• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Salt Fest May 10-12 Brawl/Melee - May 10th, 2013 - Salt Lake City, UT

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If I remember correctly, I think ASLC said that there will be streaming if his friend with his equipment can make it but he wasn't sure if he was going to be able to.

So if it's not too hard, that might be nice. That way there's at least one setup being streamed, and possibly a second.
I'm not sure if running multiple streams simultaneously would be a good idea, in regards to both space and Internet bandwidth, but I can bring all my capture equipment anyway to record if not stream, at least.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Internet bandwidth won't be an issue, since the University of Utah's internet is crazy. I get ~60 Mbps download and ~30 Mbps upload on my phone through Wi-Fi, and all of the official Salt Fest streams are going to be through a wired connection so that will be even better. I heard that the U of U is the first 5 places ever to have internet and therefore is the backbone of the internet, which is why it's so fast.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
Meh. I talked to ASLC about bringing my streaming equipment and he seemed less than enthusiastic, but you could try talking to him.
No, you asked about streaming the monthly and I said that we would not be streaming at all that month.

Hey I just noticed this thread lol. Do you guys need me to bring my capture equipment or anything, or does the organization have streaming covered already?
We currently have streaming covered for everything except for Smash at this point so I would love it if you or anyone else has streaming equipment so that we can get Smash streamed as well.

Also, here's something that will probably interest those who are coming from out of state. This was taken from the Salt Fest facebook page from earlier today:
Hey everyone, looking to book your hotel for Salt Fest? Well, you're in luck! For every room booked at the hotel, we'll also be giving one weekend badge for that room as well! That's one badge per room so, if you're sharing a room, you still get one badge.

Make sure to email your hotel reservation to registration@utahfightcircuit.com in order to get the badge.

Book here and mention Salt Fest to get a low rate of only $86 per night and then email your reservation for free badge! It doesn't get much better than that.

http://www.saltfest.org/hotel--travel.html

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Internet bandwidth won't be an issue, since the University of Utah's internet is crazy. I get ~60 Mbps download and ~30 Mbps upload on my phone through Wi-Fi, and all of the official Salt Fest streams are going to be through a wired connection so that will be even better. I heard that the U of U is the first 5 places ever to have internet and therefore is the backbone of the internet, which is why it's so fast.
60/30 you say? lol

But that's good to know. ASLC, will I have to bring stuff like a table for the commentary setup, etc. or will that all be provided?

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
60/30 you say? lol
But that's good to know. ASLC, will I have to bring stuff like a table for the commentary setup, etc. or will that all be provided?
We have more than enough tables so that's no problem. What all would you need so I can figure that part out and then I can tell you what other things we have. I'm assuming you'll be wanting a projector as well.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A projector would actually be really cool even though I have no idea how I'd configure it, lol. Maybe I'll learn on the fly?
Basically I just need a table reasonably close to the main setup and big enough for equipment (laptop, audio mixer, monitor), myself, and two commentators.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
A projector would actually be really cool even though I have no idea how I'd configure it, lol. Maybe I'll learn on the fly?
Basically I just need a table reasonably close to the main setup and big enough for equipment (laptop, audio mixer, monitor), myself, and two commentators.
That is easily doable. I can get you as many tables as you need.

Just so you all know, because this is actually very important, we've cut Sunday from Salt Fest. This means that the convention is now May 10-11th and NO LONGER May 10-12th. The reason is because we had a lot of people voice that they will not be able to attend and/or prefer not to attend because of Mother's Day.

This means that the schedule is being changed. Basically, all events that were to occur on Sunday are being moved to Friday and Saturday. I know that a majority of you would like to have Smash tournaments start on Saturday but we now have to see how a lot of you would feel if we run some pools on Friday night and then continue on on Saturday.

