• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

same roster=bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromepenguin

Smash Rookie
I actually think it was a good idea. That way those who can't afford a Wiiu won't feel like they're missing out on anything, or those who don't want to buy both the 3ds and Wiiu won't be upset. It would seem a little greedy to vary the roster in my opinion. I can see the profit benefit, though, but that'd only be if the 3ds offered exclusives as well. Otherwise people would be more tempted to just wait for the Wiiu version.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I get tired of seeing the "but then the 3DS owners would be screwed over" argument. This is a business, ffs. While the games sharing a roster does mean that the consumers don't get screwed over, it also means that Nintendo is screwing themselves over, as the Wii U is the system that needs all the help it can get, but a lot of people will just be getting the 3DS version since they have the same roster anyway. Thus further ensuring the failure of the Wii U.

And it's not like the Wii U costs that much anyway. Even if someone doesn't have a job, surely they have plenty of things they no longer care about that they could sell to pay for it. I made over $200 just selling like 10 action figures on ebay not too long ago. It's not hard.
The only way to fix that would be to not release the 3DS version. Releasing it with fewer characters would make people bitter, not releasing it at all would make it like every past Smash.

I, at least, think the ability to play on a TV, and the unique stages and (presumably) modes like Event mode or whatever is unique there, will be well worth getting a U. I don't even own one, there's just a big draw to being able to play on a large screen with friends that isn't quite met by playing on a handheld.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
However, so far the 3DS version seems to have more modes, and since when do nintendo fans give a sh$# about hd graphics?
Regardless, I'm getting the wii u version.
It's almost as if they're saying information of the Wii U version for once the 3DS version is released worldwide, as to not spoil the hype.

Morbi

Scavenger
It was a horrible idea, certainly, it is almost as though they do not want to have a reasonable incentive for consumers to buy the Wii U version. One can only hope that the Wii U version has a lot more exclusive stages, modes, and whatnot. Otherwise, I do not see why any competent individual that is not utterly passionate about Smash would buy the game a second time at a higher price, let alone buy the Wii U to play it on. It is not a feasible plan in the slightest, therefore, I maintain the hope that they have something great in store for us!

Obligatory Ice Climbers demand. :4jigglypuff:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
The only way to fix that would be to not release the 3DS version. Releasing it with fewer characters would make people bitter, not releasing it at all would make it like every past Smash.

I, at least, think the ability to play on a TV, and the unique stages and (presumably) modes like Event mode or whatever is unique there, will be well worth getting a U. I don't even own one, there's just a big draw to being able to play on a large screen with friends that isn't quite met by playing on a handheld.
Not saying they should have released the 3DS version with fewer characters, but they could have each had an exclusive character or two so there would be more incentive for people to buy both versions. But as it stands with the 3DS version coming out first and being cheaper, there's a lot of people who don't see much incentive in buying the Wii U version.

Personally, I care more about the success of my favorite video game company than I do about the "but I can only get 1 version 1st world problem" crowd.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
I'm of the mind, that had Nintendo waited to release the 3DS after the Wii U, this wouldn't nearly be as much of a "is it hype enough?" type of problem. Smash on the Wii U is no doubt going to be the 'grandest' experience, so why spoil the fundamental content of the game with the lesser of the two versions? I'm not trying to knock the 3DS version, but in all seriousness, I'm pretty sure the Wii U Smash will be the quintessential version to have when clinically comparing the two.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am really annoyed that the I want only the 3ds version crowd that thanks there entitled to the same roster as the more expensive version. If you don't want to buy both then don't no one is forcing you to you just don't get the extra characters it's a simple as that. If you don't have a specific system then you don't play the system exclusive games.

being the same roster has cost(don't care what sakurai said there just red heirings)
-ice climbers, they are even finished on the wii u
- no pokemon trainer
- transformation characters being gone
- any other unique playstyles they could not do because the 3ds could not do it

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Have you not seen the overwhelming reactions to Mario Kart 8?

Only reason the same roster=bad idea issue makes sense is if the transformations/multiple characters are being hindered by the 3ds's power. I know Sakurai says he's separating characters to make switching out void, but I'm still thinking the 3DS not being able to handle it was a huge factor in that decision
So you're saying that the 3DS is to blame for Ivysaur's loss?

Errday I'm wishing more and more that this version wasn't a thing

Niala

Smash Ace
Let's assume for a minute that they had announced the WiiU version would have more characters-- then who would buy the 3DS version? Characters are the one thing they can't have different between games, because, as stated, they provide a huge portion of the game to so many players. Having a different set of characters in either game could therefore invalidate one of the two altogether, which is a terrible business decision.

cg0rz152

Smash Rookie
I still think it would have been a better marketing decision to make the rosters different on each version similar to what they did with the stage lists and the game modes as well. (Yet, I see hardly anyone complaining about that.)

After all, Nintendo has done similar the Pokemon series for years now. Just make it where you get a few exclusive characters on the 3Ds and the Wii U then throw in some cross platform trading and suddenly they'd be rolling in cash because there would be a big incentive to buy both versions. Suddenly people that only own a 3Ds will think about getting a Wii U and vice versa.

Though many would consider that very anti-consumer for Nintendo, need I point out this is also the same company that's releasing the New 3Ds months later for the US which would have been perfect for Smash Bros. So now if you never had a 3Ds before Smash comes out, you either have to wait until the New 3Ds hits the shelves to get the game or buy both and sell your old 3Ds. So in all honesty, I don't see a reason they couldn't stoop to making characters exclusive in Smash.

Plus, the fact that the ice climbers were cut from the Wii U when they already had a working version means that the time they spent creating that character was wasted. Time they could have spent developing another character that didn't get in.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Imagine how you'd feel if one of your favorite characters showed up on the version you didn't intend to buy. Having different rosters would be awful.
I redact this post in loving memory of the Ice Climbers. Having them on just one version would have been leagues better than not having them at all.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
I still think it would have been a better marketing decision to make the rosters different on each version similar to what they did with the stage lists and the game modes as well. (Yet, I see hardly anyone complaining about that.)

After all, Nintendo has done similar the Pokemon series for years now. Just make it where you get a few exclusive characters on the 3Ds and the Wii U then throw in some cross platform trading and suddenly they'd be rolling in cash because there would be a big incentive to buy both versions. Suddenly people that only own a 3Ds will think about getting a Wii U and vice versa.
Curse you, cg0rz152, for making almost the exact post I wanted to!

I think the rosters should ultimately be the same so you don't potentially miss out on the character (characters being the single most important thing in the game) you want because you lack the hardware, but I would definitely support Pokemon style cross platform unlocks.

That said, if the 3DS version is limiting the possible characters in the game (such as Ice Climbers) then I think it better if it did not exist, but that's another topic for another time.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just noticed that this got a major bump yesterday after being dead for several months. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom