• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
To be technical: Card Game Characters.

They started off as the card game made by Nintendo. They got moved to the gaming consoles when the cards died away (or started to at least.) Animation departments saw how popular the cards were so they started them in their own TV shows.

RjtheGreat

Smash Rookie
Pokemon orginated as an Anime/Manga in Japan. The card game came much later.

The card game was NOT made my Nintendo either.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Well, see... I don't live in Japan (nor do I keep up with stuff that happens there.) I'm talking from the fat-and-lazy-American-who-is-awake-at-4AM-when-he-needs-lots-of-sleep-for-work-in-the-morning-point of view so I really don't care. I never heard of the show until AFTER the cards came out...so that's all I got to say about it. If I'm wrong...oh well.

RjtheGreat

Smash Rookie
But your previous comments had so much certainty. How can you turn around and just say you don't care?

You even hit the "to be technical" move

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Well, I thought I was right... But then again, I don't really keep up with WHERE (most) characters start up. I thought Bano/Kazooie and Conker were Nintendo characters for the LONGEST time ...but then (about two years ago) I found a site that told me otherwise.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
To most people, Pikachu (and all Pokemon) will be known as a Nintendo character. Someone like Naruto, while having appeared in a Gamecube game or two, as well as Jump Superstars, is still considered to be a manga character.

Don't try to hit on technical issues when you yourself know exactly what Sakurai means.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that some of the Melee characters won't return, but there's only so much they can be expected to do. Nintendo is pressing to get this game released sooner rather than later (I'm sure they would love a Q3 2007 release, as unlikely as that sounds), so they have lots to do. And if they're going to be re-tooling characters in order to fit in with their new style, you can bet balancing characters will be a huge concern. Suddenly, bringing over all 25/26 characters is a big task, especially when you're working on everything new in addition.

Personally, I don't think they'll be dropping any of the main characters. They'll probably only be dropping some of the clones (someone like Pichu, who HAL even admitted was thrown in as a joke character). We won't see any of the big name Nintendo characters dropped, of course, and since everyone is being retooled for the new style/speed of the game, it doesn't seem likely that they'll play similarly to their Melee counterparts anyway. So to people who demand their character remain in because their play style was so unique (Falco, Ganon, etc), it's unlikely that they would be the same type of character in the new game. You'll find someone new to fit that style.

As far as new characters from third parties, if they're only bringing in at most 2 more, I think the smart money is on Megaman and Sonic. Megaman was in their official poll, and there was serious desire for Sonic to be in Melee. If they can get the rights, they'll do it. They'd make very unique characters; Megaman would be so much more than a Samus clone (he'd have all his boss battles to draw from), and Sonic is unlike any character currently in the game.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
None of the original twelve will be gone (Nintendo isn't stupid like that) and a couple of them (Fox and Falcon) might even get a few adjustments. Peach, Shiek, Zelda, Marth, Bowser, Ganondorf, Falco, and Mewtwo will all be back with new/upgraded movesets (hopefully.) Mr. G&W and the Ice Climbers are about fifty/fifty in my book. Y. Link, Roy, Pichu, and Doc are all gone as far as I'm concerned (even though Y. Link is one of my best.) Wario, MetaKnight, Zamus, Pit, and Snake are already confirmed. And (assuming they go to 35 characters) Sonic, Diddy Kong, Krystal, Wolf, King K. Rool, Ridley, Waluigi, and MegaMan (though I'd prefer Tails over MM) have all yet to be confirmed.

That's just my look on the new roster. Night all...

Luigi Dude

Smash Rookie
Pokemon is a Nintendo franchise and has always been a Nintendo franchise. The first Pokemon games came out in 1995 in Japan. They were Red and Green and then a year later Blue came out.

The anime was made in 1997 after how popular the games had become. The card game also came out around that time.

