always take more.
Same.

That, and I want to see someone unironically say, "ANOTHER METROID CHARACTERS? REALLY?!".

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Considering Sakurai likes to include one character from an upcoming game and Byleth was the most recent example we had of that, I see this as a more likely choice than most people would fathom.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Considering Sakurai likes to include one character from an upcoming game and Byleth was the most recent example we had of that, I see this as a more likely choice than most people would fathom.
well thats cause we're all convinced hes bias for FE

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Definitely support Evil Chozo Dude.

Both Chozo Warrior and E.M.M.I. seem like awesome characters and given the insane amount of hype I've been feeling for Metroid Dread, I'd be down with either one joining Smash, even though we currently know very little in terms of how either one would play. Having four Metroid characters in Ultimate is a blessing as is, but I'm still totally down to get more Metroid in Smash. Of all Nintendo games to shamelessly promote with the final challenger pack, Metroid Dread is a pretty based choice.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai didn't pick Byleth though.

Or Corrin either for that matter.
yes he did. corrin may have been the result of peer pressure but we dont know how much persuading he really needed and from what weve heard so far it sounds more like nintendo have been suggesting games rather than characters

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
i feel the Chozo Warrior is more earning of a boss spot
I mean, a fair amount of people were saying the same thing about Sephiroth before he was added… just a thought.
I don't think it will be a fighter, but most realistically I would like a mii gunner costume.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I would not be upset in the slightest if this bird boi ends the pass as a marketing rep. Metroid deserves as much love as it can get.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
honestly i think mii gunner would be a disservice to the character.
We literally feel that about every character that gets a mii costume, but that's our perspective of it as fans. Kazuya's pack was literally full of things fans felt it was a disservice for the characters they wanted. But it's as simple as Nintendo's priorities being something else and just delivering those characters in whatever other way they could, can't please everybody after all, but they can give something in a different way at least. I came to appreciate Shantae at least for giving us something other than a PNG to look at. I would rather get a mii costume of the chozo guy than only the predictable spirit that we will get in a spirit event for Metroid Dread eventually, lol, at least it's something 🤷‍♂️.

Only character I've liked in this pass was Sephiroth, but I made my peace with everything I got in general anyway (like the veterans, banjo and terry), so if I can get at least some good mii costumes regardless of what fandom the final character is gonna please, at least I would appreciate that from this pack, rather than not getting anything at all from it.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I am not saying it is bad. i think the reduction in size diminishes their boss status too much.
laughs in Ridley

This Chozo would definitely need to be downsized to be workable though for playable status, and if they can do it with Ridley after years of convincing, they can do it with him.

Whatever the evil Chozo leader's name is, he's respectable in that he'll be Samus's greatest challenge yet. As the trailer showed he'll high above her, at least initially. If Samus wins it's because she's the series protagonist and she'll get some kind of boost or powerup to making overcoming him possible, but either way, this will rightfully be her toughest challenge. Villains that are stronger than the hero conventionally is good writing 101. Even Ridley at times gains an edge on her and is stronger in the physical sense, but she wins because she has the skills and tools to beat him.

E.M.M.I's a nice supporting character but as expected, ultimate bird warrior is the real star of the show here. Amazing too how much he makes Sylux feel irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I mean no matter how Metroid Prime 4 turns out, it's still another prequel at the end of the day, while Dread is the latest in the timeline. Metroid's end game so to speak.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I made my peace with everything I got in general anyway (like the veterans, banjo and terry), so if I can get at least some good mii costumes I would appreciate that from this pack, rather than not getting anything at all from it. We literally feel that about every character that gets a mii costume,
It is more of downgrading a boss to a mii costume seems a little too much to me. I felt as though we got mostly shafted with the first Fighter's pass

This Chozo would definitely need to be downsized to be workable though for playable status, and if they can do it with Ridley after years of convincing, they can do it with him.
Chozo Warrior as playable or Boss or both to me. Mii costume just is not worth it.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I love how the Metroid community has dubbed him Big Bird.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hah. I wonder if he ever knew Old Bird.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

It was one thing to see new Samus fan art regularly again because of the Dread suit, but it's another kind of surreal to see such for the Chozo, who were always obscure figures before.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That render is amazing.