Give me your thoughts and/or suggestions so that I may accommodate you all as best as I can.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Isn't M2k planning on flying in late Friday night? And also for everyone that is still in school/had to get work off, that'll make Friday hard. I could do Friday myself, but I think running it all on Saturday would be best. We just need to make sure we get as many setups as possible as well as running everything very effectively

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
I have to agree that running it all on Saturday would actually be ideal for everyone. Anyone else have input on this?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
A whole day being canceled due to Mother's Day... :ohwell:

Isn't M2k planning on flying in late Friday night?
He was actually planning on getting here on Saturday in the late afternoon / early evening. He would still be able to do pools that way. But if we're without Sunday, now, I'll either have to start on Friday or really early on Saturday, which means that M2K has to find another way to get here earlier. But he has expressed that getting here earlier would cost him significantly more, making him not very willing to do it unless he gets financial help.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
No, you asked about streaming the monthly and I said that we would not be streaming at all that month.
Well then, to clear it up: I can scrounge up equipment to stream at any event. Just let me know.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Does anyone know when the tournaments for Brawl, Melee, and P4U start? I need to figure out my scheduling and know what days I might need to take off from work.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Does anyone know when the tournaments for Brawl, Melee, and P4U start? I need to figure out my scheduling and know what days I might need to take off from work.
I don't know times. I just know that it will take place Friday and Saturday due to Sunday being withdrawn from the event.

Have you sorted out housing yet?

Rayn of Utah

Smash Cadet
Hey, how do I sign up. I'm new here so please bare with me, I really have been waiting for a tourney in Utah for a long time...

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
The first post should have the link to the main website, where you can get additional information related to the event, including how to sign up. We also have month tournaments for Brawl. No Melee at these monthlies, though, as there's always a combination of lack of time, set-ups, or interest that prevents it from happening. But it's always an option, so if you want to support Melee, then that's always a +1. Check out the Utah Thread if you haven't for more info on the monthlies (that link should link to the post regarding this upcoming one).

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I guess Lucas hasn't informed you. Sunday, May 12 got canceled, so now Smash is going to start early on Saturday and end that night. This will definitely affect your plans greatly, though. I'll take this convo with you to IM to make it faster.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
Is the only downside to registering at the door the increase in venue fee? or would there have been a sick tag on a lanyard that they were going to hand out with the (preregistered) players' name on them? (I understand that they were "badges" being sold, but that could mean a few other things besides a name tag)

Also, how is the progress on the teams front looking?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Teams is pretty much guaranteed to happen, barring some crazy catastrophe. I'll update the first post with info on that soon, probably tomorrow.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Don't be using preemptive johns... If you read it carefully, top-8 of singles will be after doubles. And if you can't make it to top-8 without prior warm-ups from doubles, then you probably won't make top 8 regardless.
I'm doing this because doubles sign-ups will be at-the-door only, so this will give everyone more time to find a partner at the venue if they don't already have one. This is going to help you out more than most, since you keep posting that you need a doubles partner.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Well, Meat never responded to Buzz publicly, so I didn't know. Either way, it'll give everyone else that needs one more time to find a partner.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, he never replied to me. PC? Need a doubles partner? 8D

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
odds are I'm teaming with buzz but I wanna see who's at the venue first!

can't confirm so if you're gunna team with someone else go ahead and do so buzz
worst case scenario my main man level 8 luigi will be a dope ass teamamte

if I was jewish I thin kmy name woulda been meatizmoida

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I'm teaming with Yaz. That's why I wanted to practice with Yaz on Saturday, but we didn't get any practice teaming with each other. I only got practice teaming with Kenny fighting against gkirby and Yaz (so only practice for 3 vs. 1 against Yaz, essentially XD).

Oh, so my original statement on how the schedule will benefit Meat still stands!

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer

can't confirm so if you're gunna team with someone else go ahead and do so buzz
worst case scenario my main man level 8 luigi will be a dope *** teamamte

if I was jewish I thin kmy name woulda been meatizmoida
LOL Dude, I'll team with you. I wanna team with you. I just saw no response from you. We got this. I didn't commit to anyone else.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
LOL dude that RJ teamwork is incredible. I'll never forget when he legit 3 hit to death combo'd me
was seriously next level
Wait. It's happening again. You're posting but not at me.

ARE WE TEAMING OR NOT? XD

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
I thought I made it clear? I want to see who needs a teammate at the venue. I have no clue who's coming from out of region

I prefer to say that rather than "yo'ure my second choice" because that soudns much more insulting

do you play young link in teams?
basically the answer is "probably" because I assume whoever is coming from out of region all has teammates

Top Bottom