In the Japanese version the main charactor of Red, Green and Blue is named Satoshi and his rival is Shigeru. They are based off of the creator of the Pokemon series Satoshi Tajiri and Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto helped Tajiri alot in the creation of Red and Green and that's why he named the rival after him as a way of thanking Miyamoto.

krynn

Smash Cadet
the first character update was the 18th, the second was the 25th. will there be on next week thursday? all the new chars fromt the trailer are now shown, but there is still one more empty char slot on the site. are we do for a suprise next thursday? *crosses fingers*

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
krynn said:
the first character update was the 18th, the second was the 25th. will there be on next week thursday? all the new chars fromt the trailer are now shown, but there is still one more empty char slot on the site. are we do for a suprise next thursday? *crosses fingers*
Snake.

Then hopefully after that we'll see more, or Sakurai will just play with our minds and put in Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu. :laugh:

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
krynn said:
I assume you haven't watched the trailer completely? ;)

Solid Snake will be the next character. Can't wait to see some in-game shots of him.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I can wait on Snake. i mean, according to...Sakurai said it?.....that they didn't even HAVE a moveset for Snake when the trailer was out. I'd rather wait and see him when he's farther along in his creation.

What I WANT to see is a section about 'Supers'. I want this whole thing cleared up, and I want Sakurai to clear the minds of those who doubt that they are items.

SmashZ

Smash Cadet
THK said:
Snake.

Then hopefully after that we'll see more, or Sakurai will just play with our minds and put in Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu. :laugh:
Doubtful, unless they're returning characters. Sakurai only revealed SSBM's secret characters after the game was released.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I wouldn't mind if some clone characters, like Pichu and Dr. Mario, are removed.

To anyone saying "OMFG I play as that character!!! >=(", think about it this way: You know how character mechanics changed from SSB to SSBM? The same thing is going to happen again, so if those clones did come back in SSBB, they would play differently and you probably wouldn't like them any more anyways.

Now, I agree that there are characters they absolutely can't remove (i.e; all of the ones from the original game, minus maybe Jigglypuff...), but clones aren't so important (except for Ganondorf, really they're all pretty redundant).

krynn

Smash Cadet
doh. no i have the trailer on my desktop. i just forgot about snake. *bashes head into keyboard*
lol, no wonder tyhere was only one slot left for characters!

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
odinm4gick said:
woooo, mega-man for teh win!!
Sonic and Megaman are looking like the most requested two third party characters left to add. I hope we get at least one of the blue ones (Megaman = nice to have; Sonic = MUST HAVE!)

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I originally wasn't for Sonic in Brawl either, but he's growing on me. He would be a good addition as far as third party companies go; in the old school days, it was ALWAYS Mario vs. Sonic, and SNES vs. Genesis. Now that they're all friends, it'd be the ultimate old-school tribute inclusion.

Megaman is basically a no-brainer. Perhaps the character with *the* richest heritage and history, and if they're going for sort of a "history of videogames" here (or, rather, Nintendo + 3 other franchises), Sonic, Metal Gear, and Megaman seem like the three best choices. You could make an argument for Bomberman, but I think Megaman will get the nod if Capcom agrees. Besides, there are a wealth of moveset ideas for him that they can play around with. Plus, a "grown-up" Megaman would look really sweet.

Personally, I don't think they will drop Jigglypuff. I sure hope they don't, anyway. She's an extremely unique fighter, and one they probably won't mess around with too much. Rest is such a great move. Besides, she was in SSB and Melee, I think she's staying. She's definitely not expendable.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
hm...you know how when we press <A or <B and it does the exact same move as >A or >B but in the oppisite direction? you think Brawl will introduce complete new moves for <A/<B? or you thinkt hat would be too complictaed?

cuz remember in the transition from 64 to melee? they added a >B move...do you think adding a different <A/<B or a A+B(simutaneously) would overcomplicate the gameplay?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I am scared of the new game director.. i think hes changing to much

but however i think that the characters getting cut will be the newcomers to SSBM not the ones whos been there since the first SSB so jiggly and ness are staying... but i fear GAW might be a choice :cry: Oh god im scared

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Magik0722 said:
Lol. Best line of the day. That's hilarious. Like "yo" just said, it's the same guy who directed the first two games, not to mention the creator of the whole series.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Milpitas (nor-cal) &amp; Riverside (so-cal)
Magik0722 said:

but however i think that the characters getting cut will be the newcomers to SSBM not the ones whos been there since the first SSB so jiggly and ness are staying... but i fear GAW might be a choice :cry: Oh god im scared
same director, Masahiro Sakurai, just different team, Sora.

