• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samox Details "The Next Episode" - Launches Kickstarter

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Travis "Samox" Beauchamp, maker of arguably the best eSports and competitive gaming documentary ever, has launched a $26,000 kickstarter for a full feature length film. "The Next Episode" will feature Armada, one of the most dominant Smashers in history and winner of Apex 2012, Apex 2013, and Genesis 2. Beauchamp released late in 2013 "The Smash Brothers" documentary to immediately positive reviews. The 9 episode series, including the remastered versions, have already garnered over 1.5 million views. Produced on a shoe-string Kickstarter budget of only $9,000, Samox reached into his own pockets to get the documentary to completed - estimated total cost to produce the original 9 episode series was $14,000. It was universally acclaimed as an amazing production and has helped drive Smash into a Platinum Age.

The huge success of "The Smash Brothers" comes in stark contrast to other eSports documentaries. The often delayed "Sons of Starcraft" documentary, by Jeff Alejos, raised $42,000 on Kickstarter. After over a year with no updates past the original due date, the endeavor had to be rescued with additional funds from onGamer's Kim Rom just to be completed. The final product was received poorly and many viewers saw "Sons of Starcraft" as one of the worst documentaries created for eSports and an example of how giving funds through Kickstarter can go wrong.

With what Samox has already shown he can do in "The Smash Brothers", there should be little fear of a poor, Jeff Alejos, quality production. Instead, Smashers should expect from Travis Beauchamp an epic narrative, cohesive story telling, original and varied music, and the perfect finishing touch that comes with such a talented producer. Those who donate to "The Next Episode" can expect frequent updates from Beauchamp - he delivered near weekly updates during the production of "The Smash Brothers".

Donate to the Kickstarter today and be a part of "The Next Episode"

the wizard howl

Smash Apprentice
woah woah woah,
the GOAT's episode ends up being about hungrybox's johns and armada gets a full-length film?
For as much homework as he's done sometimes it seems like Samox hasn't done any.

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
The doc was basically what made me take my Smash to the competitive level. I'm only 5 months in and I've already met so many incredible people and had many awesome experiences. It makes me proud to be apart of this new era. I couldn't not donate, and I hope others feel the same way

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'm surprised there has yet to be a documentary on the transition to the creation of Project M's origins, it's development, demos released over time, and it's consistent inclusion in tournaments today. The original documentary was awesome. I have high hopes for this one as well. Although, it should not focus on only one player. That would ruin the documentary for me. A documentary of something like smash should stick to the formula of interviewing other top veteran players and what not. They seem to know what they're doing. Fellow smashers, we must unite and fund this to the ends of Final Destination.

@ JCDied4U JCDied4U Wife had an incredible back story. He was so well spoken in the documentary. He was so formal and passionate with every word he said. I could listen to that guy talk for hours on end. He deserves his own episode. His passionate speaking drove much of the strong happy feels throughout the documentary for me. Seeing someone be so passionate about Smash made me incredibly happy to see. The feels. Nearly teared up.

Last edited:

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
There are so many more players and things for him to talk about, I hope he keeps making episodes and films!

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I'm surprised there has yet to be a documentary on the transition to the creation of Project M's origins, it's development, demos released over time, and it's consistent inclusion in tournaments today. The original documentary was awesome. I have high hopes for this one as well. Although, it should not focus on only one player. That would ruin the documentary for me. A documentary of something like smash should stick to the formula of interviewing other top veteran players and what not. They seem to know what they're doing.
WIFE needs to be in this one as well, he was arguably the best part of the documentary for me.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Where's the HomeMadeWaffles episode? His 2500+ videos on Youtube and the home of Wombo Combo deserve a spot.

I feel Brandon was a big part of Melee's sustained popularity in the 09' -11' era.

Last edited:

K.Louis

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2836-0421-0500
I'm surprised there has yet to be a documentary on the transition to the creation of Project M's origins, it's development, demos released over time, and it's consistent inclusion in tournaments today. The original documentary was awesome. I have high hopes for this one as well. Although, it should not focus on only one player. That would ruin the documentary for me. A documentary of something like smash should stick to the formula of interviewing other top veteran players and what not. They seem to know what they're doing. Fellow smashers, we must unite and fund this to the ends of Final Destination.
I think what made the Smash Doc so interesting was that it was focused on the history of the players rather the developments of the game/metagame. I think PM is still a bit too young for that ATM.

According to Samox Waffles is one the people he wants to interview the most, and it's on the Mango/Armada rivalry so PP/Hbox/M2K will inevitably be in it too.

TreK

Is "that guy"
The question being, do I help Melee grow even bigger now that I know that the one unit thing was indeed bullcrap like I suspected last year.

Oh, so many dilemnas.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Aw yeah. Return of the Smash. Is he going to use it as a continuation of The Smash Brothers, or a separate series altogether?

Last edited:

lord narwhal

Smash Apprentice
Isai was by far my favorite to hear about, had no idea he wrecked Melee so hard back in the day. A falcon that moves as well as he did is still hard to find. Wish there was more to expand on.

Ruben

Smash Cadet
Isai was by far my favorite to hear about, had no idea he wrecked Melee so hard back in the day. A falcon that moves as well as he did is still hard to find. Wish there was more to expand on.
His episode was just the perfect amount of melancholy, by far the most artistic episode as well. Plus it was cool identifying with a fellow Mexican. Lol

P0pz

Smash Rookie
Aw yeah. Return of the Smash. Is he going to use it as a continuation of The Smash Brothers, or a separate series altogether?
I think it's going to be treated as a sort of standalone bonus episode, in the same style as the previous ones. In any case I'm really hype about this, the older episodes were awesome and I want to see it continue.

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
This documentary is absolutely why I got back into Melee.

+1
This, to the max. I wasn't even competitive casually before I watched that. I am so psyched for this.

Also, I would absolutely love to hear more from Wife, and HBox, too. They were well-spoken, knew what they were talking about, and were really passionate about their game and their life. I think Wife's interview(s) basically ran the commentary for the whole documentary.

Ruben

Smash Cadet
This, to the max. I wasn't even competitive casually before I watched that. I am so psyched for this.

Also, I would absolutely love to hear more from Wife, and HBox, too. They were well-spoken, knew what they were talking about, and were really passionate about their game and their life. I think Wife's interview(s) basically ran the commentary for the whole documentary.
Yes! I'm practicing in hopes of trying to become a pro right now. I might go for the melee scene, but I'll probably start with the new game, and it's all because if the doc. Wife's commentary was just so awesome; it held the entire series together. HBox was just very smart and pleasant to listen too, when he spoke of the real reason smash tourneys are so special. It was just awesome.

Kontrol

Smash Rookie
The original documentary is the absolute reason my and all my roommates got back into smash. Ever since watching it, almost every night we all get together and smash.

This summer were planning to drive around to all the local-ish tournaments, just to get a feel for the actual competitive scene.

The hype is real.

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if this documentary, as it focuses on Armada, will include how he also plays Project M. Probably not, since they didn't mention it in the other documentary videos, but it would be nice.

Top Bottom