Wonder if we will see him with the mask off.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
That render is amazing.

Wonder if we will see him with the mask off.
I feel it depend if we will only see him in this game, or if he survive & he become a recurring antagonist.

After all, Sakamoto did say that Dread is the end of one story, and the start of a new one, and if the Space Pirates, the X & The Metroid stay deads, we gonna need some newcomers to fill those big shoes. (Yes there's Sylux, but we still know jack about him)

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I feel it depend if we will only see him in this game, or if he survive & he become a recurring antagonist.

After all, Sakamoto did say that Dread is the end of one story, and the start of a new one, and if the Space Pirates, the X & The Metroid stay deads, we gonna need some newcomers to fill those big shoes. (Yes there's Sylux, but we still know jack about him)
He said it would be the end of the story with Samus and the Metroids, though I expect we’ll still see the titular creatures in other titles like the Prime games before they became extinct. Even with the main sidescroller games though, I think there’ll always be some staples for brand familiarity’s sake. A mix of old and new like what Dread has given; the old being Kraid and likely other familiar enemies and bosses in some form. Sometimes Space Pirates are the main focus, sometimes they’re just a 3rd party with their presence, and past games showed they can work as either.

Agree though on this Chozo. We’ll have to see if he’s recurring or just another one-off. Sylux is more of an outlier since his story in MP4 or whatnot will be another prequel arc, but where the series goes after Dread is anyone’s guess.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
He said it would be the end of the story with Samus and the Metroids, though I expect we’ll still see the titular creatures in other titles like the Prime games before they became extinct. Even with the main sidescroller games though, I think there’ll always be some staples for brand familiarity’s sake. A mix of old and new like what Dread has given; the old being Kraid and likely other familiar enemies and bosses in some form. Sometimes Space Pirates are the main focus, sometimes they’re just a 3rd party with their presence, and past games showed they can work as either.

Agree though on this Chozo. We’ll have to see if he’s recurring or just another one-off. Sylux is more of an outlier since his story in MP4 or whatnot will be another prequel arc, but where the series goes after Dread is anyone’s guess.
I do agree on the Prime side, though I will say that if the pirates come back again, they better give good reasons for it since Metroid is a series that has a pretty good track record when it come to fanservice that make sense in-universe. (ignoring Other M)

Not to say I wouldn't love seeing old faces, if anything, a balanced of new & old character/ideas is the best thing future games could do. Dread especially seem to be doing just that, buut we gotta wait the full release before we can say anything for sure.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
even when a character dies thats not to say theyre out of the series for good. i mean how many times has ridley been blown up?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yep, and since Kraid is back despite all traces of him being destroyed when Zebes blew up, the "Ridley is perma-dead so cannot appear after Fusion" argument has lost much of its weight.

Although wouldn’t be surprised if Dread's Kraid was a clone or something, but if he can be back despite everything, so can most others in reappearing in some form. Ridley doesn't have to be in every game mind you, but he's too valuable for the brand to just take a permanent hiatus, especially after his progression in Smash cementing his all-star status. Dread will definitely be one of the best games for me with or without him, although wouldn't be surprised if he appeared somewhere again too. If they're bringing back other classic foes besides Kraid, they'd have to go pretty out of their way not to include Ridley in some form. The underwater depths area of Dread makes me hopeful for seeing Draygon again too if anything, who like Kraid, hadn't had an appearance since Super Metroid timeline wise.

But yeah, Metroid usually does a good job in explaining how so-and-so is back, so I'm not worried about that. I'm not sure what to expect far as the Chozo Warlord, but he'll definitely leave a powerful impact whether he turns out to be recurring or a one-off.

Oddball

Smash Lord
He said it would be the end of the story with Samus and the Metroids,
I wouldn't put too much stock into it being "the last". Metroids have been "extinct" since the "last Metroid" was killed back in Super Metroid in 1994.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't put too much stock into it being "the last". Metroids have been "extinct" since the "last Metroid" was killed back in Super Metroid in 1994.
but the dev team never said it was the last story back then

Top Bottom