Conker1

Smash Ace
I would rather have Bomberman than Megaman or Sonic. If they were to add 2 more 3rd party, I'd have to go with Bomberman..and I guess Sonic so he can finally fight Mario.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
I've realized that i care less about which new characters will be added, than which characters form Melee will be cut. I bet they already know who they are going to cut too. I mean its not like they'll be half way through making Pichu and say, "You know what? He's still horrible. Cut'em!."

Its understandable that they dont know which characters they're going to add, but the least they could do is tell us which characters are going to bite the dust.

*edit* Okay, you might be able to tell that im in a bad mood right now. Dont worry. As soon as i find somthing to punch i'll be okay.

krynn

Smash Cadet
well, we all were scared when melee came out with those new changes, and i think most everyone likes them. we just need to wait and play with it when brawl comes out. and adjust like we did before. i think we will love it

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
krynn said:
well, we all were scared when melee came out with those new changes, and i think most everyone likes them. we just need to wait and play with it when brawl comes out. and adjust like we did before. i think we will love it
I would be more inclined to call them additions than "changes." Sure mabe a few things were replaced, but it seemed to me that things were mostly added.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's statement about some characters not going to reappear is a hoax. He wants us to be surprised when Pichu is not an unlockable character, but in the default roster. Then we'll be like, dude, wth?! Don't tell me they removed Fox!

Then there will be a new character, named Blox, and he will resemble Fox's moves but he will be a Tetris piece.

Better yet, name him Pac-man and give him the power to become invulnerable by moving the joystick.

Then the IceClimbers will be replaced by Bad Dudes. Because not only is that the right thing to do, it's stated in the bible:

Thou shall addeth Bad Dudes to thy roster.

B01001101ownz

Smash Apprentice
This is great news that they're trying to include many characters, GREAT TOPIC, cannot wait for the next bit of news

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
SmashZ said:
Doubtful, unless they're returning characters. Sakurai only revealed SSBM's secret characters after the game was released.

Like I said, hopefully. I'm not getting my hopes up though, but I'm pretty sure I'll be pleased with the roster, even if some people are missing.

And I, myself, would like Megaman or Bomberman over Sonic too.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
THK said:
Like I said, hopefully. I'm not getting my hopes up though, but I'm pretty sure I'll be pleased with the roster, even if some people are missing.

And I, myself, would like Megaman or Bomberman over Sonic too.
Bomberman is dead. After his Nintendo 64 games, his games have sucked terribly. Ever play Bomberman Jetters?(sorry for bringing bad memories for those who have)

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Marshigio said:
Bomberman is dead. After his Nintendo 64 games, his games have sucked terribly. Ever play Bomberman Jetters?(sorry for bringing bad memories for those who have)
I agree with Jetters being horrible, but Generation (the game before it) was good imo. Jetters was a mere, horrid shadow of it.

But you really can't count out Bomberman's credibility, I mean hey, he has a launch game for Wii I believe.

Sixwinter-Kubata

Smash Rookie
He does not. The launch titles for the Wii are on the Nintendo webpage dedicated to the console, and there's eight of them.

Mario Galaxy, Excite Truck, Wii sports, Metroid Prime 3, WarioWare, Legend of Zelda, Disaster Day of Crisis, and Project Hammer.

Darth Wedel

Smash Apprentice
personally, i prefer pichu to pikachu, but they simply cant remove pikachu coz hes basically... pokémon, if you get me there..
they probably will remove pichu.

i prefer doc to mario also, but they'll pobably remove him too...

maybe ganon or falco, but they're really different from their clones.

possibly roy too, replaced by a newer FE char.

and young link... he can go, if you ask me, along with G&W and (hopefully) bowser

Top Bottom